fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       15              17       …       31       32       end
  

Archive 2023 · Curious about Film

  
 
bjhurley
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.16 #1 · Curious about Film


lifeandmylens wrote:
Just an update on my foray into film, especially for those who new to it like me, or considering it.



That is so similar to my own experience this year that I could have written much of it myself!

I made a lot of expensive mistakes at the beginning, and continue to make them but at a lower rate.

The big surprise to me was how low-res most 35mm negative film appears compared with digital; so much of the detail and subtlety that I see on digital just isn't there in most of the films I've tried with the same lenses (Ektar comes close but I only like the colors of Ektar on overcast days or in the shade). Slide film is better but is much less forgiving in terms of exposure latitude; you really have to nail exposure correctly. And it's getting harder to find labs that process slide film anyway; mine stopped doing it and they no longer do ECN-2 either, just C-41 and B&W. If I had to start over again I think I'd go with medium format, but for now I'm embracing the 35mm look.

I'm still waffling about whether I like sharp, modern lenses more on film than my vintage lenses; the main advantages to the modern ones are more detail and contrast (especially in B&W) and of course the coatings are better so you don't have to worry so much about flare. But I still gravitate to my older lenses, especially for B&W.



Oct 09, 2023 at 04:51 PM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.16 #2 · Curious about Film


I have a real film retriever but sometimes it doesn't work so I just resort to the slobber method.
I have a bunch of cameras that auto rewind all the way in.



Oct 09, 2023 at 05:16 PM
rji2goleez
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.16 #3 · Curious about Film


lifeandmylens wrote:
Just an update on my foray into film, especially for those who new to it like me, or considering it.

1. I opened the bottom on my first roll before rewinding it, ruining several shots.
2. I had my second roll of film get “lost” in mail, but luckily after a week of no updates on tracking it finally showed up.
3. On my third roll I loaded portra 160 then decided I wanted 800 in that camera instead and rewound it all the way into the canister and wasted that roll. I tossed it before I found out leader
...Show more →

11. When you do pick up your digital M and snap an image, don't be surprised when you try to wind the film to the next frame! I've done that several times.




Oct 09, 2023 at 05:19 PM
rji2goleez
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.16 #4 · Curious about Film


bjhurley wrote:
That is so similar to my own experience this year that I could have written much of it myself!

I made a lot of expensive mistakes at the beginning, and continue to make them but at a lower rate.

The big surprise to me was how low-res most 35mm negative film appears compared with digital; so much of the detail and subtlety that I see on digital just isn't there in most of the films I've tried with the same lenses (Ektar comes close but I only like the colors of Ektar on overcast days or in the shade). Slide film
...Show more →

I think I've been liking modern lenses on film. The Voigtlander APO lenses are awesome.



Oct 09, 2023 at 05:21 PM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.16 #5 · Curious about Film


bjhurley wrote:
That is so similar to my own experience this year that I could have written much of it myself!

I made a lot of expensive mistakes at the beginning, and continue to make them but at a lower rate.

The big surprise to me was how low-res most 35mm negative film appears compared with digital; so much of the detail and subtlety that I see on digital just isn't there in most of the films I've tried with the same lenses (Ektar comes close but I only like the colors of Ektar on overcast days or in the shade). Slide film
...Show more →

Shoot Fuji Acros II. Super silky.



Oct 09, 2023 at 05:30 PM
madNbad
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.16 #6 · Curious about Film




rji2goleez wrote:
11. When you do pick up your digital M and snap an image, don't be surprised when you try to wind the film to the next frame! I've done that several times.




Don’t buy a Thumbs Up.



Oct 09, 2023 at 05:54 PM
bjhurley
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.16 #7 · Curious about Film


Desmolicious wrote:
Shoot Fuji Acros II. Super silky.


Tried it, didn't like it. I like my B&W films grainy and contrasty, but I don't like grain in color films. It's all down to personal preference.



Oct 09, 2023 at 06:04 PM
lifeandmylens
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.16 #8 · Curious about Film


rji2goleez wrote:
11. When you do pick up your digital M and snap an image, don't be surprised when you try to wind the film to the next frame! I've done that several times.


Hah, even worse is the M10-D has a faux rewind lever. I'm sure I'll be thinking the roll is done when it doesn't actually move all the way

rji2goleez wrote:
I think I've been liking modern lenses on film. The Voigtlander APO lenses are awesome.


I saw some pictures you posted with the 28 Ultron. I think that lens is rather harsh on digital, but it looked like it was tamed down a lot on film, it looked great.



Oct 09, 2023 at 06:25 PM
lifeandmylens
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.16 #9 · Curious about Film


Flash worked! 1/50 on the MP. I'm curious to mess around with the SF24D and the m7 now.







Oct 09, 2023 at 06:26 PM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.16 #10 · Curious about Film


bjhurley wrote:
Tried it, didn't like it. I like my B&W films grainy and contrasty, but I don't like grain in color films. It's all down to personal preference.


yeah but no but yeah but if you want resolution 'like' digital, Acros is the only game in town.
But I get it - I like B&W to look like old school B&W! With bite and grain. And for that I highly recommend Kentmere 400.

This pic I took of Daisy is a recent re-post, but it was the last time I shot Acros II. It demonstrates da silk.




Oct 09, 2023 at 07:14 PM
lifeandmylens
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.16 #11 · Curious about Film




bjhurley wrote:
That is so similar to my own experience this year that I could have written much of it myself!

I made a lot of expensive mistakes at the beginning, and continue to make them but at a lower rate.

The big surprise to me was how low-res most 35mm negative film appears compared with digital; so much of the detail and subtlety that I see on digital just isn't there in most of the films I've tried with the same lenses (Ektar comes close but I only like the colors of Ektar on overcast days or in the shade). Slide film
...Show more →

I have to try out my vintage lenses more on film. I may shoot half a roll each with a vintage 35 and modern 35 of the same scene and see the differences.



Oct 09, 2023 at 07:18 PM
bjhurley
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.16 #12 · Curious about Film


lifeandmylens wrote:
I have to try out my vintage lenses more on film. I may shoot half a roll each with a vintage 35 and modern 35 of the same scene and see the differences.


I think it depends on the film. On sharper, finer films I tend to like older lenses for the same reason I like them on digital; on grainy low-res films I find it doesn't matter so much and even my "characterless" modern lenses can look artistic and even mysterious.

My Voigtländer 35/2.5 Color Skopar 2.5 LTM is one of the most neutral and boring lenses I own; it is sharp and reliable and does the job, but nothing about it sings to me on digital or on finer-grain films. But I love it on high-grain films like Fomapan 400 and it also looks great on XP2 400, especially when I shoot it at EI 800.



Oct 09, 2023 at 07:44 PM
madNbad
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.16 #13 · Curious about Film


bjhurley wrote:
Tried it, didn't like it. I like my B&W films grainy and contrasty, but I don't like grain in color films. It's all down to personal preference.


Want gainy and contrasty? Tri-X in Rodinal 1:25, 20C, agitate every thirty seconds for seven minutes:



Learned how to tone it down by going 1:50, ten minutes, thirty seconds continuous agitation to start, two inversions every minute




Oct 09, 2023 at 07:54 PM
stockshas
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.16 #14 · Curious about Film


Curious if anyone tried using the Q2 in macro mode to scan negatives (if it’s even possible) and if so how were the results?


Oct 09, 2023 at 07:58 PM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.16 #15 · Curious about Film


madNbad wrote:
Want gainy and contrasty? Tri-X in Rodinal 1:25, 20C, agitate every thirty seconds for seven minutes:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52209972828_1949889874_b.jpg

Learned how to tone it down by going 1:50, ten minutes, thirty seconds continuous agitation to start, two inversions every minute

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53141070341_ffa0fa7a50_b.jpg



I'm sorry, I thought you said grainy and contrasty?

HP5 in expired DF96 - 75 @ 7.30.




Oct 09, 2023 at 08:07 PM
madNbad
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.16 #16 · Curious about Film




Desmolicious wrote:
I'm sorry, I thought you said grainy and contrasty?

HP5 in expired DF96 - 75 @ 7.30.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53243948902_66265bac22_b.jpg


So, don’t let the monobath sit around. Pretty impressive grain!



Oct 09, 2023 at 08:22 PM
helimat
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.16 #17 · Curious about Film


That and if you don’t shoot Nikon it’s a bit of a faff to get it to work. Although once it was set up I liked that I didn’t have to worry about camera shake, being perfectly perpendicular, etc.

I did find the film carrier faster once set up, so if doing multiple rolls there is an advantage in my opinion... Especially if also shooting other formats as previously stated.

Desmolicious wrote:
Yup it only works for 35mm. Which I shoot a lot of. For 110, 35mm pano, 120 I use a copy stand and digitaliza film carriers.




Oct 10, 2023 at 08:17 AM
madNbad
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.16 #18 · Curious about Film


Changed my mind, decided to give Lightroom Classic and Negative Lab Pro a try. After some initial hiccups and having to install LrC 12.5, everything else was pretty smooth. I have a folder set for the Sony captures and they're automatically imported to LR. Since I'm only doing B&W the conversions are easy. Now my only problem is trying to figure out how to keep the Sony Imaging Edge software from sending a capture to Apple Photos.



Edited on Oct 10, 2023 at 10:20 PM · View previous versions



Oct 10, 2023 at 09:51 PM
madNbad
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.16 #19 · Curious about Film


A few more. M4-2, Voigtlander 35 1.4 Nokton Classic SC V2, 022 filter, Tri-X @ ISO 200, FPP-76 1+1







Some things I noticed right away, my shutter speeds had been hovering around 1/8 to 1/15 now using aperture priority at F8, the speeds are 1/50. Converting numerous captures is a breeze.
Now I just need to learn how and where to file everything. I'm really gald I made the move.



Oct 10, 2023 at 10:18 PM
ottokbre
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.16 #20 · Curious about Film


bjhurley wrote:
I'd avoid those Cinestill films; I lost 80 percent of two rolls of Cinestill 400D due to light leaks (only a few light leaks with other films on the same camera) and lots of other people report the same thing with other Cinestill films. See Bastian's experience and samples with the 800T here: https://phillipreeve.net/blog/analogue-adventures-part-7-cinestill-800t/


I will probably stop shooting Cinestill just because they have been copyright trolling their competition over using shorthand like 800T.



Oct 11, 2023 at 11:48 AM
1       2       3       …       15              17       …       31       32       end




FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       15              17       …       31       32       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account