FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              8              10       11       12       end

The pitfalls of the high end film P&S

Desmolicious
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #1 · p.9 #1 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S

genji wrote:
AF Slim Zoom ordered. ~USD30 wth the shipping from UK to Australia costing the same amount. What does the Snap button do?

Dood, you coulda had nachos..

SNAP mode presets focus to about 8ft and sets focal length to 35mm. The owner’s manual says everything will be in focus from 4ft to 16ft.
Great for taking pics w zero delay eg street, skateboarders, your own kids etc

Manual can be found here, throw the man a $ or $$ if you want.

https://cameramanuals.org/samsung/samsung_af-slim-zoom-e-s.pdf

Feb 19, 2024 at 10:42 AM
mranger211
• •
p.9 #2 · p.9 #2 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S

Desmolicious wrote:
The Rollei version - which is identical in all ways apart from having ‘Rollei’ written on it instead of ‘Samsung’ goes for at leasr $50 more. Interestingly the few Rolleis that I have seen were trashed, while you can easily find the Samsung in great shape.

Well, just knowing that you have a Rollei is surely worth the extra $50. The photos will be soooo much better I noticed it seems pretty much impossible to find one in a decent state. Very strange, indeed.

Feb 19, 2024 at 03:04 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.9 #3 · p.9 #3 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S

mranger211 wrote:
Well, just knowing that you have a Rollei is surely worth the extra $50. The photos will be soooo much better I noticed it seems pretty much impossible to find one in a decent state. Very strange, indeed.

The Leica AF-C1 is near to identical to the Minolta AF-Tele Super. The difference is that the Leica has a red dot. It is made by Minolta in Japan next to Minolta's version.
I had the Leica version - nice camera, nice pics. But if it did not have the red dot it would have felt every bit as plasticky cheap as the Minolta. Right now you can buy the Minolta for $20, the Leica for $300.

Feb 19, 2024 at 04:07 PM
genji
• • • •
p.9 #4 · p.9 #4 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S

Desmolicious wrote:
Dood, you coulda had nachos..

SNAP mode presets focus to about 8ft and sets focal length to 35mm. The owner’s manual says everything will be in focus from 4ft to 16ft.
Great for taking pics w zero delay eg street, skateboarders, your own kids etc

Manual can be found here, throw the man a $ or $$ if you want.

https://cameramanuals.org/samsung/samsung_af-slim-zoom-e-s.pdf

I should have checked because I’ve downloaded manuals from his site before (and sent him some $$ on a couple of occasions).

Feb 19, 2024 at 06:40 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.9 #5 · p.9 #5 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S

I've sent him $$ because often I read his manuals just to find info on a camera I am thinking of getting!

Feb 19, 2024 at 07:14 PM
mranger211
• •
p.9 #6 · p.9 #6 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S

Desmolicious wrote:
The Leica AF-C1 is near to identical to the Minolta AF-Tele Super. The difference is that the Leica has a red dot. It is made by Minolta in Japan next to Minolta's version.
I had the Leica version - nice camera, nice pics. But if it did not have the red dot it would have felt every bit as plasticky cheap as the Minolta. Right now you can buy the Minolta for $20, the Leica for $300.

Oh yes, that one. I was planning to get the Minolta version but never did. Are they worth it, you think, say compared to the Smasung?

Feb 20, 2024 at 12:34 PM
_jim_
• •
p.9 #7 · p.9 #7 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S

I have lusted after the Klasse or Natura 1.9 for a long time.

But, recently, when moving apartments I found an Olympus Stylus Epic in a box of my partner's digital detritus (old phones/hard drives/etc). So...I got it for free! It's fun enough. The controls are a little clunky, but the form factor and pocketability are hard to match...plus it's my only flash.

I assume that it will break soon enough and it has mostly cured my desire for more financially painful P&S.

Hotdog Party by Jim Fischer, on Flickr

Chromatography by Jim Fischer, on Flickr

Feb 20, 2024 at 01:02 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.9 #8 · p.9 #8 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S

_jim_ wrote:
I have lusted after the Klasse or Natura 1.9 for a long time.

But, recently, when moving apartments I found an Olympus Stylus Epic in a box of my partner's digital detritus (old phones/hard drives/etc). So...I got it for free! It's fun enough. The controls are a little clunky, but the form factor and pocketability are hard to match...plus it's my only flash.

I assume that it will break soon enough and it has mostly cured my desire for more financially painful P&S.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53487945254_8a935c6f0f_b.jpgHotdog Party by Jim Fischer, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53529981281_e118e6f1b4_b.jpgChromatography by Jim Fischer, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53530173858_be2cc510c6_b.jpgChromatography by Jim Fischer, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53529109637_75b3220e4b_b.jpgChromatography by Jim Fischer,
...Show more

Nice pics, hate the date/time stamp. But that can be turned off I'm sure.
Just use it, the price was right.

Feb 20, 2024 at 05:44 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.9 #9 · p.9 #9 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S

mranger211 wrote:
Oh yes, that one. I was planning to get the Minolta version but never did. Are they worth it, you think, say compared to the Smasung?

Get the Samsung.

Feb 20, 2024 at 05:45 PM
genji
• • • •
p.9 #10 · p.9 #10 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S

Desmolicious wrote:
Get the Samsung.

Nah, get the nachos.

Feb 20, 2024 at 06:06 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.9 #11 · p.9 #11 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S

genji wrote:
Nah, get the nachos.

If you look at the Venn diagram, they intersect.

Feb 20, 2024 at 06:09 PM
Alpha_Geist
• • •
p.9 #12 · p.9 #12 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S

My Samsung AF Slim Zoom came in over a week ago. I have some Lomography 100 color negative film in it right now…about 1/3 into the roll. I take the camera with me wherever I go, even if I don’t take a shot with it while out. I wish I could do the same with my digital cameras.

I’ve played with the Infinity mode a few times and the Fuzzy mode once. Have yet to try Portrait mode. I’m a bit excited to see the results this camera can deliver once I’ve finished the roll. It might be a while since I’m no where near as prolific as Huss. He must have binders full of negatives! >_<

This is dangerous because I’ve been looking at other P&S cameras. Almost pulled the trigger on a Nikonos V with 35mm f/2.5, with the intent to shoot it above water. :P

Feb 20, 2024 at 06:57 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.9 #13 · p.9 #13 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S

Alpha_Geist wrote:
My Samsung AF Slim Zoom came in over a week ago. I have some Lomography 100 color negative film in it right now…about 1/3 into the roll. I take the camera with me wherever I go, even if I don’t take a shot with it while out. I wish I could do the same with my digital cameras.

This is dangerous because I’ve been looking at other P&S cameras. Almost pulled the trigger on a Nikonos V with 35mm f/2.5, with the intent to shoot it above water. :P

That’s the thing, this camera is so easy to take along and fun to use, you just do. While the serious cameras stay home.

I have the Nikonos V w 35, and while it is a zone focus camera I wouldnt really describe it as a p&s. For that it needs to be small, af, and built in flash.
That 35mm lens on the Nikonos is superb.

Feb 20, 2024 at 11:19 PM
geekcop
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #14 · p.9 #14 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S

I'm now the proud owner of a Samsung AF Slim Zoom from eBay. A roll of the dice being that it is from eBay, but I got it for $20 + shipping. So, only a little bit of money at risk. I'll post pictures of it once I get it. Then run some film through it and see what I get.

Feb 23, 2024 at 10:33 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.9 #15 · p.9 #15 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S

geekcop wrote:
I'm now the proud owner of a Samsung AF Slim Zoom from eBay. A roll of the dice being that it is from eBay, but I got it for $20 + shipping. So, only a little bit of money at risk. I'll post pictures of it once I get it. Then run some film through it and see what I get.

All my p&s purchases were off ebay, all were the cheapest that looked ok, and all were fine.

Feb 23, 2024 at 10:56 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.9 #16 · p.9 #16 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S

The funny thing is I bought my Nikon N80/F80 for the same $20 as the p&s cameras. The N80 is basically an amazing semi pro SLR.
But in comparison it is a big chunky thing that you cannot slip in your pocket and forget its there.

Still, shows how ridiculously cheap great photo gear is if you stay away from trendy ‘influencer’ stuff.

Feb 23, 2024 at 11:00 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.9 #17 · p.9 #17 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S

Speaking of rolling the dice... 2 years ago bought a pristine Leica M4 from camerawest - a Leica dealership. Perfect condition (or so it seemed), just serviced. $2500, had to return it because the shutter was defective.
Bought the brand new 2022 Leica M6 - scratched film and was an ordeal to get that taken care of.

My $20 ebay cameras? None scratched film, all worked perfectly and still do.

Feb 23, 2024 at 11:16 AM
tntcorp1
• •
p.9 #18 · p.9 #18 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1460362/Fujifilm-Klasse-W.html

perhaps there are troubleshooting guide in case you don't have the user manual.

Feb 23, 2024 at 11:58 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.9 #19 · p.9 #19 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S

tntcorp1 wrote:
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1460362/Fujifilm-Klasse-W.html

perhaps there are troubleshooting guide in case you don't have the user manual.

TY, but nope, flip it with a spatula that kitten won't hunt.

(Already have the manual, and the camera repair dood confirmed DOA).

Feb 23, 2024 at 12:09 PM
tntcorp1
• •
p.9 #20 · p.9 #20 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S

Desmolicious wrote:
TY, but nope, flip it with a spatula that kitten won't hunt.

(Already have the manual, and the camera repair dood confirmed DOA).

oh, that's too bad.. doa b/c he can't get replacement parts?

Feb 23, 2024 at 12:21 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.