FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4              6              17       18       end

Official: Leica Q3 Unveiled, Now Open for Pre-Orders

lifeandmylens
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Official: Leica Q3 Unveiled, Now Open for Pre-Orders

Jman13 wrote:
Doesn't this have a leaf shutter anyway? Not sure why electronic shutter would be much of a consideration, since I can't imagine the main shutter is loud.

Yes itís very quiet. But it only goes to 1/2000.

May 26, 2023 at 01:46 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Official: Leica Q3 Unveiled, Now Open for Pre-Orders

highdesertmesa wrote:
There is some expense tied to the name, but you can't forget that the cost to make these in Germany is exceedingly more expensive than Japan. If Leica moved it's lens manufacturing to Japan, they could produce lenses at a much more reasonable price Ė probably still double that of a Voigtlander, but not 10x as much.

There is also a big difference in the cost to produce some Leica lenses simply due to the smaller form factor. It's rumored there's only one person working at Leica with the skill to assemble the new 35 APO.

Supply (low) and demand (high) also
...Show more

Agreed. They've certainly worked out a great balance, and as I've said many, many times: they clearly know what they're doing and make extremely high quality products.

May 26, 2023 at 01:47 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Official: Leica Q3 Unveiled, Now Open for Pre-Orders

1bwana1 wrote:
In the tripod mounted comparison with the SL2-S I am still seeing the distortion in the window frame with the Q3. Maybe its just me.

Yes, it's more noticeable to me there too, but less so in the first set.

May 26, 2023 at 02:29 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Official: Leica Q3 Unveiled, Now Open for Pre-Orders

Jman13 wrote:
Let's be honest here, though - you're suggesting how affordable a Leica M kit is by proposing an 11 year old camera body and then all lenses NOT made by Leica...showing how insanely expensive Leica gear is.

If you bought the equivalent stuff using current production Leica lenses, you're getting an M11 with 28 Summicron, 50 APO Summicron and a 90 (Either summicron or Elmar). Total cost: $9000+$5100+$9100+$4100 (assuming Elmar) = $27,300.

And I'm sorry, there is no way anyone can convince me that a 50 APO Summicron is worth 9x what a Voigtlander 50/2 APO Lanthar is worth. Because
...Show more

It's difficult to justify the cost of Leica lenses when other brands offer similar or in some cases, even better performance. I could sell one of my Leica lenses and buy a whole kit of five lenses from Voigtlander and Zeiss instead. However, what makes Leica lenses special is their unique feel, mechanics, and style that other manufacturers try to imitate.

With a manual focus Leica M camera (instead of the Q), you have the flexibility to choose your preferred focal length and find a used lens that fits your needs. By sticking to this focal length and only adding another lens when absolutely necessary, you can keep your camera system compact and consistent without breaking the bank. For instance, you could consider pairing a used Leica M camera with either a used Leica 28mm and 50mm lens combination or a 35mm and 90mm lens combination.

PS: I should listen to my own advice.

May 26, 2023 at 03:26 PM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Official: Leica Q3 Unveiled, Now Open for Pre-Orders

highdesertmesa wrote:
There is some expense tied to the name, but you can't forget that the cost to make these in Germany is exceedingly more expensive than Japan. If Leica moved it's lens manufacturing to Japan, they could produce lenses at a much more reasonable price Ė probably still double that of a Voigtlander, but not 10x as much.

There is also a big difference in the cost to produce some Leica lenses simply due to the smaller form factor. It's rumored there's only one person working at Leica with the skill to assemble the new 35 APO.

...Show more

Funny Leica had me take a survey where they asked if I would accept Leica products made in Japan in order to have a lower price.

May 26, 2023 at 03:53 PM
serhan_
• • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Official: Leica Q3 Unveiled, Now Open for Pre-Orders

Actually Leica Q/Q2/Q3 roots goes back to Leica Digilux 2 / Panasonic LC1 collaboration. Q3 shows the 20 years of P&S advancement as Q3 90mm 5.8MP crop matches to Digilux 2 28-90mm 5MP

Amateur Photographer. Leica Digilux 2Ėthe first classic digital camera

lensfan wrote:
Looks like they put Sigma I-series on Leica these days?

Already Leica Q3 - Firmware 1.1.0 is out with some sample shots:

https://leica-camera.com/en-US/photography/cameras/q/q3-black/technical-specification

May 26, 2023 at 04:01 PM
lifeandmylens
• • • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Official: Leica Q3 Unveiled, Now Open for Pre-Orders

Fred Miranda wrote:
and only adding another lens when absolutely necessary

What foreign language is this?

May 26, 2023 at 04:17 PM
flash
• • • • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Official: Leica Q3 Unveiled, Now Open for Pre-Orders

The Q3 looks really really good. I love all the upgrades. And I hope they all flow to the SL3 because I just canít justify another fixed 28mm lens camera. My Q2 is fantastic but I reckon Iíve done less than a thousands frames in total. And I really donít want to crop to 9MPÖ.

Iím very happy for all of you who are enjoying the new Q. And FINALLY the buttons have been moved to the right. The play button is where it should be on all mirrorless cameras.

Gordon

May 26, 2023 at 04:25 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · Official: Leica Q3 Unveiled, Now Open for Pre-Orders

serhan_ wrote:
Already Leica Q3 - Firmware 1.1.0 is out with some sample shots: https://leica-camera.com/en-US/photography/cameras/q/q3-black/technical-specification

That was fast!

May 26, 2023 at 04:27 PM
itai195
• • • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · Official: Leica Q3 Unveiled, Now Open for Pre-Orders

flash wrote:
The Q3 looks really really good. I love all the upgrades. And I hope they all flow to the SL3 because I just canít justify another fixed 28mm lens camera. My Q2 is fantastic but I reckon Iíve done less than a thousands frames in total. And I really donít want to crop to 9MPÖ.

Iím very happy for all of you who are enjoying the new Q. And FINALLY the buttons have been moved to the right. The play button is where it should be on all mirrorless cameras.

Gordon

I am so torn because yes, fundamentally the buttons should be on the right. But muscle memory between the Q and my M11 dictates they should be on the left

May 26, 2023 at 05:39 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Fred Miranda
Admin
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · Official: Leica Q3 Unveiled, Now Open for Pre-Orders

lifeandmylens wrote:
Sure here is one better, with lots of vertical and horizontal lines. I didn't use a tripod since it wouldn't technically be an equal FOV since the Summaron is much smaller. So I set them both on a table with the front of each lens lined up with the front edge of the table. Also used an M10-r this time @ ISO 100. Lens corrections are turned off in LR. The Summaron as you can see vignettes a little.

Thank you for sharing this information. It's intriguing to note that Leica has provided a diagonal angle of view of 75 degrees for both their 28/5.6 Summaron and 28mm f/1.4 Summilux lenses. Based on my calculations, this corresponds to a focal length of 27.7mm for both lenses.. However, it is interesting that Leica does not disclose the angle of view for the lens on the Q camera and the reason behind this omission raises curiosity. Why would they choose not to provide that information?

Well, based on the uncorrected sample you shared, I tend to agree with the online comments suggesting that the Q's 28mm f/1.7 Lux lens is essentially a 24mm lens. Leica compensates for the hard vignetting and significant barrel distortion in-camera, resulting in an effective 26mm lens. It's likely that they labeled it as 28mm to avoid the unusual notion of a fixed 26mm lens. Nevertheless, a 26mm lens has both drawbacks and benefits, particularly when utilized for architectural and landscape photography. It's certainly worth considering! Thank again you for sharing this!

May 26, 2023 at 08:33 PM
lensfan
• • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · Official: Leica Q3 Unveiled, Now Open for Pre-Orders

highdesertmesa wrote:

...Show more

I don't see how German production adds 5x-10x costs compared to Japanese.
It looks like Leica has been historically very bad at raising talent. Only one person can assemble high quality lenses, only one person can polish high quality glass, etc. If they had two for each - could save a lot on labor costs. Their strategists should pay more attention to succession plan for production line employees.

May 26, 2023 at 09:18 PM
lensfan
• • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · Official: Leica Q3 Unveiled, Now Open for Pre-Orders

Fred Miranda wrote:
Thank you for sharing this information. It's intriguing to note that Leica has provided a diagonal angle of view of 75 degrees for both their 28/5.6 Summaron and 28mm f/1.4 Summilux lenses. Based on my calculations, this corresponds to a focal length of 27.7mm for both lenses.. However, it is interesting that Leica does not disclose the angle of view for the lens on the Q camera and the reason behind this omission raises curiosity. Why would they choose not to provide that information?

Well, based on the uncorrected sample you shared, I tend to agree with the online comments
...Show more

All this does not sound like Leica, optical and mechanical perfection. Sounds more like collaboration with Chinese manufacturers where they sell the red dot badge.

May 26, 2023 at 09:25 PM
CVickery
• • • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · Official: Leica Q3 Unveiled, Now Open for Pre-Orders

Fred Miranda wrote:

Well, based on the uncorrected sample you shared, I tend to agree with the online comments
...Show more

My suspicion is that the the diagonal angle of view of the Summaron and the Summilux are reported since they are based on hardware and therefore a fixed value (at infinity). The Summilux on the Q series relies heavily on software correction and as such it's possible that there could be updates to firmware that might change the diagonal angle of view somewhat. I can't see them specifying a AOV of 77 degrees with firmware version 1.23...highlights the use of software correction, a practice that causes concern for some photographers.

May 26, 2023 at 10:31 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · Official: Leica Q3 Unveiled, Now Open for Pre-Orders

lensfan wrote:
I don't see how German production adds 5x-10x costs compared to Japanese.
It looks like Leica has been historically very bad at raising talent. Only one person can assemble high quality lenses, only one person can polish high quality glass, etc. If they had two for each - could save a lot on labor costs. Their strategists should pay more attention to succession plan for production line employees.

I pretty much said the same thing; that moving production to Japan would reduce the price, but they would still cost more than Voigtlander. I donít understand the comment about ďbad at raising talentĒ. Only one person can assemble the 35 APO, not the entire line, FFS.

A while back, Leica actually sent a survey out to some of us who own their gear. It was a lens survey on ďthis versus thatĒ preferences. Most of the questions were about lens designs, but one asked a question about price on the same M lens, one made in Germany at $X and one in Japan at $X. The Japanese production example was much, much less. I donít know all the reasons why, but if I had to guess, it probably was based on an estimate of having Panasonic, Sigma, or Cosina produce the lens.

Edited on May 27, 2023 at 07:02 AM · View previous versions

May 27, 2023 at 07:01 AM
lifeandmylens
• • • •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · Official: Leica Q3 Unveiled, Now Open for Pre-Orders

Another probably useless comparison for most of you.

- Infinity with the Q3 and M10R+28 Summaron both @ f/5.6
- Infinity with the Q3 (in 35 crop mode @ f/1.7) and SL2-S+35SL @ f/2

The field of view on the 35mm crop mode is pretty close. Maybe 34mm. I left white balance on AWB and didn't correct in post. Only edit in post was -100 highlights on all of them.

LEICA M10-R    Summaron-M 1:5.6/28 lens    28mm    f/5.6    1/30s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

LEICA Q3    SUMMILUX 1:1.7/28 ASPH. lens    28mm    f/5.6    1/30s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

LEICA SL2-S    SUMMICRON-SL 1:2/35 ASPH. lens    35mm    f/2.0    1/500s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

LEICA Q3    SUMMILUX 1:1.7/28 ASPH. lens    28mm    f/1.7    1/500s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

May 27, 2023 at 07:01 AM
lifeandmylens
• • • •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · Official: Leica Q3 Unveiled, Now Open for Pre-Orders

A couple more this time with the 50ís. Q3 (in 50 crop mode at f/1.7) and SL2-S+50SL @ f/2. 1st set is maybe 500 ft~ and the second set is around 1m.

LEICA SL2-S    SUMMICRON-SL 1:2/50 ASPH. lens    50mm    f/2.0    1/1000s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

LEICA Q3    SUMMILUX 1:1.7/28 ASPH. lens    28mm    f/1.7    1/1000s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

LEICA SL2-S    SUMMICRON-SL 1:2/50 ASPH. lens    50mm    f/2.0    1/1000s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

LEICA Q3    SUMMILUX 1:1.7/28 ASPH. lens    28mm    f/1.7    1/1000s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

May 27, 2023 at 07:30 AM
patotts
• • • •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · Official: Leica Q3 Unveiled, Now Open for Pre-Orders

Fred Miranda wrote:
I appreciate the previous test. Would it be possible for you to conduct another test using a tripod? Additionally, I would like to thank you for providing the uncorrected version, which demonstrates the distortion.

According to online discussions, it is suggested that the Leica 28mm f/1.7 Summilux lens has a focal length of 24mm before distortion correction and 26mm after correction. It does not have the angle of view of a 28mm lens.

This explains a lot. I've owned the Q, Q2 and Q2M but after some use, even with all the advantages of the small package, I always find the images just a tad too wide for my liking.

Shouldn't there be more of an uproar about this? 24-26mm lens is different from 28. Leica shouldn't be allowed to market it as a 28/1.7 lens, it is basically false information.

May 27, 2023 at 08:39 AM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · Official: Leica Q3 Unveiled, Now Open for Pre-Orders

lifeandmylens wrote:
Rolling shutter.

Thanks for posting the technical images.

Question for you or those that might understand leaf shutter more than I:

My understanding is rolling shutter can be a result of slow sensor read out speed. However, since the Q cameras have always had a leaf shutter Q3 included, why are we seeing Q3 rolling shutter? From what I read the leaf shutter has the ability to lower or eliminate rolling shutter. Or am I mixing apples/oranges?

May 27, 2023 at 09:00 AM
RustyRus
• • •
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · Official: Leica Q3 Unveiled, Now Open for Pre-Orders

LBJ2 wrote:
Thanks for posting the technical images.

Question for you or those that might understand leaf shutter more than I:

My understanding is rolling shutter can be a result of sensor read out speed. However, since the Q cameras have always had a leaf shutter Q3 included, why are we seeing Q3 rolling shutter? From what I read the leaf shutter has the ability to lower or eliminate rolling shutter. Or am I mixing apples/oranges?

The Leica Q3 uses Mechanical Shutter (leaf) for anything at or below 1/2000 sec and Electronic Shutter (ES) for anything above 1/2000 and up to 1/16000. Thatís it I am reading the specs correctly .

The leaf shutter is still mechanical itís just in the diaphragm of the lens.

Edited on May 27, 2023 at 09:08 AM · View previous versions

May 27, 2023 at 09:06 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.