FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5       end

Official: Voigtlander 27mm F/2 Ultron

Juha Kannisto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Official: Voigtlander 27mm F/2 Ultron

Hi Fred,

Nice to see that you also received 27/2 already! Does your sample also have perfect hard infinity calibration, i.e. no need to pull back from hard infinity for peak sharpness at long distance shots?

Today we have finally some nice weather in Tokyo and I did some shooting in Yokohama before coming to work at the office (still working remotely from home on most days but recently need to work at the office every now and then and office moved to Yokohama) so I will share some samples later today.

Jun 15, 2023 at 09:31 PM
Nick Dakota
• • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Official: Voigtlander 27mm F/2 Ultron

Looking forward to the review. Mine comes Saturday via Camera Quest. It looks tiny compared to the 23mm. Didn't think it was that small. Looks like focus tab was definitely needed.

Fred Miranda wrote:
I just got the Voigtlander 27mm f/2 Ultron lens and I'm about to start a review! My initial thoughts are really positive. I love how it feels in my hands, and it's smaller than I thought it would be. I took a few pictures and I'm impressed with the sharpness and overall rendering. The focus tab works great and the rotation is smooth. The aperture ring clicks nicely and stops at every 1/3rd increment.

Jun 15, 2023 at 11:43 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Official: Voigtlander 27mm F/2 Ultron

Juha Kannisto wrote:
Hi Fred,

Nice to see that you also received 27/2 already! Does your sample also have perfect hard infinity calibration, i.e. no need to pull back from hard infinity for peak sharpness at long distance shots?

Today we have finally some nice weather in Tokyo and I did some shooting in Yokohama before coming to work at the office (still working remotely from home on most days but recently need to work at the office every now and then and office moved to Yokohama) so I will share some samples later today.

Hi Juha,
I will check the infinity hard stop tomorrow and let you know. Can't wait to see your samples!
Fingers crossed that the sun decides to make a comeback here!

Jun 16, 2023 at 02:40 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Official: Voigtlander 27mm F/2 Ultron

Fred Miranda wrote:
Hi Juha,
I will check the infinity hard stop tomorrow and let you know. Can't wait to see your samples!
Fingers crossed that the sun decides to make a comeback here!

Technically, IIRC, one issue with the old (and familiar to some of us who cut our teeth on manual focus cameras) is that the actual infinity focus point can vary depending on things like temperature and so on. As I understand it, that's one reason that modern AF lenses don't use a "hard stop" at infinity any more.

This might be a minor issue, and it certainly was "close enough" back in the day when we weren't trying to make 20" x 30" prints from shots that we made using focus estimates.

Dan

Jun 16, 2023 at 09:11 AM
fotografur
• • • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Official: Voigtlander 27mm F/2 Ultron

Fred Miranda wrote:
Here are some samples from this cloudy day:

I think your lens is broke Fred. It looks to be stuck at f2

That first flower pic is lovely.

Jun 16, 2023 at 09:38 AM
Juha Kannisto
• • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Official: Voigtlander 27mm F/2 Ultron

gdanmitchell wrote:
Technically, IIRC, one issue with the old (and familiar to some of us who cut our teeth on manual focus cameras) is that the actual infinity focus point can vary depending on things like temperature and so on. As I understand it, that's one reason that modern AF lenses don't use a "hard stop" at infinity any more.

This might be a minor issue, and it certainly was "close enough" back in the day when we weren't trying to make 20" x 30" prints from shots that we made using focus estimates.

Dan

I'm aware of this but I haven't personally ever really seen noticeable variance when using the the same lenses on my cameras depending on temperature or other conditions and I think it's a smaller problem than when the hard stop is always unusable by design. Most M-mount lenses (also including the new ones from Cosina Voigtländer) don't seem to have a problem with having hard stop right at the optimal infinity position (I think many M-mount lens users expect this) and I think it wouldn't really be necessary to have such extra leeway on most mirrorless MF lenses either. For that reason I use mainly Rayqual adapters with my M-mount lenses since Rayqual try to make those adapters exactly right in terms of thickness (unlike most other mount adapters).

Jun 16, 2023 at 09:47 AM
Juha Kannisto
• • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Official: Voigtlander 27mm F/2 Ultron

Here are some of my samples from earlier this week and mostly from today. I shot a lot of Yokohama infinity cityscapes at f5.6 today near my workplace, and a smaller number of photos are at f2. A couple in low light were at f2.8 as I wanted to see some sunstars.

These are SOOC JPEGs from my X-S10 with standard Provia film simulation and no other adjustments:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ewvNkUQycU9PNTto9

Jun 16, 2023 at 09:50 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Official: Voigtlander 27mm F/2 Ultron

Juha Kannisto wrote:
Here are some of my samples from earlier this week and mostly from today. I shot a lot of Yokohama infinity cityscapes at f5.6 today near my workplace, and a smaller number of photos are at f2. A couple in low light were at f2.8 as I wanted to see some sunstars.

These are SOOC JPEGs from my X-S10 with standard Provia film simulation and no other adjustments:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ewvNkUQycU9PNTto9

I really like the shots of Yokohama! The Fuji building is so impressive, and you had such perfect weather for a nice walk around.
Over here, the weather is still pretty cloudy, but I'm gonna give some infinity resolution tests a shot. Gotta say, I'm pretty impressed with the lens. It has a unique rendering that's not overly modern. I notice some outlining and character, which I really appreciate.

Jun 16, 2023 at 10:18 AM
Juha Kannisto
• • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Official: Voigtlander 27mm F/2 Ultron

Fred Miranda wrote:
I really like the shots of Yokohama! The Fuji building is so impressive, and you had such perfect weather for a nice walk around.
Over here, the weather is still pretty cloudy, but I'm gonna give some infinity resolution tests a shot. Gotta say, I'm pretty impressed with the lens. It has a unique rendering that's not overly modern. I notice some outlining and character, which I really appreciate.

Thanks very much, Fred! Yes the weather was really nice today. The weather forecast is also promising clear sunny skies for the weekend and 30 degrees Celcius so I'm hoping to be able to shoot a lot more this weekend

I'm also very impressed with this lens and I like the wide open bokeh rendering a lot too from what I've seen so far.

Jun 16, 2023 at 10:25 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Official: Voigtlander 27mm F/2 Ultron

Juha Kannisto wrote:
Thanks very much, Fred! Yes the weather was really nice today. The weather forecast is also promising clear sunny skies for the weekend and 30 degrees Celcius so I'm hoping to be able to shoot a lot more this weekend

I'm also very impressed with this lens and I like the wide open bokeh rendering a lot too from what I've seen so far.

Sounds great! I'm actually in the process of planning a trip to Tokyo. 😄

By the way, I had the chance to try out the 27/2 Ultron lens today and I can confirm that its hard stop is set to true infinity. This is the first X-mount lens from Voigtlander to have this feature.

The performance of the Voigtlander 27mm f/2 Ultron lens was excellent when focused at infinity. It displayed great sharpness, not only at the center but also in the mid-field and extreme corners, even at its widest aperture of f/2. Unlike many other lens designs in this focal length, which often exhibit a dip in sharpness in the mid-field, this lens exhibits no such issue.

Jun 16, 2023 at 06:27 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Sr.Cordeiro
• • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Official: Voigtlander 27mm F/2 Ultron

I'm enjoying reading this reports on 27mm, also watching the samples, thanks for sharing.

After some thought, I've decided it's not the lens for me, I can't justify the purchase.
It looks like a solid performer, but the bokeh has too much "character" for my taste, I know it would bother me on the long run.

I think it's better to keep my Fujinon XC 35mm f/2 and TTartisan 27mm f/2.8. Maybe trade the XC for the XF version sometime in the future, the lack of aperture ring is the main reason I don't find it fun to use, but it remains the Fujinon lens I like the most regarding price, size and output.

To cure my MF lens itch, I just got a Pergear 25mm f/1.8 (second time I get one). The focal length is pratically the same, maybe it's a bit longer than 25mm, I've tested it against both the Fujinon and TTartisan 27mm lenses and it's just a tiny bit wider, really unnoticeable in real use.

Of course it's not as good as the Voigtlander 27mm in almost every aspect, but despite it's flaws, I still love it's rendering and got some good results from the previous copy. At 80 eur. I wont battle myself to justify the purchase

Anyway, please keep the reports coming, I'll still admire this lens from afar

Jun 17, 2023 at 08:08 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Official: Voigtlander 27mm F/2 Ultron

So far I am impressed by the CV 27/2 Ultron. It’s like shooting with the full frame Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM in terms of focal length, compactness and depth of field, but with the advantage of having a wider aperture for lower ISO noise in low light.

Cosina has managed to create a lens that is both compact and delivers outstanding image quality. I haven't written my review yet, but I'm already incredibly impressed with it. What I particularly love about this lens is that it produces excellent resolution and contrast, although its rendering style isn't as smooth as that of modern lenses. It has a unique and distinct rendering quality that, in my opinion, makes it stand out from the rest.
Distortion and vignetting is also low for such design. Not tested field curvature yet.

Here are a few more photo samples taken with the Voigtlander 27/2 Ultron lens:
(various film simulations)

X-Pro3    VOIGTLANDER ULTRON 27mm F2 lens    27mm    f/2.0    1/12800s    160 ISO    0.0 EV  

X-Pro3    VOIGTLANDER ULTRON 27mm F2 lens    27mm    f/5.6    1/1250s    160 ISO    0.0 EV  

X-Pro3    VOIGTLANDER ULTRON 27mm F2 lens    27mm    f/2.0    1/2900s    160 ISO    0.0 EV  

X-Pro3    VOIGTLANDER ULTRON 27mm F2 lens    27mm    f/2.0    1/7500s    160 ISO    0.0 EV  

X-Pro3    VOIGTLANDER ULTRON 27mm F2 lens    27mm    f/2.0    1/4700s    160 ISO    0.0 EV  

X-Pro3    VOIGTLANDER ULTRON 27mm F2 lens    27mm    f/2.0    1/8000s    160 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jun 17, 2023 at 10:53 AM
Juha Kannisto
• • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Official: Voigtlander 27mm F/2 Ultron

Great shots Fred!

I spent a lot of time with the lens (on my X-S10) today at Hama-Rikyu Gardens (in Tokyo) and nearby areas and enjoyed a lot of shooting since the weather was great.

More samples:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/5Tm3WTMfd1buipdW6

Most were taken at f5.6 and f2 and all are SOOC JPEGs from Camera with standard Provia film simulation and no other settings modified.

Really enjoying the lens, the 0.25m close focusing capability as well as the ease of using hard infinity make it very versatile and I like the IQ a lot. I also have the VM 40/2.8 (0.7m close focusing is not as nice) and the original 40/2.8 designed for Sony E with VM-E close focus adapter, but that one also doesn't focus as close and the usability is not as nice with the helicoid adapter (and hard infinity is not usable with those adapters).

Jun 17, 2023 at 11:55 AM
ZdevilH1
• • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Official: Voigtlander 27mm F/2 Ultron

So good to see Cosina making more lenses for the Fuji System. This totally reminds me of the CV 40mm f2.8, a fine lens as some of you stated above. For now, I am sticking with the CV 40mm f1.4 for my Monochrome; love that rendering in BW.

Jun 17, 2023 at 12:49 PM
Nick Dakota
• • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Official: Voigtlander 27mm F/2 Ultron

Got mine a little while ago and it handles very nice on my XP3 and XE4. I am shocked at how sharp and contrasty it is at F2. Hard stop infinity seems to be on point. Full frame has excellent sharpness across at 5.6. Seems more like Voigtlander rendering with Zeiss sharpness and microcontrast. Not a bad combo if you ask me. I'll post some samples later.

ETA: focus tab although small, is very functional. Not sure if it's because I've shot a lot of Leica, but this lens is super easy to focus with it. Probably one of the easiest focusing lenses I've used with an EVF.

Jun 17, 2023 at 06:52 PM
noradii

p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Official: Voigtlander 27mm F/2 Ultron

Really interested in this lens, so far its great to hear such high praises. Im wandering if the DoF scale is correct? I see mixed opinions on Depth of field scales for CV lenses on native X mount.

Jun 18, 2023 at 08:29 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Official: Voigtlander 27mm F/2 Ultron

noradii wrote:
Really interested in this lens, so far its great to hear such high praises. Im wandering if the DoF scale is correct? I see mixed opinions on Depth of field scales for CV lenses on native X mount.

I haven't read any reports of the DoF scales being misaligned on the Nokton 23 or Ultron 35. I have heard reports of the distance scale being misaligned on both, which would cause the DoF scale to appear incorrect. All three users in this thread who received their lenses report getting infinity at the hard stop, which is a good indication their copies are free from the issue.

For what it's worth, my copies of the 23 and 35 were perfect out of the box on the first try, so it was likely a batch problem with them.

Jun 18, 2023 at 06:13 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Official: Voigtlander 27mm F/2 Ultron

Juha Kannisto wrote:
Great shots Fred!

I spent a lot of time with the lens (on my X-S10) today at Hama-Rikyu Gardens (in Tokyo) and nearby areas and enjoyed a lot of shooting since the weather was great.

More samples:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/5Tm3WTMfd1buipdW6

Most were taken at f5.6 and f2 and all are SOOC JPEGs from Camera with standard Provia film simulation and no other settings modified.

Really enjoying the lens, the 0.25m close focusing capability as well as the ease of using hard infinity make it very versatile and I like the IQ a lot. I also have the VM 40/2.8 (0.7m close focusing is not as nice)
...Show more

Lovely Juha!

Jun 23, 2023 at 01:26 PM
hans m

p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Official: Voigtlander 27mm F/2 Ultron

A couple of days ago, I acquired the x-mount Ultron 27mm for my X-Pro3 - mainly because I didn’t like the ‘drawing’ of the Fujinon 27mm 2.8. The latter relies more it seems on automatic SDC, of which I am not a fan, in Lightroom (more often as not I use ‘Iridient X’ to remove these Selective Distortion Corrections), and the first pictures taken with the Ultron are indeed nicer, more crispy as it were, without. They show a drawing that appeals to me. See this picture I took on a rainy night just before sundown. One question to Fred, if I may : What is you preferred method of focussing the Ultron on an X-P3 when you use the OVF - Focus Peak Highlight, or just Standard ?

Jun 28, 2023 at 09:29 AM
hans m

p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Official: Voigtlander 27mm F/2 Ultron

http://www.hansmuus.com/225504693/just-before-sundown-after-a-soft-shower

Jun 29, 2023 at 06:43 AM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.