New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Disassembly - Voigtlander 40mm F2.8 Heliar Vintage Line Leica M

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Disassembly - Voigtlander 40mm F2.8 Heliar Vintage Line Leica M

@yukosteel has published a teardown of the Voigtlander 40mm F2.8 Heliar lens designed for the Leica M mount. For those unfamiliar with this lens, here is my review on it:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1750078

One notable excerpt from the article's conclusion is as follows:

"Voigtlander 40mm F2.8 lens is very solidly built and is quite easy to perform CLA. Access to aperture chamber is relatively simple if you have experience using precise spanning wrench. I noticed signs of securing glue on bolts, so unscrewing them require initial high torque to loosen glue first. Due to very compact lens size this Voigtlander 40mm F2.8 Heliar requires higher accuracy of all moves and more patience comparing to working with averagely sized lens."

To read the entire article, click here

Apr 15, 2023 at 12:32 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Disassembly - Voigtlander 40mm F2.8 Heliar Vintage Line Leica M

@yukosteel, during disassembly, did you find an easy way to adjust the lens for the rangefinder?

Apr 15, 2023 at 12:34 PM
yukosteel
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Disassembly - Voigtlander 40mm F2.8 Heliar Vintage Line Leica M

Thanks for good question Fred, yes there is a possibility of such adjustment by adding custom shims between rangefinder couple ring and helicoid cylinder to make it sit higher and shift RF patch toward infinity.

However if correction toward close focus is required it is more challenging. In that case I'd screw out RF couple helicoid cylinder from its thread and re-connect it to next CCW position, so it is sits deeper when rotated CW back to fit same position to connect RF couple ring. After that more thick shims need to be added between RF ring and RF cylinder. This adjustment is not ideal, because it may limit the path of RF ring and may not allow lens to focus closer than 1m.

Apr 15, 2023 at 12:54 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Disassembly - Voigtlander 40mm F2.8 Heliar Vintage Line Leica M

yukosteel wrote:
Thanks for good question Fred, yes there is a possibility of such adjustment by adding custom shims between rangefinder couple ring and helicoid cylinder to make it sit higher and shift RF patch toward infinity.

However if correction toward close focus is required it is more challenging. In that case I'd screw out RF couple helicoid cylinder from its thread and re-connect it to next CCW position, so it is sits deeper when rotated CW back to fit same position to connect RF couple ring. After that more thick shims need to be added between RF ring and RF cylinder. This
...Show more

Thank you for sharing this information. In my experience, adjusting for front-focusing tends to be more challenging and, for some reason, is the most common issue.

Apr 15, 2023 at 01:01 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Disassembly - Voigtlander 40mm F2.8 Heliar Vintage Line Leica M

@yukosteel, do you still own this lens? I was wondering if you checked it for field curvature at close and mid-distance?

May 05, 2023 at 10:47 AM
yukosteel
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Disassembly - Voigtlander 40mm F2.8 Heliar Vintage Line Leica M

Fred Miranda wrote:
@yukosteel@, do you still own this lens? I was wondering if you checked it for field curvature at close and mid-distance?

I didn't notice any field curvature while shooting with it, DOF is forming straight line at MFD and 3m.

May 06, 2023 at 01:31 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.