p.4 #4 · Voigtlander Nokton 50mm f/1.0 announced for Canon RF mount
rscheffler wrote:
It's very probable that it's a fully mechanical aperture and has to be set manually on the lens. All Voigtlander mirrorless lenses to date have worked this way. The electronic contacts facilitate EXIF, proper automatic IBIS setting and should enable Canon's manual focus assist feature (only available for lenses with electronic communication with the camera). This lens was recently announced/released for Nikon Z mount and based on the Cameraquest site (a Voigtlander distributor in the USA) here, sells for $1795. The expectation is the Canon RF version will be very similarly priced.
I was curious about this - are you referring to the red highlighting in the viewfinder for manual focus or something else? I have used a number of older C/Y lenses on my R5, the 35-70 3.5 in particular, with this feature for outstanding results (Menu - AF, 2, MF Peaking Settings). None of my lenses have the electronic contacts.
p.4 #5 · Voigtlander Nokton 50mm f/1.0 announced for Canon RF mount
rscheffler wrote:
It's very probable that it's a fully mechanical aperture and has to be set manually on the lens. All Voigtlander mirrorless lenses to date have worked this way. The electronic contacts facilitate EXIF, proper automatic IBIS setting and should enable Canon's manual focus assist feature (only available for lenses with electronic communication with the camera). This lens was recently announced/released for Nikon Z mount and based on the Cameraquest site (a Voigtlander distributor in the USA) here, sells for $1795. The expectation is the Canon RF version will be very similarly priced.
gerov wrote:
I was curious about this - are you referring to the red highlighting in the viewfinder for manual focus or something else? I have used a number of older C/Y lenses on my R5, the 35-70 3.5 in particular, with this feature for outstanding results (Menu - AF, 2, MF Peaking Settings). None of my lenses have the electronic contacts.
Thanks,
Gero
The red highlighting is focus peaking. Canon also has another method of manual focus assist called "Focus guide." Below is a screenshot from the R6II manual:
Basically as you turn the focus and as it comes closer to correct focus, two arrows come together and the guide turns green when the image is in focus at that point. This uses focus information directly off the sensor and should be extremely accurate. Focus peaking is based on areas of highest contrast and is inherently inaccurate when stopped down a fair amount with a lot of depth of field in the scene, resulting in 'false positive' indications of correct focus. It tends to work best at wider apertures whereas the focus guide is accurate at any aperture.
Another bonus in favor of the focus guide is that it works with face/eye detection.
But focus guide is only available with lenses that have electronic connection with the camera, such as RF and adapted EF lenses (including the Zeiss ZE line). Adapting mechanically connected lenses to RF will not benefit from this feature.
p.4 #6 · Voigtlander Nokton 50mm f/1.0 announced for Canon RF mount
I asked TTartisan if they are going make a M-RF 6bit adapter similar to FE/Z adapters? The answer I got:
"I'm so sorry to tell you that I have not received notifications so far. You can follow our store or social media account. You will get the information if we release something."
I wish CV issue the other lenses with e-connection... It is the best mf implementation...
rscheffler wrote:
But focus guide is only available with lenses that have electronic connection with the camera, such as RF and adapted EF lenses (including the Zeiss ZE line). Adapting mechanically connected lenses to RF will not benefit from this feature.
p.4 #7 · Voigtlander Nokton 50mm f/1.0 announced for Canon RF mount
I just got my copy of this lens and i'm super impressed. Voigtlander did a great job and I hope they'll release more focal lengths in RF mount (I'd love to see a 35mm in RF).
I've been looking for a native RF mount manual focus lens for a while now. I love my R5, but I don't always need a big autofocus lens for casual / personal work. The cheap non-L lenses from Canon also don't do it for me, and the focus-by-wire isn't much fun. I love not having to use an EF adapter or Leica-R adapter (which adds even more bulk). The fact that the Voigtlander is native RF is awesome, and the size of this lens is actually super compact.
Hands down the best thing about this lens is its integration with Canon's focus guide. It's insanely accurate, even stopped down to f8, and it makes using a manual focus lens so easy. In a weird way, it almost feels like a rangefinder patch, like on my Leica M bodies.
The build quality is also super premium, and it does seem that Voigtlander carefully tweaked the lens to be optimized for Canon's sensors. I've adapted a Voigtlander 50 1.2 M lens onto my R5 and noticed some purple color shifting in the corners, especially wide open. This lens, I'm not seeing that issue whatsoever. Wide open, it definitely vignettes and has some chromatic aberrations, but I was actually expecting much worse. F1-F1.4 is more than usable in my book.
Overall, just glad that this lens exists. I think it really opens up a new world of using Canon's RF bodies for pleasure, not just on work shoots with a big autofocus zoom lens glued to the front.
p.4 #8 · Voigtlander Nokton 50mm f/1.0 announced for Canon RF mount
Lukepi00 wrote:
I just got my copy of this lens and i'm super impressed. Voigtlander did a great job and I hope they'll release more focal lengths in RF mount (I'd love to see a 35mm in RF).
Congrats and good news on your findings.
Still waiting for mine to arrive though an unexpected windfall happened this week as I found a FL 58/1.2 and the 0.95 Dream lens at my local store. Turns out a retired Canon employee in his 80s consigned some older Canon gear that he had collected over the years while working for Canon. Funny thing I went there to get 2 Step Up filter rings.
p.4 #10 · Voigtlander Nokton 50mm f/1.0 announced for Canon RF mount
Lukepi00 wrote:
I just got my copy of this lens and i'm super impressed. Voigtlander did a great job and I hope they'll release more focal lengths in RF mount (I'd love to see a 35mm in RF).
burningheart wrote:
Congrats and good news on your findings.
Still waiting for mine to arrive though an unexpected windfall happened this week as I found a FL 58/1.2 and the 0.95 Dream lens at my local store. Turns out a retired Canon employee in his 80s consigned some older Canon gear that he had collected over the years while working for Canon. Funny thing I went there to get 2 Step Up filter rings.
Wow, considering this stuff usually ends up at the online auction site, very cool to make such a 'bricks & mortar' discovery like the old days. But then, considering the seller, I'm not that surprised.
p.4 #14 · Voigtlander Nokton 50mm f/1.0 announced for Canon RF mount
SlowDriver wrote:
Very interested in this lens as well. Any real world usage feedback from anybody?
Its a really great lens. I've had it since the first week it was available, and I really love it. For me, having a small, fully metal + mechanical manual focus lens makes my R5 so much more enjoyable to use. I shoot mostly film, and being able to make my R5 feel a little bit more of a "connected" experience has been great.
As for the optics, it really impressed me. I will say that I'd love to see Canon release lens data corrections for it - presently it vignettes moderately from f/2.8-5.6, and fairly drastically from f/2.8-1.0. Its nothing that cant be corrected in Lightroom, but it'd be nice to have it fixed from the start. Allegedly there is lens correction data for Voigtlander's new 40 1.2 RF, so I'd hope to see this translate over to the 50 1.0 soon.
Stopped down, the lens is wicked sharp. Wide open, it has this beautiful dreamy look to it. Flaring is pretty well controlled, and chromatic abberation is minimal except when shooting at the most extreme apertures. Overall, I think the optics are a 7.5-8.0/10 and the user experience is a 9/10 on Canon RF. The Canon RF 50 1.2 is more well corrected and less "flawed" at f/1.2, but its also much bulkier, heavier, and impersonal to use. You don't always want or need a heavy, bulky, plastic autofocus Canon lens. In the situations that you do not, this Voigtlander is a great contender to be your next everyday carry.
p.4 #15 · Voigtlander Nokton 50mm f/1.0 announced for Canon RF mount
Lukepi00 wrote:
Its a really great lens. I've had it since the first week it was available, and I really love it. For me, having a small, fully metal + mechanical manual focus lens makes my R5 so much more enjoyable to use. I shoot mostly film, and being able to make my R5 feel a little bit more of a "connected" experience has been great.
As for the optics, it really impressed me. I will say that I'd love to see Canon release lens data corrections for it - presently it vignettes moderately from f/2.8-5.6, and fairly drastically from f/2.8-1.0. Its nothing that cant be corrected in Lightroom, but it'd be nice to have it fixed from the start. Allegedly there is lens correction data for Voigtlander's new 40 1.2 RF, so I'd hope to see this translate over to the 50 1.0 soon.
Stopped down, the lens is wicked sharp. Wide open, it has this beautiful dreamy look to it. Flaring is pretty well controlled, and chromatic abberation is minimal except when shooting at the most extreme apertures. Overall, I think the optics are a 7.5-8.0/10 and the user experience is a 9/10 on Canon RF. The Canon RF 50 1.2 is more well corrected and less "flawed" at f/1.2, but its also much bulkier, heavier, and impersonal to use. You don't always want or need a heavy, bulky, plastic autofocus Canon lens. In the situations that you do not, this Voigtlander is a great contender to be your next everyday carry. ...Show more →
Do you use focus guide for manual focusing? It should work with this lens if I understood correctly.
p.4 #17 · Voigtlander Nokton 50mm f/1.0 announced for Canon RF mount
p.4 #11 is for this RF one, he is hard marker with a trad penchant for vignette/ ball shapes but see the images at 7:40. 'Beautiful pictures' - some of us think that is what it is all about, lol. But no AF, oh noes..you wonder about these guys, guess they play to the audience for views.
As for the M lens, same design, same block plan, same element count, type and distribution. Much the same, apart from dimensions and filter size. It's the same lens re-optimised, that seems to be both the aim and the lens descriptions, with accommodations made for sensor and FFD differences:
And you get IBIS stabilisation, very helpful for composing as well as s/speed considerations. It has really shaken up the f1 class of 50mm lenses, which should be understood as quite distinct from the now common f1.2 lot made by nearly everyone.
Few f1 users expect the performance characteristics of the f1.2 lenses that are now a staple of event pros. This is an artist's lens, for those with an appreciation of what that delivers in imagery. Either you see it or you don't..
p.4 #18 · Voigtlander Nokton 50mm f/1.0 announced for Canon RF mount
I think CV will release more RF mount lenses as long as they are selling well enough to meet their expectations. The 40/1.2 RF version seems to be selling well in Japan since it reached top 10 in popularity rankings among all lenses at kakaku.com (which is fairly uncommon for CV lenses) and it seems to have been sold out in most Japanese shops right after launch. I think they will keep releasing more at pretty short intervals at least until they reach parity with their Z-mount FF offerings.
I'm wondering if the color shading issue they have with R6 and lower end bodies will affect their APO Lanthar releases though.
serhan_ wrote:
I asked TTartisan if they are going make a M-RF 6bit adapter similar to FE/Z adapters? The answer I got:
"I'm so sorry to tell you that I have not received notifications so far. You can follow our store or social media account. You will get the information if we release something."
I wish CV issue the other lenses with e-connection... It is the best mf implementation...
p.4 #19 · Voigtlander Nokton 50mm f/1.0 announced for Canon RF mount
Fred's review is M version and there is also Z version. It is very detailed review, so it should give you an idea. It is not matching to the native 50mm 1.2's except its price and CV 50mm 1.2 is the one that is better corrected for general use...
SlowDriver wrote:
These are all reviews for the M-mount right? I would assume the RF-mount version has to be different from the M-mount version?
p.4 #20 · Voigtlander Nokton 50mm f/1.0 announced for Canon RF mount
Hopefully CV will continue with 50mm 1.2 next... I have not seen much activity on 40mm 1.2 here.
Canon R5/6 has 1.25mm topping thickness which is close to SL2 1.2mm (if reported right). R5 is very good with CV 21mm f3.5 in my use but then that is similar with Sony sensors... Older R cameras has 1.6mm thickness per Kolari... So I assume CV is optimizing on newer cameras and hopefully color shading should be resolved for the newer models... I didn't see any shading on R5, maybe the anti-aliasing filter difference.
Juha Kannisto wrote:
I think CV will release more RF mount lenses as long as they are selling well enough to meet their expectations. The 40/1.2 RF version seems to be selling well in Japan since it reached top 10 in popularity rankings among all lenses at kakaku.com (which is fairly uncommon for CV lenses) and it seems to have been sold out in most Japanese shops right after launch. I think they will keep releasing more at pretty short intervals at least until they reach parity with their Z-mount FF offerings.
I'm wondering if the color shading issue they have with R6 and lower end bodies will affect their APO Lanthar releases though.