fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines
  

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

  

Archive 2022 · June Milky Way arch over iconic Sedona buttes

  
 
jabong
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · June Milky Way arch over iconic Sedona buttes


I photographed a similar composition last year but earlier this June had a chance to re-capture the Milky Way in Sedona rising over Courthouse Butte and Bell Rock.



Disclosure: The sky was shot as a tracked panorama with a 35mm Sigma Art lens, but the ground was shot (the same night) with a 20mm lens. I find that panoramas with 35mm and longer get more detail and color in the stars and sky, but the 35mm view isn't great for wide foregrounds, so I combine the two to get a good view of both. Despite these being separate shots, the Milky Way was properly lined up where it would be naturally.



Dec 23, 2022 at 02:03 AM
bmike-vt
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · June Milky Way arch over iconic Sedona buttes


That is a lovely image.

I like the idea of the wide lens for the landscape. I have done a few MW mosaics and the landscape capture and then process / stitch and align is always the part I feel I don’t have a good handle on. I might have to try it, although I have a planned image coming up that will feature Orion between two prominent local peaks - but it will be just a 3x3 stacked and stitched 20mm mosaic. But maybe I’ll try 40mm on Orion and then switch to 20 on landscape. Fingers crossed weather cooperates.



Dec 23, 2022 at 06:59 AM
Starfire8
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · June Milky Way arch over iconic Sedona buttes


One amazing and beautiful composite image. Excellent work!

David



Dec 23, 2022 at 01:03 PM
nugeny
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · June Milky Way arch over iconic Sedona buttes


great vision and job


Dec 23, 2022 at 01:08 PM
steve g
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · June Milky Way arch over iconic Sedona buttes


Wonderful work


Dec 24, 2022 at 05:52 AM
douter
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · June Milky Way arch over iconic Sedona buttes


In a word...magnificent!
Douglas



Dec 24, 2022 at 09:04 AM
01Ryan10
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · June Milky Way arch over iconic Sedona buttes


Very nice!


Dec 26, 2022 at 10:30 AM
DaleBerlin
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · June Milky Way arch over iconic Sedona buttes


I really like this, nice work. You got to do what you got to do.


Dec 26, 2022 at 04:01 PM
chez
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · June Milky Way arch over iconic Sedona buttes


A definite wall hanger. Great work.


Dec 26, 2022 at 04:16 PM
Hathaway
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · June Milky Way arch over iconic Sedona buttes


Great idea and execution on the MW Arch and foreground blend. I might have to get a tracker as I have a great MW arch location for spring/early summer that I have shot and stitched at 14 mm but it gets quite distorted. I need the tracker if I am to shoot at 35 mm without significant star movement.

Now to look for a used tracker on the buy and sell forum!

Bob



Dec 27, 2022 at 09:32 AM
Lken
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · June Milky Way arch over iconic Sedona buttes


Really nice capture.


Dec 27, 2022 at 06:08 PM
jabong
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · June Milky Way arch over iconic Sedona buttes


Thanks everyone for the kind words

bmike-vt wrote:
That is a lovely image.

I like the idea of the wide lens for the landscape. I have done a few MW mosaics and the landscape capture and then process / stitch and align is always the part I feel I don’t have a good handle on. I might have to try it, although I have a planned image coming up that will feature Orion between two prominent local peaks - but it will be just a 3x3 stacked and stitched 20mm mosaic. But maybe I’ll try 40mm on Orion and then switch to 20 on landscape. Fingers crossed weather cooperates.
...Show more →


Go for it! You can try both focal lengths as well for the foreground. Once I realized this method with combining focal lengths, I could get a lot more flexible with compositions. In addition, having two cameras really speeds things up as I can capture the stars and foreground at the same time instead of relying on one after the other and wasting precious minutes for the stars. Good luck!

---------------------------------------------

Hathaway wrote:
Great idea and execution on the MW Arch and foreground blend. I might have to get a tracker as I have a great MW arch location for spring/early summer that I have shot and stitched at 14 mm but it gets quite distorted. I need the tracker if I am to shoot at 35 mm without significant star movement.

Now to look for a used tracker on the buy and sell forum!

Bob


If you are at all serious about Milky Way photography, I think getting a tracker is the way to go. It turns almost any lens into a viable lens for landscape astrophotography and you can be less worried about having a lens with the largest aperture. Plus being able to stop down to correct lens aberrations is a giant plus.

It is also possible to shoot a Milky Way panorama with a 35mm lens without a tracker (I've done it before with a 58mm f/1.4) and I never had any issues stitching, you just need to keep your exposures short; I think I was shooting at f/1.4, ISO 3200, and like 5 seconds or so. Obviously with a tracker you will be able to stop down and get longer exposures for a better signal to noise ratio, but the result without the tracker was still fairly good in my opinion and you still benefit from the detail from using a longer focal length. Here is an example with this technique; coincidentally the subject in the foreground is also the same in the original post, Courthouse Butte in Sedona.



Dec 28, 2022 at 04:12 PM





FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account