New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Favorite tripod and head combo for Fuji GFX 100x

Jeff Rogers
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Favorite tripod and head combo for Fuji GFX 100x

What is your favorite combo for the Fuji GFX system?

I have a carbon fiber 3 section Induro tripod (no longer available),
and I have these two heads...
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1465006-REG/uniqball_ubh35x_2_ubh_35x_2_ball_head.html and also....
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1510937-REG/acratech_1207_gxp_ballhead_with_lever.html

Lastly, I have a Peak Design carbon fiber tripod for travel. How to measure or gage whether this is substantial enough for use with the GFX system??
Thanks ahead of time for any experience or wisdom.

Nov 16, 2022 at 01:10 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Favorite tripod and head combo for Fuji GFX 100x

I'm going to always have to go with Gitzo on this, mostly because nobody else make one this big or sturdy. The current version is the 5563 Giant which goes to 110 inches. Big, heavy, sturdy carbon fiber mf'er. And paired to that an Arca-Swiss Cube and a Manfrotto sidearm system when needed. And then I'm using a Tenba zippered case that will hold three of my Gitzo's and a Benro monopod with appropriate padding. Now, obviously, I don't take that monster everywhere but it is my favorite.

Nov 16, 2022 at 02:06 PM
kenbennett

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Favorite tripod and head combo for Fuji GFX 100x

I have a big RRS tripod and their BH55 head, and it's great for the original GFX100 (which is very large.) I also have a Peak Design travel tripod, and I have used it with reasonable success with my X-H1. Since the GFX-100s is about the same size as the X-H1, I would expect the Peak Design tripod to work in some or most conditions.

Since you have the tripods, you can test them. Set up the tripods and shoot under various conditions and see if you are getting enough stable support. Try with IBIS both on and off. Use good technique - self timer, hands off, no center column, maybe a weight hanging from the tripod, etc.

Nov 16, 2022 at 02:36 PM
CKrueger
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Favorite tripod and head combo for Fuji GFX 100x

I try to avoid tripods whenever possible, and keep it light when I need one. I use the Peak Design tripod with my GFX100S and have no issues with my 32-64. (Note that I always shoot on tripod with a 2 second timer.)

The GFX100 is of course heavier, but I've also used the PD tripod with my Z9 and 500PF and my images come out sharp.

Nov 16, 2022 at 03:48 PM
Jeff Rogers
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Favorite tripod and head combo for Fuji GFX 100x

Excellent! At the moment, I only have the 32-64 as well. Thx.

Nov 16, 2022 at 04:07 PM
flash
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Favorite tripod and head combo for Fuji GFX 100x

Any Gitzo legs and my Gitzo D4 Geared head. I move the head between legs depending on how much I want to carry. Even the 1510 is sturdy enough but a 2 series is better if I’m shooting at eye height.

Gordon

Nov 16, 2022 at 04:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

bobby350z
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Favorite tripod and head combo for Fuji GFX 100x

Leofoto tripod which let me go to 7'. With separately added lefoto geared column and I can do 8 feet. Why, to shoot from a higher angle. I have sunway photo geared head on top of it. No problems with 250mm with 1.4xTC.

Before I got the geared column:
PXL_20210301_005243338 (1) by Vishi A, on Flickr

Closeup
PXL_20210328_174141288.PORTRAIT (1) by Vishi A, on Flickr

Nov 16, 2022 at 06:43 PM
Rand47
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Favorite tripod and head combo for Fuji GFX 100x

My favorite tripod legs (no longer available) are the Really Right Stuff TVC 44. ROCK solid. I think I bought one of the last ones produced by RRS. It’s no longer available on their web catalog. Not something you’d want to take on a back packing trip, but arguably the most stable tripod “once” available.

I also have the RRS TVC 34L which is also wonderful, and about as good as it gets for what is currently available.

For heads, I have the Arca Swiss C1 “Cube” and the Arca Swiss D4 geared heads. Having been a long time user of ball heads, I was shocked at how much better (for landscape work at least) a gearded head is. No fiddling trying to lock it before it moves, no droop when locking down, etc. Fine adjustments to composition are a breeze. And, with the cube its movements don’t change the center of rotation of the camera body.

Rand

Nov 18, 2022 at 09:39 AM
mehrdad sadat
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Favorite tripod and head combo for Fuji GFX 100x

to me a tripod is like a camera bag, never satisfied and have many. for travel. I like the peakdesign carbon, there is also gitzo, manfado, and.....

Nov 18, 2022 at 09:53 AM
bobby350z
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Favorite tripod and head combo for Fuji GFX 100x

I never liked having fancy camera bags and same with tripods. I rather spend on Cameras, lenses, and grip gear.

Nov 18, 2022 at 10:25 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Favorite tripod and head combo for Fuji GFX 100x

mehrdad sadat wrote:
to me a tripod is like a camera bag, never satisfied and have many. for travel. I like the peakdesign carbon, there is also gitzo, manfado, and.....

Same here — the analogy to camera bags is perfect.

I use three tripods:

1. A big, heavy old school Induro model with the RRS BH-55. (My wife has the BH-40 on her's) When weight doesn't matter (as much) and I want something solid (but read on), I prefer this system. Note: I do NOT recommend Induro tripods, at least not based on my experience with this early model. I continue to use it because it remains sufficiently functional, but the design of teh leg logs was quite poor — they tend to let the sections rotate in a way that makes it hard to correctly lock them in place. Every time I am about to replace it I decide I can make it work a bit longer... but when I do replace, it will likely be Gitzo or possibly RRS.

2. A long version of the Gitzo Mountaineer tripod that is actually quite solid. It is not really that light, but it is more manageable than the honking big Induro for travel and for carrying on the trail. I'm still using the iconclastic Acratech Ultimate Bullhead, an older model retrofitted with a quick-release mechanism I originally got it because it is pretty solid for its rather light weight and small size, making it good for trail use. It is an "acquired taste."

3. A small but reasonably solid "travel tripod" from Induro, outfitted with the tiny RRS GH-25 head. This setup is just solid enough for use with light gear for travel when I mostly will not use a tripod but realize that I might occasionally want one. It fits inside carry-on luggage. It goes just barely high enough with the column extended, and the head surrenders solidity and adjustability for a very minimal design. (I doubt that this would work for the larger GFX system, and I don't even use it with my FF Canon gear.)

One thing: While I love working with a big, solid tripod... over the years I've had to admit that in almost all situations somewhat lighter tripods can actually work really well. My #2 system with the lighter mountaineer tripod is actually pretty capable...

Dan

Nov 18, 2022 at 10:43 AM
Jeff Rogers
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Favorite tripod and head combo for Fuji GFX 100x

Gdanmitchell, I appreciate your comments. This is the second or third Induro tripod that I have owned and the leg design does have a fault or a glitch. I just received one of the replacement shims or sleeves for one of the legs that needs to be installed. Their customer service is excellent and since they are based in the USA, you can actually talk to a human that speaks English. I had considered switching to Benro but essentially they are the same tripod with the same leg assembly. Still looking around. Thanks.

Nov 18, 2022 at 04:41 PM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password