Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines
  

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
  

Tallest Grass -- 15 year project @ Montana cabin (images added)

  
 
gordon l
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tallest Grass -- 15 year project @ Montana cabin (images added)


Congratulations to gordon l for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 15 votes - View Previous Winners


Hello,
Montana grass and weeds were higher this year than anything I remember over the past 30 years. Summer rains made things grow high and wild. Just walking to my usual cabin spot to photograph was an exercise in burrs, thorns and other sticky things attacking me.
Instead of shooting high I decided to "go low" and just shot something down at the grass level. The skies weren't all that great so I decided this could be a good original view. Hope you like it.
I attached a few from past years for comparison. I shoot this location once a year and have done so now 15 years now! Click here for the
whole gallery of pics going back 15 years

Year of Tall Grass (this year's contribution -- 2022)






Wild Panorama Montana (2014)






Dawn (2009)






Winter (2017)






Woodpile (2020)






Lupine (2014)






Edited on Nov 10, 2022 at 07:13 AM · View previous versions



Nov 07, 2022 at 12:43 PM
Creative Edge
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tallest Grass -- 15 year project @ Montana cabin (images added)


love this series... stunning


Nov 07, 2022 at 12:59 PM
junglialoh
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tallest Grass -- 15 year project @ Montana cabin (images added)


Gorgeous image collection of creative work


Nov 07, 2022 at 01:03 PM
Starfire8
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tallest Grass -- 15 year project @ Montana cabin (images added)


A gorgeous collection of images, Gordon! I live in north central Idaho and we have extremely tall grass this year, too. Maybe the tallest ever, like you say. Your latest interpretation is wonderful, especially with the yellow flowers in the foreground. Very nice work!

David



Nov 07, 2022 at 02:26 PM
Sunny Alan
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tallest Grass -- 15 year project @ Montana cabin (images added)


The 3rd and 6th are competing for first place. Left to them !
Great fading color...thanks.



Nov 08, 2022 at 12:27 AM
gordon l
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tallest Grass -- 15 year project @ Montana cabin (images added)


Creative Edge wrote:
love this series... stunning

thanks so much
---------------------------------------------

junglialoh wrote:
Gorgeous image collection of creative work

thanks. coming back year after year has me thinking of ways to make it "new" or make something original
---------------------------------------------

Starfire8 wrote:
A gorgeous collection of images, Gordon! I live in north central Idaho and we have extremely tall grass this year, too. Maybe the tallest ever, like you say. Your latest interpretation is wonderful, especially with the yellow flowers in the foreground. Very nice work!

David

Thanks David. May your grass grow tall every year!
---------------------------------------------

Sunny Alan wrote:
The 3rd and 6th are competing for first place. Left to them !
Great fading color...thanks.

Thanks. I put a couple old ones in there for the long-time FM'ers. There are a few, very few, who were here when I posted my first one back in 2007 and have seen the series over the years.



Nov 08, 2022 at 08:44 AM
Ross Martin
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tallest Grass -- 15 year project @ Montana cabin (images added)


This is a cool project, Gordon, love the sweeping views and sense of old west history. That last one especially is just wow!


Nov 08, 2022 at 10:35 AM
DaleBerlin
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tallest Grass -- 15 year project @ Montana cabin (images added)


These are very fine images. Great color! Each has the common element yet each is so different. Beautiful collection of years gone by.


Nov 08, 2022 at 03:48 PM
Jim Dockery
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tallest Grass -- 15 year project @ Montana cabin (images added)


Great series, #3 for me. I'd like to see it in the winter too! Can you drive close to this?


Nov 08, 2022 at 03:58 PM
gordon l
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Tallest Grass -- 15 year project @ Montana cabin (images added)


Jim Dockery wrote:
Great series, #3 for me. I'd like to see it in the winter too! Can you drive close to this?


Dead winter gets tricky as snow drifts cover the roads. Without a snowmobile it's not possible to get right there. I've had some family members get stuck in the snow on the dirt roads here and have to walk to their cabin and wait a few days just to get the car out of the snow. Wait for better weather.

So, not sure if I'll ever get brave enough to venture out in a deep storm . . . but I'll try to keep an open mind.

I sincerely would love to add that type of shot to my collection.
My "winter" shot above is from November and it hadn't snowed that year for a long time. We felt confident we could make it to our cabin and back out again (alive) and I took that opportunity to get that shot. Gone is the green growth of summer and it was cold standing there taking the shot.

Stay tuned. Maybe I'll get a winter shot. Who knows?



Nov 09, 2022 at 07:51 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

lighthound
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Tallest Grass -- 15 year project @ Montana cabin (images added)


Very nice collection and neat project. I think I like your 2014 image the best out of the ones you shared here.

Curious about what made you decide to do this yearly project and also as to the story behind this cabin. I see no road leading to it, no power, no water? And my favorite part, no neighbors for the next 50 miles. And yet it has a primitive fence, which is to keep some type of critters out I assume?
Is it just a hunting cabin or is this an Airbnb Montana style?



Nov 09, 2022 at 01:34 PM
Bill Gass
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Tallest Grass -- 15 year project @ Montana cabin (images added)


Montana, Green grass, Ole Cabin, Flowers.......Beautiful.


Nov 09, 2022 at 04:49 PM
gordon l
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Tallest Grass -- 15 year project @ Montana cabin (images added)


Ross Martin wrote:
This is a cool project, Gordon, love the sweeping views and sense of old west history. That last one especially is just wow!

thank you Ross! This really is an old West gem!
---------------------------------------------

DaleBerlin wrote:
These are very fine images. Great color! Each has the common element yet each is so different. Beautiful collection of years gone by.


Thanks Dale. I'm always looking for a variation on the common theme. (I guess it's easiest to just share the pics.)
I've got a shot from a couple years ago where I got a horse in the picture with the cabin in the distance.






Another where the wind blowing the grass was the main idea but the cabin was in the background too.






I always hope for good clouds and occasionally get lucky






There's more but that's a peek into my brain as I approach this familiar location each year. I try to get something original each time. I don't always succeed but I haven't given up yet either.



Nov 10, 2022 at 07:12 AM
Jeff
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Tallest Grass -- 15 year project @ Montana cabin (images added)


Steamboat Springs, CO was the same this summer, stuff was 4' high out by Quaker Mountain.


Nov 10, 2022 at 09:09 AM
keepclicking
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Tallest Grass -- 15 year project @ Montana cabin (images added)


Gordon, I remember some of your shots from previous years and you continue to add variety to the scene. Fantastic set of images. Love the last one. Thanks for sharing your project.


Nov 10, 2022 at 01:18 PM
gordon l
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Tallest Grass -- 15 year project @ Montana cabin (images added)


lighthound wrote:
Very nice collection and neat project. I think I like your 2014 image the best out of the ones you shared here.

Curious about what made you decide to do this yearly project and also as to the story behind this cabin. I see no road leading to it, no power, no water? And my favorite part, no neighbors for the next 50 miles. And yet it has a primitive fence, which is to keep some type of critters out I assume?
Is it just a hunting cabin or is this an Airbnb Montana style?


Thanks Lighthound.
My family built a cabin near this cabin in the 1980s. I'd seen this tiny structure for many years without thinking of taking a picture.
My project began 2 years after I got serious about photography. In 2007 I walked to this location from out cabin and got a photo I liked. The next year, I got amazing light and everybody (including FM members) raved about this cute little place. In 2009 I got another good shot. After 3 years, I just kept going and I have shared results here each year (as best as I can remember).

A huge cattle ranch is north of this place, so there are no neighbors. A hill is to the south. There are neighbors there but they are distant and mostly out of sight.

I've never seen a person stay here but know it is cared for. I assume hunters.



Nov 10, 2022 at 04:53 PM
kwilliam8
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Tallest Grass -- 15 year project @ Montana cabin (images added)


Wonderful to see these images! I remember seeing some of these in years past, and I always enjoy seeing your posts from this magical spot. Thanks for sharing!!!
Keith W.



Nov 12, 2022 at 01:35 PM
gordon l
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Tallest Grass -- 15 year project @ Montana cabin (images added)


Bill Gass wrote:
Montana, Green grass, Ole Cabin, Flowers.......Beautiful.

Thanks Bill. The cabin really gives a sense of scale to the valley and wide space
---------------------------------------------

Jeff wrote:
Steamboat Springs, CO was the same this summer, stuff was 4' high out by Quaker Mountain.

Whoa. That's high.
---------------------------------------------

keepclicking wrote:
Gordon, I remember some of your shots from previous years and you continue to add variety to the scene. Fantastic set of images. Love the last one. Thanks for sharing your project.

Thanks again. Stay tuned for next year's edition in about 12 months.
---------------------------------------------

kwilliam8 wrote:
Wonderful to see these images! I remember seeing some of these in years past, and I always enjoy seeing your posts from this magical spot. Thanks for sharing!!!
Keith W.

Thanks Keith. I'll keep posting



Nov 13, 2022 at 10:57 PM
pbraymond
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Tallest Grass -- 15 year project @ Montana cabin (images added)


Great project, great images. Took a walk thru this "Rustic Cabin" series in the link, very enjoyable!


Nov 14, 2022 at 06:54 AM
bcguy
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Tallest Grass -- 15 year project @ Montana cabin (images added)


These are wonderful! Great work!


Nov 14, 2022 at 03:04 PM
1
       2       end






FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password