Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
3
       4              15       16       end
  

Will Leica bring the M6 film camera back to life?

  
 
retrofocus
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Will Leica bring the M6 film camera back to life?


Desmolicious wrote:
The Rollei 35 series is very hard to focus accurately at larger apertures/wide open and closer distances. Lack of any focusing aids and the 40mm focal length will do that. Image quality is great if focus is nailed.
I actually use the Rollei 40mm Sonnar in LTM mount. That way I can use it on my Ms which have the RF mechanism! Sweet lens.


Another culprit of this Rollei camera is to insert the film - there is no rotating winder knob showing that the film is actually moving after the film advance lever is pressed. Focusing on the other hand was less of a problem from my experience - even at about 1 meter MFD I nailed the focus quite well when stepped down the aperture a bit.



Sep 20, 2022 at 05:53 AM
SlowDriver
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Will Leica bring the M6 film camera back to life?


I was looking to buy a Leica MP earlier this year but it was not readily available in the US, so I moved on...

Releasing a limited edition M6 does not make much sense to me...



Sep 20, 2022 at 06:25 AM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Will Leica bring the M6 film camera back to life?


retrofocus wrote:
Another culprit of this Rollei camera is to insert the film - there is no rotating winder knob showing that the film is actually moving after the film advance lever is pressed. Focusing on the other hand was less of a problem from my experience - even at about 1 meter MFD I nailed the focus quite well when stepped down the aperture a bit.


Thatís the thing,you had to step it down to nail focus. Itís why I picked the Agfa 1535 over it - superb 40mm lens and it has an RF so no problem using all that the lenís goodness. Also it looks like a mini Plaubel Makina!



Sep 20, 2022 at 08:39 AM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Will Leica bring the M6 film camera back to life?


SlowDriver wrote:
I was looking to buy a Leica MP earlier this year but it was not readily available in the US, so I moved on...

Releasing a limited edition M6 does not make much sense to me...


If you buy it from abroad eg reddotcameras.co.uk you can get a new one with full warranty for about $4k and they are in stock. Leicaís warranty is international unlike the nonsense that Nikon does.



Sep 20, 2022 at 08:41 AM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Will Leica bring the M6 film camera back to life?


d.s. wrote:
My mistake, but still ďMagification - 0.40 x, viewfinder field corresponds to approx. 90 % of the film formatĒ not great.


Back in the day when you could buy these new I remember deciding between the Contax T3, the CM and the Nikon 35ti.
I bought the Contax - canít remember why, perhaps because it had the highest shutter speed or perhaps because it was cheaper. Itís magnification was .5 showing 85% of the film format. So obviously w these cameras it is a give and take between coverage and magnification.
Wish I kept my T3Ö



Sep 20, 2022 at 08:58 AM
frame_00
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Will Leica bring the M6 film camera back to life?



Also also - there is a claim that the new film camera has been in the hands of testers 'out in the field' for months now. If it is a new M6, what's to test? So that suggests a different type of film camera.

But this could all be just another wild goose chase.



Probably to test whatever parts they cheaped out on or cut corners on will last under normal consumer use.




Sep 20, 2022 at 09:01 AM
SlowDriver
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Will Leica bring the M6 film camera back to life?


Desmolicious wrote:
If you buy it from abroad eg reddotcameras.co.uk you can get a new one with full warranty for about $4k and they are in stock. Leicaís warranty is international unlike the nonsense that Nikon does.


I know but perhaps I also realized that it is madness to spend $4-5K on a film camera while so many good ones are available used for much much less...



Sep 20, 2022 at 11:52 AM
retrofocus
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Will Leica bring the M6 film camera back to life?


SlowDriver wrote:
I know but perhaps I also realized that it is madness to spend $4-5K on a film camera while so many good ones are available used for much much less...


+1. Would never spend this kind of money either for a film camera. But hey, I am not spending > $4K for a digital camera either.



Sep 20, 2022 at 12:28 PM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Will Leica bring the M6 film camera back to life?


SlowDriver wrote:
I know but perhaps I also realized that it is madness to spend $4-5K on a film camera while so many good ones are available used for much much less...


I'm not going to argue the sanity of Leica purchases! But there is zero regret for me as I love using them so much.

Just putting it out there for whoever wants to save $1500 or so.



Sep 20, 2022 at 12:41 PM
SlowDriver
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Will Leica bring the M6 film camera back to life?


Desmolicious wrote:
I'm not going to argue the sanity of Leica purchases! But there is zero regret for me as I love using them so much.

Just putting it out there for whoever wants to save $1500 or so.


Even staying within the Leica family you can buy a Leica R5 for $200-350... and it will produce pictures that are just as good... for me personally I concluded it just did not make any sense to buy a (new or even used) film M at current prices...



Sep 20, 2022 at 05:15 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

John Wolf
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Will Leica bring the M6 film camera back to life?


Desmolicious wrote:
I'm not going to argue the sanity of Leica purchases! But there is zero regret for me as I love using them so much.

Just putting it out there for whoever wants to save $1500 or so.


I'm with you, Desmolicious. A little madness in life is just fine, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone.

John




Sep 20, 2022 at 05:33 PM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Will Leica bring the M6 film camera back to life?


SlowDriver wrote:
Even staying within the Leica family you can buy a Leica R5 for $200-350... and it will produce pictures that are just as good... for me personally I concluded it just did not make any sense to buy a (new or even used) film M at current prices...


I quite recently sold an R-E (an R5 with only aperture priority and manual) and an R7. But kept the Ms. The Rs are great, and I think the R7 is better than the FM3A as the R has features that actually help you get the shot - multiple meter patterns etc - while the FM3a is just an AE camera that happens to have a hybrid shutter.
Point being - I kept the Ms, sold the Rs (even though I still have an R9 but that will be the next to go) because I just do not get the same level of enjoyment from using the SLRs.

The best camera is that one that you use. I use any of my Ms more than my Nikon F6, so even though the Nikon has AF, auto everything etc it doesn't matter as it sits at home. As I gel with the other cameras more, so for me they are the best cameras.

Others may have the opposite view, and of course that is completely valid too.




Sep 20, 2022 at 06:21 PM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Will Leica bring the M6 film camera back to life?


p.s. I kinda liked the R-E and R5 more than the R7. They are slightly smaller, use fewer batteries, may have a simpler exposure readout (but who cares as they still give you all you need to know). I think the R7's advantage is the newly introduced flash metering system if you care to use the TTL Leica flashes.


Sep 20, 2022 at 06:24 PM
d.s.
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Will Leica bring the M6 film camera back to life?




Desmolicious wrote:
Back in the day when you could buy these new I remember deciding between the Contax T3, the CM and the Nikon 35ti.
I bought the Contax - canít remember why, perhaps because it had the highest shutter speed or perhaps because it was cheaper. Itís magnification was .5 showing 85% of the film format. So obviously w these cameras it is a give and take between coverage and magnification.
Wish I kept my T3Ö


Do you know if the 85% was for the framelines? I taped two strips of paper in such a way to mask them from view without obstructing the finder, and felt it looked about right.



Sep 20, 2022 at 06:40 PM
d.s.
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Will Leica bring the M6 film camera back to life?




SlowDriver wrote:
I know but perhaps I also realized that it is madness to spend $4-5K on a film camera while so many good ones are available used for much much less...


The 0.72-3 bc MP a la carte is (was) really niceÖ



Sep 20, 2022 at 06:42 PM
SlowDriver
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Will Leica bring the M6 film camera back to life?


Desmolicious wrote:
The best camera is that one that you use.

Makes sense. I do (also) happen to like Leica R cameras though. That being said, I would also love a new film point & shoot with modern-day autofocus.



Sep 20, 2022 at 07:03 PM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Will Leica bring the M6 film camera back to life?


Ok, it is real and it is coming. †How do I know? †I spoke to a Leica shop - who I will not name to protect their innocence - and they said they could not speak about it because it is still under embargo.


Oct 03, 2022 at 10:28 AM
SlowDriver
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Will Leica bring the M6 film camera back to life?


Desmolicious wrote:
Ok, it is real and it is coming. †How do I know? †I spoke to a Leica shop - who I will not name to protect their innocence - and they said they could not speak about it because it is still under embargo.


Jonathan Slack (on MacFilos) added his (usually well informed) 2 cents:

"Fascinating speculation Ė I donít know the answer, so I can speculate that it will be an M6 Classic . . . at least on the outside, but the internals canít be original, so I would expect that they would take the opportunity to make improvements (why wouldnít they?!).
This cannot be made out of spares, so I would speculate that as they have to make a new production line it will not be a limited edition.
As for speculation that itíll be cheaper . . . . thereís always that speculation, and itís never been true in the past!
all the best
Jono
"



Oct 03, 2022 at 11:59 AM
panos.v
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Will Leica bring the M6 film camera back to life?


Let's speculate then...what will it be called? M6.2? M-N (new)? M-H (hipster)? Or maybe special edition M-P YouToob Edition? With tan leather, leather strap, leather case, a roll of Cinestill (it is 4k HD after all) and a can of mustache wax?


Oct 05, 2022 at 10:48 AM
1joel1
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Will Leica bring the M6 film camera back to life?


Maybe M6-P


Oct 05, 2022 at 11:59 AM
1       2      
3
       4              15       16       end






FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
3
       4              15       16       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password