New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Summer Breeze

DanielScott
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Summer Breeze

Congratulations to DanielScott for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 5 votes - View Previous Winners

A shot from a model portfolio shoot I did this week. I'll likely post some that show her eyes when I have a handful of shots finished, but I felt that this one stood out on it's own. I wish her hands were posed more elegantly, but I really like the whole feeling of this shot so I had to overlook that detail.

Photographed using a Canon 5D MKIII with a Canon EF 135mm f/2.8 Softfocus lens (with softfocus disabled), lit using natural light.

Jul 21, 2022 at 02:58 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Summer Breeze

Very nice Daniel! It has a cinematic quality in look and expression. While I see your point about the hands, they don't bother me. I looked at the image before reading your comments and probably wouldn't have noticed if you didn't point it out.

Jul 21, 2022 at 08:09 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Summer Breeze

I love the summer feel to this and hands don't bother me either.

Jul 21, 2022 at 08:33 AM
Dneufarth
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Summer Breeze

This is wonderful Daniel. Certainly it stands on its own. I agree with you about the hands, and might even extend that thought to the arms and shoulders, but that is only a nit that we as photographers use to torture ourselves. Beautiful image.

Derek

Jul 21, 2022 at 09:01 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Summer Breeze

dmacmillan wrote:
Very nice Daniel! It has a cinematic quality in look and expression. While I see your point about the hands, they don't bother me. I looked at the image before reading your comments and probably wouldn't have noticed if you didn't point it out.

I agree with "dmac" Daniel.I also might add that portrait photography/photographer sometimes ends up paying more attention to his lighting devices and composition than to the subject..Not saying you did at all! This leaves the photographer's primary purpose to reveal the individual and transfer that to a print/photo.
Your composition, IMHO, presents this woman in a truthful picture and/or a genuine likeness of her. Clarity here is not an issue IMHO. Clarity not in just "seeing" clearly with no physical obstructions but with the intended outcome. The soft focus adds to this.
I say you got it here. The hands...not a bother.
Nice!
Dan

Edited on Jul 21, 2022 at 08:06 PM · View previous versions

Jul 21, 2022 at 02:30 PM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Summer Breeze

Wonderful portrait. The hands aren't an issue for me.

Jul 21, 2022 at 02:37 PM
OregonSun
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Summer Breeze

... makes me feel fine.

Perfect Title for this one. I don't shoot portraits, but if did I'd be happy if they were half as good as the ones you post. Thanks for sharing.

Edited on Jul 22, 2022 at 10:44 AM · View previous versions

Jul 21, 2022 at 11:22 PM
Sauseschritt
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Summer Breeze

Very moody, loving it.

Also, Canon has a softfocus lens ? Cool.

There aint any for Nikon. Well, you can use DC lenses and oversteer them, then they turn soft.

Jul 22, 2022 at 03:19 AM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Summer Breeze

dmacmillan wrote:

Thank you. I'm glad the hands aren't such the large distraction that I thought they would be.

Jul 23, 2022 at 02:01 PM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Summer Breeze

airfrogusmc wrote:
I love the summer feel to this and hands don't bother me either.

Thank you. That's what I love about it too; you can practically feel the warm breeze.

Jul 23, 2022 at 02:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Summer Breeze

Dneufarth wrote:
This is wonderful Daniel. Certainly it stands on its own. I agree with you about the hands, and might even extend that thought to the arms and shoulders, but that is only a nit that we as photographers use to torture ourselves. Beautiful image.

Derek

Thank you so much Derek.

Jul 23, 2022 at 02:02 PM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Summer Breeze

Danpbphoto wrote:
I agree with "dmac" Daniel.I also might add that portrait photography/photographer sometimes ends up paying more attention to his lighting devices and composition than to the subject..Not saying you did at all! This leaves the photographer's primary purpose to reveal the individual and transfer that to a print/photo.
Your composition, IMHO, presents this woman in a truthful picture and/or a genuine likeness of her. Clarity here is not an issue IMHO. Clarity not in just "seeing" clearly with no physical obstructions but with the intended outcome. The soft focus adds to this.
I say you got it here. The hands...not a bother.
Nice!
Dan

Thank you so much for the kind words Dan.
I had the soft focus disabled (I actually haven't even had a chance to experiment with it yet), but I've noticed that this lens has a nice soft quality about it when back-lit, while still retaining sharpness where it counts. It handles flares in a really unique way as well from what I've noticed, and I've done several shoots with it that I haven't shared here because of it. I like a lot of the results I've gotten in those instances, but the result is generally off track from what many portrait photographers expect in a quality portrait so I honestly haven't bothered sharing the shots for other photographers. Perhaps I will share them eventually though.

This is an example of what I'm talking about:

Jul 23, 2022 at 02:10 PM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Summer Breeze

Rajan Parrikar wrote:
Wonderful portrait. The hands aren't an issue for me.

Thank you so much Rajan.

Jul 23, 2022 at 02:11 PM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Summer Breeze

OregonSun wrote:
... makes me feel fine.

Perfect Title for this one. I don't shoot portraits, but if did I'd be happy if they were half as good as the ones you post. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you so much!

Jul 23, 2022 at 02:12 PM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Summer Breeze

Sauseschritt wrote:
Very moody, loving it.

Also, Canon has a softfocus lens ? Cool.

There aint any for Nikon. Well, you can use DC lenses and oversteer them, then they turn soft.

Thank you. Yes they do! I've avoided buying it for several years despite my interest in it, and couldn't turn down a listing for it that I found for less than $200. I haven't used the soft focus feature yet, but most 135mm lenses already seem to have a soft quality about them anyways in my experience (which has only been with this one and the 135 f/2L). They're very sharp where the focus is but have a very soft and dreamy quality when rendering everything else with a wide or close to wide aperture.

Jul 23, 2022 at 02:15 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Summer Breeze

DanielScott wrote:
Thank you so much for the kind words Dan.
I had the soft focus disabled (I actually haven't even had a chance to experiment with it yet), but I've noticed that this lens has a nice soft quality about it when back-lit, while still retaining sharpness where it counts. It handles flares in a really unique way as well from what I've noticed, and I've done several shoots with it that I haven't shared here because of it. I like a lot of the results I've gotten in those instances, but the result is generally off track from what many
...Show more

Daniel,
You are an exceptional portrait photographer!
That being said post what YOU like and want others to view.

The feedback probably will adjust what you post.
But I for one like to see all that you/members are working with.

Let me decide whether to pass on or enjoy!
Dan

Jul 24, 2022 at 10:33 AM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Summer Breeze

Danpbphoto wrote:
Daniel,
You are an exceptional portrait photographer!
That being said post what YOU like and want others to view.

The feedback probably will adjust what you post.
But I for one like to see all that you/members are working with.

Let me decide whether to pass on or enjoy!
Dan

Thank you so much Dan.

Jul 27, 2022 at 09:50 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Summer Breeze

Congrats Daniel on "FT" win!
Well deserved. She's a classy, beautiful young woman! OH to be 18 or 21 again!!! Sorry Suzanne(my wife).
Dan

Jul 30, 2022 at 09:49 AM
purduephotog
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Summer Breeze

DanielScott wrote:
A shot from a model portfolio shoot I did this week. I'll likely post some that show her eyes when I have a handful of shots finished, but I felt that this one stood out on it's own. I wish her hands were posed more elegantly, but I really like the whole feeling of this shot so I had to overlook that detail.

Photographed using a Canon 5D MKIII with a Canon EF 135mm f/2.8 Softfocus lens (with softfocus disabled), lit using natural light.
https://i.imgur.com/05gRsIb.jpg

Don't get too caught up in the 'filter' crap going on now. Without the over-retouched digital-enhanced world we live in now this would have been an outstanding shot film days anytime.
For the hands, meh, they're hands. So many shots with 'hands' now adays are composites anyways and overly retouched as well. I believe you have a great photo here.

Jul 30, 2022 at 04:46 PM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Summer Breeze

Danpbphoto wrote:
Congrats Daniel on "FT" win!
Well deserved. She's a classy, beautiful young woman! OH to be 18 or 21 again!!! Sorry Suzanne(my wife).
Dan

Thank you Dan.

Jul 30, 2022 at 06:23 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password