New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Exposure Problems

leethecam
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Exposure Problems

A couple of times recently, I've had my exposures go a couple of stops under exposed for no good reason.

Let's assume it isn't me setting things wrong or the camera fooled by backlight with ETTL. If I switch the camera on / off, I have recified the issue.

It has only happened a couple of times of late, but I'd hate to miss an important shot.

It is almost like the iris is sticking or not responding. Everything else is absolutely fine and as a rule, exposures are generall good.

Camera: 5D Mk3
Lens Canon 70-200L Mk2

Anyone had this or any thoughts ?

Jul 03, 2022 at 07:33 AM
story_teller
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Exposure Problems

Since you mentioned ETTL, I'm assuming you're using flash or strobe when it underexposes. There is also a possibility that something didn't allow the flash or strobe to fire at full charge. Both the lens iris and flash are possible possible causes.

My thoughts on the iris are that the iris starts wide open and then closes down to the proper aperture. If it were sticking, I would think that it would get stuck at a wider aperture when trying to close down and you'd be overexposed, not underexposed.

You might consider having the lens cleaned and lubricated. Hope you find the issue.

Jul 04, 2022 at 08:58 AM
leethecam
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Exposure Problems

Ah sorry, I should have written that clearer.

I didn't mean ETTL with flash, I meant evaluative exposure with just the camera. (My brain is fading with age).

Jul 04, 2022 at 01:51 PM
JohnSil
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Exposure Problems

leethecam wrote:
Ah sorry, I should have written that clearer.

I didn't mean ETTL with flash, I meant evaluative exposure with just the camera. (My brain is fading with age).

LoL, if your brain is fading THAT much then it's probably NOT the camera!!! LoL, just kidding.
IF it was a sticking diaphragm it would be OVER exposed not under. Though not sure a sticking diaphragm would even affect a modern camera. Like ettl, the camera might just compensate for wherever the iris is stopped to even if incorrectly.
I've had a lot more problems with exposure since I switched from a 1Dxll to the R5. That being because I can't spot meter at the place of subject focus like the 1D bodies can. So I'm at the mercy of the std't meter modes that can be skewed by a bright area not near the subject, either brighter or darker. I solve it by setting the camera up on manual. BUT it's kinda sad that with all the new firepower I have to be on manual at all!
May be the camera but might also be the metering system.
I do get a weird thing happen on occasion and don't know if it's me or the camera, I can quickly correct but I don't know why they happen! I don't know if it's me or the camera?
John

Jul 04, 2022 at 03:33 PM
CharleyL
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Exposure Problems

ETTL or other semi-automatic settings make adjustments based on the average light in the whole shot. Shooting different angles, etc. of that same subject may cause this average light level to shift and will cause variations from shot to shot.

Something to try -

Take the first shot in Automatic and ETTL and the camera will adjust to the settings needed. If too dark or too light to please you, change the ETTL level settings and take another similar shot. Repeat until you have the levels that are acceptable. Then switch the camera to Manual with ETTL off, and the camera settings for that previous shot will be retained in the camera. All following shots of that subject will then maintain the same levels based on what that first shot had. You will get a much more stable shot to shot levels for those following shots. Let the camera find the best settings. Then by going to Manual, lock those camera settings for the following shots of that subject. I think you will be pleased with the results.

Charley

Jul 06, 2022 at 08:26 AM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Exposure Problems

Did you accidentally dial in some exposure compensation? Please don't ask how I know this?

Nov 14, 2022 at 01:02 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.