Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Parabolic umbrella face-off: Broncolor / Godox / Parabolix/ Glow compari...

GabrielPhoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Parabolic umbrella face-off: Broncolor / Godox / Parabolix/ Glow comparison!

Yes it took me a long time but finally the comparison is here
This took a lot of effort and time to complete so I would appreciate your support by letting the video finish running even if you only want to grab the files from the description.
Remember that for B&H or other companies to be interested in working with me in the future so I can get more products for tests they need to see some interest in the videos I make. If the videos do bad they will have zero incentive to work with me thus no more videos

I hope that the different sessions are good enough to provide valuable data to help you make an informed decision.
Thanks!

Jun 13, 2022 at 08:21 AM
Conner999
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Parabolic umbrella face-off: Broncolor / Godox / Parabolix/ Glow comparison!

Thanks for the test. We have the 133 and 88 and the test was very informative.

Jun 13, 2022 at 08:57 AM
GabrielPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Parabolic umbrella face-off: Broncolor / Godox / Parabolix/ Glow comparison!

Thank you.
How do you like both?
Do you feel they offer pretty unique looks like the different size Molas based on design or mostly is a difference in the size?
Conner999 wrote:
Thanks for the test. We have the 133 and 88 and the test was very informative.

Jun 13, 2022 at 09:14 AM
Conner999
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Parabolic umbrella face-off: Broncolor / Godox / Parabolix/ Glow comparison!

It's primarily size. You get wider coverage, more 'fill' and thus a softer light at the same distance. That said, the 88 is much smaller for smaller spaces and can get a more focused/fresnel look.

The Mola analogy is pretty close.

One big difference is the ease with which you can get the '24 light' ring-light effect when fully defocused with little to no light emitting from the center.

The larger the para, the easier it gets. We use ours with 6" alu baby pin extensions on the rods to allow us to get them as defocused as we want.

We often use a Godox R1200 ring light with the metal/glass shield replaced by a DIY (UV-coated) plexi safety shield to mimic the Bron Ring Light P, but...

...when using Profoto exposed bulb lamps, etc, the smaller para can be tweaked by blocking off the center of the rearward facing lamp to cut any direct light from the center of the para.

We use some carbon fiber discs we had kicking-around attached to inside of the Bowens/Profoto light mounts to block any direct light from the center of the lamp going rearward. Any opaque disc as large, or slightly larger, than the size of the lamp dome works.

Edited on Jul 23, 2022 at 06:47 AM · View previous versions

Jun 13, 2022 at 11:53 AM
GabrielPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Parabolic umbrella face-off: Broncolor / Godox / Parabolix/ Glow comparison!

Conner999 wrote:
It's primarily size in that you get wider coverage, more 'fill' and thus a softer lighter at the same distance. That said, the 88 is much smaller when open for smaller spaces and can get a more focused/fresnel look.

The Mola aanlogy is pretty close.

One big difference is the easy with which you can get the 24 lights ring-light effect when fully defocused. with little to no light emitting from the center.

The larger the para, the easier it gets. We use ours with alu 6" baby pin extensions on the rod to allow us to get the paras as defocused as
...Show more
SOmething like this?
https://www.amazon.com/Kupo-Baby-Stand-Extension-KG019312/dp/B07SWT799M/ref=pd_lpo_1?pd_rd_i=B07SWT799M&psc=1
I love your ideas above, great stuff!
I would love to see more about that R1200 mod too!
Thanks for sharing.

Jun 13, 2022 at 12:00 PM
Mujabad123

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Parabolic umbrella face-off: Broncolor / Godox / Parabolix/ Glow comparison!

As I said on DPR: Thank you very much for this comparison! Helps a lot!
First I' ll probably get the Godox AD600Pro flash (and maybe the 400 as well). After that I'll most probably order a Parabolix 55. Broncolor Paras look very good, but for the price I think Parabolix reflectors are real winners. In some of your results I even prefer the Parabolix reflectors.

Jun 13, 2022 at 01:30 PM
GabrielPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Parabolic umbrella face-off: Broncolor / Godox / Parabolix/ Glow comparison!

Mujabad123 wrote:
As I said on DPR: Thank you very much for this comparison! Helps a lot!
First I' ll probably get the Godox AD600Pro flash (and maybe the 400 as well). After that I'll most probably order a Parabolix 55. Broncolor Paras look very good, but for the price I think Parabolix reflectors are real winners. In some of your results I even prefer the Parabolix reflectors.

Thanks for the kindness
Do you find liking a specific setting on one vs the other, for example the flooded of the Broncolor vs the Parabolix and so on?

Jun 13, 2022 at 01:37 PM
neoshazam
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Parabolic umbrella face-off: Broncolor / Godox / Parabolix/ Glow comparison!

Nice.

Pretty much what I expected

Sidenote: the Closed Captioning for the video came up with some funny sayings...bear flash, brown color , etc.

Jun 13, 2022 at 08:21 PM
GabrielPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Parabolic umbrella face-off: Broncolor / Godox / Parabolix/ Glow comparison!

Ha nice about the cc 🤣
Are you using one of those?
neoshazam wrote:
Nice.

Pretty much what I expected

Sidenote: the Closed Captioning for the video came up with some funny sayings...bear flash, brown color , etc.

Jun 13, 2022 at 09:08 PM
Conner999
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Parabolic umbrella face-off: Broncolor / Godox / Parabolix/ Glow comparison!

More like this with a simple baby receptacle (3/8-16 thread) on the back. Very light and well made - and you have a spare.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1343360-REG/9_solutions_9_vb5101_h_3_5_baby_pin_set.html

No need for a steel pin - added weight for no gain.

GabrielPhoto wrote:
SOmething like this?
https://www.amazon.com/Kupo-Baby-Stand-Extension-KG019312/dp/B07SWT799M/ref=pd_lpo_1?pd_rd_i=B07SWT799M&psc=1
I love your ideas above, great stuff!
I would love to see more about that R1200 mod too!
Thanks for sharing.

Jun 14, 2022 at 08:09 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

GabrielPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Parabolic umbrella face-off: Broncolor / Godox / Parabolix/ Glow comparison!

Conner999 wrote:
More like this with a simple baby receptacle (3/8-16 thread) on the back. Very light and well made - and you have a spare.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1343360-REG/9_solutions_9_vb5101_h_3_5_baby_pin_set.html

No need for a steel pin - added weight for no gain.

Thank you. That will come in handy!

Jun 14, 2022 at 09:05 AM
neoshazam
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Parabolic umbrella face-off: Broncolor / Godox / Parabolix/ Glow comparison!

GabrielPhoto wrote:
Ha nice about the cc 🤣
Are you using one of those?

Still have the 40" Parabolix,
Still considering the Broncolor 133 and 88; only concerns are price, potential lack of use and wind (if 133 outside).

Jun 14, 2022 at 09:45 AM
GabrielPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Parabolic umbrella face-off: Broncolor / Godox / Parabolix/ Glow comparison!

neoshazam wrote:
Still considering the Broncolor 133 and 88; only concerns are price, potential lack of use and wind (if 133 outside).

All good points. Specially the price part
I am still trying to convince myself to NOT do it but my heart is set on that 133.

Jun 14, 2022 at 10:00 AM
Mujabad123

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Parabolic umbrella face-off: Broncolor / Godox / Parabolix/ Glow comparison!

Hi Gabriel Luis. Where can I download your test photos? Easier to judge.

Jun 14, 2022 at 12:00 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Parabolic umbrella face-off: Broncolor / Godox / Parabolix/ Glow comparison!

Conner999 wrote:
We use some carbon fiber discs we had kicking-around attached to inside of the Bowens/Profoto light mounts to block any direct light from the center of the lamp going rearward. Any opaque disc as large or slightly larger than the size of the lamp dome works.

Hmm, that's interesting. As an Elinchrom user, I've got a few of their deflectors that block direct light when using a forward facing head in a modifier without diffusion. Seems that could probably do the same thing. Thanks for the tip!

Jun 29, 2022 at 09:52 PM
GabrielPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Parabolic umbrella face-off: Broncolor / Godox / Parabolix/ Glow comparison!

neoshazam wrote:

Still debating this?
I am pretty much set on what I want but I got some gear to add (for my Home theater addiction) that is not cheap either lol. I need to focus on the only cheap hobby I got..RGB stuff for my computer as everything else I do is going to make me go broke

Jul 02, 2022 at 03:53 PM
neoshazam
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Parabolic umbrella face-off: Broncolor / Godox / Parabolix/ Glow comparison!

GabrielPhoto wrote:
Still debating this?
I am pretty much set on what I want but I got some gear to add (for my Home theater addiction) that is not cheap either lol. I need to focus on the only cheap hobby I got..RGB stuff for my computer as everything else I do is going to make me go broke

I'm interested in the 133 and to a lesser extent the 88 but I don't think I'd be able to use them enough to justify them yet.
In December they seem to get a ~10% discount, so that's when I'll probably seriously consider buying one again.

Jul 03, 2022 at 11:17 AM
GabrielPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Parabolic umbrella face-off: Broncolor / Godox / Parabolix/ Glow comparison!

neoshazam wrote:
I'm interested in the 133 and to a lesser extent the 88 but I don't think I'd be able to use them enough to justify them yet.
In December they seem to get a ~10% discount, so that's when I'll probably seriously consider buying one again.

I may as well wait for the same

Jul 03, 2022 at 11:53 AM
Gozo1

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Parabolic umbrella face-off: Broncolor / Godox / Parabolix/ Glow comparison!

neoshazam wrote:

I bought my Para 133 at the end of 2020 and the discount at that time was close to 30%. Paid about $2600 plus the adapter which was around $300, so about 3K. Worth the wait.

Jul 21, 2022 at 09:11 PM
Mujabad123

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Parabolic umbrella face-off: Broncolor / Godox / Parabolix/ Glow comparison!

GabrielPhoto wrote:
Thanks for the kindness
Do you find liking a specific setting on one vs the other, for example the flooded of the Broncolor vs the Parabolix and so on?

To answer this question, I would like to see the images you shot and compare them next to each other. Is there a place where I can see those on the internet? If so, where?
Thank you.

Jul 23, 2022 at 01:37 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password