FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              17              19       end

Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review

catacore
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.18 #1 · p.18 #1 · Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review

Fred Miranda wrote:
The CV 40/2.8 Heliar M-mount has click stops, but the aperture is linked to the focusing ring. So, you need to set the aperture first, then focus.

Yes, I read about this "quirk", but hopefully, I will adapt to it. If I'll buy the lens. Still pondering...

L.E. Interesting, but I could not find any picture with this lens attached to a Sony "C" camera, just to see how much it will protrude compared to the camera's grip.

Jun 17, 2024 at 09:00 PM
M_Wales
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.18 #2 · p.18 #2 · Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review

I purchased an eins 34mm filter for the lens and is it ever very low profile...

Thanks for the filter recommendation Fred..

If anyone's looking for a nice strap the Falcam strap pictured was purchased from B&H. I like the older Peak Design leash before they added the metal parts that could hit against the camera, but the Peak anchors are so short when connected to the strap that the connection point would rub the top plate on my M10. The Falcam maglink quick connect anchors are longer and clear the top plate.

They carry 4 colors and 3 different styles.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=falcam%20strap&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ps

Jun 26, 2024 at 07:06 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.18 #3 · p.18 #3 · Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review

M_Wales wrote:
I purchased an eins 34mm filter for the lens and is it ever very low profile...

Thanks for the filter recommendation Fred..

If anyone's looking for a nice strap the Falcam strap pictured was purchased from B&H. I like the older Peak Design leash before they added the metal parts that could hit against the camera, but the Peak anchors are so short when connected to the strap that the connection point would rub the top plate on my M10. The Falcam maglink quick connect anchors are longer and clear the top plate.

They carry 4 colors and 3 different styles.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=falcam%20strap&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ps

Looks great, I'm glad you liked it. In my opinion, it's the lowest profile solution for those who prefer not to use the supplied hood while keeping the lens protected. That strap is also a nice alternative to Peak Design.

Jun 26, 2024 at 07:52 PM
M_Wales
• • • •
p.18 #4 · p.18 #4 · Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review

Granted you can't use a lens cap either, but I guess it's a lens cap all it's own.. Pull it out, wipe it off and go..

Jun 26, 2024 at 08:26 PM
catacore
• •
p.18 #5 · p.18 #5 · Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review

Mine are in the post. Both the Heliar and the Eins filter.

Regarding the strap for the Leica camera, when I had my M-240 I have considered the PD strap to be not "stylish enough" for that camera.

Jun 27, 2024 at 08:41 AM
catacore
• •
p.18 #6 · p.18 #6 · Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review

I was wondering how small is this Heliar compared to other "normal" lenses from my collection.

Here's the answer (M-mount lenses with adapter M to E):

40Nokton-40Heliar-45i-50DL-50APO by Cata, on Flickr

Jul 02, 2024 at 02:26 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.18 #7 · p.18 #7 · Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review

Even adapted itís still super compact!

catacore wrote:
I was wondering how small is this Heliar compared to other "normal" lenses from my collection.

Here's the answer (M-mount lenses with adapter M to E):

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53831358150_228470c195_k.jpg40Nokton-40Heliar-45i-50DL-50APO by Cata, on Flickr

Jul 04, 2024 at 03:41 AM
catacore
• •
p.18 #8 · p.18 #8 · Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review

I shot the Heliar side by side for a few shots against the Nokton and what I can say now is that:

- the Heliar is wider than the Nokton wrt angle of view;
- the Heliar is more difficult to manual focus than the Nokton (both at f/2.8) using my A7Riv's EVF;
- the Nokton gives more yellowish tint while the Heliar is either reddish or blueish - they never match the colour temperature of each other, the Heliar gives usually cooler (lower colour temperature) colours;

Jul 04, 2024 at 09:57 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.18 #9 · p.18 #9 · Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review

Yes, the 40/1.2 Nokton has a narrower field of view than other 40mm lenses. I think the Heliar is more accurate in this respect.

Jul 12, 2024 at 03:10 PM
Norm Shapiro
• • •
p.18 #10 · p.18 #10 · Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review

I have a Heliar 40mm on order. On reading the last few pages Iím confused on filters. With a Tiffen 34mm filter on the lens can you still attach the shade? Or do I need one like Fred bought from Japan?

Jul 12, 2024 at 09:54 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.18 #11 · p.18 #11 · Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review

Norm Shapiro wrote:
I have a Heliar 40mm on order. On reading the last few pages Iím confused on filters. With a Tiffen 34mm filter on the lens can you still attach the shade? Or do I need one like Fred bought from Japan?

The shade is a simple screw-on 34mm thread. It will attach to any filter with 34mm filter threads on the front. The filter gymnastics being performed in this thread are in an attempt to get a shorter final solution: jamming a filter inside the hood, using a step-up ring as a hood, ditching the hood and using only a super thin filter, etc.

Avoid the Tiffen UVs, they are poor optically. Get the Heliopan multi-coated 34mm UV. Heliopan also has a single-coated 34mm UV, but having used both, I don't recommend it.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1138312-REG/heliopan_703411_34mm_uv_super_mc.html

The filter above comes into stock every month or so Ė only one or two, and they get snatched up. Might call B&H and see if they will hold one for you next time they come in.

Jul 13, 2024 at 12:08 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.18 #12 · p.18 #12 · Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review

I kinda want the 28mm version to match my 40! I just used the 40 on my M5 and forgot how delightful it is!

Will need to trade/unload my 28 Ultron v2.

Jul 13, 2024 at 12:51 AM
BruceRH
• •
p.18 #13 · p.18 #13 · Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review

Norm Shapiro wrote:

I bought the cheap Tiffen because it is cheap. Remove the glass and now you have a very small, slim, hood. Black out the ugly writing on the filter as well. I bought 2 of these filters, one for the 28 and one for the 40.

Jul 13, 2024 at 09:03 AM
Norm Shapiro
• • •
p.18 #14 · p.18 #14 · Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review

Thanks for the clarification on ghe filter discussion

Jul 13, 2024 at 02:33 PM
catacore
• •
p.18 #15 · p.18 #15 · Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review

Here is how it looks on the A7Cr (it has attached an 34/37mm step-up ring plus an UV/protection 37mm filter)

A7Cr-40Heliar by Cata, on Flickr

A7Cr-40Heliar-front by Cata, on Flickr

The 34mm EINS filter is still in the post, not sure when I'll get to see it.....looong way from Japan....

Jul 15, 2024 at 12:05 PM
kiaora

p.18 #16 · p.18 #16 · Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review

I have two heliar design lenses, the voigtlander and another. It has been mentioned here in this thread how modern the rendering is.

It's not that I didn't believe the posts but I didn't realise how modern the rendering is. Maybe it's something you have to see to understand. Firstly it's crazy sharp wide open. Bitingly sharp all the way 3/4s of the frame. Also the OOF areas don't seem to be classic, or what I'm used to. Must be the aspheric lens in the middle and the coatings. Very little flare. I guess, I'm not saying anything new here but I guess if someone were looking for a classic lens look this isn't it. It's great for what it is, tiny, well built. But not classic looking.

Jul 15, 2024 at 04:19 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.18 #17 · p.18 #17 · Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review

BruceRH wrote:
I bought the cheap Tiffen because it is cheap. Remove the glass and now you have a very small, slim, hood. Black out the ugly writing on the filter as well. I bought 2 of these filters, one for the 28 and one for the 40.

I tried the 34mm Tiffen filter, and it's terrible. It causes a lot more flare. If you hold it up to the light, you can see how poorly the glass is made. What a disappointment.

The 34mm Eins filter is of high quality and is the most compact option, being only about 1mm thick. However, because it is so thin, it does not have front filter threads, making it a hood-less solution.

Jul 16, 2024 at 07:59 AM
BruceRH
• •
p.18 #18 · p.18 #18 · Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review

Fred Miranda wrote:
I tried the 34mm Tiffen filter, and it's terrible. It causes a lot more flare. If you hold it up to the light, you can see how poorly the glass is made. What a disappointment.

The 34mm Eins filter is of high quality and is the most compact option, being only about 1mm thick. However, because it is so thin, it does not have front filter threads, making it a hood-less solution.

I took the glass out of it so the ring acts as a mini hood. Yeah, I would not buy that filter for the glass.

Jul 16, 2024 at 08:26 AM
Norm Shapiro
• • •
p.18 #19 · p.18 #19 · Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review

Any suggestions for a clear or UV filter for this lens Besides ENIS and Tiffen? Iíve followed Fredís lead and ordered an Enis from Japan but who knows when it will arrive. Thanks

Jul 16, 2024 at 06:49 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.18 #20 · p.18 #20 · Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review

Norm Shapiro wrote:
Any suggestions for a clear or UV filter for this lens Besides ENIS and Tiffen? Iíve followed Fredís lead and ordered an Enis from Japan but who knows when it will arrive. Thanks

You can always get a 34-39mm Heliopan step-up filter and use 39mm filters. Many people do this with the Leica 28/5.6 Summaron as well.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/160328-REG/Heliopan_700293_34mm_39mm_Step_Up.html

Jul 17, 2024 at 02:12 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.