Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3              7       8       end
  

SYOPTIC 50MM 1.1 Review

  
 
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · SYOPTIC 50MM 1.1 Review


SYOPTIC 50MM 1.1 Review
@BastianK at phillipreeve.net just posted a review on the new SYOPTIC 50mm f/1.1 ultra fast lens.

It's a very affordable lens with very pleasant rendering.

Here is an excerpt:
"The M-System seems to be extremely popular in China, as we still see an increasing amount of manufacturers offering new M-mount lenses from this country. The latest is Syoptic with this 50mm f/1.1, sometimes referred to as “Mr. Ding 50mm lens”. Some of the few samples I found online showed very appealing bokeh rendering, so I ordered one as soon as it was possible in Europe. It took longer than expected, but I finally have it in my hands, so let’s have a closer look.:

Read the full review:
https://phillipreeve.net/blog/review-syoptic-50mm-1-1/







Jan 31, 2022 at 10:14 AM
genji
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · SYOPTIC 50MM 1.1 Review


This appeals to me far more than the Nokton 50/1


Jan 31, 2022 at 10:16 AM
nehemiahphoto
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · SYOPTIC 50MM 1.1 Review


That was a great review--I too am interested. And thanks Bastian--lots of work, and I was not familiar with that lens which is exciting for me. The thing I'd like to know is how the colors/contrast are. Multiple times I have been disappointed by 3rd party makers (and sometimes first party) with anemic colors and contrast. It's a fine line between flat and gentle (and varies somewhat by person). You can boost in post, but files don't have the same feel IMO.

Bokeh (and price and size), really do look great though. How did you find the colors/contrast versus Zeiss or Leica or CV or MS Optics @BastianK?



Jan 31, 2022 at 10:17 AM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · SYOPTIC 50MM 1.1 Review


genji wrote:
This appeals to me far more than the Nokton 50/1:

Syoptic 50mm f/1.1



The craftmanship of this Syoptic 50mm 1.1 feels very solid and what was even more surprising: the rangefinder coupling as well as the hard infinity stop were perfectly calibrated out of the box – something I rarely encounter even with way more expensive lenses from reknown brands.

Whoa and for $320...



Jan 31, 2022 at 10:17 AM
genji
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · SYOPTIC 50MM 1.1 Review


Desmolicious wrote:
The craftmanship of this Syoptic 50mm 1.1 feels very solid and what was even more surprising: the rangefinder coupling as well as the hard infinity stop were perfectly calibrated out of the box – something I rarely encounter even with way more expensive lenses from reknown brands.

Whoa and for $320...


Hahah! I thought of you when I read that sentence about the hard infinity stop.



Jan 31, 2022 at 10:18 AM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · SYOPTIC 50MM 1.1 Review


genji wrote:
Hahah! I thought of you when I read that sentence about the hard infinity stop.


DOOD that drives me flippin' crazy! lol.



Jan 31, 2022 at 10:18 AM
rscheffler
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · SYOPTIC 50MM 1.1 Review


genji wrote:
This appeals to me far more than the Nokton 50/1:

Syoptic 50mm f/1.1

Desmolicious wrote:
The craftmanship of this Syoptic 50mm 1.1 feels very solid and what was even more surprising: the rangefinder coupling as well as the hard infinity stop were perfectly calibrated out of the box – something I rarely encounter even with way more expensive lenses from reknown brands.

Whoa and for $320...


This is a Mr. Ding creation… isn’t it the same person behind the Funleader Contax G lens M mount conversions?



Jan 31, 2022 at 10:19 AM
BastianK
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · SYOPTIC 50MM 1.1 Review


nehemiahphoto wrote:
That was a great review--I too am interested. And thanks Bastian--lots of work, and I was not familiar with that lens which is exciting for me. The thing I'd like to know is how the colors/contrast are. Multiple times I have been disappointed by 3rd party makers (and sometimes first party) with anemic colors and contrast. It's a fine line between flat and gentle (and varies somewhat by person). You can boost in post, but files don't have the same feel IMO.

Bokeh (and price and size), really do look great though. How did you find the colors/contrast versus Zeiss or
...Show more
When it comes to colors different people see different things.
If I don't like the colors I change them in post to my liking.

Out of the ~160 odd lenses I have used so far there where only a handful where there was a lack of, tonal separation, so to say, that made it very difficult for me to get the images to look the way I like in terms of colors. These where:
Flektogon 35mm 2.4
TTArtisan 50mm 0.95
ZY 50mm 0.95 EF version
Voigtländer 180mm 4.0
Some Jupiter lenses

So contrast and colors, to my eyes they are not different than those of e.g. the Voigtländer VM 50mm 1.2 in a to me field relevant way.
A slower, easier to design lens like the VM 50mm 1.5 II offers higher contrast though, I would expect the same of the Leica 50mm 1.4 Asph.
If this is the kind of contrast level you are looking for I am not sure you will be happy with any of the 50mm lenses faster than f/1.4.
And it has to be kept in mind the lens is a basic unit focus design, so we have the typical high spherical aberration in close focus scenarios, where I am sure the VM 1.0/50 will be sharper thanks to FLE, at least in the center of the frame that is.

I don't currently have any Zeiss or Leica 50mm lenses to directly compare it to.
This guy here compared it to the Leica Noctiluxes 50mm 1.0 and 50mm 1.2, at around 2:38 you see them side by side:


I don't see any notable differences in color rendition here, but I also don't know if he matched colors or contrast in post.

The MS-Optics 50mm 1.0 ISM is technically worse in every imaginable way, simple as that.


rscheffler wrote:
This is a Mr. Ding creation… isn’t it the same person behind the Funleader Contax G lens M mount conversions?

It was initially marketed as the "Mr. Ding 50mm lens", but in the eBay offerings such relations have been removed in the meantime.
In discussion with their sales guy it felt like almost Japanese corporate relationship issues to me.



Jan 31, 2022 at 10:20 AM
KLaban
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · SYOPTIC 50MM 1.1 Review


genji wrote:
This appeals to me far more than the Nokton 50/1:

Syoptic 50mm f/1.1


Thanks for the link. This lens could well be what I have been looking for for some considerable time.

I'm in the UK. Anyone have a clue where this lens can be purchased and under what name as this seems variable.

TIA



Jan 31, 2022 at 10:21 AM
genji
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · SYOPTIC 50MM 1.1 Review


KLaban wrote:
Thanks for the link. This lens could well be what I have been looking for for some considerable time.

I'm in the UK. Anyone have a clue where this lens can be purchased and under what name as this seems variable.

TIA


The seller is away during Chinese New Year but you can still place an order for the M-mount version.

As Bastian mentioned in his review, there’s also an E-mount version.



Jan 31, 2022 at 10:21 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

KLaban
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · SYOPTIC 50MM 1.1 Review


genji wrote:
The seller is away during Chinese New Year but you can still place an order for the M-mount version.

As Bastian mentioned in his review, there’s also an E-mount version.


Many thanks, much appreciated.



Jan 31, 2022 at 10:22 AM
mapgraphs
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · SYOPTIC 50MM 1.1 Review


genji wrote:
This appeals to me far more than the Nokton 50/1:

Syoptic 50mm f/1.1


Interesting. I wonder if this is an updated (or rebadged) DJ Optical 1.1/50. Same f/8 to f/16 spread (missing f/11 on the ring) and the adjustable cam looks like a DJ design...



Jan 31, 2022 at 10:22 AM
LarsHP
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · SYOPTIC 50MM 1.1 Review


mapgraphs wrote:
Interesting. I wonder if this is an updated (or rebadged) DJ Optical 1.1/50. Same f/8 to f/16 spread (missing f/11 on the ring) and the adjustable cam looks like a DJ design...


If you read the review, Bastian Kratzke makes it clear that it's far from the same lens.



Jan 31, 2022 at 10:23 AM
JVan_02
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · SYOPTIC 50MM 1.1 Review


genji wrote:
The seller is away during Chinese New Year but you can still place an order for the M-mount version.

As Bastian mentioned in his review, there’s also an E-mount version.


I looked at the e-mount version. In the review, Bastian says the e-mount has a different optical design but I'm not seeing it from that link. Am I blind or is an illustration missing/misappropriated?

Not about to get an m-mount camera, so this would be an extremely appealing package at current prices.



Jan 31, 2022 at 10:23 AM
BastianK
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · SYOPTIC 50MM 1.1 Review


JVan_02 wrote:
I looked at the e-mount version. In the review, Bastian says the e-mount has a different optical design but I'm not seeing it from that link. Am I blind or is an illustration missing/misappropriated?

Not about to get an m-mount camera, so this would be an extremely appealing package at current prices.

Don't put too much trust in the ebay descriptions.
I have seen pictures showing that the E-mount version has a bigger diameter rear element (~37mm) than the M-mount version (~32mm).
I don't know about other differences yet and until after CNY this is very unlikely to change.
I asked for an E-mount review sample, but they are not sure yet if it is worth it to send me one (reminder: I bought the M-mount version, it is not a review loaner).

Quite ironic that those that are seemingly able to design a telecentric 50mm f/1.1 lens that performs the same regardless of filter stack go through the trouble of making a different design for E-mount.



Jan 31, 2022 at 10:24 AM
JVan_02
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · SYOPTIC 50MM 1.1 Review


Ah, thanks for the clarification! Well, not in any hurry to buy anything atm. If you get a copy to test/communication from the manufacturer, let me know! Still might pick up the M-mount version at some point, but considering its more expensive and I need to get an adapter I'd need more consideration for what is going to be essentially a niche lens in my use.



Jan 31, 2022 at 10:24 AM
KLaban
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · SYOPTIC 50MM 1.1 Review


My interest and intention is to use the VM version Syoptic on Nikon Z cameras via my existing Novoflex adapter. Intended for specific projects shot in the range f/1.1 to f/2.


Jan 31, 2022 at 10:25 AM
dancook
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · SYOPTIC 50MM 1.1 Review


Just bought a 50mm nokton 1.2, any summary difference between the two?


Jan 31, 2022 at 10:38 AM
CheshireCat
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · SYOPTIC 50MM 1.1 Review


dancook wrote:
Just bought a 50mm nokton 1.2, any summary difference between the two?


Also discussed in Bastian’s very informative review.



Jan 31, 2022 at 10:55 AM
bemei
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · SYOPTIC 50MM 1.1 Review


I'd be happier if it didn't have the OM style opposite direction aperture and focus rings. Never got used to that.


Jan 31, 2022 at 11:33 AM
1
       2       3              7       8       end






FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3              7       8       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password