fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       51              end
  

Nikon Z 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR S images thread

  
 
Maxxus46
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.52 #1 · Nikon Z 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR S images thread




Ross Martin wrote:
I hear you, Bruce. For me, the 24-120 and 100-400 are the best two-lens combo for landscape/nature photography that exists. I used these two extensively on the Z9 when it first came out, then took a break from Nikon Z to Sony for some very specific needs, and came back to Z this year with the Z8 and the 24-120/100-400. My current copies are nearly perfect corner to corner even wide open and this pair is a big reason why I walked away from the higher res, higher DR A7R6 (the other reason being the superior ergonomics of the
...Show more →
Agree with everything you said! The Z100-400 is an excellent lens. I made the mistake of selling my first copy and later realized how much I relied on that lens focal range. So I bought another copy, which happens to be much sharper than my first . I do believe copy variation is real with this lens, but when you get a good one it's truly excellent. Tyl



Sep 26, 2026 at 08:56 AM
Maxxus46
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.52 #2 · Nikon Z 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR S images thread




Ross Martin wrote:
100-400 + 1.4x on Z8

560mm wide open at f/8, deep crop

Excellent shot. The micro contrast of this lens is impressive. I do believe that is one area this zoom excels at. Tyl



Sep 26, 2026 at 09:00 AM
Maxxus46
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.52 #3 · Nikon Z 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR S images thread




RoamingScott wrote:
My most neglected lens of the last year

I'm mentally just ready for the Mark II and will pay an iron price for it.

I'm perfectly happy with the existing version. I used to own the Sony 100-400GM and the Nikon is better overall (sharpness might be a draw but the Nikons micro contrast, rendering and bokeh are superior). I also prefer the extending zoom as it packs into smaller bags, and let's not forget the magic Nikon has worked into this lens balance. The lens balance feels the same Fully extended vs when It's retracted.. the inner balance tech with absolutely no zoom creep is awesome. I pair this lens with my 600pf which is a great combo. Love this lens!



Sep 26, 2026 at 09:24 AM
Ross Martin
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.52 #4 · Nikon Z 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR S images thread


Maxxus46 wrote:
Excellent shot. The micro contrast of this lens is impressive. I do believe that is one area this zoom excels at. Tyl


Thank you! I agree with your comments about the lens, Nikon did a really nice job on this design. And like you, my first copy was ok but returning to Nikon Z system now my 2nd copy is fantastic.

I enjoy long focal length for some flower photography, helps with isolating backgrounds. This is also with the 1.4x at 560mm:







Sep 28, 2026 at 10:39 PM
old_hikingman
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.52 #5 · Nikon Z 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR S images thread




Ross Martin wrote:
I agree with your comments about the lens, Nikon did a really nice job on this design. And like you, my first copy was ok but returning to Nikon Z system now my 2nd copy is fantastic.

I enjoy long focal length for some flower photography, helps with isolating backgrounds. This is also with the 1.4x at 560mm:


My experience is exactly the same. I had a 100-400 and swapped it out for a 400, then missed the flexibility of the zoom and got a 2nd copy. Centering tests and testing at 400mm, it is remarkably better than my 1st copy!

Dave



Sep 29, 2026 at 11:34 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

Maxxus46
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.52 #6 · Nikon Z 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR S images thread




Ross Martin wrote:
Thank you! I agree with your comments about the lens, Nikon did a really nice job on this design. And like you, my first copy was ok but returning to Nikon Z system now my 2nd copy is fantastic.

I enjoy long focal length for some flower photography, helps with isolating backgrounds. This is also with the 1.4x at 560mm:

Beautiful shot!



Sep 29, 2026 at 08:05 PM
Maxxus46
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.52 #7 · Nikon Z 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR S images thread




old_hikingman wrote:
My experience is exactly the same. I had a 100-400 and swapped it out for a 400, then missed the flexibility of the zoom and got a 2nd copy. Centering tests and testing at 400mm, it is remarkably better than my 1st copy!

Dave

Yes there certainly seems to be copy to copy variation with this lens. That said my second copy is much sharper than my first and has once again become my most used lens. Take care



Sep 29, 2026 at 08:07 PM
Ross Martin
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.52 #8 · Nikon Z 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR S images thread


Maxxus46 wrote:
Beautiful shot!


Thanks!



Oct 01, 2026 at 10:23 PM
Ross Martin
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.52 #9 · Nikon Z 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR S images thread


Tonight’s ethereal sun setting behind haze over the Blue Ridge Mountains, North Carolina







Oct 01, 2026 at 10:28 PM
Maxxus46
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.52 #10 · Nikon Z 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR S images thread




Ross Martin wrote:
Tonight’s ethereal sun setting behind haze over the Blue Ridge Mountains, North Carolina

Excellent shot. Love the compression and colors here ! Such landscapes are well suited to this lens focal range. Tyl



Oct 02, 2026 at 02:27 PM
1       2       3       …       51              end






FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       51              end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account