New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2021 · $0.38 per photo!

marks1953

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · $0.38 per photo!

I have been a wedding photographer for over 20 years. Due to Covid I have done very few weddings in the past 12-18 months. I would like to look at the possibility of selling landscape prints or images. I live in a very picturesque location, beaches, ocean, white sand etc.
Anyone on here got any suggestions on how to do this? Marketing? Instagram? Facebook? what about Stock photography? I joined Alamy but a lot of photographers on their forum are complaining about getting $0.38 per photo!
I live in Australia. How to get a print orders from a website up and running?
How do people get to sell their photos?

Sep 18, 2021 at 11:13 PM
mdude85
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · $0.38 per photo!

Stock and Instagram are not good ways to make money. In fact you probably won't make any money from Instagram, and what you make from stock will likely not be enough to even offset the huge time investment to get your stock portfolio up and running.

My advice is wait it out, because weddings will come back. Further, there are other session photography opportunities out there -- engagement shoots, pets, children, interiors, headshots, corporate events, etc.

Sep 22, 2021 at 02:08 PM
story_teller
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · $0.38 per photo!

Hopefully your government will begin to lift some of the heavy rules regarding the lockdown in your country. In the meantime all I can say is do what you can do remotely. You might contact your previous wedding clients (if you still have the images) with discounted print packages, albums, etc, of their weddings. Just a thought. Some may be in a better financial position than they were when first married or might like a new album, tabletop book, etc.

Sep 23, 2021 at 06:39 AM
thedruid
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · $0.38 per photo!

I've been shooting stock for a long time, I was initially with Corbis but they went under a few years back. Most of my sales, around 95% are now through Getty Images, the rest through another 80 agencies I'm distributed through.

Around 2005-08 thing started to change big time, as Mirco stock started to take hold and camera sensors improved, trickling down to the consumer level. Now anyone could submit work to these agencies, which eventually put pressure on the big guys Getty/Corbis, they then introduced their own micro stock which eventually killed off Right Managed and lowered the price of Royal Free images...

Anyway long story short, today to make sales over over $10 an image you need to focus on Lifestlye/People images, fashion and style are always changing, the Eiffel Tower not so much. In your people shots you must show diversity. The formula for successful stock sales has not changed since in many years, but the price/value of a photo has.

Nov 25, 2021 at 10:27 AM
atnpro
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · $0.38 per photo!

I've been with Getty for quite a long time but I stopped submitting new images around ten years ago since it's worth the effort. Some of my landscape images can still generate some tiny income, about a few hundred dollars each year. If you want to get into stock today, I'd say get into stock for video instead.

Dec 12, 2021 at 05:53 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.