Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              13      
       15       end

Pre-order: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art ($899)

JVan_02
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.14 #1 · p.14 #1 · Pre-order: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art ($899)

j4nu wrote:
Ah, yes when it comes to close-up performance both the Samyang and the Sigma suffer a bit...
I also saw that test, where surprisingly the GM is on similar level as 35i when it comes to rendering and since I don't find the GM too big/heavy, I found little reason to stay with the Sigma.
Edit: 65i is similar though, not as sharp as the APO but with nicer rendering (at least from the samples posted here).

Well, yes—at 35 the GM is able to offer superior resolution and similar rendering, which makes the GM a rare case of a direct upgrade in optics IMO, and what separates the 35i from the 24i f2 and the 65i.

About your edit, the 65i IS actually within copy variation of the 65 APO Lanthar. See these two imatest results from lenstip.

First, the 65i. We have what appears to be an inferior curve here, but note the different scale when compared to the 65 APO.

Then, the 65 APO Lanthar:

Additionally, the 65i actually has nicer rendering than the 65 APO Lanthar while being basically as resolvant. Neat trick!

Oct 04, 2021 at 06:51 AM
j4nu
• • • •
p.14 #2 · p.14 #2 · Pre-order: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art ($899)

JVan_02 wrote:
Well, yes—at 35 the GM is able to offer superior resolution and similar rendering, which makes the GM a rare case of a direct upgrade in optics IMO, and what separates the 35i from the 24i f2 and the 65i.

About your edit, the 65i IS actually within copy variation of the 65 APO Lanthar. See these two imatest results from lenstip.

First, the 65i. We have what appears to be an inferior curve here, but note the different scale when compared to the 65 APO.

Then, the 65 APO Lanthar:

Additionally, the 65i actually has nicer rendering than the 65
...Show more

Good point, I forgot about those lenstip results... but since we're on Fred's playground I'll stand by my words:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1689786#chapter3

As I said, the actual pictures I saw posted here lean towards the APO being sharper with the Sigma rendering nicer.

Oct 04, 2021 at 07:15 AM
newdom

p.14 #3 · p.14 #3 · Pre-order: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art ($899)

The 35GM is twice the price here, I see zero difference in any images, so it's a tough choice.

That makes it a very easy choice in my book - no difference in images, half the price, i'll go for that please
I've been following the 35GM image thread here for a while and been blown away by the quality of the photos, if the Sigma is anywhere near that quality I'd be over the moon.

It'll be interesting to hear what you think of it newdom. The above samples look lovely. It's the same where I'm at, the GM is twice the price and a shorter warranty. (Sigma warranty is a little bit nicer than Tamron's extended warranty as well because tied to the lens which is good for resale)

The terms of the warranty are a bit murky - I can't find any details on Sigma's site. But I did find this reseller with some details that suggest that the extended portion of the warranty at least is *not* transferrable:
https://www.wilkinson.co.uk/sigma-warranty
"This extended warranty is registered with Sigma Imaging (UK) Ltd, is not transferable.."
"This service is valid to the original purchaser of the product and is not transferable or assignable."

This is the same as Tamron, Samyang etc, and why I prefer to buy things grey import rather than second hand as it's often cheaper to buy the grey import. If the grey-vs-official difference isn't that significant then I tend to buy it new from a UK shop.

Well, maybe a few things:
FM Members tend to be on the wealthier side. There are some exceptions, but this tends to be a rule.
FM Members tend to be from the US, which would make wealth less of an issue.
Size I think is the big X-factor of the GM. While it's more expensive everywhere, for less size you can get: more reliable image quality (less fiddling with SA up close), better reproduction ratio, and a much better AF system. If the Sigma were cheaper, slightly less technically proficient, and also slightly smaller it might find some users who typically avoid bigger, more
...Show more

Yeah I agree. A lot of enthusiast and professional photographers seem to be happy to pay the premium for the GM, I think it's got enough momentum and reviews behind it to persuade people to fork out the extra, particularly in the US where the difference is much smaller. Also agree that Sigma should have made the 35 smaller if they could have. The new 85DGDN has been a real hit because it's comparatively so small while providing fantastic performance. Perhaps Sigma compromised on more expensive optics necessary to get the size down? I ended up going for the Sigma as I don't see the 16mm length and 116g weight difference a major factor at these large lens sizes while the price difference is so significant, and I was blown away by the 85DGDN that I had for a few days.

Oct 05, 2021 at 05:21 AM
kaldur
• •
p.14 #4 · p.14 #4 · Pre-order: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art ($899)

newdom wrote:
The terms of the warranty are a bit murky - I can't find any details on Sigma's site. But I did find this reseller with some details that suggest that the extended portion of the warranty at least is *not* transferrable:
https://www.wilkinson.co.uk/sigma-warranty
"This extended warranty is registered with Sigma Imaging (UK) Ltd, is not transferable.."
"This service is valid to the original purchaser of the product and is not transferable or assignable."

This is the same as Tamron, Samyang etc, and why I prefer to buy things grey import rather than second hand as it's often cheaper to buy the grey import. If the
...Show more

Ah sorry, I thought it would be sameish, at least for a detail like this, in Europe at the least.
Seems not then:
https://www.sigma-imaging.se/extended-warranty-registration :
Since the warranty is tied to the product and not the owner, it will still apply even if you decide to sell the lens or camera

Oct 05, 2021 at 09:20 AM
newdom

p.14 #5 · p.14 #5 · Pre-order: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art ($899)

kaldur wrote:
Ah sorry, I thought it would be sameish, at least for a detail like this, in Europe at the least.
Seems not then:
https://www.sigma-imaging.se/extended-warranty-registration :

Scandinavians get all the fun

I was curious so I emailed Sigma UK and they confirmed that in the UK, both the 1 year and extended 2 year (for a total of 3 year) warranty is *non*-transferable and must be bought from new by the original owner

I don't know why they do that, it simply increases the likelihood that people will buy grey imports. If the warranty was transferable the used value would be higher and I would have bought it new from Sigma/UK reseller, absolutely no question.

Oct 06, 2021 at 04:48 AM
JVan_02
• • •
p.14 #6 · p.14 #6 · Pre-order: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art ($899)

newdom wrote:
Yeah I agree. A lot of enthusiast and professional photographers seem to be happy to pay the premium for the GM, I think it's got enough momentum and reviews behind it to persuade people to fork out the extra, particularly in the US where the difference is much smaller. Also agree that Sigma should have made the 35 smaller if they could have.

Was just thinking about this comment and I think that's the real appeal of the Leica M system as it is today—and to some extent, some of the strongest nostalgia for me in terms of film. Is the Leica 35 1.4 Summilux the best 35 1.4 on a technical or rendering perspective? Well, no, frankly—and I don't even think it's in the running.

But if I won the lottery, would I buy and use an M camera? Probably. I don't think it's a big stretch to say they've done the most for shrinking top quality optics to manageable sizes... admittedly at some absurd costs. I really hope some manufacturer really tries to unseat them.

Oct 06, 2021 at 09:31 AM
QR45

p.14 #7 · p.14 #7 · Pre-order: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art ($899)

Here are links to some of mine using the Sigma 35/f1.4 dgdn on Sony A7R3. They are processed a bit.
https://500px.com/photo/1035907710/tel-aviv-by-amir-leshem
https://500px.com/photo/1036714763/tel-aviv-by-amir-leshem

Oct 08, 2021 at 07:12 AM
bjornthun
• • • •
p.14 #8 · p.14 #8 · Pre-order: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art ($899)

JVan_02 wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/zYGAF1k.png">

Additionally, the 65i actually has nicer rendering than the 65
...Show more

The graphs show the 65i to be sharper than the 65 Apo Lanthar, particularly at wider apertures f/2-f/4.

Oct 08, 2021 at 08:10 PM
JVan_02
• • •
p.14 #9 · p.14 #9 · Pre-order: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art ($899)

bjornthun wrote:
The graphs show the 65i to be sharper than the 65 Apo Lanthar, particularly at wider apertures f/2-f/4.

Eh, I'd call it within copy variation imo. Slightly better version of the 65i appeared than the APO-Lanthar that time. They're both within the top echelon of modern performance, and I doubt anyone could even pixel peep those two results apart.

Oct 09, 2021 at 02:59 AM
kaldur
• •
p.14 #10 · p.14 #10 · Pre-order: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art ($899)

newdom wrote:
Scandinavians get all the fun

I was curious so I emailed Sigma UK and they confirmed that in the UK, both the 1 year and extended 2 year (for a total of 3 year) warranty is *non*-transferable and must be bought from new by the original owner

I don't know why they do that, it simply increases the likelihood that people will buy grey imports. If the warranty was transferable the used value would be higher and I would have bought it new from Sigma/UK reseller, absolutely no question.

Haha yeah, that makes it worth to purchase it from a regional seller here indeed. I would likely have just done so since Sigma is running an "autumn cashback". Alas, no Sigma 35/1,4DN on that list (no Sigma 105 DN macro either). The 65 and 35 "i"-series are though. That would make the 35i merely around 120USD more expensive than as a grey version and very much a regional purchase.

( Sony's lenses are typically different. The 40G is ~320USD more expensive regional than grey. )

Oct 09, 2021 at 03:10 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

bjornthun
• • • •
p.14 #11 · p.14 #11 · Pre-order: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art ($899)

JVan_02 wrote:
Eh, I'd call it within copy variation imo. Slightly better version of the 65i appeared than the APO-Lanthar that time. They're both within the top echelon of modern performance, and I doubt anyone could even pixel peep those two results apart.

At f/2.8 and f/4 the midzones look better on the 65i. Does the 65 Apo Lanthar have a midzone dip? This could be beyond pixel peeping.

With AF my results with the 65i would quickly be better to the point of much beyond mere sample variation. Combine that with better bokeh.

Oct 09, 2021 at 03:58 AM
Ihmemies2

p.14 #12 · p.14 #12 · Pre-order: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art ($899)

I've been trying to sell a Voigtländer EF mount 40/2 Ultron for two years. My asking price has been 250€, no takers. Comes with box, close-up lens etc.

So today I found out a shop which sells the new Sigma 35/1.4 DG DN used for 500€. Yes... so I asked if they wanted to give me a swap offer.

Result: I sell the Ultron to the shop, and I pay 250€ and get the new Sigma. I think that's a worthwile trade. The Ultron is extremely hard to sell, and the only special thing is the ring flare it produces with some strong spot lights.

As the Sigma 35/1.4 DG DN is the only 35/1.4 AF lens for L mount currently, I think this will be a good trade Can't wait to get the lens and take some photos with it! The previous 35mm lens I've used is the Nikkor Ai 35mm f/1.4, which is also a manual focus lens. I've never owned an AF 35mm f/1.4 lens before.

Nov 22, 2021 at 05:40 AM
Alan Parker
• • •
p.14 #13 · p.14 #13 · Pre-order: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art ($899)

Ihmemies2 wrote:
Result: I sell the Ultron to the shop, and I pay 250€ and get the new Sigma.

Sounds like a great piece of business! Have fun with the new lens!

Nov 22, 2021 at 05:48 AM
newdom

p.14 #14 · p.14 #14 · Pre-order: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art ($899)

Ihmemies2 wrote:
I've been trying to sell a Voigtländer EF mount 40/2 Ultron for two years. My asking price has been 250€, no takers. Comes with box, close-up lens etc.

So today I found out a shop which sells the new Sigma 35/1.4 DG DN used for 500€. Yes... so I asked if they wanted to give me a swap offer.

Result: I sell the Ultron to the shop, and I pay 250€ and get the new Sigma. I think that's a worthwile trade. The Ultron is extremely hard to sell, and the only special thing is the ring flare it produces with
...Show more

That's an outstanding deal!

The Sigma 35/1.4 DG DN is a beautiful lens - beautifully crafted, superb quality, lovely rendering. Just a great lens. If it was a little smaller it would be perfection.

Nov 22, 2021 at 10:10 AM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.14 #15 · p.14 #15 · Pre-order: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art ($899)

Matt Kerby wrote:
I know this is mostly for Sony users, but here's my .02$ from the L mount version

Holy cow, from what I've been reading I expected my 35 1.4 DN that I just got today to be pretty good, was hoping for decent, I figured the CA would be terrible and the close up focus wouldn't be as sharp as my other lenses. Some of the reviews for this lens just got me worried I guess.

What I got was an amazing 35mm lens that is VERY sharp wide open, close up or mid range. The CA didn't "catch my eye"
...Show more

In general, the FM crowd is extremely technically critical as for many it seems as much about the gear as the photos. Current options are so good and plentiful from so many manufactures that’s you’ll often see reviews or user reports with things like 100% or 200% crops in the extreme corners on high res sensors WO as major demerits. I get into the weeds too, but more as curiosity and habit and so I know what to expect—rarely does technical short coming stop a purchase for me at this point, and many of my favorite images (and images I see from others on FM and elsewhere) are with older lenses. Size aside, I could be happy with the ZA 35, Sigma 35, or GM 35/1.4, preference aside.

I am more concerned with things flare like resistance, size, OOF areas, color/contrast, ergonomics and price. I am glad you like your new 35/1.4

Nov 22, 2021 at 01:10 PM
Ihmemies2

p.14 #16 · p.14 #16 · Pre-order: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art ($899)

The lens is huge. I didn't realize it would be so large. It is the largest prime lens I own, even the old 50/1.4 HSM Art is smaller, and 85/1.4 DG DN. I don't even want to think about how big and heavy the 35/1.2 would be, since the 35/1.4 DG DN is already way too big Sigma said it would be smaller than the 35/1.4 HSM, but this new lens is actually way bigger!

Problem is that the photos look quite nice, and I don't wan to swap to 35/2 DG DN. So I guess I have to live with this oversized 35mm for now...

The hood is an another story too, it is as large as the 85/1.4 DG DN's hood, in other words way way way too big on top of the already too big lens. I put the hood carefully to the box the lens came in and stored it away. I got a Haoge rectangular metal hood for my 85mm, and I bought one in 67mm size for the 35/1.4. The aftermarket hood still probably makes the lens too large for my lens drawer. Hopefully it'll fit.

Sony 35mm 1.4 GM is reasonably sized in comparison and I'd buy the Sony if I was using E mount and had the money. I think the size difference is already worth it to buy the Sony lens.

Here are some samples with the 35/1.4 DG DN from yesterday. Build quality is the same as with 85/1.4 DG DN. Some metal (rings, lens base), some plastic (lens barrel, hood bayonet & filter threads). The contemporary lenses are made much nicer though, so for the best build quality I'd buy C lenses instead of Art.

Nov 28, 2021 at 06:16 AM
Ihmemies2

p.14 #17 · p.14 #17 · Pre-order: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art ($899)

Here are the 35/1.4 and 85/1.4 DG DN lens hoods next to each other. Both are huge bowls and take up as much room as a lens, so they basically double the size of the lens if you can't carry them mounted to each other. My backpack and shoulder bag are too small to carry the lenses with hoods mounted so I have to remove the hood and store it in place of another lens.

Here are the 85/1.4, 35/1.4 and 24/2 DG DN lenses.
- 85mm with Haoge 77mm square hood is smaller than the 35/1.4 without any hood at all!
- 24/2 is about the size of 85/1.4 without hood.
- 35/1.4 DG DN is the largest prime lens I've ever personally used. It wouldn't be so bad if it was 2-3 cm shorter at least.

Edited on Nov 28, 2021 at 06:31 AM · View previous versions

Nov 28, 2021 at 06:30 AM
Bob_S
• • •
p.14 #18 · p.14 #18 · Pre-order: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art ($899)

If you think this 35mm lens is huge, you should check out the Nikon 0.95 Noct, any 70-200, any 2.8/24-70, a 1.4/105 and about 100 other lenses.

It's huge compared to a 2.8/35, but it isn't huge compared to lenses I used every day and carried twice or three times simultaneously for a living.

No other 35 renders like the Sigma 1.2 35 and at under $900 USD right now, you'd have to be crazy or anaemic to purchase anything else.

Nov 28, 2021 at 06:30 AM
scalanc2
• • •
p.14 #19 · p.14 #19 · Pre-order: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art ($899)

Is there any reason they are selling this lens under 900 in your opinion?
To me there is.

Nov 28, 2021 at 06:42 AM
Ihmemies2

p.14 #20 · p.14 #20 · Pre-order: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art ($899)

Bob_S wrote:
If you think this 35mm lens is huge, you should check out the Nikon 0.95 Noct, any 70-200, any 2.8/24-70, a 1.4/105 and about 100 other lenses.

No thanks. I get shivers just thinking about the size of them

It's huge compared to a 2.8/35, but it isn't huge compared to lenses I used every day and carried twice or three times simultaneously for a living.

It is huge compared to the 35/2 DG DN. Or my 35mm 1.4 Nikkor, which I used before. I wanted to increase my keeper rate from ~30% to 90%+ and upgraded my lenses to AF versions.

No other 35 renders like the Sigma 1.2 35 and at under $900 USD right now, you'd have to be crazy or anaemic to purchase anything else.

In this comparison the difference doesn't seem to be significant with 35mm GM, 35/1.4 and 35/1.2. Someone locally was asking 700€ for a used L-mount 35/1.2, I think it eventually sold for around 600-650€. It was on sale for months.

https://www.magicweddingphotographer.com/sigma-35-1-4-dg-dn-vs-sony-35-1-4-gm-vs-sigma-35-1-2-dg-dn-samples/

Nov 28, 2021 at 06:43 AM
       15       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

15       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password