Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              end

Pre-order: Samyang 24mm f/1.8 E-mount ($499)

Immortal
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Pre-order: Samyang 24mm f/1.8 E-mount ($499)

They had a bad copy (read above) their samples are pretty mediocre at best.

Sep 07, 2021 at 03:34 PM
Charlie N
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Pre-order: Samyang 24mm f/1.8 E-mount ($499)

NJPhotographer wrote:
That looks excellent to me. It's at f/2.

the left side is excellent, the right side, not so much, quite a bit of fall off.

the lens should be excellent wide open, at least my copy is really good, easily as good as the GM

Sep 07, 2021 at 04:25 PM
NJPhotographer
• • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Pre-order: Samyang 24mm f/1.8 E-mount ($499)

Charlie N wrote:
the left side is excellent, the right side, not so much, quite a bit of fall off.

the lens should be excellent wide open, at least my copy is really good, easily as good as the GM

I'm not sure what you're seeing. The buildings on the right side are farther away, so f/2 may show them to be slightly less in focus than then left side, which is nearer. Even so, I can easily make out the license plate on the green car on the right, and the street name on the building. The cobblestones & grass look the same on both sides, even at 200%. I'm not seeing any significant fall off on the right side. Overall, this is excellent, and even more so at this price.

Sep 07, 2021 at 05:18 PM
Flavourdynamic
• •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Pre-order: Samyang 24mm f/1.8 E-mount ($499)

NJPhotographer wrote:
I'm not sure what you're seeing. The buildings on the right side are farther away, so f/2 may show them to be slightly less in focus than then left side, which is nearer. Even so, I can easily make out the license plate on the green car on the right, and the street name on the building. The cobblestones & grass look the same on both sides, even at 200%. I'm not seeing any significant fall off on the right side. Overall, this is excellent, and even more so at this price.

Like I said, this might very well be a DOF effect and not an image I would judge a lens by, but the right side looks hazy and unsharp to me.

Sep 07, 2021 at 05:30 PM
unhappymeal

p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Pre-order: Samyang 24mm f/1.8 E-mount ($499)

Immortal wrote:
Let me put some context to this since LensTip is just an english translation of their main site which is Optyczne.pl. We talked with the author of this article in the comments and we almost all agree that he had an bad copy of the lens. We linked him some examples of our pictures with a good copy. Sadly just like QC in Samyang is still kinda random, Optyczne.pl/LensTip never retests the same lens with another copy.

In conclusion don't take their review to heart.

I also think Dustin is on the other extreme where he gets the best copy (like most
...Show more

Yes, this isn't the first time Lenstip has had a curiously conclusion based on sample variation. I recall they panned the Panasonic-Leica 100-400, but other reviewers have said it's a fantastically sharp lens.

Sep 09, 2021 at 09:50 AM
mbo27

p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Pre-order: Samyang 24mm f/1.8 E-mount ($499)

I've just acquired the lens and so far, I'm impressed. I did a decentering test and I think the the top left corner is slightly blurred but (for me at least), it seems within the acceptable range since I can't see the difference unless I'm looking at 200% or more.
I have the Voigtlander 21mm already and really I'm getting the Samyang with the intent of using it for astrophotography and the few instances I need auto-focus.
Showing 3 photos below. I just used the 'auto' adjustment in LR and made sure the 'sharpen' option is off when exporting to JPG.
The astro photo is just a test outside my house to test the infinity button and it worked perfectly. The other 2 photos really show the sharpness of the lens which is just amazing. I do like also the rendering. As it stands now, it is a keeper.

Sep 25, 2021 at 10:29 PM
esanchez
• • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Pre-order: Samyang 24mm f/1.8 E-mount ($499)

I just got this lens...WOW so sharp. I bought the 35mm 1.8 and wasn't impressed but this 24mm 1.8 is really really good.

Nov 16, 2021 at 09:07 PM
PrimeTime21

p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Pre-order: Samyang 24mm f/1.8 E-mount ($499)

Would love to hear more impressions of this lens, if anyone else here can share. Ordered my copy two days ago during the 40% off sale SY was having, so I'm looking forward to sharing when it arrives!

Nov 30, 2022 at 12:33 PM
newdom
• •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Pre-order: Samyang 24mm f/1.8 E-mount ($499)

It's a stunning lens, absolutely Samyang's best AF E-mount lens IMHO. A real underrated dark horse, dismissed largely because of the name I suspect (which isn't entirely undeserved it must be said).

Super sharp, great contrast/colours (without the yellowish samyang casting), very light and small. The infinity button is so cool if you're doing astro. Love this lens, absolute bargain of the century at the current sales prices.

Nov 30, 2022 at 04:41 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

PrimeTime21

p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Pre-order: Samyang 24mm f/1.8 E-mount ($499)

newdom wrote:
It's a stunning lens, absolutely Samyang's best AF E-mount lens IMHO. A real underrated dark horse, dismissed largely because of the name I suspect (which isn't entirely undeserved it must be said).

Super sharp, great contrast/colours (without the yellowish samyang casting), very light and small. The infinity button is so cool if you're doing astro. Love this lens, absolute bargain of the century at the current sales prices.

Awesome. Yeah, for $250ish brand new, I couldn't pass it up!

Nov 30, 2022 at 05:23 PM
rock0052

p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Pre-order: Samyang 24mm f/1.8 E-mount ($499)

PrimeTime21 wrote:

That's a phenomenal price, kicking myself for missing that sale

Dec 01, 2022 at 12:34 AM
-LYS-
• •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Pre-order: Samyang 24mm f/1.8 E-mount ($499)

PrimeTime21 wrote:

That price got me to pull the trigger too. Just got it and used it this morning. Haven't edited yet but so far so good :-)

Dec 03, 2022 at 04:36 PM
PrimeTime21

p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Pre-order: Samyang 24mm f/1.8 E-mount ($499)

-LYS- wrote:
That price got me to pull the trigger too. Just got it and used it this morning. Haven't edited yet but so far so good :-)

Got it my hands and got to shoot some sample videos with it, and I seem to have gotten a great copy. Canít wait to take it out to Thailand next week!

Dec 04, 2022 at 05:56 PM
catacore
• •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Pre-order: Samyang 24mm f/1.8 E-mount ($499)

Just got my copy today and I noticed, straight away, that I can hear the sound of the aperture blades as they close when taking a picture at any aperture above f/2. Is this a normal behavious for this lens? I did have this Samy 24/1.8 about a year ago then sold it, but I can't remember it having this sound...or maybe?!

Jun 15, 2023 at 10:12 AM
lensfan
• • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Pre-order: Samyang 24mm f/1.8 E-mount ($499)

The lens is likely to quickly switch to f2 for a moment for better autofocus which causes the sound (if shot below f2).

Jun 15, 2023 at 10:37 AM
catacore
• •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Pre-order: Samyang 24mm f/1.8 E-mount ($499)

Yes, exactly. I am set, say, to take a picture at f/8. The lens is open at f/2 for focusing, then "squeak" to f/8 when I half press the shutter button (for AF), take the picture, then another "squeak" to get back to the "resting position" at f/2.

This is the succesion of operations, but I was not really expecting to hear the aperture blades so loudly - hence my question. Or, maybe, what is "loud" for me is not really that loud for others...

Nevertheless, I did not found any lens' reviewer mentioning this sound, so I was just wondering....

Jun 15, 2023 at 10:52 AM
catacore
• •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Pre-order: Samyang 24mm f/1.8 E-mount ($499)

Since I have not found any mentions on the www about this noise, I was wondering if it is a normal occurence, hence nobody cares to even mention it, or it shouldn't be like this at all.

The noise clearly comes from the aperture blades opening/closing, and it needs no special attention paid to be heard. I noticed it as soon as I took my first picture with this lens.

Jun 16, 2023 at 02:47 AM
mjeffv2

p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Pre-order: Samyang 24mm f/1.8 E-mount ($499)

How long would you recommend waiting on reviews? I think it could be a very fun lens but would like others to give their decent full review, not a "I shot 15 pics and they look good" type review.

Jun 16, 2023 at 12:32 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.