Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2              4       end

Pre-order: Samyang 24mm f/1.8 E-mount ($499)

Flavourdynamic
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Pre-order: Samyang 24mm f/1.8 E-mount ($499)

kaldur wrote:
Re vs the 24 GM and 20G, Dustin's results don't quite match Marc Alhadeffs. One might wonder where the sample variation is

To avoid me having to read 6 reviews to find this disagreement, could you summarize it? Not having seen the discrepancy, and knowing that sample variation is a real thing, I know whose test methodology I think is more robust between those two people...

Aug 23, 2021 at 08:27 AM
bjornthun
• • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Pre-order: Samyang 24mm f/1.8 E-mount ($499)

kaldur wrote:
Re vs the 24 GM and 20G, Dustin's results don't quite match Marc Alhadeffs. One might wonder where the sample variation is

None of them do MTF meassurements, that lensrentals.com do.

Aug 23, 2021 at 09:44 AM
EnricoAdams

p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Pre-order: Samyang 24mm f/1.8 E-mount ($499)

To be fair, Dustin compared to 20mm 1.8 G, where Samyang was superior, and to 35mm GM (so not 24mm) where Samyang was inferior. Also, Marc Alhadeffs compared Samyang only to 24mm 1.4 GM and concluded Samyang is inferior. But if you cross-compare Marc's reviews for 20mm 1.8 G and Samyang 24mm 1.8, you can definitely see different results compared to Dustin.

I think the biggest difference I saw was between Marc's and Dustin's review of Tamron 24mm f2.8. According to Marc that lens is resolution champion, while according to Dustin is about the same as 17-28 f2.8 zoom.

Aug 23, 2021 at 10:50 AM
kaldur
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Pre-order: Samyang 24mm f/1.8 E-mount ($499)

bjornthun wrote:
None of them do MTF meassurements, that lensrentals.com do.

None of them (except lensrentals ) test several copies which is needed for anything but an anecdote. Many well made anecdotes can still make a story. In this case the anecdotes differ somewhat, which can be sample variation, testing methodology, reviewer bias, whatever. I didn't mean to state "this is the objective truth", I merely wanted to point out that there are differing anecdotes and not all of them find this lens the best thing since granola. I have no horse in the race.

Aug 23, 2021 at 11:07 AM
chrisd999
• •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Pre-order: Samyang 24mm f/1.8 E-mount ($499)

For Canadians, eh, I just ordered the SY 24mm f1.8 from Amazon Canada for C$526 (+ tax), which is around US$400 after factoring in F/X conversion rates, so about $100 savings. I have the Sony 20G too, so I'll be doing a comparison and deciding which one to keep, which might be both if the IQ is similar.

Aug 31, 2021 at 08:04 AM
davidcarpenter

p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Pre-order: Samyang 24mm f/1.8 E-mount ($499)

I just got my copy a couple of days ago and it is a killer lens for the money, much better than 28mm Sony in terms of sharpness and aberrations. AF works well, I tested its video AF at a wedding last weekend (both full frame and crop) and it did a very good job in low light. Stills low light AF is also great, eye-af works just fine, really no complaints. And it is super compact and lightweight.

I just have one question to all of you Lightroom users who happen to have this lens - which profile do you use to correct its distortion? Would Adobe profile for Samyang AF 24mm 2.8 be a good choice or do you suggest something else? Or maybe no correction at all until Adobe introduces the profile?

Sep 02, 2021 at 12:36 PM
jigesh
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Pre-order: Samyang 24mm f/1.8 E-mount ($499)

davidcarpenter wrote:
...I just have one question to all of you Lightroom users who happen to have this lens - which profile do you use to correct its distortion?....

There's some hint at time-stamp 14:00 on this video (for now, I don't correct it on mine):

Sep 02, 2021 at 02:43 PM
jjcpa

p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Pre-order: Samyang 24mm f/1.8 E-mount ($499)

I saw Amazon.ca’ s is $670 plus tax.

chrisd999 wrote:
For Canadians, eh, I just ordered the SY 24mm f1.8 from Amazon Canada for C$526 (+ tax), which is around US$400 after factoring in F/X conversion rates, so about $100 savings. I have the Sony 20G too, so I'll be doing a comparison and deciding which one to keep, which might be both if the IQ is similar.

Sep 02, 2021 at 03:30 PM
chrisd999
• •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Pre-order: Samyang 24mm f/1.8 E-mount ($499)

jjcpa wrote:
I saw Amazon.ca’ s is $670 plus tax.

I'm still seeing C$526 on amazon.ca. Sometimes there is more than one seller.

Try entering "samyang 24mm f1.8 sony" in the search bar.

Sep 02, 2021 at 07:38 PM
chrisd999
• •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Pre-order: Samyang 24mm f/1.8 E-mount ($499)

Received my Samyang 24mm f1.8 lens from Amazon yesterday. Unfortunately, it's clearly a bad copy. Very blurry across the entire frame with a ton of CA wide open. Doesn't clean up until f8. It's so bad, it has to be a bad copy, IQ looks nothing like the samples I have seen from CF and DA, as well as on Flickr. Back it goes.

Sep 02, 2021 at 07:45 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jjcpa

p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Pre-order: Samyang 24mm f/1.8 E-mount ($499)

Found it, thanks

chrisd999 wrote:
I'm still seeing C$526 on amazon.ca. Sometimes there is more than one seller.

Try entering "samyang 24mm f1.8 sony" in the search bar.

Sep 02, 2021 at 10:34 PM
hasenbein
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Pre-order: Samyang 24mm f/1.8 E-mount ($499)

davidcarpenter wrote:
I just have one question to all of you Lightroom users who happen to have this lens - which profile do you use to correct its distortion? Would Adobe profile for Samyang AF 24mm 2.8 be a good choice or do you suggest something else? Or maybe no correction at all until Adobe introduces the profile?

Er... if the image looks straight enough to you (e.g. in a landscape shot), then why correct? And if you see distortion (e.g. in an architecture shot), then you simply correct "by eye" - where is the problem? I photograph mainly with old manual lenses for the last 3 years, and they also have of course no "profile", and the instances where I have to correct for distortion are rare...

Sep 02, 2021 at 11:04 PM
EnricoAdams

p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Pre-order: Samyang 24mm f/1.8 E-mount ($499)

LensTip just published a review of this lens and it's a not good review for sure
https://www.lenstip.com/614.1-Lens_review-Samyang_AF_24_mm_f_1.8_FE_Introduction.html

Basically summary seems completely opposite compared to Dustin Abbot's review. This is definitely much more than a simple "sample variation" difference. And what's strange is the fact that LensTip highly praised all other Samyang Tiny lenses, and they were specifically disappointed because performance is worse than other Samyang 1.8 lenses. So a completely opposite conclusion to Dustin, which praised this lens as the best Samyang 1.8 lens so far.

Sep 07, 2021 at 09:47 AM
Immortal
• •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Pre-order: Samyang 24mm f/1.8 E-mount ($499)

EnricoAdams wrote:
LensTip just published a review of this lens and it's a not good review for sure
https://www.lenstip.com/614.1-Lens_review-Samyang_AF_24_mm_f_1.8_FE_Introduction.html

Basically summary seems completely opposite compared to Dustin Abbot's review. This is definitely much more than a simple "sample variation" difference. And what's strange is the fact that LensTip highly praised all other Samyang Tiny lenses, and they were specifically disappointed because performance is worse than other Samyang 1.8 lenses. So a completely opposite conclusion to Dustin, which praised this lens as the best Samyang 1.8 lens so far.

Let me put some context to this since LensTip is just an english translation of their main site which is Optyczne.pl. We talked with the author of this article in the comments and we almost all agree that he had an bad copy of the lens. We linked him some examples of our pictures with a good copy. Sadly just like QC in Samyang is still kinda random, Optyczne.pl/LensTip never retests the same lens with another copy.

In conclusion don't take their review to heart.

I also think Dustin is on the other extreme where he gets the best copy (like most YT reviewers) of the lens sent by Samyang so he almost never has any problems with their lenses while some people unlucky with QC do.

Sep 07, 2021 at 10:05 AM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Pre-order: Samyang 24mm f/1.8 E-mount ($499)

Immortal wrote:
Let me put some context to this since LensTip is just an english translation of their main site which is Optyczne.pl. We talked with the author of this article in the comments and we almost all agree that he had an bad copy of the lens. We linked him some examples of our pictures with a good copy. Sadly just like QC in Samyang is still kinda random, Optyczne.pl/LensTip never retests the same lens with another copy.

In conclusion don't take their review to heart.

I also think Dustin is on the other extreme where he gets the best copy (like most
...Show more

Thanks for this post. My life is too busy to worry about QC problems, testing multiple copies and sending lenses back. Guess I will stick to the GM lens, which could also have QC issues as well, but the probability should be lower...I hope.

Sep 07, 2021 at 11:04 AM
Charlie N
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Pre-order: Samyang 24mm f/1.8 E-mount ($499)

EnricoAdams wrote:

I really dont know how they do MTF's

one thing to note about the samyang is that IQ up close is very bad

possibly copy variation, the right side looks softer based on their sample image:

Sep 07, 2021 at 12:52 PM
EnricoAdams

p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Pre-order: Samyang 24mm f/1.8 E-mount ($499)

Yeah, this example looks really bad. Examples from Dustin tests and from SonyAlphaBlog are more in line with MTF specs.

Sep 07, 2021 at 01:10 PM
Flavourdynamic
• •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Pre-order: Samyang 24mm f/1.8 E-mount ($499)

Maybe this question is beyond the scope of this thread, but how common is it that aberration control varies with copy, in lenses generally?

Here are lenstip's and DA's LoCA tests

It's interesting to me to consider whether this is sample variation or just similarly performing lenses reacting to different tests (and what does that mean for how we judge lens reviews).

Sep 07, 2021 at 02:07 PM
NJPhotographer
• • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Pre-order: Samyang 24mm f/1.8 E-mount ($499)

Charlie N wrote:
I really dont know how they do MTF's

one thing to note about the samyang is that IQ up close is very bad

possibly copy variation, the right side looks softer based on their sample image:
https://pliki.optyczne.pl/samy24FE/sam24_fot04.jpg

That looks excellent to me. It's at f/2.

Sep 07, 2021 at 02:17 PM
Flavourdynamic
• •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Pre-order: Samyang 24mm f/1.8 E-mount ($499)

NJPhotographer wrote:
That looks excellent to me. It's at f/2.

Did you open the image in a new tab and look at 100%? Personally I don't want to exclude DOF effects from the softness in that image, but regardless of why, I really don't think the image quality on the sides is excellent.

Sep 07, 2021 at 02:59 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.