Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Pre-order: Samyang 24mm f/1.8 E-mount ($499)

Immortal
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Pre-order: Samyang 24mm f/1.8 E-mount ($499)

They had a bad copy (read above) their samples are pretty mediocre at best.

Sep 07, 2021 at 03:34 PM
Charlie N
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Pre-order: Samyang 24mm f/1.8 E-mount ($499)

NJPhotographer wrote:
That looks excellent to me. It's at f/2.

the left side is excellent, the right side, not so much, quite a bit of fall off.

the lens should be excellent wide open, at least my copy is really good, easily as good as the GM

Sep 07, 2021 at 04:25 PM
NJPhotographer
• •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Pre-order: Samyang 24mm f/1.8 E-mount ($499)

Charlie N wrote:
the left side is excellent, the right side, not so much, quite a bit of fall off.

the lens should be excellent wide open, at least my copy is really good, easily as good as the GM

I'm not sure what you're seeing. The buildings on the right side are farther away, so f/2 may show them to be slightly less in focus than then left side, which is nearer. Even so, I can easily make out the license plate on the green car on the right, and the street name on the building. The cobblestones & grass look the same on both sides, even at 200%. I'm not seeing any significant fall off on the right side. Overall, this is excellent, and even more so at this price.

Sep 07, 2021 at 05:18 PM
Flavourdynamic
• •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Pre-order: Samyang 24mm f/1.8 E-mount ($499)

NJPhotographer wrote:
I'm not sure what you're seeing. The buildings on the right side are farther away, so f/2 may show them to be slightly less in focus than then left side, which is nearer. Even so, I can easily make out the license plate on the green car on the right, and the street name on the building. The cobblestones & grass look the same on both sides, even at 200%. I'm not seeing any significant fall off on the right side. Overall, this is excellent, and even more so at this price.

Like I said, this might very well be a DOF effect and not an image I would judge a lens by, but the right side looks hazy and unsharp to me.

Sep 07, 2021 at 05:30 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

unhappymeal

p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Pre-order: Samyang 24mm f/1.8 E-mount ($499)

Immortal wrote:
Let me put some context to this since LensTip is just an english translation of their main site which is Optyczne.pl. We talked with the author of this article in the comments and we almost all agree that he had an bad copy of the lens. We linked him some examples of our pictures with a good copy. Sadly just like QC in Samyang is still kinda random, Optyczne.pl/LensTip never retests the same lens with another copy.

In conclusion don't take their review to heart.

I also think Dustin is on the other extreme where he gets the best copy (like most
...Show more

Yes, this isn't the first time Lenstip has had a curiously conclusion based on sample variation. I recall they panned the Panasonic-Leica 100-400, but other reviewers have said it's a fantastically sharp lens.

Sep 09, 2021 at 09:50 AM
mbo27

p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Pre-order: Samyang 24mm f/1.8 E-mount ($499)

I've just acquired the lens and so far, I'm impressed. I did a decentering test and I think the the top left corner is slightly blurred but (for me at least), it seems within the acceptable range since I can't see the difference unless I'm looking at 200% or more.
I have the Voigtlander 21mm already and really I'm getting the Samyang with the intent of using it for astrophotography and the few instances I need auto-focus.
Showing 3 photos below. I just used the 'auto' adjustment in LR and made sure the 'sharpen' option is off when exporting to JPG.
The astro photo is just a test outside my house to test the infinity button and it worked perfectly. The other 2 photos really show the sharpness of the lens which is just amazing. I do like also the rendering. As it stands now, it is a keeper.

ILCE-1    SAMYANG AF 24mm F1.8 lens    24mm    f/8.0    1/640s    100 ISO    -1.0 EV  

ILCE-1    SAMYANG AF 24mm F1.8 lens    24mm    f/2.8    6s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  

ILCE-1    SAMYANG AF 24mm F1.8 lens    24mm    f/1.8    1/250s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Sep 25, 2021 at 10:29 PM
esanchez
• • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Pre-order: Samyang 24mm f/1.8 E-mount ($499)

I just got this lens...WOW so sharp. I bought the 35mm 1.8 and wasn't impressed but this 24mm 1.8 is really really good.

Nov 16, 2021 at 09:07 PM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password