I just got the Viltrox 35mm F1.8 EVO ll and it basically easily beats the Voigtlander 35 F2 APO in sharpness edge to edge. The Voigtlander is sharp wide open though but stopping down offers noticeable improvement on the Evo.
Surprisingly there's also slightly less CA on the Evo.
aryanenzo wrote:
I just got the Viltrox 35mm F1.8 EVO ll and it basically easily beats the Voigtlander 35 F2 APO in sharpness edge to edge. The Voigtlander is sharp wide open though but stopping down offers noticeable improvement on the Evo.
Surprisingly there's also slightly less CA on the Evo.
Scott's review here reads: "I decided to start comparing the 35 EVO to the lens I built those film sims against (the Voigtlander 35/2 APO). Doing A/B sample tests with the Voigtlander helped me immediately identify the culprit…the overall color cast of the EVO line is yellow".
My Voigtlander and Zeiss lenses offer clean color reproduction, without any color cast, similar to that of my Nikkor lenses; this is attributable to the advanced technology that both Nikon and Cosina (the latter also thanks to its collaboration with Zeiss) have developed in the area of anti-reflective coatings. Suboptimal color reproduction—for example, skewed toward the lower frequencies of visible light—means the sensor captures incomplete information, so that’s not for me.
You aren’t wrong. The 55 EVO is similarly better than the CV 50/2 APO across the frame.
I prefer the CV bokeh and colors on both, though. The yellow color cast is only present on the 35 EVO of the two, oddly.
aryanenzo wrote:
I just got the Viltrox 35mm F1.8 EVO ll and it basically easily beats the Voigtlander 35 F2 APO in sharpness edge to edge. The Voigtlander is sharp wide open though but stopping down offers noticeable improvement on the Evo.
Surprisingly there's also slightly less CA on the Evo.
aryanenzo wrote:
I just got the Viltrox 35mm F1.8 EVO ll and it basically easily beats the Voigtlander 35 F2 APO in sharpness edge to edge. The Voigtlander is sharp wide open though but stopping down offers noticeable improvement on the Evo.
Surprisingly there's also slightly less CA on the Evo.
Sometimes, sharpness edge to edge, or sharpness that can cut open a human skull, is NOT what is really needed or wanted.