Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              6       7       end

Official: Leica APO-Summicron-SL 28mm F2 ASPH lens ($5,195)

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Official: Leica APO-Summicron-SL 28mm F2 ASPH lens ($5,195)

Official: Leica APO-Summicron-SL 28mm F2 ASPH lens ($5,195)
Leica announced the new APO-Summicron-SL 28mm F2 ASPH lens for full-frame L-mount bodies. It features 13 elements, 6 aspherical and several anomalous partial dispersion type. The new APO focuses as close as 24cm with maximum magnification of 0.2x. The autofocus drive of all APO-Summicron-SL lenses utilizes extremely robust and high-performance stepping motors with DSD® (Dual Syncro Drive™). This enables the AF to travel the entire focusing range in around 250 milliseconds.

The 28mm F2 is weather-sealed and weighs 700g. It accepts 67mm filters.

Pre-order at B&H Photo. ($5195)

Main Features:
  1. 28mm f2
  2. L mount
  3. 13 elements in 10 groups
  4. 0.24m minimum focusing
  5. 6 aspherical elements
  6. 67mm filter thread
  7. 102mm long without the lens hood
  8. 700 grams without the lens hood.

Feb 18, 2021 at 10:15 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Official: Leica APO-Summicron-SL 28mm F2 ASPH lens ($5,195)

Remember when photographers carried a couple of prime lenses because they were small?

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:03 AM
Jesse Evans
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Official: Leica APO-Summicron-SL 28mm F2 ASPH lens ($5,195)

Leica finally satisfying that segment of the market seeking medium format sized lenses in a full frame body.

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:20 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Official: Leica APO-Summicron-SL 28mm F2 ASPH lens ($5,195)

Summicron 28mm M vs Summicron 28mm L

https://j.mp/3k2YhZC

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:32 AM
traingoof
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Official: Leica APO-Summicron-SL 28mm F2 ASPH lens ($5,195)

Isn't the SL supposed to be a mirrorless system? Maybe Leica had a surplus of S parts in stock and needed to used up.

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:51 AM
joakim
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Official: Leica APO-Summicron-SL 28mm F2 ASPH lens ($5,195)

Well all Leica SL Summicron lenses are of the same size so this is no surprise and I think this is roughly the size you get with AF lenses when optical excellence is the goal wether they are built by Leica or someone else.

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:59 AM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Official: Leica APO-Summicron-SL 28mm F2 ASPH lens ($5,195)

*Diffraction MTF. 5, 10, 20, 40 lines/mm. 5 and 10 lines = contrast behavior for coarser object structures, 20 and 40 lines = resolution capability for finest object structures.

Full data/PDF sheet here:
https://us.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-SL/SL-Lenses/Prime-Lenses/APO-Summicron-SL-28

Feb 18, 2021 at 12:05 PM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Official: Leica APO-Summicron-SL 28mm F2 ASPH lens ($5,195)

Some 28mm hoopla among SL shooters on the Leica Users Forum. I understand the 28 SL has been a long time coming...

What's to come? FWIW: The below was posted on the same forum by "MediaFotografie". I don't know the original source or if this is accurate information or not. Very interesting IMO:

Feb 18, 2021 at 12:31 PM
SlowDriver
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Official: Leica APO-Summicron-SL 28mm F2 ASPH lens ($5,195)

LBJ2 wrote:
Some 28mm hoopla among SL shooters on the Leica Users Forum. I understand the 28 SL has been a long time coming...

What's to come? FWIW: The below was posted on the same forum by "MediaFotografie". I don't know the original source or if this is accurate information or not. Very interesting IMO:

The 21mm and the 24mm are no secret. They were announced together with the 28mm in 2018... If the latest rumors are true they will probably be released in 2022...

Feb 18, 2021 at 12:43 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Official: Leica APO-Summicron-SL 28mm F2 ASPH lens ($5,195)

joakim wrote:
..I think this is roughly the size you get with AF lenses when optical excellence is the goal wether they are built by Leica or someone else.

Unlike that garbage M stuff that Leica has been selling to us suckers all these years.

I just knew lenses that small couldn't be any good, no matter what the images created by them have shown.

All kidding aside, as someone else mentioned above, at this size level I'd be shooting medium format gear.

Fuji GFX100 vs Leica SL2

https://j.mp/37svQ1R

Feb 18, 2021 at 03:55 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dog rocket
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Official: Leica APO-Summicron-SL 28mm F2 ASPH lens ($5,195)

It's amazing how a brand gets slammed with anything they do. I had a Sony mirrorless with damn huge native glass (look at the GM series) and Sigma also has a boat anchor of a mirrorless lens (that I owned and sold to the tune of "she's too fat for me"). The Sony guys are lamenting how they have a gazillion 35mm choices but nobody brave enough to make a fabulous 28mm. Does anyone have any doubt this will be a fabulous 28mm?

To me, mirrorless has many other attributes going for it other than size and I dare say it's some of those other attributes that Leica is marketing to. M lenses work fabulous on the SL system, btw.
Thank goodness we have so many choices to b*tch about. lol

Feb 18, 2021 at 04:34 PM
pmeheut
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Official: Leica APO-Summicron-SL 28mm F2 ASPH lens ($5,195)

Desmolicious wrote:
Summicron 28mm M vs Summicron 28mm L

This is the reason why I have an M and a 28mm Summicron instead of an SL2...
I find the images out the SL lenses beautiful but you really have to deserve them. I regret the R6.2 + 28mm/2.8 II or even the R9. And even them feel heavy these days.

Feb 18, 2021 at 05:07 PM
SlowDriver
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Official: Leica APO-Summicron-SL 28mm F2 ASPH lens ($5,195)

pmeheut wrote:
This is the reason why I have an M and a 28mm Summicron instead of an SL2...
I find the images out the SL lenses beautiful but you really have to deserve them. I regret the R6.2 + 28mm/2.8 II or even the R9. And even them feel heavy these days.

I actually recently bought an Elmarit-R 28mm (II) for my SL.

It is excellent quality, a lot lighter than the Summicron-SL lenses, it is a fraction of the cost, and as it is a ROM lens it is perfectly recognized by the Leica SL using the R-L adapter.

Additionally I can use it on my Canon EOS R with good results as well...

And if I ever want to sell it I can probably do so without making a loss as good mechanical manual focus lenses only seem to go up in price...

Feb 18, 2021 at 05:34 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Official: Leica APO-Summicron-SL 28mm F2 ASPH lens ($5,195)

Jesse Evans wrote:
Leica finally satisfying that segment of the market seeking medium format sized lenses in a full frame body.

I know this was meant as a joke, but, if you follow Leica's marketing logic, that the SL cameras and lenses are meant to be the smaller-format, lighter alternative to the S-system, the SL-system makes more sense.

Feb 18, 2021 at 05:35 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Official: Leica APO-Summicron-SL 28mm F2 ASPH lens ($5,195)

It is really all about money. If these sell at $2000~$2500 a piece, I wouldn't mind the size and weight

I actually like the idea of having a set with the same filter size and the same lens body.

Or, these have aperture ring and real focus helicoid, I would be more interested in buying a few at asking price. Too pity that sigma get this right at less than 1K a piece but not Leica.

In the end, it is really just money either sell these cheaper or offer more value will do, at least for me.

Feb 18, 2021 at 06:00 PM
Jesse Evans
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Official: Leica APO-Summicron-SL 28mm F2 ASPH lens ($5,195)

dog rocket wrote:
It's amazing how a brand gets slammed with anything they do. I had a Sony mirrorless with damn huge native glass (look at the GM series) and Sigma also has a boat anchor of a mirrorless lens (that I owned and sold to the tune of "she's too fat for me"). The Sony guys are lamenting how they have a gazillion 35mm choices but nobody brave enough to make a fabulous 28mm. Does anyone have any doubt this will be a fabulous 28mm?

To me, mirrorless has many other attributes going for it other than size and I dare
...Show more

Sony's GM Prime lenses are consistently the lightest lenses in their segment. Their 35mm f/1.4 GM is 524g vs the Leica 35mm f/2 Summicron-SL which comes in at 750g. For 3.5x the cost you get half the light gathering, and an autofocus motor that sounds like it's chewing on gravel https://youtu.be/IMYY8oTAjDQ

I don't think that people are being unfair to Leica here. But I understand that also some people will buy this lens and be happy with it, and they do not care about its weight.

Feb 18, 2021 at 06:08 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Official: Leica APO-Summicron-SL 28mm F2 ASPH lens ($5,195)

The strengths of a range's lens standardisation are obvious. The negs include you have to like the weight/size/look/operation. When the SL series was conceived the size/weight issue was looking like a fait accompli (Sigma ART, Milvus, Otus, RF f1.2 etc.) as the industry attempted to foist their 'bigger is better' take on the unsuspecting buying public.

Everyone who can buy one deserves an SL prime in these salad days of lens design. They are the best of the best, and a mere glance at the MTF says this one is no exception. If you were to list lenses weighing more than 700 grams, it's a very long list indeed, full of many of them over one kilogram. It's a great achievement by them and hopefully Peter Karbe will do a talk about these three new wide angles.

SL/M have very different usage intents. On the money issue, the (almost ordinary by modern standards) Summicron-M 50/2 Asph retails for $8795.00. That one was released to rapturous applause just nine years ago. The SL lenses could not have been made back then.

Feb 18, 2021 at 07:14 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Official: Leica APO-Summicron-SL 28mm F2 ASPH lens ($5,195)

dog rocket wrote M lenses work fabulous on the SL system, btw.
Thank goodness we have so many choices to b*tch about. lol

Ahhhh, much better!

https://j.mp/3s7Sepq

Feb 18, 2021 at 07:14 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Official: Leica APO-Summicron-SL 28mm F2 ASPH lens ($5,195)

Would be good to see the f2.8-f4 MTF for this one. Leica are very much a 'lens wide open' maker, which will incur some losses in a wide angle used in a traditional fashion, stopped down even moderately. So far, Cosina is delivering virtually the same image quality in the 35/50mm APO-Lanthars at f2 and f4 (Sony).

This is the other half of the reason for the SL 28/2 performance:

"eight elements manufactured from specially formulated, high-quality glass types ensure chromatic correction throughout the entire focusing range. Only the particular optical property of these glass types, known as anomalous partial dispersion, makes it possible to compensate for chromatic aberrations with such perfection." (from Leica)

They ought to dispense with the 5 lpmm, too much red ink!

Feb 18, 2021 at 07:40 PM
Alpha_Geist
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Official: Leica APO-Summicron-SL 28mm F2 ASPH lens ($5,195)

philip_pj wrote:
Would be good to see the f2.8-f4 MTF for this one. Leica are very much a 'lens wide open' maker, which will incur some losses in a wide angle used in a traditional fashion, stopped down even moderately. So far, Cosina is delivering virtually the same image quality in the 35/50mm APO-Lanthars at f2 and f4 (Sony).

This is the other half of the reason for the SL 28/2 performance:

"eight elements manufactured from specially formulated, high-quality glass types ensure chromatic correction throughout the entire focusing range. Only the particular optical property of these glass types, known as anomalous partial dispersion,
...Show more

Would really love to see Voigtlander make some L-mount MF glass (that would also pass FL information for IBIS)...

I would love their 50/2 APO in L-mount! Sure, I could pick up the M mount version and adapt it, but to have a native mount version that would fit more naturally in hand would be quite swell!

Feb 18, 2021 at 09:28 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password