Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              9              11       end
  

Archive 2020 · Pre-order: Samyang 35mm f/1.8 AF ($399)

  
 
trogdon
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.10 #1 · p.10 #1 · Pre-order: Samyang 35mm f/1.8 AF ($399)


Jonathan F wrote:
Rokinon just posted their Black Friday specials. You can get the Rokinon/Samyang 35mm f/1.8 FE w/USB dock 10% off using coupon code TENOFF. Coupon code also applies to other Rokinon/Samyang lenses. Also they won't charge sales tax depending on your state.

https://buyrokinon.com/pages/black-friday-deals


Thanks for this! Was able to order the lens with the dock for $360 shipped. That's a pretty large discount over the Sony version. Hopefully the lens works out, I'd love to trade my sigma 35mm 1.4 for something more compact.



Nov 20, 2020 at 09:31 AM
Jonathan F
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.10 #2 · p.10 #2 · Pre-order: Samyang 35mm f/1.8 AF ($399)


trogdon wrote:
Thanks for this! Was able to order the lens with the dock for $360 shipped. That's a pretty large discount over the Sony version. Hopefully the lens works out, I'd love to trade my sigma 35mm 1.4 for something more compact.


I ordered the same package. I already have the dock, so I'll probably sell off the new one when I receive it. I'm also planning to consolidate, my SY 35mm 1.4 doesn't get much use due to it's size. I have the SY 85mm 1.4 which is also big, but the 35mm doesn't balance well for me.



Nov 20, 2020 at 12:31 PM
BruceRH
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.10 #3 · p.10 #3 · Pre-order: Samyang 35mm f/1.8 AF ($399)


Jonathan F wrote:
Rokinon just posted their Black Friday specials. You can get the Rokinon/Samyang 35mm f/1.8 FE w/USB dock 10% off using coupon code TENOFF. Coupon code also applies to other Rokinon/Samyang lenses. Also they won't charge sales tax depending on your state.

https://buyrokinon.com/pages/black-friday-deals


Thanks for the information! I just bought the 75/1.8 and 35/1.8 with the dock for a total of $678, free shipping and no tax. Not a bad deal for 2 primes! There are codes for more off the more you spend. Since these 2 lenses came in a bit over $750 I used the $100 off code which was better than the 10% off code.



Nov 20, 2020 at 03:11 PM
Jonathan F
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.10 #4 · p.10 #4 · Pre-order: Samyang 35mm f/1.8 AF ($399)


BruceRH wrote:
Thanks for the information! I just bought the 75/1.8 and 35/1.8 with the dock for a total of $678, free shipping and no tax. Not a bad deal for 2 primes! There are codes for more off the more you spend. Since these 2 lenses came in a bit over $750 I used the $100 off code which was better than the 10% off code.


These are pretty good deals for Rok/Sam lenses! Also it's a great way to get the USB dock thrown in as well. I'm super tempted by the 75mm, but I really like the Sam 85mm 1.4! Everything I shoot with that lens looks like butter!



Nov 20, 2020 at 04:14 PM
nehemiahphoto
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.10 #5 · p.10 #5 · Pre-order: Samyang 35mm f/1.8 AF ($399)


For those curious, astro performance in real world usage for stars is quite good though not perfect. Vignetting seems high, there's some longitudinal CA, but I wouldn't hesitate to use it wide open. These crops are on 42mp sensor at f1.8. Very slight bat wings on big stars in the extreme corners upon close inspection, but quite clean overall.

Much better than the FE 35 1.8. See the full res photo here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/68886880@N07/50643882541/in/dateposted-public/

Nice work Samyang












Nov 25, 2020 at 12:34 AM
gbinoz
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.10 #6 · p.10 #6 · Pre-order: Samyang 35mm f/1.8 AF ($399)


As you say vignetting seems really high.
Are those corners really usable noise wise if you try to reverse the vignette?



Nov 25, 2020 at 03:23 AM
DFason
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.10 #7 · p.10 #7 · Pre-order: Samyang 35mm f/1.8 AF ($399)


Thanks for the heads up on the sale. I picked up the 35 and a lens station for $364.... Incredible!
-Dave



Nov 25, 2020 at 06:52 PM
QuietOC
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.10 #8 · p.10 #8 · Pre-order: Samyang 35mm f/1.8 AF ($399)


nehemiahphoto wrote:
For those curious, astro performance in real world usage for stars is quite good though not perfect. Vignetting seems high, there's some longitudinal CA, but I wouldn't hesitate to use it wide open...


Thank you. My copy arrived today. I ran some test charts, and it seems quite good. I did suspect that it wouldn't be quite as good as the Tamron 35/1.8 and 35/2.8 for night sky. And now I won't feel compelled to test that suspicion.

I will add that it has less vignetting than any of the 35mm F2.8 and F2 primes I have but more than the much larger Tamron 35mm F1.8.



Nov 25, 2020 at 07:43 PM
nehemiahphoto
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.10 #9 · p.10 #9 · Pre-order: Samyang 35mm f/1.8 AF ($399)


gbinoz wrote:
As you say vignetting seems really high.
Are those corners really usable noise wise if you try to reverse the vignette?


I guess it depends on your ISO and if/how much vignetting you prefer and what usable is to you. You'll get more noise for sure, if you trying to push the image hard, but I don't think vignetting is much heavier/worse than the FE 35 1.8, so I would use that as a guide if that helps.



Nov 26, 2020 at 01:44 AM
rainio
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.10 #10 · p.10 #10 · Pre-order: Samyang 35mm f/1.8 AF ($399)


Had low expectations of this lens, and received one last week and based on the corners (and reports of IQ) thought it was damaged or just a bad copy.

https://i.imgur.com/VDXrpBL.png

Received the replacement yesterday.

https://i.imgur.com/uTD3nZ1.jpeg

My conclusion is that they have poor QC, unsurprising with a lens this cheap.

I was looking for a modestly sharp, balanced lens.

Took a few test shots, and the left frame was significantly sharper than the right frame, as though the plane was tilted.

Returning it and will wait for the sigma 35mm f2 and then decide which way to go.

Also, when you do the corner test, how do you flip the camera for the second part and ensure you haven't tilted it etc? Is here a video on the technique?



Nov 26, 2020 at 03:17 AM
j4nu
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.10 #11 · p.10 #11 · Pre-order: Samyang 35mm f/1.8 AF ($399)


rainio wrote:
Had low expectations of this lens, and received one last week and based on the corners (and reports of IQ) thought it was damaged or just a bad copy.

Received the replacement yesterday.

My conclusion is that they have poor QC, unsurprising with a lens this cheap.

I was looking for a modestly sharp, balanced lens.

Took a few test shots, and the left frame was significantly sharper than the right frame, as though the plane was tilted.

Returning it and will wait for the sigma 35mm f2 and then decide which way to go.

Also, when you do the corner test, how do
...Show more

Your experience matches mine ufortunately regarding this lens. My upper right corner never sharpened up, even when focusing on it so something was seriously wrong. However. it is possible to get a good Samyang lens in general, I used to have a great copy of SY85 ... It's also possible that it's your camera mount, if it's always the same corner that is worse...
Regarding flipping the camera, I think the idea is that you focus on a target so far away that minor movements of the camera do not affect the image significantly...



Nov 26, 2020 at 04:28 AM
Jonathan F
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.10 #12 · p.10 #12 · Pre-order: Samyang 35mm f/1.8 AF ($399)


Did anyone notice the extensive adjustments given to the Sam 35mm f/1.8 FE using the USB dock station? My copy I received seems pretty good out-of-box, but it'd be interesting if some issues people were having can be adjusted with additional fine-tuning options.




Nov 28, 2020 at 01:45 PM
dgcom
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.10 #13 · p.10 #13 · Pre-order: Samyang 35mm f/1.8 AF ($399)


Jonathan F wrote:
Did anyone notice the extensive adjustments given to the Sam 35mm f/1.8 FE using the USB dock station?


Did you find any details on what each of these four adjustments mean?
This is the same for 1.8/75 but it doesn't need any adjustment, my new 1.8/35 however might need some fine-tuning...



Nov 28, 2020 at 09:17 PM
Jonathan F
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.10 #14 · p.10 #14 · Pre-order: Samyang 35mm f/1.8 AF ($399)


dgcom wrote:
Did you find any details on what each of these four adjustments mean?
This is the same for 1.8/75 but it doesn't need any adjustment, my new 1.8/35 however might need some fine-tuning...


Click on the box labelled User Manual. They have some instructions on what each setting does for these newer micro-adjustments. Unfortunately they're only available on certain lenses. For example my Samyang 18mm f2.8 lens doesn't have these options. I'm surprised none of the reviews on the lens even touched base on this subject.



Nov 28, 2020 at 09:54 PM
NJPhotographer
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.10 #15 · p.10 #15 · Pre-order: Samyang 35mm f/1.8 AF ($399)


dgcom wrote:
Did you find any details on what each of these four adjustments mean?
This is the same for 1.8/75 but it doesn't need any adjustment, my new 1.8/35 however might need some fine-tuning...


Just a guess:
MOD = at minimum object distance
X20 = at 20X the focal length (e.g. for 35mm lens = 700mm)
X40 = at 40X the focal length
INF = at infinity



Nov 28, 2020 at 10:06 PM
Jonathan F
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.10 #16 · p.10 #16 · Pre-order: Samyang 35mm f/1.8 AF ($399)


I received my lens yesterday! A few things to note, is that the lens is quite contrasty. Flare control seems to be Samyang's design weakness despite some newer optical improvements. The lens AF is snappy and accurate on my A9. Eye and Animal AF are spot on. The lens is lightweight and better balanced than the Sam 35mm f/1.4 FE. Shooting the lens wide open, it seems to nail focus consistently with no problem. Also build quality isn't a problem for me, since I neoprene wrap all my lenses.

Close focus isn't as sharp, but not as bad as some of the reviewers make it out to be. As noted above, Samyang has provided some newer micro adjustments with this lens, which hasn't been mentioned anywhere! I think there's potential to tune the Sam 35mm f/1.8 for certain shooting scenarios, while Samyang ships the lens with base settings optimized for general shooting.

A couple recent samples with the Sam/Rok 35mm f/1.8 FE + the A9. Everything was shot wide open, I was too lazy to change aperture!


Sample photos with the Samyang Rokinon 35mm f/1.8 FE Lens - Los Angeles, California USA by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr


Sample photos with the Samyang Rokinon 35mm f/1.8 FE Lens - Los Angeles, California USA by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr


Sample photos with the Samyang Rokinon 35mm f/1.8 FE Lens - Los Angeles, California USA by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr


Sample photos with the Samyang Rokinon 35mm f/1.8 FE Lens - Los Angeles, California USA by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr


Sample photos with the Samyang Rokinon 35mm f/1.8 FE Lens - Los Angeles, California USA by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr


Sample photos with the Samyang Rokinon 35mm f/1.8 FE Lens - Los Angeles, California USA by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr


Sample photos with the Samyang Rokinon 35mm f/1.8 FE Lens - Los Angeles, California USA by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr



Nov 28, 2020 at 10:18 PM
dgcom
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.10 #17 · p.10 #17 · Pre-order: Samyang 35mm f/1.8 AF ($399)


Jonathan F wrote:
Click on the box labelled User Manual. They have some instructions on what each setting does for these newer micro-adjustments. Unfortunately they're only available on certain lenses. For example my Samyang 18mm f2.8 lens doesn't have these options. I'm surprised none of the reviews on the lens even touched base on this subject.


The manual is the same for all models and it doesn't specify any details about various AF adjustments...

---------------------------------------------

NJPhotographer wrote:
Just a guess:
MOD = at minimum object distance
X20 = at 20X the focal length (e.g. for 35mm lens = 700mm)
X40 = at 40X the focal length
INF = at infinity


Thank you, this sounds very plausible.
I might still email their tech support and ask...



Nov 28, 2020 at 11:22 PM
nekrosoft13
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.10 #18 · p.10 #18 · Pre-order: Samyang 35mm f/1.8 AF ($399)


this? or the sony 35 1.8? what better?


Nov 28, 2020 at 11:33 PM
Jonathan F
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.10 #19 · p.10 #19 · Pre-order: Samyang 35mm f/1.8 AF ($399)


nekrosoft13 wrote:
this? or the sony 35 1.8? what better?


I'd only get the Samyang if budget is a concern and you're interested in buying other Samyang lenses, because I think it's almost necessary to get the USB dock with these lenses.



Nov 29, 2020 at 02:03 AM
Jonathan F
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.10 #20 · p.10 #20 · Pre-order: Samyang 35mm f/1.8 AF ($399)


One thing I notice with this lens is that it gets weird purple flare when shot into the sun. I don't remember the Sony 28mm f/2 or the Samyang 35 f/1.4 having issues like this. The Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art handles flare very well and even the old Nikon 35mm f/2 AF-D was fine when shooting into the sun. This is a bit of a turn off for me, which somewhat puts me on the fence now if I should keep it.


Sample photos with the Samyang Rokinon 35mm f/1.8 FE Lens - LA Historic State Park Los Angeles, California USA by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

Also purple fringing pops up everywhere. In this shot I was able to correct it, but I'm not sure it's possible for every scenario.


Sample photos with the Samyang Rokinon 35mm f/1.8 FE Lens - LA Historic State Park Los Angeles, California USA by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr



Nov 29, 2020 at 11:53 PM
1       2       3              9              11       end




FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              9              11       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password



This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.