New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5              13       14       end

Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G Versus Other Lenses

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G Versus Other Lenses

Sorry for the delay on the 20/1.8G vs 24/1.4GM comparison. The weather has not been cooperating but it will be posted today.

Mar 20, 2020 at 12:10 PM
djursik

Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G Versus Other Lenses

Hey guys, thank you for this thread and mostly for the sony/loxia comparison.

I am now in the process of selling my Zeiss 16-35 Vario Tessar for its poor job in situations where the sun enters the lens. There are flares everywhere and I thought going to prime lens would significantly improve this.

I was going to grab the Loxia 21mm until I found out about the new Sony 20mm. I really loved the idea of Sony as it is cheaper, smaller, lighter and faster than Loxia. But seeing the images of Sony with flares all over the picture makes me cry.

My main purpose for this wide angle lens would be landscape photography. Can you give an advice?

Thanks.

Mar 20, 2020 at 01:46 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G Versus Other Lenses

Sony FE 20/1.8 G vs. Sony FE 24/1.4 GM

Center resolution comparison between Sony 20mm f/1.8 G vs Sony FE 24/1.4 GM:

Center at f/1.8: Even wide open, the FE 20/1.8 G performs better than the GM being able to capture finer detail.

Center at f/2.8: Both lenses improve but the Sony 20/1.8 G is still slightly ahead

Center at f/4: Both improve slightly and I'd say they are similar now

Center at f/5.6: Similar to f/4, perhaps with a little less micro-contrast for both

Center at f/8: Both diffract and perform similarly

Mar 20, 2020 at 01:55 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G Versus Other Lenses

Mid-field resolution comparison between Sony 20mm f/1.8 G vs Sony FE 24/1.4 GM:

Mid-field at f/1.8: Even wide open, the FE 20/2.8 performs better

Mid-field at f/2.8: Both improve but the 20/1.8G is capable of capturing finer detail

Mid-field at f/4: Both improve but the Sony G is still slightly ahead in terms of resolution

Mid-field at f/5.6: The lens perform more similarly now but the 20/1.8 is still better

Mid-field at f/8: Similar results to f/5.6

Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G Versus Other Lenses

Extreme corner resolution comparison between Sony 20mm f/1.8 G vs Sony FE 24/1.4 GM:

Extreme corner at f/1.8: Vignetting is high for the 20/1.8 G and the 24/1.4 GM performs slightly better in resolution and contrast

Extreme corner at f/2.8: Big improvement for the 20/1.8G which pretty much matches the GM

Extreme corners at f/4: The FE 20/1.8 G jumped ahead and it's noticeably better now. It's incredible but the 20/1.8 performs just as good as the Loxia 21 now.

Extreme corner at f/5.6: The Sony 20/1.8 G improves further and it's still better than the GM

Extreme corner at f/8: Similar to f/5.6 for both lenses

tsdevine
• • • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G Versus Other Lenses

The Loxia is slightly smaller but slightly heavier. There isn't an order of magnitude difference.

-Tim

djursik wrote:
Hey guys, thank you for this thread and mostly for the sony/loxia comparison.

I am now in the process of selling my Zeiss 16-35 Vario Tessar for its poor job in situations where the sun enters the lens. There are flares everywhere and I thought going to prime lens would significantly improve this.

I was going to grab the Loxia 21mm until I found out about the new Sony 20mm. I really loved the idea of Sony as it is cheaper, smaller, lighter and faster than Loxia. But seeing the images of Sony with flares all over the picture makes me cry.

My
...Show more

Mar 20, 2020 at 02:02 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G Versus Other Lenses

Very interesting results when comparing the FE 20/1.8 G to the FE 24/1.4 GM.

For the price difference, I was expecting the GM to perform better at infinity distance but it's not the case, especially at wider apertures.

From testing the FE 24/1.4 GM's corners + mid-field against other lenses, I knew that astigmatism was an issue but starting at f/2.8, this wasn't an issue for the FE 20/1.8 G,. At f/4 and smaller apertures, it performed noticeably better than the GM across the entire image field.

As a matter of fact, at f/4 and smaller apertures, there 20/1.8's performs at Loxia 21/2.8 level in regards to resolution and contrast but without any field curvature and with better CA correction.

The Sigma 14-24/2.8 competed neck and neck with the Sony 20/1.8 G with perhaps only slight better corners at f/5.6 but it could not keep up with the amazing FE 20/1.8 center resolution at larger apertures.

I highly recommend the FE 20/1.8 G prime!

Mar 20, 2020 at 02:22 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G Versus Other Lenses

One point always in favor of Loxia lenses (for me) is the manual focus is always predictable in incremental control and buttery smoothness. This is why I have a lot of redundancy in my collection of the same focal lengths in both AF and MF primes.

Loxia 21 is still my go-to in this focal length, but I might have to consider the Sony 20/1.8G eventually -- it sure looks great in these comparisons.

Thanks Fred!

Mar 20, 2020 at 02:34 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G Versus Other Lenses

Gunzorro wrote:
One point always in favor of Loxia lenses (for me) is the manual focus is always predictable in incremental control and buttery smoothness. This is why I have a lot of redundancy in my collection of the same focal lengths in both AF and MF primes.

Loxia 21 is still my go-to in this focal length, but I might have to consider the Sony 20/1.8G eventually -- it sure looks great in these comparisons.

Thanks Fred!

Good point.
I still prefer the helicoid mechanical focus from the Loxia and Voigtlander lines but focus-by-wire came a long way and the FE 20/1.8 manual focus is linear, well-damped and feels almost like the real thing.

Mar 20, 2020 at 02:47 PM
nhsonyshooter
• • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G Versus Other Lenses

Fred Miranda wrote:
Very interesting results when comparing the FE 20/1.8 G to the FE 24/1.4 GM.

For the price difference, I was expecting the GM to perform better at infinity distance but it's not the case, especially at wider apertures.

From testing the FE 24/1.4 GM's corners + mid-field to other lenses, I knew that astigmatism was an issue but this wasn't an issue for the FE 20/1.8 G, especially starting at f/4, performing noticeably better than the GM across the entire image field.

As a matter of fact, at f/4 and smaller apertures, FE 20/1.8's performs at Loxia 21/2.8 level in regards to
...Show more

Thanks Fred! Great news especially since I sold the 24 and bought the 20. Unfortunately it is crappy weather here in NH and can't get out to test it out for myself. Suppose to be a nice weekend though

Mar 20, 2020 at 03:37 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Editorrr
• •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G Versus Other Lenses

Thanks Fred!

Mar 20, 2020 at 03:51 PM
vdo1
• • • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G Versus Other Lenses

In the "extreme corner at f/8 G vs GM" I still see a difference in clarity, plus the G produces way less purple fringing on the white chimney.

Mar 20, 2020 at 08:09 PM
tsdevine
• • • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G Versus Other Lenses

My Batis 25 is better than my GM 24 in the corners. But the GM is better just about everywhere else.

vdo1 wrote:
In the "extreme corner at f/8 G vs GM" I still see a difference in clarity, plus the G produces way less purple fringing on the white chimney.

Mar 20, 2020 at 08:27 PM
swldstn
• • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G Versus Other Lenses

Fred,

Really appreciate all the comparisons you've done. Hopefully there will be good weather hear in Maine so I can get out and use it. So far I've been happy with my new FE 20mm f/18 even though I have the Loxia 21/2.8 and the Batis 18/2.8. Do I need them all, of course not. That doesn't mean I won't keep them all if I can. We will see.

Mar 20, 2020 at 08:34 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G Versus Other Lenses

Iím still hoping to see more comparisons with the flare/ghosting. I donít recall my Loxia 21 or Batis 18 being nearly this ghosts-prone, especially when sun is just outside the center. Hereís another from today in a typical usage landscape photo for me. And yes, my sensor is nasty...

Anyway, I just thought others might like to know this even this. Thanks for the testing Fred 👍🏻

Mar 20, 2020 at 09:52 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G Versus Other Lenses

nehemiahphoto wrote:
Iím still hoping to see more comparisons with the flare/ghosting. I donít recall my Loxia 21 or Batis 18 being nearly this ghosts-prone, especially when sun is just outside the center. Hereís another from today in a typical usage landscape photo for me. And yes, my sensor is nasty...

Anyway, I just thought others might like to know this even this. Thanks for the testing Fred 👍🏻

Maybe the gritty dust all over your sensor is partly to blame?

Mar 21, 2020 at 12:15 AM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G Versus Other Lenses

Gunzorro wrote:

I donít think soóthe two photos on the previous page donít show dust but lots of ghosting. The sensor isnít scratched or anything, just dirty. And I have other lenses that perform with superlative flare resistance on this same camera, like my CV 35 1.7

Mar 21, 2020 at 12:35 AM
Tristan.W
• •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G Versus Other Lenses

Thanks Fred!
looks like Sigma 1424 ART is really nice lens if lucky with a centered copy!

Mar 21, 2020 at 01:16 AM
nhsonyshooter
• • • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G Versus Other Lenses

Gunzorro wrote:

My OCD kicks in just looking at that image

Mar 21, 2020 at 05:45 AM
smpetty
• • • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G Versus Other Lenses

Gunzorro wrote:

I thought it was an end-of-times locust storm!

Mar 21, 2020 at 08:10 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.