New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2020 · Sony RMT-P1BT Remote Third-Party Focus Adjust Compatibility List

jeetsukumaran
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sony RMT-P1BT Remote Third-Party Focus Adjust Compatibility List

The Sony RMT-P1B allows you to rack the focus point forward or back without touching the lens or camera. This feature immensely useful for focus stacking in the field, as it allows you to take focus stacks with less muss and fuss than having to physically and manually adjust the focus.

To set up the system to work this way, you have to set the lens AF/MF switch to "AF" and the camera focus mode to "MF". Then to capture a focus stack:

1. Manually set focus to the closest distance you want to be in focus by physically turning the focus ring.
  2. Take an exposure (or several, if exposure as well as focus bracketing).
  3. Then press the "+" key 1-3 times to advance focus a bit to the next focal plane
  4. Take another exposure (or several).
  5. Repeat above two steps until you get the focus slices you want (e.g., up to infinity, inclusive).

Very useful in macro as well as landscape photography!

As can be imagined, in works seamlessly and perfectly with OEM Sony FE lenses. Third-party lenses on the other hand, are a little less even. The purpose of this thread is to collect user findings regarding lens compatibility with this feature.

Lenses That Can Have Their Focus Adjusted

1. Sigma 14-24 f/2.8 DG DN: Works!!

Update 2020-11-01: It Just Works. No muss, no muss, just like a native Sony lens.

This is different from what I previously found, where it worked, but in a weird way:

I struggled with this for a while, even speaking to a Sigma engineer who could not get it to work on his end. But then I finally figured out that pressing "AF-ON" after every press of "+" or "-" did get things to work. And then I discovered that focus was actually advancing, but did not register till the shutter was triggered or AF-ON was pressed. Note that the camera needs to be set up in MF focusing mode even though the lens AF/MF switch is the AF position, so AF-On does not actually do anything. Weirdness on top of weirdness
    ...Show more

2. Batis: works, as tested by a Batis 135mm.

Lenses That CANNOT Have Their Focus Adjusted

1. Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8 using the Sigma MC-11 adapter: focus cannot be adjusted remotely.

Edited on Dec 28, 2020 at 07:13 AM · View previous versions

Feb 17, 2020 at 08:26 PM
jeetsukumaran
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sony RMT-P1BT Remote Third-Party Focus Adjust Compatibility List

Reserved

Feb 17, 2020 at 08:26 PM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sony RMT-P1BT Remote Third-Party Focus Adjust Compatibility List

Thanks for posting this. I wonder if you (or anyone else) might have the chance to test a Batis lens?

Mike

Feb 18, 2020 at 08:36 AM
jeetsukumaran
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sony RMT-P1BT Remote Third-Party Focus Adjust Compatibility List

mcbroomf wrote:
Thanks for posting this. I wonder if you (or anyone else) might have the chance to test a Batis lens?

Mike

That would be great to know. I recall someone on these forums indicating that it does work, but need to find the post. Hopefully we get some first-person reports.

Feb 19, 2020 at 04:07 PM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sony RMT-P1BT Remote Third-Party Focus Adjust Compatibility List

jeetsukumaran wrote:
That would be great to know. I recall someone on these forums indicating that it does work, but need to find the post. Hopefully we get some first-person reports.

Here it is .. tested on the 135mm
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1605740/0#14920987

Feb 19, 2020 at 04:13 PM
jeetsukumaran
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sony RMT-P1BT Remote Third-Party Focus Adjust Compatibility List

mcbroomf wrote:
Here it is .. tested on the 135mm
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1605740/0#14920987

Huh! Forgot about that other thread's existence entirely. I guess these threads should be merged or one or the other deleted?

In any case, thank you for finding it. I will update the first post with the info.

Feb 19, 2020 at 04:19 PM
CPWarner
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sony RMT-P1BT Remote Third-Party Focus Adjust Compatibility List

This is super helpful! This method is really useful with a Sony 90mm macro. Strange how one needs to set the lens to AF and camera body to MF. However, with the Sony RMT-P1BT set to focus mode, I could hold the + or - buttons and watch the focus shift. Don’t know how I missed this feature, but it now makes focus stacking in the field way more simple.

Dec 27, 2020 at 02:46 PM
vdo1
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sony RMT-P1BT Remote Third-Party Focus Adjust Compatibility List

Sigma 105mm DG DN macro: works - if you leave the switch located on the lens in AF position and set MF mode in the camera. No need to press AF-On like with the 12-24, it just works.

Dec 27, 2020 at 04:48 PM
bobby350z
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sony RMT-P1BT Remote Third-Party Focus Adjust Compatibility List

I had to buy that remote as I couldn't control focussing from CaptureOne like I could with my Fuji. Personally I think Sony should implement proper focus stacking into their cameras. But in the mean time, what you suggest should work.

Dec 27, 2020 at 05:00 PM
Jay Ford
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sony RMT-P1BT Remote Third-Party Focus Adjust Compatibility List

CPWarner wrote:
Strange how one needs to set the lens to AF and camera body to MF. .

This rules out any third-party lens without the AF switch completely, like most Samyangs.

Dec 28, 2020 at 10:14 AM
bjornthun
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sony RMT-P1BT Remote Third-Party Focus Adjust Compatibility List

Jay Ford wrote:
This rules out any third-party lens without the AF switch completely, like most Samyangs.

The Zeiss Batis lenses do not have an AF/MF switch, and the Batis 135/2.8 is reported to work in this thread. I guess that a lens without a physical AF/MF switch could be considered the same as a lens with a physical AF/MF switch always set to AF.

Dec 28, 2020 at 10:55 AM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sony RMT-P1BT Remote Third-Party Focus Adjust Compatibility List

I order the JJC version of the remote. I have 135 and 40 Batis lenses and will test them when it arrives next week (slow delivery).

Dec 28, 2020 at 11:06 AM
MikeEvangelist
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sony RMT-P1BT Remote Third-Party Focus Adjust Compatibility List

mcbroomf wrote:
I order the JJC version of the remote. I have 135 and 40 Batis lenses and will test them when it arrives next week (slow delivery).

My JJC remote arrived today.

It is smaller and lighter than the Sony, and doesn't feel quite as sturdy, but it looks and works fine.

PS

I can confirm that the focus feature works with the Batis 135mm.

JJC & Sony bluetooth remotes

Dec 28, 2020 at 08:04 PM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sony RMT-P1BT Remote Third-Party Focus Adjust Compatibility List

Sweet, thanks Mike. I will probably get a 2nd so that I can pair one with my backup R3

Dec 29, 2020 at 06:02 AM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sony RMT-P1BT Remote Third-Party Focus Adjust Compatibility List

I got the JJ version of the remote and it's not turning out to be very reliable. I wonder if anyone else who has one can comment. Also interested in the reliability of the Sony version.

Mine paired easily enough to an A7R4 1st time, but only when I moved the slider from Still to Video (which the instructions don't mention). After pairing I moved it to Still for focus stacking and using as a remote.
I played with it and it seemed to work OK on a 40mm Batis
The following day outside trying to use it (for focus stacking), it had lost connection to the camera and I could not re-pair it. I had not turned BT off and there is no on/off on the remote.
When I got back home I could still not get it to pair again. I put in a new battery, still no joy. I also tried pairing it to an A7R3, no luck. I put the old battery back in in prep to send it back and I was able to get it paired to the R4.
Following day it was still connected and worked OK.
The day after that it lost connection again and would not pair, again until I pulled the battery and reinserted it.

This one is definitely going back but I wonder if I should get a new one, assuming this is defective, or switch to the Sony. Any other experiences of either remotes?

Thanks

Mike

Jan 03, 2021 at 12:08 PM
MikeEvangelist
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sony RMT-P1BT Remote Third-Party Focus Adjust Compatibility List

mcbroomf wrote:
I had not turned BT off and there is no on/off on the remote.

Mine's been OK so far.

I believe the Lock switch on the side functions as an ON-OFF switch, btw.

Jan 03, 2021 at 02:48 PM
sbay
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sony RMT-P1BT Remote Third-Party Focus Adjust Compatibility List

mcbroomf wrote:
This one is definitely going back but I wonder if I should get a new one, assuming this is defective, or switch to the Sony. Any other experiences of either remotes?

I get occasional disconnects with the sony BT remote and my R4. Every once in a while it stops responding, the red light flashes rapidly and I have to try to recycle/restart my camera.

I never had this issue with the IR remotes, but I would always lose those or the battery would die.

Jan 03, 2021 at 07:18 PM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sony RMT-P1BT Remote Third-Party Focus Adjust Compatibility List

Thanks for the responses. I think I'll try another JJ. Hopefully I just got a defective one.

Jan 04, 2021 at 04:56 AM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sony RMT-P1BT Remote Third-Party Focus Adjust Compatibility List

2nd JJ remote arrived and paired OK. Also still OK overnight. 1st time outside however (slightly below freezing) the focus button locked and drove the focus from near to far after a few presses. This happened several times although stopped eventually. Decided to return it and get the Sony version. Also bought a different 3rd party to try.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08DHS7WX7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Both paired OK, will be testing outside later this week.

Jan 20, 2021 at 06:32 AM
jrtriebe

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sony RMT-P1BT Remote Third-Party Focus Adjust Compatibility List

Interesting. I first had the Sony version and it failed. Replaced it with the JJC version and it works fine.

Jan 20, 2021 at 09:41 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.