Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              5       6       end

Archive 2019 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

ChrisMak
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

I recently got an EOS-R for use with the 400DOII+2.0ex.
Right out of the box, and after installing the latest frirmware 1.6, I noticed a jerking or jumping viewfinder behavior with IS mode 1 that I use by default. On the EOS-R, IS is active all the time, instead of only when half-pressing the shutter, which is the case with Canon dslr's.
When I look through the viewfinder, it is simply close to impossible to position the small AF square over a subject and keep it there, because the af square makes small jumps up/down, or to the left at intervals of around 1-2 sec.
It does this repeatedly, and sometimes there are more prounced, larger jolts to the left, which are audible in the lens IS unit in a silent environment.

I suspected a defective lens IS unit, which would be strange, as I bought the lens new 8 months ago, but when mounting the lens on either the 7DII, or the Sony A7RII (+mc-11), this strange behavior is totally gone, and the viewfinder image is stable and constant, also when keeping IS active constantly by half pressing the shutter button. I simply cannot reproduce it on either of these bodies in any way.
Putting the lens back on the EOS-R, and there are the jumps again.

A strange further complication is as follows: turning off the EOS-R, switching the lens IS unit from mode 1 to mode 3, turning back on the EOS-R, and then switching the lens IS unit from mode 3 to mode 1, and the IS works flawlessly as long as the camera is powered on. Power off the camera with the lens IS set to mode 1, and turning it back on, and the jumping viewfinder is back.

Is this one of these "give you a big headache" things? Or does anyone have a possible explanation for this strange behavior? And is there a possible solution in factory reset or firmware re-installment? I did a full erase of user settings, and it was temprarily gone, but re-appeared after a few times turning the camera off and on.

Canon's response was: buy a RF lens! We cannot guarantee operation of EF lenses via adapter. Right.... but that is not what their USA website states:

Compatible with EF/EF-S Lenses*

Whether you're purchasing your first EOS camera or your fifth, the EOS R camera is designed to integrate smoothly into existing EOS systems. Engineered to work seamlessly with RF lenses, it maintains complete compatibility with EF and EF-S lenses by using one of three optional Mount Adapters. When using EF-S lenses, the EOS R even crops automatically to reflect the APS-C sized sensor the lenses are designed for.

* Optional Mount Adapter EF-EOS R is required when using EF/EF-S lenses with an EOS R camera.

Dec 18, 2019 at 01:02 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

ChrisMak wrote:
I recently got an EOS-R for use with the 400DOII+2.0ex.
Right out of the box, and after installing the latest frirmware 1.6, I noticed a jerking or jumping viewfinder behavior with IS mode 1 that I use by default. On the EOS-R, IS is active all the time, instead of only when half-pressing the shutter, which is the case with Canon dslr's.
When I look through the viewfinder, it is simply close to impossible to position the small AF square over a subject and keep it there, because the af square makes small jumps up/down, or to the left at intervals
...Show more

Ask them where to buy the RF 400DO or else demand a prototype if that is the only help they can offer. Geez...what a stupid response from them

Sorry I can't help with your problem. Message RobAmy to see if he has noticed anything similar with his R and 400DOII.

Dec 18, 2019 at 03:25 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

Have you tried a new EF adapter yet? Since the lens doesn't seem to be wonky on any other body, I'd think it's either the R or more likely the adapter.

Dec 18, 2019 at 03:56 PM
RobAmy
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

I purposely just tried the R with the DO II with and without the 2x III. I turned off the IS put it back on etc. I could not produce any jumping in the EVF. For the heck of it, I tried it with the 200-400, 70-200mm III and as you know I use the 400mm f2.8 without issue. It may be possible something is going on with the R. I am not sure but maybe try a different adaptor. You could have a bad adapter too (not sure if they have any variation). I used the adaptor with the control ring and without.

I do have almost anything extra turned off that I do not use in the camera including some things that are on by default. Maybe something is interfering with it. Worth a shot turning things off and trying different combos.

Just as an example maybe like anti flicker is messing with you, depending on the shutter speed. I believe you can't use silent mode with that enabled. Odd for sure. easiest try is a new adapter.

Dec 18, 2019 at 04:10 PM
RobAmy
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

RoamingScott wrote:
Have you tried a new EF adapter yet? Since the lens doesn't seem to be wonky on any other body, I'd think it's either the R or more likely the adapter.

Agreed, I was typing as you posted it. I have a similar thought.

Dec 18, 2019 at 04:11 PM
ChrisMak
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

RobAmy wrote:
I purposely just tried the R with the DO II with and without the 2x III. I turned off the IS put it back on etc. I could not produce any jumping in the EVF. For the heck of it, I tried it with the 200-400, 70-200mm III and as you know I use the 400mm f2.8 without issue. It may be possible something is going on with the R. I am not sure but maybe try a different adaptor. You could have a bad adapter too (not sure if they have any variation). I used the adaptor with the
...Show more

Thanks,
I tested a bit further, and what causes the IS to return to proper function, is not necessarily switching modes, or switching IS off/on on the lens itself, but simply the IS shutting off and engaging (in "eco-mode" it shuts off after 15 sec.) So it is fully arbitrary, and looks awefully much like a disturbed current, so yes, maybe it is the adapter. Cleaning all contacts did not solve things, so the current that engages and sustains the IS seems to have interference, perhaps (and hopefully!!) from bad circuitry in the adapter. I noticed that the adapter is not made in Japan, so perhaps not made to the usual Canon standard.
I already did a reset, but will try if switching certain settings off will make a difference.

Let's hope it is the adapter!!

Dec 18, 2019 at 04:40 PM
ChrisMak
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

arbitrage wrote:
Ask them where to buy the RF 400DO or else demand a prototype if that is the only help they can offer. Geez...what a stupid response from them

Yes, I was surprised to say the least....

Dec 18, 2019 at 04:43 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

ChrisMak wrote:
Yes, I was surprised to say the least....

Maybe you just got a huge scoop!

Dec 18, 2019 at 05:11 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

I have not observed any such behavior with my R and 400DO II. I never used it with a TC, for better or worse, but still it performed flawlessly.

Dec 19, 2019 at 12:24 AM
ChrisMak
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

I tried a different adapter today, but exactly the same behavior.
They did not have an EOS-R in stock, so will have to wait to see if there is something wrong with the electronics in the EOS-R.
Othetwise, I will have to see if I can return the body, or accept that I will have to revert to shooting in IS mode 3 all the time, because the jumping viewfinder drives you crazy.

Anyone knows if mode 3 will still give optimal IS during exposure for static or slow moving subjects?

Dec 19, 2019 at 07:57 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

Mode 3 is not for static subjects. It works like mode 2 for vertical stabilization when tracking in a horizontal direction. It only engages when you press the shutter all the way. IS can effect AF and modes 3 eliminates that. I found it quite effective.

Dec 19, 2019 at 08:24 AM
ChrisMak
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

Zenon Char wrote:
Mode 3 is not for static subjects. It works like mode 2 for vertical stabilization when tracking in a horizontal direction. It only engages when you press the shutter all the way. IS can effect AF and modes 3 eliminates that. I found it quite effective.

Yes, but since the 400DOII can detect panning, I was wondering how the IS operates in this mode when panning is not detected. Canon is rather unclear about this.

Dec 19, 2019 at 09:21 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

So just to be clear. The R IS is active on your R all of the time or is this common to all R's? If so was not aware of this. I had a few weeks of decent weather for testing and then it tanked to frickin freezing. I have not tried it with 1/6 but I will today indoors.

Where does it say in the manual the 400 detects panning? Does this mean that if I'm shooting a static object in mode 1 it reverts to 2 automatically when I begin to pan?

Sorry for the dumb questions. This is new to me.

Dec 19, 2019 at 10:03 AM
ChrisMak
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

Yes, sadly IS is kept active all the time. I múch prefer the dslr way: IS only active when half pressing the shutter.

From the manual of the 400DOII:
"MODE 3: Corrects vibration only
during exposure. During panning
shots, corrects vibration during
exposure only in one direction
the same as MODE 2."

So when it detects panning, it acts as mode 2, that is how I read it anyway.

Zenon Char wrote:
So just to be clear. The R IS is active on your R all of the time or is this common to all R's? If so was not aware of this. I had a few weeks of decent weather for testing and then it tanked to frickin freezing. I have not tried it with 1/6 but I will today indoors.

Where does it say in the manual the 400 detects panning? Does this mean that if I'm shooting a static object in mode 1 it reverts to 2 automatically when I begin to pan?

Sorry for the dumb questions. This
...Show more

Dec 19, 2019 at 11:11 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

I see, You are talking about mode 3. That was what I said in post 11. I imagine it would work like mode 2 when not panning, you just won't see anything in the viewfinder until the shutter is pressed all the way. I don't know what you see you or how it reacts in mode 2 when not panning. I've never tried it on a static object.

I'm not sure how mode 3 works. My guess is it in panning mode while tracking but the IS only physically kicks in when the shutter is pressed all the way. Maybe it is fast enough to go into panning mode and activate IS when the shutter is pressed. Doesn't seem that would be as effective. However since IS on all of the time it doesn't do anything for you.

I'm going try that shortly.

Dec 19, 2019 at 11:43 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

IS ran continuously with my 100-400 I using a Canon basic adapter. I don't have the control ring one. That is not good. Battery killer. Even in Eco, mode 3 is useless because it activates as soon as it is powered up.

Dec 19, 2019 at 11:57 AM
ChrisMak
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

Any thoughts on why Canon keeps IS active continuously with the R bodies?
I see only downsides

Zenon Char wrote:
IS ran continuously with my 100-400 I using a Canon basic adapter. I don't have the control ring one. That is not good. Battery killer. Even in Eco, mode 3 is useless because it activates as soon as it is powered up.

Dec 19, 2019 at 12:20 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

It says it on page 143 of the manual. Runs continuously. Why would Canon do this? There are a few things I tolerate with the R but I just found something I don't like. I hope they change this with the pro release.

Dec 19, 2019 at 12:21 PM
ChrisMak
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

Zenon Char wrote:
It says it on page 143 of the manual. Runs continuously. Why would Canon do this? There are a few things I tolerate with the R but I just found something I don't like. I hope they change this with the pro release.

It's beyond me why it has not yet been addressed with a firmware update....

Dec 19, 2019 at 01:30 PM
RobAmy
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

I just set mine to shut off in 15 secs. That shuts the IS off. A half press of the shutter turns it on fairly quickly.

Dec 19, 2019 at 04:16 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.