fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       92              94       …       101       102       end
  

Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread

  
 
EMH2025
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.93 #1 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread


Fred Miranda wrote:
Have you guys heard about this LLL 40mm f/2 "Hua"?

The only link I found was this:

https://www.facebook.com/lightlenslab/posts/pfbid02APLe1L6DMPV2nb2cDTYqsq5V4WeZrQcghkyuzSpfAqY2GUnQryC5ugxbpBc58D6Cl


I asked David Chen LLL about it weeks ago and he wrote they are busy with many other launches, I am not sure whether that means delay or shelved. Perhaps he will choose to weigh in. The do seem to have big plans- lenses, web site, film…. so I guess not a priority at the moment. I am enjoying their other products so they are doing well to my perception.




Jul 14, 2026 at 07:26 PM
damonnomonon
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.93 #2 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread


EMH2025 wrote:
I asked David Chen LLL about it weeks ago and he wrote they are busy with many other launches, I am not sure whether that means delay or shelved. Perhaps he will choose to weigh in. The do seem to have big plans- lenses, web site, film…. so I guess not a priority at the moment. I am enjoying their other products so they are doing well to my perception.



I've spent three months via email trying to see if they can help with screws for the 75mm. (I actually scratched the lens barrel taking the tab and putting the screws back in but that's another story). So yeah I guess you can say they are busy. Maybe David is the only customer service they have.



Jul 14, 2026 at 07:27 PM
philip_pj
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.93 #3 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread


Steve, thanks for the response. The issue I mentioned is not so much 'quality' as the missing word also - 'quality control' is one of the issues Neil highlighted. It's interesting that Cosina is now backing away from aspherics in even their APO lenses. They are now an exemplary spherical lens company, leading the way in the stills world, using their very fine own manufacture spherical glass! Maybe we will soon see lens front plates proudly displaying 'SPHER' or similar. lol.

The Cooke s8/i lenses (full frame, T1.4) 'cost around $34,650 to $36,100 USD each', so I guess Neil's concerns lie elsewhere than costs - primarily in 'the look', design, assembly.

We've see plenty of posts about CV lenses with misalignment over the years, haven't we? Not that we can say this is greater or lower than other lens brands And in fact it may be that users of high end MF lenses are more on the lookout than regular AF camera users.

On designs with aspherics, permit me to make a longer post in the hope it may interest some readers.

Iain Neil: 'During the past five or more years, I kept hearing that images produced by digital cameras mostly looked the same, the words “clinical, sterile look” were heard often. This seemed to be bothering a lot of cinematographers.'

'I said, “Well, maybe future lenses should be designed so that the images are more film-like, as opposed to digital.” We had aspherical surfaces in cine optics around the 1990s. And those types of aspheres, unfortunately, took a direction where the imaging appeared clinical or sterile.'

'The point is that we don’t need to be quite so obsessed with resolution. The key is contrast. In my view, you want to maximize the contrast. So, when the S8/i project began, I said, “We don’t really need the aspherical surfaces—they are not magical.'

'With spherical optics, you can design lenses that perform very well—maybe not to super high resolution levels, but certainly sufficient, and quite ample, for digital cameras not just today, but even in 5 or 10 years from now. Spherical optics can do just as good a job as lenses with aspherical optics.'

'Furthermore, in designing spherical lenses, you can produce a near telecentric output of the light rays that is nice for the sensor. It makes the sensor efficient. There are additional reasons for not having aspheres, whether pressed, molded, polished, ground, or other methods. One of them is the alignment, how precise you have to align aspheres, and the fact that over time, you may lose the alignment.'

'The other issue with aspheres, especially when ground and polished, is the possibility of seeing “onion
rings,” or “tree rings” in the bokeh. It’s not always the case, but it can show up. With spherical lenses, you have smooth-looking bokeh, without onion or tree rings.'

'But if for no other reason, not having aspheres makes a huge difference—it’s a large factor. In designing earlier lenses at Cooke, they always said, “See these damned aspheres. They’re a bloody nuisance. They’re difficult to source. Then we get them, and they’re not the right quality. They charge lots of money. We can’t get the volume. We can’t build enough lenses.” So, the word was out, get rid of aspheres.' (The Cookes are not just portrait length, they start with an 18/T1.4!) cheers.

quotation from: https://www.fdtimes.com/issues/ (April 2022 issue, pp. 18-21)

https://cookeoptics.com/lens/s8-i-ff/



Jul 14, 2026 at 08:00 PM
mgscheu
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.93 #4 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread


LLL rangefinder in the works?
https://www.instagram.com/reel/Da64QToRrDq/



Jul 18, 2026 at 03:17 AM
damonnomonon
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.93 #5 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread


Does anyone know per chance if there are any difference between version 7 and version 8 of the 35mm 8-element?



Jul 25, 2026 at 11:12 PM
dumchidumchi
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.93 #6 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread


Light Lens Lab “華” 40mm F2
https://www.instagram.com/p/DbNiFAiR_0E/




Jul 25, 2026 at 11:35 PM
mgscheu
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.93 #7 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread




dumchidumchi wrote:
Light Lens Lab “華” 40mm F2
https://www.instagram.com/p/DbNiFAiR_0E/



Hmm. Summicron-C/M-Rokkor 40mm?



Jul 26, 2026 at 09:57 AM
endergemini
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.93 #8 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread


mgscheu wrote:
Hmm. Summicron-C/M-Rokkor 40mm?


If I remember correctly it is based off a lens from the Chinese Huaxia 822 rangefinder from the 80s and may or may not use elements sourced from that, including ones that might be scratched or have coating damage. Supposedly offered to existing customers with a dice roll on condition of the element but with the buyers being told this. This was based off Discord screenshots I saw. Could be an interesting product for the LLL faithful. I love 40mm and my LLL lenses so I would be interested depending on price.



Jul 26, 2026 at 02:18 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.93 #9 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread


mgscheu wrote:
Hmm. Summicron-C/M-Rokkor 40mm?


I've heard that this LLL 40mm f/2 "hua" is less a real product than a collector's souvenir. In short, it's derived from a 40mm f/2 lens originally designed for a 1980s Chinese point-and-shoot camera. The catch is that the internal glass is drawn at random from a mixed stock of elements, some from ELCAN/8E, others from original 40mm f/2 units Mr. Zhou has been collecting since the 1990s. As a result, no two copies will perform identically. Whether LLL will ever bring this to market as an actual product remains uncertain.



Jul 26, 2026 at 02:48 PM
mgscheu
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.93 #10 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread


Wow, weird! That is certainly different.


Jul 26, 2026 at 04:43 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

rico
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.93 #11 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread


For anyone familiar with Japanese culture, this is high-end optical gacha. Amusing quote from Wikipedia:
"Japan Airlines (JAL) has previously offered limited edition capsule toys containing parts from retired aircraft."



Jul 27, 2026 at 12:49 AM
david6908
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.93 #12 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread


damonnomonon wrote:
Does anyone know per chance if there are any difference between version 7 and version 8 of the 35mm 8-element?


I don’t think there will be any significant differences between these two versions. Both are produced in relatively recent batches. The earlier batches, namely those version 1 and 2, might have some slight differences in manufacturing processes.
BTW, you can take a look at the sample pictures I shot using this lens. It was recorded with the v6LC version of this cute lens: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/658112/1736?nc=1#17079001

For more detailed review comments (only Chinese, but you can view with any Explore Translation plugin), click here.



Jul 27, 2026 at 05:05 AM
damonnomonon
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.93 #13 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread


david6908 wrote:
I don’t think there will be any significant differences between these two versions. Both are produced in relatively recent batches. The earlier batches, namely those version 1 and 2, might have some slight differences in manufacturing processes.
BTW, you can take a look at the sample pictures I shot using this lens. It was recorded with the v6LC version of this cute lens: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/658112/1736?nc=1#17079001

For more detailed review comments (only Chinese, but you can view with any Explore Translation plugin), click here.


Nice photos. I saw a review of the 8 vs an earlier copy on Youtube yesterday, in Korean but auto-translated. I don't really dig the colours of the earlier version. I think I should be ok with the 7 for that because only 1 and 2 had the cooler colours?

The video also did a comparison to the original Leica:






Jul 27, 2026 at 07:12 PM
david6908
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.93 #14 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread


damonnomonon wrote:
Nice photos. I saw a review of the 8 vs an earlier copy on Youtube yesterday, in Korean but auto-translated. I don't really dig the colours of the earlier version. I think I should be ok with the 7 for that because only 1 and 2 had the cooler colours?

The video also did a comparison to the original Leica:





I think so.
And there is a review by Jimmy, a Leica fans, in English with v7LC compare original Leica.
https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1z9FUecEBK/?spm_id_from=333.337.search-card.all.click



Jul 27, 2026 at 09:44 PM
Sonnar-7
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.93 #15 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread


LLL Z21 50mm 1.5 & Sony FX2


















Jul 29, 2026 at 10:22 AM
Sonnar-7
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.93 #16 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread


LLL Z21 50mm 1.5 & Sony FX2


















Jul 29, 2026 at 02:06 PM
gammarART
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.93 #17 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread


Short view on the upcoming Apo lens:




Jul 31, 2026 at 04:45 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.93 #18 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread


gammarART wrote:
Short view on the upcoming Apo lens:


I've heard the release is getting close. From the video, it looks like it has 11 elements, one more than the Leica version. He also mentions better corner performance.

Here's more info LLL has released so far:

"This lens aims to match or exceed the performance of Leica's own APO-designed M f/2 35mm ASPH., adopting a completely new optical design. By using premium ultra-low dispersion glass and multiple aspherical elements, chromatic aberration is suppressed to the extreme limit, improving contrast reproduction. It also incorporates a floating focus mechanism, shortening the minimum focusing distance to 0.3m, delivering outstanding resolution even at close range. This is a new-generation, high-performance lens that achieves further improvements in rendering while maintaining a compact size."



Jul 31, 2026 at 07:23 PM
philip_pj
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.93 #19 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread


35/2 APO -> 'I already did'. 11 elements, FLE, short MFD but we want to know the composition too, the use of achromats, counts of APD and asph. The M source lens is quite a throwback in some ways, to keep it small - a 10/5, almost unheard of these days.

Three doublets, one triplet. It's not often said in these days of super coatings, but minimising glass surfaces still matters. The M 35/2 APO has just ten of them.

It's his favourite M lens. Any guesses or inside info about final retail price structure? The M lens is prohibitively pricey.



Jul 31, 2026 at 07:55 PM
gammarART
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.93 #20 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread


I can easily imagine this becoming the first LLL lens to break the €3,000 mark. The amount of work going into its development seems immense, and you can really see how passionately he cares about this little lens.

I’m curious to see when it will be officially announced and when the first units will actually start shipping.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if there were titanium version as well. Personally, though, I’d find a silver version much more interesting, since no manufacturer currently offers a 35mm APO M lens in silver.



Aug 01, 2026 at 03:46 AM
1       2       3       …       92              94       …       101       102       end






FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       92              94       …       101       102       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account