Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Pre-order: Nikon NIKKOR Z 24mm f/1.8 S Lens ($996.95)

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Pre-order: Nikon NIKKOR Z 24mm f/1.8 S Lens ($996.95)

Nikon 24mm f/1.8S Announced
The new Nikon Nikkor Z 24mm f/1.8 S mirrorless lens is now available for pre-order:

B&H Photo | Amazon | Adorama at $996.95

Main specifications:
  1. Focal Length 24mm
  2. Maximum Aperture f/1.8
  3. Minimum Aperture f/16
  4. Lens Mount Nikon Z
  5. Format Compatibility Full-Frame
  6. Angle of View 84°
  7. Maximum Magnification 0.15x
  8. Minimum Focus Distance 9.84" / 25 cm
  9. Optical Design 12 Elements in 10 Groups
  10. Diaphragm Blades 9, Rounded
  11. Focus Type Autofocus
  12. Image Stabilization No
  13. Filter Size 72 mm (Front)
  14. Dimensions (ø x L) 3.07 x 3.80" / 78 x 96.5 mm
  15. Weight 15.87 oz / 450 g

Sep 04, 2019 at 10:24 AM
davidrwilliams
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Pre-order: Nikon NIKKOR Z 24mm f/1.8 S Lens ($996.95)

Just received notification from Nikon Canada of the announcement of the 24/1.8S....

http://en.nikon.ca/nikon-products/product/mirrorless-lenses/nikkor-z-24mm-f%252f1.8-s.html?cid=img_en_us:EML:MKT:na:932019:eml:P:2019-09-04-WWA-EnCA:chart:img:nikkoradvantage#tab-ProductDetail-ProductTabs-Overview

MTF’s here...
https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/z-mount/z_24mmf18s/spec.htm

Check out that second last element from the rear - seriously aspherical!

Sep 04, 2019 at 12:27 AM
johnvanatta
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Pre-order: Nikon NIKKOR Z 24mm f/1.8 S Lens ($996.95)

MTF looks meaningfully better than the 35/1.8 S, but wide open performance isn't really what I'm interested in for this one. I'm curious to see what Nikon can do with their new mount on a wide angle prime now that they're warmed up.

Sep 04, 2019 at 02:16 AM
Max Power
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Pre-order: Nikon NIKKOR Z 24mm f/1.8 S Lens ($996.95)

I was hoping for more of a 50mm 1.8s price than a 35mm 1.8s price, but I am not surprised. This is my most used FL, I am torn how much better this will be than my adapted Sigma Art, size and weight not considered. This is their most expensive prime yet for the Z, which gives me pause....

Edited on Sep 04, 2019 at 09:17 AM · View previous versions

Sep 04, 2019 at 08:08 AM
this is me
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Pre-order: Nikon NIKKOR Z 24mm f/1.8 S Lens ($996.95)

1000$ lol
I'll likely get it but that's a pretty steep price.

Sep 04, 2019 at 08:29 AM
thedruid
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Pre-order: Nikon NIKKOR Z 24mm f/1.8 S Lens ($996.95)

Don't worry, a few weeks after it's release there will be one on the B/S

Sep 04, 2019 at 09:09 AM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Pre-order: Nikon NIKKOR Z 24mm f/1.8 S Lens ($996.95)

That is a really expensive and heavy (for an f/1.8) lens. The Sony 24 f/1.4 is 5g lighter and a stop faster. What gives Nikon? Are they using lead in the AF rings?

Sep 04, 2019 at 11:46 AM
Dj R
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Pre-order: Nikon NIKKOR Z 24mm f/1.8 S Lens ($996.95)

Decision time gents!
S glass is shaping up!
FL war!

for the thrifty
35/85
vs.
24/50

for the folks who need options
35/50/85
vs
24/50/85 - this is very well spaced, but more distortion from the 24 vs 35 obviously

for the FT pros
24/35/50/85 b/c really, they are all needed!

fwiw, I'll dive in....
24/50/85 makes sense on paper
24 wide, 85 portrait, 50 for just one lens sessions
if you rock two bodies, you would do 24/50 for interior, so getting ready and reception
use your 85 for portrait and ceremony time

35/85 is all most portrait folks need, provided they are not in super tight spaces
just rock this combo all day on two bodies, and never switch a thing. got the funds? 50 for backup would be ideal, it's not that expensive anyhow.

Sep 04, 2019 at 11:52 AM
webmstrk9
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Pre-order: Nikon NIKKOR Z 24mm f/1.8 S Lens ($996.95)

I would have been interested if it was a 28mm.... haha

Sep 04, 2019 at 01:33 PM
this is me
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Pre-order: Nikon NIKKOR Z 24mm f/1.8 S Lens ($996.95)

Walk a couple steps forward or crop the picture. You don't need 46MP.

Sep 04, 2019 at 01:54 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

fsiagian
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Pre-order: Nikon NIKKOR Z 24mm f/1.8 S Lens ($996.95)

webmstrk9 wrote:
I would have been interested if it was a 28mm.... haha

+1

Sep 04, 2019 at 06:38 PM
Max Power
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Pre-order: Nikon NIKKOR Z 24mm f/1.8 S Lens ($996.95)

Arka wrote:
That is a really expensive and heavy (for an f/1.8) lens. The Sony 24 f/1.4 is 5g lighter and a stop faster. What gives Nikon? Are they using lead in the AF rings?

The mtf charts are better than the 35 and 50, so let’s see how they compare in the real world. I just pre ordered one.

That and Sony lens pricing to me is as about as important as bicycle prices are to fish.

Sep 04, 2019 at 11:09 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Pre-order: Nikon NIKKOR Z 24mm f/1.8 S Lens ($996.95)

Max Power wrote:
The mtf charts are better than the 35 and 50, so let’s see how they compare in the real world. I just pre ordered one.

That and Sony lens pricing to me is as about as important as bicycle prices are to fish.

I didn't say anything about price of Sony lenses - just referencing their lower (in this focal length) weight. I'm actually willing to pay quite a bit for reduced weight (both on myself and my lenses), so I'm wondering why Nikon can't deliver a lighter lens in an f/1.8 when many (including some of Nikon's earlier lenses) can. The ZM and Leica Summilux 35 lenses are 70 and 100g lighter respectively, and Summilux 24 f/1.4 weighs the same as the Nikon Z24 (albeit without AF motors, but also with more glass and heavier body materials). And of course my Sony 24mm f/1.4 weighs 5g less and has stellar MTFs. All these lenses are a stop faster. Even Nikon's own 20mm f/1.8 lens is nearly 100g lighter. Seems odd that a camera system that touts reductions in weight ("26% lighter than the D850[!]") is making such weighty offerings in lens ranges that should be quite compact (f/2 "Summicron" type primes).

Sep 05, 2019 at 01:02 AM
MayaTlab
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Pre-order: Nikon NIKKOR Z 24mm f/1.8 S Lens ($996.95)

Leica's SL summicron lineup is even bigger than Nikon's 1.8 S lineup .
I simply wouldn't compare MF / AF lenses or lenses with wildly different optical performances.
Comparing M mount lenses with the S lineup makes very little sense and besides most M mount lenses below 50mm aren't as well corrected off centre as their equivalent S primes anyway (you won't like doing astrophotography with the 24mm summilux for example).

In regards to the 35 and 50 S, there are some very significant design differences to them that may explain (emphasis on "may", I'm not an optical engineer) why they're bigger than their Sony counterparts. The 35 S is significantly better corrected past the APSC circle (at least a good copy should - basically you just won't find a better corrected 35mm in the corners than it below $1000 I think, other than Tarmon's latest 35mm, and we're talking about the sort of correction that matters for bokeh or niche applications like astro), has a lot less CA, performs better overall closed down (possibly including vignetting). Conversely the Sony 35mm seems to have been design to have a super fast AF, it seems that AF speed wasn't as much a concern with the Nikon. The 50 S has no focus breathing (the Sony 55 has), way less CA than the Sony by an order of magnitude (night and day difference here), possibly less vignetting. Obviously the price target was wildly different. Don't know about flare / glare. Basically at these two focal lengths I think that the design intentions may have been divergent enough that the size difference may be partly explained by them. It's difficult to know what Nikon could have achieved in terms of size if they had relaxed the 50mm's colour correction for example.

In regards to the 85, it isn't actually that much bigger than the Sony. We'll know more about it later on I guess but given some early samples (https://www.fotopolis.pl/testy/obiektywy/32660-nikkor-z-85-mm-f-1-8-s-pierwsze-wrazenia-i-zdjecia-przykladowe) I'm not expecting it to disappoint much if not quite the contrary.

In regards to the 24 : that's where it becomes more difficult to find good excuses . The Sony has some limitations. While in many regards it's exceptional (I'm impressed by how little deformation point light sources exhibit in the corners of the frame for a fast 24mm), it's also subpar in some other areas (CA correction). We already know from early samples that the Nikon won't be quite as well corrected for CA than the 50 S is (first shot in DPR's gallery makes that obvious), so perhaps more in line with the 35 S. I'm expecting better LACA correction than the Sony (that shouldn't be too hard to achieve), but perhaps only a very slight advantage in terms of LOCA if at all. I'm not expecting the 24 S to match the Sony 24 in terms of point light source correction in the corners, but I'm expecting it to be second or third best for a 24mm prime if it matches the 35 S or if the design intentions the MTF curves evoke are well translated into manufactured products . Closed down the Nikon may have lower vignetting (some of Sony's wide angles seem to have "persistent" vignetting when closed down) and possibly perform a bit better. I'm also expecting the Nikon 24 to have more onion rings, although no more than the 35 S. The Nikon is designed with low focus breathing, I don't know about the Sony. Not sure about how on axis aberrations will be tuned and their implications on bokeh. To be frank I think that it may be the closest match yet in terms of performance targets and design intentions, other than the aperture. I'm not expecting the price to hold at €1200 for a long time, so I think that in the long run some people may simply see this lens as being basically a Sony 24mm GM for €600 less with 2/3 of a stop less speed in the centre of the frame (peripheral illumination remains to be seen).

Or maybe Nikon's lens engineering just sucks. But my little finger tells me that this may not be 100% accurate. Well, maybe it sucks a little. I have some reservations about the manufacturing consistency of the new Z lenses for example.

Sep 05, 2019 at 03:01 AM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Pre-order: Nikon NIKKOR Z 24mm f/1.8 S Lens ($996.95)

MayaTlab wrote:
Leica's SL summicron lineup is even bigger than Nikon's 1.8 S lineup .
I simply wouldn't compare MF / AF lenses or lenses with wildly different optical performances.
Comparing M mount lenses with the S lineup makes very little sense and besides most M mount lenses below 50mm aren't as well corrected off centre as their equivalent S primes anyway (you won't like doing astrophotography with the 24mm summilux for example).

In regards to the 35 and 50 S, there are some very significant design differences to them that may explain (emphasis on "may", I'm not an optical engineer) why
...Show more

The L-mount consortium is generating some of the largest and most ridiculously expensive lenses I've ever seen for 35mm FF. I have a hard time understanding who those costly baubles are even for, but hey, it's a free country. But you'll never see my purchasing any of those monstrous SL lenses, optical perfection notwithstanding. Life's too short to carry that much crap around just to take pictures.

My comments are limited to wide angles, and most critically the 20-35mm range. No one seems to know how to make a a lightweight 50 or 85 anymore. But in the wide angle space? Forget Sony for a minute - even Nikon has a pretty good idea on how to make lightweight f/2 primes for F-mount. That doesn't seem to be making it over to the Z mount. Maybe the purported optical advantages are worth it to some, but not to me. I'll take slightly worse CA correction in a Sony 24mm f/1.4 over a slightly heavier 24mm f/1.8 any day.

Sep 05, 2019 at 03:52 AM
Max Power
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Pre-order: Nikon NIKKOR Z 24mm f/1.8 S Lens ($996.95)

Arka wrote:
The L-mount consortium is generating some of the largest and most ridiculously expensive lenses I've ever seen for 35mm FF. I have a hard time understanding who those costly baubles are even for, but hey, it's a free country. But you'll never see my purchasing any of those monstrous SL lenses, optical perfection notwithstanding. Life's too short to carry that much crap around just to take pictures.

My comments are limited to wide angles, and most critically the 20-35mm range. No one seems to know how to make a a lightweight 50 or 85 anymore. But in the wide angle
...Show more

Sounds like you have made your plan. I really don't expect the 100 grams weight difference, or whatever it is, to be a problem. I am carrying around a Sigma 24mm Art now on an adapter, so it is all relative.

I think the landscape for lenses (no pun intended) changed with the affordable optical excellence when the Sigma 35mm Art came out. All of a sudden there were optics that were previously unavailable in such an affordable package, size be damned. It seems to have started a trend, and I bet the sales support it. Yes Nikon did make compact 35,, F2 lenses at one time, but most people don't even consider that based on the optics these days, it seems to be relegated to "character lens" at this point. I would gladly consider a 24mm 2.8 at half the size and weight, especially if it was Z good wide open, but I think I am in the minority on that.

Sep 05, 2019 at 10:01 AM
Dj R
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Pre-order: Nikon NIKKOR Z 24mm f/1.8 S Lens ($996.95)

Arka wrote
No one seems to know how to make a a lightweight 50 or 85 anymore.

Sony 85mm 1.8
13.09 oz / 371 g

Nikon 85mm 1.8s
16.6 oz / 470 g

I consider anything under 600g light
But anything under 400g superlight!

Sep 05, 2019 at 10:17 AM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Pre-order: Nikon NIKKOR Z 24mm f/1.8 S Lens ($996.95)

Sony’s 24 gm is their best glass offered. It is indeed special. I personally don’t consider 100g or 200g as a significant achievement as the bokeh and rendering of that glass. It is just special.

However, I think this is a moot point as for Nikon users, it doesn’t matter unless you want mess up with adapter which you could.

This 24S still offer one of best 24mm performance with $500 less and half stop slower. For most Z users, even they could adapter 24gm, I think most people will prefer a set of matched glass with native AF performance.

Arka wrote:

My comments are limited to wide angles, and most critically the 20-35mm range. No one seems to know how to make a a lightweight 50 or 85 anymore. But in the wide angle
...Show more

Sep 05, 2019 at 10:41 AM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Pre-order: Nikon NIKKOR Z 24mm f/1.8 S Lens ($996.95)

Dj R wrote:
Sony 85mm 1.8
13.09 oz / 371 g

Nikon 85mm 1.8s
16.6 oz / 470 g

I consider anything under 600g light
But anything under 400g superlight!

Sorry, I left out an important qualifier - an f/1.4 85 or 50. You're right - there are great options for excellent and lightweight 85mm f/1.8s. I have the Sony myself and love it.

Sep 05, 2019 at 01:09 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Pre-order: Nikon NIKKOR Z 24mm f/1.8 S Lens ($996.95)

Max Power wrote:
Sounds like you have made your plan. I really don't expect the 100 grams weight difference, or whatever it is, to be a problem. I am carrying around a Sigma 24mm Art now on an adapter, so it is all relative.

I think the landscape for lenses (no pun intended) changed with the affordable optical excellence when the Sigma 35mm Art came out. All of a sudden there were optics that were previously unavailable in such an affordable package, size be damned. It seems to have started a trend, and I bet the sales support it. Yes Nikon did
...Show more

Agreed. The Sigma Art lenses (of which I have a few myself) established the possibility of affordable yet excellent glass, weight be damned. I figured that the monstrous weight of those things was something of an explanation for their reasonable cost. And then Leica started making SL lenses that were heavier and several times more expensive. Then there's the Otus (which doesn't even have AF motors), and weighs as much (and costs nearly as much) as Leica SL lenses. There must be a market for all of this tonnage, but I can't say I know anyone outside this forum lining up to leaden their packs and camera straps with such enormous and costly optics.

Sep 05, 2019 at 07:20 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password