New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2019 · Canon EOS R + Zeiss ZE lenses

skyisland
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon EOS R + Zeiss ZE lenses

Hello,

Just a mild annoyance I'm trying to figure out. I use my Zeiss ZE lenses on the EOS R with Canon EF/RF mount and the EXIF is not showing up the lens i.e "Zeiss Distagon T* 2.8/21 ZE" like it shows up on my Canon 6D. Does anyone know how to manually input the info in the camera while lens is attached or some other way? Other peoples photos on Flickr that use Zeiss + EOS R have their exif showing the exact lens.

Thanks for any help!

Jul 16, 2019 at 01:49 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon EOS R + Zeiss ZE lenses

I'd ask Zeiss about it.

Jul 16, 2019 at 06:01 PM
Bacalhau
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon EOS R + Zeiss ZE lenses

skyisland wrote:
Hello,

Just a mild annoyance I'm trying to figure out. I use my Zeiss ZE lenses on the EOS R with Canon EF/RF mount and the EXIF is not showing up the lens i.e "Zeiss Distagon T* 2.8/21 ZE" like it shows up on my Canon 6D. Does anyone know how to manually input the info in the camera while lens is attached or some other way? Other peoples photos on Flickr that use Zeiss + EOS R have their exif showing the exact lens.

Thanks for any help!

is just with the zeiss lenses? Have you tried with other non-zeiss lens on the eos R?
could be a UI toggle if all lenses are not reporting the exiff properly.

Canon might have the answer for this issue....

Jul 17, 2019 at 09:06 AM
melcat
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon EOS R + Zeiss ZE lenses

I'm pretty sure, from examining the .CR2 files, that my Zeiss 100mm f/2 ZE doesn't send its name back to my EOS camera either. Instead, the string "100mm" appears in the appropriate place in the MakerNotes.

Rather Adobe Camera Raw uses a heuristic to guess the lens and writes it into the sidecar file. From there, Photoshop copies it into the standard EXIF field. Lightroom will be doing it in one step.

Other postprocessing software might not do this, or might use a different string. At one point I was using ACR to create the sidecars and then using exiftool to copy the lens name back into the final TIFFs made with another converter.

The software tool I wrote to inspect this stuff works only with .CR2s, sorry. You may be able to inspect your .CR3s by opening a scratch copy in a text editor and searching for "Zeiss"; that's probably not compressed.

Jul 17, 2019 at 09:34 AM
IndyFab
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon EOS R + Zeiss ZE lenses

Maybe a call into CPS, to let you know exactly what setting you need to make in Camera menu.

Jul 17, 2019 at 09:56 AM
skyisland
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon EOS R + Zeiss ZE lenses

I only use Zeiss ZE lenses Balcalhua on my EOS R at the moment. I use my Canon lenses on my Canon 6D. I'm using Canon Digital Professional 4 and Lightroom 4.4 64bit to edit photos. And my firmware on EOS R is updated.
I know EOS R can read the correct lens or manually input it at least as there's one flickr user showing his photos with all the correct lens model info:
Flickr user

Jul 17, 2019 at 01:38 PM
skyisland
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon EOS R + Zeiss ZE lenses

Follow up is the dude from flickr gets lens model info in his images by right-clicking jpg image in the folder where the images are located in Windows. Click "properties" then "details". As you scroll down in "details" there's area where it says "lens model". Click into the blank space and input info.

Jul 18, 2019 at 02:02 AM
melcat
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon EOS R + Zeiss ZE lenses

skyisland wrote:
Follow up is the dude from flickr gets lens model info in his images by right-clicking jpg image in the folder where the images are located in Windows. Click "properties" then "details". As you scroll down in "details" there's area where it says "lens model". Click into the blank space and input info.

That's consistent with what I saw when I looked at that JPEG. The XMP metadata is missing a whole lot of stuff Adobe software would write, and exiftool complains about a nonstandard field Microsoft added to it.

Also using exiftool, I can see that his camera writes "135mm" for the lens name, just as my EOS body writes "100mm" for my ZE lens. Either the lenses are sending back a blank string for the lens name, or they are sending "100mm" or "135mm" as the names (this is transmitted over the lens contacts when you mount the lens; recent Canon lenses send their full name).

I'll repeat what I said above: it's the postprocessing software which writes the lens names for non-Canon lenses. For example, Adobe writes one name for my Zeiss 100mm, and DxO writes a slightly different one; that's why, to make them the same, I run my DxO-processed images through a script to change the lens name to the Adobe convention.

If you're using DPP to do the raw conversion and then putting the TIFFs into Lightroom, you won't get the lens name. Canon aren't going to do that for third party lenses.

If you're using Adobe to do the raw conversion, make sure you are enabling XMP on export. It should *also* be in the EXIF, but I'm not seeing it there in that user's Flickr image. That might be a difference between Lightroom and Adobe Camera Raw (that user did the conversion in the latest version of Lightroom on Windows, and I use ACR), or it might be a difference in the way Adobe handle .CR2 and .CR3. Either way, just the XMP should be sufficient for Flickr to show the lens name, because it's using exiftool behind the scenes.

You would be making more progress with your question if you uploaded a JPEG or raw sample where people here could download it, instead of guessing at solutions. I don't have a software tool for .CR3, but I can at least look at the JPEG and raw with exiftool.

Jul 18, 2019 at 04:24 AM

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon EOS R + Zeiss ZE lenses

skyisland wrote:
Hello,

Thanks for any help!

I can confirm that my CR3 files from EOS R does show the lens as 100mm f/0 (CZ 100MP ZE). FL and shooting f-number are shown right.
Sony a7III + Sigma MC-11 sees the lens as DT 100mm f2

Jul 18, 2019 at 06:16 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.