Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       6       7       end

Archive 2018 · A7R III L-plate...cheap/solid or buy/cry?

jeetsukumaran
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · A7R III L-plate...cheap/solid or buy/cry?

This is why all my clamps are screw clamps.

Jan 23, 2019 at 01:43 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · A7R III L-plate...cheap/solid or buy/cry?

I could make my lever bigger on my pano clamp. There are about 10 washers in the mechanism. I could get in there with my dremel and cut one or two off if I had too.

Jan 23, 2019 at 01:46 PM
elicious
• • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · A7R III L-plate...cheap/solid or buy/cry?

scalanc2 wrote:
Could you show an example of your solution?

It's a slightly different solution but this pic is what I've done to allow the camera to be comfortably slung lens-down:

Jan 23, 2019 at 02:36 PM
jeetsukumaran
• • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · A7R III L-plate...cheap/solid or buy/cry?

Most of the RRS alternatives discussed here do not seem to have support for a gripped body (which the RRS offering does accommodate), except for the Arca-Swiss "universal" which I posted about earlier. As I noted in the post, there are several major "con's" that make it not entirely satisfying.

I just came across this, which seems very promising and relatively economical:

https://www.promediagear.com/PLSVGC3EM-L-Bracket-for-Sony-Alpha-a9-and-A7rIII-VG-C3EM-Grip-Arca-Swiss-Type-L-Plate_p_353.html

https://www.promediagear.com/assets/images/LBrackets/Sony/PLSVGC3EM/PLSVGC3EMSlide1.jpg

The anti-twist flanges are big plus over the Arca-Swiss, though it uses a hex key to lock/unlock the vertical post adjustment rather than a sweet lever. The hex key is stored in the plate itself, which makes things somewhat more palatable. Also has support for attachments like the SmallRig, which is a bonus. In addition to the strap boss, it also sports an integrated QD connector (I think?).

Jan 23, 2019 at 04:34 PM
Scoobert
• •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · A7R III L-plate...cheap/solid or buy/cry?

Picture This! wrote:
I really wanted to like the smallrig. But there are two major annoyances with it. One was the RRS QR plate not locking fully. I dont know if its RRS plate no adhering to arca swiss standards or the SR. The other annoyance I have with the SR is that there is some play between the camera and the plate even after tightening the mounting screws quite a bit.

Both of these issue have been addressed with the newer version of the L bracket. Which is starting out as part of the Half cage.

They beveled the edge on the arca style mount to make more room and put rubber pads on the top of the plate (under the camera). They also made several other changes including the pinky mount

https://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-half-cage-with-arca-l-bracket-for-sony-a7iii-a7riii-2236.html

Daniel's video on the changes.

Jan 23, 2019 at 06:21 PM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · A7R III L-plate...cheap/solid or buy/cry?

These work beautifully and the price is incredible. https://www.ebay.com/itm/223013979604

I have it and it is a RSS clone. Built like a tank. Fits like a glove. I could not be happier.

Jan 23, 2019 at 07:47 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · A7R III L-plate...cheap/solid or buy/cry?

Tom K. wrote:
These work beautifully and the price is incredible. https://www.ebay.com/itm/223013979604

I have it and it is a RSS clone. Built like a tank. Fits like a glove. I could not be happier.

If their weight calculations are correct, it's also 20g lighter than the RRS. If I didn't already have the RRS, this L-bracket would be my choice. It's only $40 and I paid $200 for the RRS when the A7RIII came out.

Jan 23, 2019 at 08:16 PM
Picture This!
• • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · A7R III L-plate...cheap/solid or buy/cry?

That’s good to know but I’m not going to buy their bigger and “better” version after the experience i had and money already spent. Also i dont need a cage 😊

I’ll take my business elsewhere.

Scoobert wrote:
Both of these issue have been addressed with the newer version of the L bracket. Which is starting out as part of the Half cage.

They beveled the edge on the arca style mount to make more room and put rubber pads on the top of the plate (under the camera). They also made several other changes including the pinky mount

https://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-half-cage-with-arca-l-bracket-for-sony-a7iii-a7riii-2236.html

Daniel's video on the changes.

Jan 23, 2019 at 09:06 PM
Scoobert
• •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · A7R III L-plate...cheap/solid or buy/cry?

Agree, how dare they take input from customers and make improvements. Dont blame you for not giving them your money. The post for as much for others to see that those things have been addressed,

I was pretty happy with the first version since I dont have any overpriced rrs stuff that has issues with so many products on the market or the loose fitment problem. So i went for the pre-order on he new one.

Picture This! wrote:
That’s good to know but I’m not going to buy their bigger and “better” version after the experience i had and money already spent. Also i dont need a cage 😊

I’ll take my business elsewhere.

Jan 23, 2019 at 09:13 PM
Picture This!
• • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · A7R III L-plate...cheap/solid or buy/cry?

Well they fixed a flaw and you have to pay for their v2 to get it. It it were an incremental improvement that’s a different story. Also there are people that dont need the cage. So i’m now stuck with something that’s useless. I’ll email them and ask if they would take the defective v1 back and refund me. . I was travelling in Dec and may be out of the return window. I’ll report back for everyone’s benefit.

Jan 23, 2019 at 09:42 PM
nhsonyshooter
• • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · A7R III L-plate...cheap/solid or buy/cry?

Fred Miranda wrote:
It's solid. It's the L-bracket I use the most.

Thanks! Have you tried any of their ball heads?

Jan 23, 2019 at 10:02 PM
Picture This!
• • • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · A7R III L-plate...cheap/solid or buy/cry?

I've had good luck with Sunwayfoto. Used their L bracket on my markII and it was great. Looking to get this for my A7r3 to replace the smallRig.

A simple L bracket that's well made, sensibly priced and does the job well.

A7r3 Sunwayfoto L Bracket

Jan 23, 2019 at 10:38 PM
JetSpeedman
• •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · A7R III L-plate...cheap/solid or buy/cry?

Haven't seen it mentioned here but I use the Lennon Gecco lb3.

Jan 24, 2019 at 12:07 AM
jeetsukumaran
• • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · A7R III L-plate...cheap/solid or buy/cry?

jeetsukumaran wrote:
Most of the RRS alternatives discussed here do not seem to have support for a gripped body (which the RRS offering does accommodate), except for the Arca-Swiss "universal" which I posted about earlier. As I noted in the post, there are several major "con's" that make it not entirely satisfying.

I just came across this, which seems very promising and relatively economical:

https://www.promediagear.com/PLSVGC3EM-L-Bracket-for-Sony-Alpha-a9-and-A7rIII-VG-C3EM-Grip-Arca-Swiss-Type-L-Plate_p_353.html

https://www.promediagear.com/assets/images/LBrackets/Sony/PLSVGC3EM/PLSVGC3EMSlide1.jpg

The anti-twist flanges are big plus over the Arca-Swiss, though it uses a hex key to lock/unlock the vertical post adjustment rather than a sweet lever. The hex key is stored in the plate itself, which makes things somewhat more
...Show more

Just tried this.

It's going back, and I am sticking with the Arca-Swiss universal.

Pros (over the Arca-Swiss universal in particular):

(1) Anti-twist flanges.

Cons:

(1) The vertical post flexes. Especially when extended. Not necessarily on the weight of the camera alone, but it does not take much force (when, e.g. gripping the post and squeezing) to do so. Perhaps not an issue for many folks, but I would be concerned about swaying/vibrations with a heavy rig in wind, or just a deformation off-axis. The reason for the flex, I think, is that there is only a thin single arm extension going up from the base plate to the vertical plate.

(2) Using a hex key to extend/shorten the vertical post. Now, this is how I've always done it with my previous plates (old-style RRS), except instead of a dedicated post extension mechanism, I would just loosen the plate from the bottom of the camera and slide it out and back again. But here's the thing --- I did not realize it, but I've been spoiled rotten even after just a few hours of using AS's level-lock mechanism to extend the post! In fact, as a side note, the approach with this ProMedia plate is not just worse than the slick AS solution, but worse than even the old-style RRS one (with a fixed vertical post that does not extend; requiring sliding the base plate left of right to get clearance). What's worse than the RRS one is that with the screw approach of the pro media plate, I have to loosen two screws (as opposed to just one on the old-style RRS), and then it takes a lot of force to yank or shove the vertical post out (whereas it takes nothing at all toe slide the base plate once the single screw is loosened).

(3) The quick release port is not a QD standard.

Frankly, (1) alone was the deal-breaker for me. (2) is annoying, but I can live with it, especially if I have a wireless IR remote. (3) is really a non-issue, because the AS does not have it either, and I have a micro-clamp that has a QD receiver. The only reason I mention it is because I expected it based on the website.

Jan 26, 2019 at 02:18 PM
LeeRatters
• • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · A7R III L-plate...cheap/solid or buy/cry?

Names....names.....

I've had a Chinese L Bracket for the past year or so on the A7.

Doesn't twist. Is a good fit. Fit's both my ballhead tripods. Can change the battery with it on. Can open the USB/HDMI doors with it fitted. I have my PD anchors fitted on opposing corners of the camera.....

£8 iirc

I guess the only downside I could imagine is it doesn't extend to access the end ports with it vertical on the tripod - but I guess that's the same with others too......

Jan 27, 2019 at 11:51 AM
akclimber
• • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · A7R III L-plate...cheap/solid or buy/cry?

Now that looks like a great design. Just ordered one try. Thanks!

Fred Miranda wrote:
The SmallRig L-Bracket is getting great reviews and it's only $59

https://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-l-bracket-for-sony-a7iii-a7m3-a7riii-a9-2122.html

Jan 27, 2019 at 01:22 PM
pizdets17
• • • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · A7R III L-plate...cheap/solid or buy/cry?

I have an interesting question. Will the Gabale "L" piece fit inside the RRS plate for the a7r3? I just bought. camera with the bottom plate and really don't feel like buying a little "L" thing for $115 plus shipping and taxes. If anyone has both this would be invaluable info

Jan 28, 2019 at 12:49 PM
sandycrane
• • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · A7R III L-plate...cheap/solid or buy/cry?

I doubt that the parts are interchangeable between the RRS and the Gabale. Photos indicate a slightly different design.

I use the RRS on my a7rii. I bought mine used so I didn't suffer from RRS' outrageous pricing. It is a very well designed and manufactured item. I'm sure Gabele is most appreciative of RRS' R&D efforts.

I am always using either the RRS plate or the Sony battery grip, so I can leave the battery door permanently attached to the plate. One nice unintended feature of the RRS plate is you can release the camera's battery clip and the battery is captured by the battery door in a position where it no longer makes electrical contact with the camera and will not discharge when not needed.

Edited on Jan 29, 2019 at 09:16 AM · View previous versions

Jan 28, 2019 at 06:25 PM
pizdets17
• • • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · A7R III L-plate...cheap/solid or buy/cry?

Wishful thinking I guess. SO stupid that its $115 for the bunny ear lol

Jan 28, 2019 at 06:40 PM
Scoobert
• •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · A7R III L-plate...cheap/solid or buy/cry?

akclimber wrote:
Now that looks like a great design. Just ordered one try. Thanks!

If you haven't ordered yet take a look at the pre-order for the half cage.

They made many improvements based on customer input on the L bracket. It's only 10 bucks more (during pre order). You can remove every part to make it a base only, L bracket or half cage.

Jan 28, 2019 at 09:38 PM
1       2       3      

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.