p.35 #1 · p.35 #1 · Alt forum Nikon Z resource, discussion and image thread

NZ7_0610 by Suteetat S, on Flickr

Z7 with Leica 35/1.4 FLE @f1.4

Feb 01, 2019 at 07:08 AM
lhmf

Upload & Sell: Off
p.35 #2 · p.35 #2 · Alt forum Nikon Z resource, discussion and image thread

suteetat wrote:
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4892/39983180083_956d631125_o.jpgNZ7_0610 by Suteetat S, on Flickr

Z7 with Leica 35/1.4 FLE @f1.4@

Hi,
it looks very good for an Summilux 35mm adapted on an Z7. Is it out of the camera or is it post-processed. And if, what did you do (if it is not a secret ?

Feb 01, 2019 at 07:14 AM
suteetat
• • • •
p.35 #3 · p.35 #3 · Alt forum Nikon Z resource, discussion and image thread

lhmf wrote:
Hi,
it looks very good for an Summilux 35mm adapted on an Z7. Is it out of the camera or is it post-processed. And if, what did you do (if it is not a secret ?

I shot in raw and made some adjustments in Capture One and PS, mainly WB, curve, clarity,
white and black level, shadow and hilight.
I started using Capture One a few weeks ago but still find a few functions eaiser to use on PS so often use Capture One then imported as PSD into PS for a little final touch.

Feb 01, 2019 at 07:52 AM
lhmf

p.35 #4 · p.35 #4 · Alt forum Nikon Z resource, discussion and image thread

I shot in raw and made some adjustments in Capture One and PS, mainly WB, curve, clarity,
white and black level, shadow and hilight.
I started using Capture One a few weeks ago but still find a few functions eaiser to use on PS so often use Capture One then imported as PSD into PS for a little final touch.

Hi,
good to hear. With my Sony I had to make a LCC in Capture One (Lens Cast Calibration) to avoid coloured corners. So - with the Z7 - the corners & bokeh look much more like M (9) not so harsh and the color cast look like nearly gone.

With C1 I have the same work flow. Especially when it comes to printing, I export the pictures to PSD but the sharpness is sometimes better in C1 than in PS with Nik-Filters pre/oouput-sahrpening - but that can be discussed

Thanks for reply
Michael

Feb 01, 2019 at 08:22 AM
Bohemien
• • •
p.35 #5 · p.35 #5 · Alt forum Nikon Z resource, discussion and image thread

Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 35mm f/2.4 wide open, slightly cropped (maybe 80% of original frame). This lens focuses incredibly close, I was maybe 15cm away from the plant.

Markus

EDIT: ok, database says MFD is 19cm

Feb 01, 2019 at 08:56 AM
Bohemien
• • •
p.35 #6 · p.35 #6 · Alt forum Nikon Z resource, discussion and image thread

Today I received my second set of adapters for the Z, this time from K&F concept. Thought I'd throw together a little (unscientific) comparison:

I'm comparing the Kipon and K&F adapters for M42 lenses to the Nikon Z mount. Both feel well-made and sturdy. The Kipon weighs approx. 90g, the K&F 140g. The Kipon sits a tiny bit tighter on the Z side of things. On both, the M42 mount can be loosened with 3 screws and turned - I had to adjust the Kipon on delivery, as the mark indicating the upright position (on the lens) was turned 90 degrees, with the K&F, no adjustment needed. The Kipon is double the price of the K&F.

I like and will keep both adapters, not bad having a spare one. I prefer the finish of the Kipon, but don't feel any difference in quality with the K&F. There is one slight difference in image quality - see following post. Here, I'll show you some photos of the adapters themselves. In all photos, the Kipon is on the left, K&F on the right.

I've read some complaints on the Net about K&F adapters being shiny on the inside, thus adding unwanted reflections to the photo - I can't confirm that. The pictures show that on the K&F, the M42 mount is shiny, but the lens completely covers that part when screwed in. On the photo that shows the adapters from the bottom, there seems to be some slightly shine on half of the thread inside the K&F, but in reality, it looks much less worse.

Bottom line: both are good and usable, the Kipon having a slight edge in design IMHO, and a slightly more accurate quality when it comes to infinity focus, as I will show in the following post. Both are good value for money, you'll just have to decide if you want to spend the premium on the Kipon.

Markus

M42 side of the adapters

Z side

Close-up of the interior finish (left: Kipon, right: K&F)

Feb 01, 2019 at 09:45 AM
Bohemien
• • •
p.35 #7 · p.35 #7 · Alt forum Nikon Z resource, discussion and image thread

So here's part II of my little comparison of the Kipon and K&F M42-Nikon Z adapters.

I noticed a difference in infinity focusing ability when using a 50mm f/1.8 lens (Pentacon) wide open. The following photos are all shot ca. 300m away from the building, the antenna(s) shown were in the image center, Capture 1 RAW processing with no adjustments, no output sharpening applied. Notice the difference in sharpness - the Kipon adapter would let me focus exactly on the antenna (at infinity), while that wasn't possible with the K&F, focus sits slightly in front of the building (there's a tree not shown here that was in focus).

Of course, the difference is minuscule, and at smaller apertures photos with both adapters are equally sharp. Also, in total I'd say the sharpness is quite impressive for a 50mm shot wide open at a distance of 300m.

The second comparison was shot with the CZJ 135mm f/3.5, also wide open. I didn't even bother to mark which side is which adapter, I don't see a difference.

As I rarely shoot wide open at infinity focus, for me the difference in the 50mm shots is insignificant, but something to maybe consider when shopping for these adapters, as the Kipon comes at double the price of the K&F. Of course, there's also a possibility of sample variation, you never know.

Markus

50mm f/1.8 wide open

135mm f/3.5 wide open

Feb 01, 2019 at 10:06 AM
suteetat
• • • •
p.35 #8 · p.35 #8 · Alt forum Nikon Z resource, discussion and image thread

NZ7_1084 by
Suteetat S, on Flickr

Z7 with Leica 35/2 8E. I still find 35mm and street photography the most difficult for me to grasp but
I still like to go out and try it here and there
1/40s, f2 iso 1600

Feb 02, 2019 at 10:00 AM
Hardcore
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.35 #9 · p.35 #9 · Alt forum Nikon Z resource, discussion and image thread

Thanks for this Markus. I have my K&F both m42 - nik z & Leica M - nik z adapters in the mail. Apart from infinity focus though, you don't notice any sharpness difference in the m42 adapter with the 50mm?

Corey

Bohemien wrote:
So here's part II of my little comparison of the Kipon and K&F M42-Nikon Z adapters.

I noticed a difference in infinity focusing ability when using a 50mm f/1.8 lens (Pentacon) wide open. The following photos are all shot ca. 300m away from the building, the antenna(s) shown were in the image center, Capture 1 RAW processing with no adjustments, no output sharpening applied. Notice the difference in sharpness - the Kipon adapter would let me focus exactly on the antenna (at infinity), while that wasn't possible with the K&F, focus sits slightly in front of the building (there's a tree
...Show more

Feb 02, 2019 at 10:27 AM
Bohemien
• • •
p.35 #10 · p.35 #10 · Alt forum Nikon Z resource, discussion and image thread

Hardcore wrote:
Thanks for this Markus. I have my K&F both m42 - nik z & Leica M - nik z adapters in the mail. Apart from infinity focus though, you don't notice any sharpness difference in the m42 adapter with the 50mm?

No difference at all! In the same original photo, there's a tree maybe 100m away that is in focus, so it's really only a problem of shooting a 50mm lens at f/1.8, aiming at a subject 300m away, which you normally wouldn't do anyway (no difference at f/5.6). Also the lack of sharpness is only really visible at 100% magnification-check out the 135mm shots above, I can't spot any difference, and these are at f/3.5. Too bad it gets dark far too early these days, can't really get out and test more on some interesting subjects. But I'll be in London for a weekend soon, I think I'll only take M42 lenses this time.

I also ordered the Leica M adapter (by Kipon), as my dad is willing to borrow me his lenses-he only ever uses his phone for photography these days.

Markus

Feb 02, 2019 at 11:17 AM
Hardcore
• • • •
p.35 #11 · p.35 #11 · Alt forum Nikon Z resource, discussion and image thread

Bohemien wrote:
No difference at all! In the same original photo, there's a tree maybe 100m away that is in focus, so it's really only a problem of shooting a 50mm lens at f/1.8, aiming at a subject 300m away, which you normally wouldn't do anyway (no difference at f/5.6). Also the lack of sharpness is only really visible at 100% magnification-check out the 135mm shots above, I can't spot any difference, and these are at f/3.5. Too bad it gets dark far too early these days, can't really get out and test more on some interesting subjects. But I'll be in
...Show more

I'll test out both adapters when I get them. I have the 7artisans F1.1 and the Rikenon 55mm F1.4 that I will test. Hopefully they work well.

On that topic, here are a few photos of the 7artisans F1.1, the Rikenon 55mm F1.4 & the Nikon 58mm F1.4.

Feb 02, 2019 at 12:10 PM
Bohemien
• • •
p.35 #12 · p.35 #12 · Alt forum Nikon Z resource, discussion and image thread

One just can't have enough lenses in the 50mm range...

50mm f/1.1, nice! Looking forward to seeing some samples.

Feb 02, 2019 at 12:24 PM
Hardcore
• • • •
p.35 #13 · p.35 #13 · Alt forum Nikon Z resource, discussion and image thread

Bohemien wrote:
One just can't have enough lenses in the 50mm range... .

It's only the start I'm afraid

Feb 02, 2019 at 01:05 PM
joakim
• • • •
p.35 #14 · p.35 #14 · Alt forum Nikon Z resource, discussion and image thread

Leica .95 Noctilux

Feb 02, 2019 at 02:27 PM
Hardcore
• • • •
p.35 #15 · p.35 #15 · Alt forum Nikon Z resource, discussion and image thread

joakim wrote:
Leica .95 Noctilux

My dream lens! Nice shots!

Feb 02, 2019 at 05:52 PM
Bohemien
• • •
p.35 #16 · p.35 #16 · Alt forum Nikon Z resource, discussion and image thread

I did a new set of tests, wanting to confirm I hadn't measured bulls***t yesterday. Aimed at the same building, approx. 300m away, and shot wide open. Had to focus to infinity in all cases. The antennas were in the center of the frame, I focused using VF magnification. Same exposure settings on all photos, brightness changing slightly. All pictures were rendered from RAW in Capture One 12, no adjustments made, no output sharpening.

Lenses used:
(1) Pentacon 50mm f/1.8
(2) Carl Zeiss Jena Pancolar 50mm f/1.8

Adapters used: Kipon and K&F M42 to Z mount

As you can see, with both lenses the Kipon adapter delivers a slightly sharper photo - when viewed at 100%, that is. The third picture shows how the Zeiss sharpens when stopping down, I used the K&F adapter on this one. Of course the photo also shows that the Zeiss is not the sharpest lens in my bag, but I think the difference in the comparisons wide open is still valid.

Markus

Pentacon 50mm wide open, different adapters

Pancolar 50mm wide open, different adapters

Pancolar 50mm on the K&F adapter, stopping down

Feb 03, 2019 at 10:05 AM
Bohemien
• • •
p.35 #17 · p.35 #17 · Alt forum Nikon Z resource, discussion and image thread

And finally, I wanted to show you the K&F to Nikon Z adapter with three lenses (see text in photo). Same setting as before, all lenses wide open (at f/2). I guess my Nikkors are sharper/more contrasty than the Pentacon and Zeiss offerings.

Note that all three lenses focus just beyond infinity with my adapter, so no hard stop there, sadly.

Markus

(Helios shot has same size in spite of being 58mm because of the same crop on all photos.)

Feb 03, 2019 at 10:08 AM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.35 #18 · p.35 #18 · Alt forum Nikon Z resource, discussion and image thread

Markus, thanks for sharing the adapter information. I am quite happy with Kipon adapter quality and I especially like the total black finish. You can always shim your adapter to have perfect infinity. Having a perfect infinity is very handy in filed and you can also rely on focus scale to do the hyper-focal focus or do night WO shooting at star.

continue with 21SEM and Z7

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4880/40019222373_307eb3d8ee_h.jpg
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7816/46984018261_27230f9e24_h.jpg
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4918/46984020511_c4f31c22ce_h.jpg

Feb 04, 2019 at 05:13 PM
bokehnon

p.35 #19 · p.35 #19 · Alt forum Nikon Z resource, discussion and image thread

Picked up one of these new lenses from Voigtlander and had a short chance to try it out over the weekend. It's a really compact lens that weighs 170gm and is just a few millimetres longer than the seriously compact Voigtlander Skopar 35/2.5

Looks really good from what I've seen so far. Wide open it has some classic character and swirly bokeh that can be invoked. Stopped down it gets sharp and in particular from what I've seen so far the corners sharpen up faster than some other m-mount lenses I've tried on the Z7, so should work ok as a landscape lens. Chromatic aberration looks reasonably well controlled too.

So I think this will replace my Zeiss 35/2.8 C as my compact lens choice on the Z when I want to travel light. As usual with these widish angle m-mount lenses, there is some vignetting but easy to correct in Lightroom.

A couple of examples from some quick shots last weekend:

Voigtlander 35/2 at F/2

Voigtlander 35/2 at F/2

Feb 04, 2019 at 06:24 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.35 #20 · p.35 #20 · Alt forum Nikon Z resource, discussion and image thread

zhangyue wrote:
Markus, thanks for sharing the adapter information. I am quite happy with Kipon adapter quality and I especially like the total black finish. You can always shim your adapter to have perfect infinity. Having a perfect infinity is very handy in filed and you can also rely on focus scale to do the hyper-focal focus or do night WO shooting at star.

continue with 21SEM and Z7

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4880/40019222373_307eb3d8ee_h.jpg
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7816/46984018261_27230f9e24_h.jpg
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4918/46984020511_c4f31c22ce_h.jpg

Awesome shots Michael !!!

Feb 05, 2019 at 03:40 AM
1       2       3              34      
       36              49       50       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              34      
       36              49       50       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.