Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3              251       252       end
  

"Official" Nikon 500 f/5.6E PF Discussion and Image Thread

  
 
arbitrage
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · "Official" Nikon 500 f/5.6E PF Discussion and Image Thread


FWIW...
https://nikonrumors.com/2018/06/14/nikon-announces-the-development-of-a-af-s-nikkor-500mm-f-5-6e-pf-ed-vr-lens.aspx/

Further details supposedly "later this year". But this confirms what was rumoured previously.

I'm not sure how I feel about this lens....I'm happy with my 300PF with 1.7TC which gives me a 500 f/6.7 lens and surely will be a smaller package than this lens will be. Still I also like to use Auto AF mode for fast BIF and I can't use that mode with the 300/1.7....that alone would be the reason I'd consider this lens...but I'm still not sure...if it is significantly smaller/lighter/easier to handhold and has faster AF than the 200-500 then that will help make a case for it....

************EDIT*****EDIT************
Made this to be the official discussion and image thread....

Nikon Press Release Images below....










































Edited on Aug 27, 2018 at 01:48 PM · View previous versions



Jun 14, 2018 at 07:26 AM
TimMunsey
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · "Official" Nikon 500 f/5.6E PF Discussion and Image Thread


Disappointed, I think the 600mm F/5.6 PF is far more attractive.

Tim



Jun 14, 2018 at 07:29 AM
arbitrage
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · "Official" Nikon 500 f/5.6E PF Discussion and Image Thread


TimMunsey wrote:
Disappointed, I think the 600mm F/5.6 PF is far more attractive.

Tim


Yes, that would be a little more unique as we already have 500/5.6 in the 200-500. However, a 600/5.6 front element puts that lens into $7000 territory like the Canon 400/4 DOII and although the 400DOII is a relatively lightweight lens it is still not an ideal lightweight BIF lens. But a 600/5.6 PF would be a very attractive lens no doubt.

Hopefully the 600/5.6 PF will come out eventually as we did see the patent for it. I think the 3rd patent for the 400/5.6 PF lens would be a bad idea to produce as the 300PF/1.4TC is as good as I could see anyone needing even for the toughest BIF subjects.



Jun 14, 2018 at 07:35 AM
TimMunsey
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · "Official" Nikon 500 f/5.6E PF Discussion and Image Thread


arbitrage wrote:
Yes, that would be a little more unique as we already have 500/5.6 in the 200-500. However, a 600/5.6 front element puts that lens into $7000 territory like the Canon 400/4 DOII and although the 400DOII is a relatively lightweight lens it is still not an ideal lightweight BIF lens. But a 600/5.6 PF would be a very attractive lens no doubt.

Hopefully the 600/5.6 PF will come out eventually as we did see the patent for it. I think the 3rd patent for the 400/5.6 PF lens would be a bad idea to produce as the 300PF/1.4TC is as good
...Show more

I was thinking more for static subject use, light enough to carry and with a 1.4TC make a usable 800mm F/8.
For BIF I like faster aperture, F/2.8 or F/4. I can get BIF with the 200-500mm, but not instantly like the 300mm F/2.8.



Jun 14, 2018 at 07:44 AM
Gary Irwin
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · "Official" Nikon 500 f/5.6E PF Discussion and Image Thread


I'd consider a 600/5.6 PF but a 500/5.6 PF is too close to the 200-500VR IMO. If sells for anywhere near $5k I'd rather have the flexibility of the 180-400.


Jun 14, 2018 at 08:19 AM
technic
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · "Official" Nikon 500 f/5.6E PF Discussion and Image Thread


arbitrage wrote:
Yes, that would be a little more unique as we already have 500/5.6 in the 200-500. However, a 600/5.6 front element puts that lens into $7000 territory like the Canon 400/4 DOII and although the 400DOII is a relatively lightweight lens it is still not an ideal lightweight BIF lens. But a 600/5.6 PF would be a very attractive lens no doubt.

Hopefully the 600/5.6 PF will come out eventually as we did see the patent for it. I think the 3rd patent for the 400/5.6 PF lens would be a bad idea to produce as the 300PF/1.4TC is as good
...Show more

Yes, 5.6/500PF has two competitors with similar focal length and aperture in the 300PF + 1.7xTC and the 200-500. Of course those are both quite different in many other ways but it will be interesting to see where the 500PF lands regarding image quality, AF speed, size/weight and price compared to these other options.

I think a 5.6/400PF could make sense for birders because in most areas 300mm is really too short and 400mm is a better starting point, assuming the price isn't much higher than the 300PF. A bit brighter like 4.5/400mm would be welcome though if they can build that for a reasonable price.

Edited on Jun 14, 2018 at 08:25 AM · View previous versions



Jun 14, 2018 at 08:23 AM
arbitrage
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · "Official" Nikon 500 f/5.6E PF Discussion and Image Thread


TimMunsey wrote:
I was thinking more for static subject use, light enough to carry and with a 1.4TC make a usable 800mm F/8.
For BIF I like faster aperture, F/2.8 or F/4. I can get BIF with the 200-500mm, but not instantly like the 300mm F/2.8.


Yes, for more static subjects and BIF up to a certain speed, I think it would be very attractive. I again liken it to my Canon 400DOII which is probably my favourite Canon lens and the last one I will sell.



Jun 14, 2018 at 08:24 AM
Gary Irwin
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · "Official" Nikon 500 f/5.6E PF Discussion and Image Thread


arbitrage wrote:
I again liken it to my Canon 400DOII which is probably my favourite Canon lens and the last one I will sell.


+1 THIS (400/4) is what Nikon should be developing.



Jun 14, 2018 at 08:31 AM
arbitrage
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · "Official" Nikon 500 f/5.6E PF Discussion and Image Thread


Gary Irwin wrote:
I'd consider a 600/5.6 PF but a 500/5.6 PF is too close to the 200-500VR IMO. If sells for anywhere near $5k I'd rather have the flexibility of the 180-400.


My wild guess is a 500/5.6 PF will sell in the high $3Ks. A 600 f/5.6 could get up to 400 DO II levels at $7000



Jun 14, 2018 at 08:31 AM
arbitrage
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · "Official" Nikon 500 f/5.6E PF Discussion and Image Thread


Gary Irwin wrote:
+1 THIS (400/4) is what Nikon should be developing.


Would you rather a $7K USD 400/4 PF or the 180-400?

I know my choice as I just sold my Canon 200-400...

Edited on Jun 14, 2018 at 09:36 AM · View previous versions



Jun 14, 2018 at 08:32 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

arbitrage
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · "Official" Nikon 500 f/5.6E PF Discussion and Image Thread


technic wrote:
Yes, 5.6/500PF has two competitors with similar focal length and aperture in the 300PF + 1.7xTC and the 200-500. Of course those are both quite different in many other ways but it will be interesting to see where the 500PF lands regarding image quality, AF speed, size/weight and price compared to these other options.

I think a 5.6/400PF could make sense for birders because in most areas 300mm is really too short and 400mm is a better starting point, assuming the price isn't much higher than the 300PF. A bit brighter like 4.5/400mm would be welcome though if they can
...Show more

The one benefit that I could see with a 400 f/5.6 versus the 300PF + 1.4TC is that because I'm always putting TCs on lenses I would only need a 1.4TC (much better quality) to get to 560 f//8 instead of the questionable 2xTC I sometimes use on the 300PF to get 600 f/8. Using the 1.7TC to get a likely useable 680mm f/9.5 could be nice also but AF may get questionable....My 200-500 can AF at f/9.5 with the 1.7 but I don't bother as it's IQ and AF is questionable.

Still, even the 2xTC on the 300PF does fairly well sometimes...







Jun 14, 2018 at 08:39 AM
OwlsEyes
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · "Official" Nikon 500 f/5.6E PF Discussion and Image Thread


I am on the other side of the preference spectrum. A 500mm f/5.6 PF would be perfect for me. If the lens is lighter than my 200-400VR, I'd buy the 500mm pf and pair it with my 300mm pf and a 70-200. If you pack a D500 and D850 you have a powerful mix of gear that is light enough for hiking distances and small enough for air travel.

600mm is too long for my shooting preferences... really a specialized optic for those who spend most of their time shooting small birds.

bruce



Jun 14, 2018 at 09:17 AM
Imagemaster
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · "Official" Nikon 500 f/5.6E PF Discussion and Image Thread


Far less people would buy a 600/5.6 PF than a 500/5.6 PF simply because it would still be too heavy and expensive for too many.

Fewer people would buy a 400/5.6 than the existing 300/4 PF because many 300/4 PF owners love shooting at 300mm, and still get great results with a 1.4x TC on the 300.







Jun 14, 2018 at 09:19 AM
CanadaMark
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · "Official" Nikon 500 f/5.6E PF Discussion and Image Thread


Makes sense along with the rumored 600/5.6 PF. Also makes sense that they might want some super-tele's that are actually somewhat reasonable to handle with a future mirrorless body.

Pricing would probably have to be somewhere between the $2000 300/4 PF and Canon's $7000 400/4 DO...quite the range haha. I'd guess between $3299 and $4499, depending on what build quality/AF motor/coatings they went with and how unique or valuable they think it is. Currently Nikon charges a ~47% premium for the 300/4 VR PF over the older AF-S 300/4, and we've seen they can give us 'consumer build' 500/5.6 for $1400 in the form of the 200-500. Take that $1400, add 50% for PF and another 50% for 'premium' prime build and you get around $3150. Not very scientific is it haha...we will see I guess.



Jun 14, 2018 at 09:39 AM
Gary Irwin
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · "Official" Nikon 500 f/5.6E PF Discussion and Image Thread


arbitrage wrote:
Would you rather a $7K USD 400/4 PF or the 180-400?

I know my choice as I just sold my Canon 200-400...


Good question...I only wish I had the option to choose. As things are, I'm thinking more and more about the 180-400 because it can do so much.



Jun 14, 2018 at 09:50 AM
fpoet
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · "Official" Nikon 500 f/5.6E PF Discussion and Image Thread


Even tough I have not yet started to shoot with Nikon gear (itís on the way), I will watch closely what this 500mm f/5.6 can do, as I prefer to use primes and avoid TCs. I assume it will be cheaper than the Sigma 500mm f/4, which I see as the next 'reasonably' priced option for the 500mm FL.

Edited on Jun 14, 2018 at 01:28 PM · View previous versions



Jun 14, 2018 at 11:04 AM
trenchmonkey
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · "Official" Nikon 500 f/5.6E PF Discussion and Image Thread


I'd lay down some coin for a 400 f4 PF or a 600 f5.6 PF...
got 500 covered several ways f4 > f5.6 thank you.



Jun 14, 2018 at 12:08 PM
mike clemens
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · "Official" Nikon 500 f/5.6E PF Discussion and Image Thread


In this "artists conception", the order is
500 f/4 - hypothetical 500 PF f/5.6 - 300 PF f/4

Assuming

1) the front element is the same size as the 200-500 f/5.6
2) the length of the lens scales up linearly from the 300 PF 4.

If it focused super fast like a pro prime, it would be highly desirable.









Jun 14, 2018 at 01:54 PM
arbitrage
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · "Official" Nikon 500 f/5.6E PF Discussion and Image Thread


Gary Irwin wrote:
Good question...I only wish I had the option to choose. As things are, I'm thinking more and more about the 180-400 because it can do so much.


I know the feeling, I lusted over the Canon version for some time before finally buying it. I used it on a lot of overseas trips and it was perfect for most of those giving me a very versatile set of focal lengths (as I was happy using it up to 784mm when needed) and close to prime like IQ and AF.

But in the past couple years my use for it dwindled and better lightweight options arose that came close to matching it in IQ/AF like the 100-400II and the 400DOII. So that is why I sold it in the end. Of course my shift towards Nikon and Sony gave me even more reason to sell it.



Jun 14, 2018 at 06:37 PM
Danner
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · "Official" Nikon 500 f/5.6E PF Discussion and Image Thread


mike clemens wrote:
In this "artists conception", the order is
500 f/4 - hypothetical 500 PF f/5.6 - 300 PF f/4

Assuming

1) the front element is the same size as the 200-500 f/5.6
2) the length of the lens scales up linearly from the 300 PF 4.

If it focused super fast like a pro prime, it would be highly desirable.



My guess is that the 500PF will be considerably shorter than that (hopefully).



Jun 14, 2018 at 07:58 PM
1
       2       3              251       252       end






FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3              251       252       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password



This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.