1       2       3              24      
       26              73       74       end

Archive 2017 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

Isaacheus
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.25 #1 · p.25 #1 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

Mikehit wrote:
And that's the thing - business crises are often multiple factors. And in 'the case you heard about', it sounds as if card failure was the only thing that happened the business may well have survived.

And that is where discussions like this get tortuous and heated because different people look on it as a primary camera (it is critical) or a second camera (no so bad) or occasional (don't really care) and don't really state the viewpoint they are looking at it.

Would a professional rely on a 6D2 as a 'primary camera'? I doubt it because the 5DIII/5DIV are probably
...Show more

Slightly off the topic, but are there any reasons Canon don't offer a camera with dual card slots and some tilt screen, in ff? To me, that's a far more attractive combination.

Jul 06, 2017 at 05:51 AM
Mikehit
• • •
p.25 #2 · p.25 #2 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

Isaacheus wrote:
Slightly off the topic, but are there any reasons Canon don't offer a camera with dual card slots and some tilt screen, in ff? To me, that's a far more attractive combination.

I have no idea but I am sure there are very good reasons considering that things like this have cropped up every time a camera is released over the last 5 years. It must be on their radar and they have either discounted it or had different priorities. I can imagine if they added a second slot and a tilty screen and had the spec-bators saying 'what good is that without an improvement in the sensor'.

The tilty-flippy is often phrased in terms of 'risk to weatherproofing' or 'too prone to the punishment a full-time or gives their equipment'. But AFAICT this is all post-fact justification rather than anything I have seen coming from Canon.

Jul 06, 2017 at 07:01 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.25 #3 · p.25 #3 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

Hopefully not already posted.

Jul 06, 2017 at 08:51 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.25 #4 · p.25 #4 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

ShotByTom wrote:
In 17 years of shooting digital, I have never had a memory card fail while shooting and have never known anyone who has. In fact, I have only had one memory card become un-readable. I know, you'll say it happens all the time...but, in reality, it doesn't. We have 285 cameras in operation with our city agencies and have thousands of SD and CF cards in use, and we have millions of images stored. I don't know of any memory cards that simply stopped working while shooting. We've had some that were damaged, but not fail.

However, for weddings, If a
...Show more

Do you not wear a seat belt because it's unlikely you'll get into a car accident? I'm not trying to be snarky, but any number of similar analogies would apply. If that card fails with hundreds of images on it, yeah you'll know pretty quick, but you might have lost hundreds of images, maybe even the bride & groom kissing or some other absolutely critical moment. You only need to lose a few shots to completely ruin the job. Just not worth the risk. If someone is shooting weddings for a living, the cost between a 6D and 5DM4 or similar is nothing, and probably even a tax write off. Anyways, thinking that something isn't going to happen because it hasn't happened to you yet is a very risky approach - that is what everyone who anything bad happens to thinks up until it does.

When I get asked by friends and colleagues for wedding shooter recommendations, one of the things I tell them to ask about is what their back up solutions and redundancies are. If their strategy is to just not worry about it because it hasn't been a problem for them yet, I would never use that particular photographer. It's one of the easiest things to do, so IMHO there is no good excuse for choosing not to protect the shots from a once in a lifetime event that you're being paid to cover.

I had a card fail on me and I lost about half of my photos form a Whale Shark diving tour. After a 4 hour boat ride I got extremely sick on, and the very small season in which something like that an even be done in a couple remote parts of the world, I will almost certainly never do it again. Just one example of where I wish I had a camera with backup slots for an important event - if I was getting paid for that day I might have been sued.

Jul 06, 2017 at 09:22 AM
level1photog
• •
p.25 #5 · p.25 #5 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

CanadaMark wrote:
Do you not wear a seat belt because it's unlikely you'll get into a car accident? I'm not trying to be snarky, but any number of similar analogies would apply. If that card fails with hundreds of images on it, yeah you'll know pretty quick, but you might have lost hundreds of images, maybe even the bride & groom kissing or some other absolutely critical moment. You only need to lose a few shots to completely ruin the job. Just not worth the risk. If someone is shooting weddings for a living, the cost between a 6D and 5DM4 or
...Show more

I absolutely agree. I used to shot with 2 x Canon 6D when I first started doing wedding. Buying a Canon 6DII would save me money, but if you price yourself as a legitimate business, the cost is not significant and you can do a tax write off when you buy a 5D IV.

Although I've never have a card failure shooting with an 6D, there are alot of stories about card failure, and stolen camera gears from the trunk. I try to learn from other's mistakes by having dual SD, and one card on me if I have to leave my gears in my car's trunk. This extend to other gears such as flash/strobe, lens, backup storage, etc so I never have to discuss with my couples why they don't have their wedding pictures.

Jul 06, 2017 at 10:18 AM
ShotByTom
• • •
p.25 #6 · p.25 #6 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

15Bit wrote:
I also never have, though i am not exactly a high volume shooter. I did once get a corrupted RAW. After running some tests on the card i couldn't find anything wrong, and i am still using that card today without any further troubles.

I agree that the chances are extremely low, but for everything there is a risk-consequence balance and for a small number of things the consequence side is very heavy in my view. Similarly, in 21 years of working in research labs I have not experienced an incident that could have seriously injured me. I still put on
...Show more

This could go on and on, but none of it is relevant. I'm pretty sure your safety glasses don't cost $3400, and it doesn't cost $3400 to put a seat belt on. As further proof that I must not be a pro, make sure you're sitting down for this...I don't use canon speedlights, ProPhoto strobes or Pocket Wizards either!!

There are many ways to manage risk besides spending $1500 just to get dual cards. All of the features gained by the 5D IV can be worked around and I am able to get the job done. For the price of 1 Mark IV I can get 2 refurbished 6Ds and 2 L lenses.

The bottom line is that they are both fantastic cameras and will do just fine with weddings, but you have to be able to prepare for card failure, even though it will likely never happen.

Jul 06, 2017 at 11:58 AM
pliukait
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.25 #7 · p.25 #7 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

Just for grins I looked at the thread that came about when the 5DII came out: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/688320

You know, folks were grumbling about how Canon could announce such a product.... recycled autofocus system, gapless/non-gapless sensor, Nikon is going to eat Canon for lunch, etc.

Sort of the same kind of grumbling that is occurring now with the 6DII.

In this thread: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1494266 the 5DII is touted as one of the best Canon cameras by some folks.

As the Ricky Nelson song goes:
But it's all right now, I learned my lesson well.
You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself

Canon can't please everyone, no manufacturer can.

Jul 06, 2017 at 09:23 PM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.25 #8 · p.25 #8 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

CanadaMark wrote:
Do you not wear a seat belt because it's unlikely you'll get into a car accident? I'm not trying to be snarky, but any number of similar analogies would apply. If that card fails with hundreds of images on it, yeah you'll know pretty quick, but you might have lost hundreds of images, maybe even the bride & groom kissing or some other absolutely critical moment. You only need to lose a few shots to completely ruin the job. Just not worth the risk. If someone is shooting weddings for a living, the cost between a 6D and 5DM4 or
...Show more

Totally agree. It's literally crazy to not be concerned about card failure as a wedding shooter.

In fact, it's not just card failure. You could drop or lose one. I dropped one once and only noticed as I always check before leaving.

With a commercial shoot you can do it again. With a wedding you can't. Many lower price wedding shooters in the uk will choose a 6d since they aren't paid much at all. Canon really angered me with this move - they're putting their profits ahead of customer satisfaction. Not everyone can afford a 5d4.

Jul 07, 2017 at 02:11 AM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.25 #9 · p.25 #9 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

CanadaMark wrote:
...Show more

Honestly I don't understand the mentality of not needing a backup or second card on important jobs such as weddings and events particularly when the option is available. I have had two SD cards jam on separate cameras where the SD slot became unusable in each case. The SD card seemed to be corrupted by the time I removed the card. Both of these cameras only had single SD cards and were unusable until I had them sent in and repaired. The SD slot mechanism is quite fragile and a slight misalignment can jam easily. All it takes for the SD to slightly split and then jam. Had I had a dual SD slot, no issue and continue shooting.

Recently a close friend had her Nikon D7200 during a important clothe shoot for her daughter had one of the SD slots fail, and she just continued to shoot on the second slot. This allowed her the time fix the D7200 when it suited.

Jul 07, 2017 at 02:24 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.25 #10 · p.25 #10 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

There is always the 5D III, it costs the same as a 6D II would if it had dual cards....

The 5D III has better AF too.

If I was a pro wedding shooter I would choose the 5D III over the 6D II any day, even if the 6D II had dual cards.

Jul 07, 2017 at 02:27 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.25 #11 · p.25 #11 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

Some things.

AF is snappy, the points cluster in the centre 3rd of the viewfinder, far spread is very close to the old 6d but there is far more of them and they are in a solid rectangle so the extremes of that area is far better covered.

I couldnt easily get a lock on a subject with 6d , the 6d2 locked quickly (far right point, 35L mk2)

viewfinder grid is an odd 5/3 line layout that isnt going to help me at all.

HDR is still jpg only
4k timelapse is in movie mode

Jul 07, 2017 at 02:52 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.25 #12 · p.25 #12 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

http://www.zarphag.com/6d2/6dpush3.JPG

am i doping it right?

Jul 07, 2017 at 02:56 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.25 #13 · p.25 #13 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

RobDickinson wrote:

http://www.zarphag.com/6d2/6dpush3.jpg

am i doping it right?

Yes, "Brightness" in DPP is exposure compensation.

The shadow noise looks similar to the 6D.

Jul 07, 2017 at 03:00 AM
Isaacheus
• •
p.25 #14 · p.25 #14 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

RobDickinson wrote:
Some things.

AF is snappy, the points cluster in the centre 3rd of the viewfinder, far spread is very close to the old 6d but there is far more of them and they are in a solid rectangle so the extremes of that area is far better covered.

I couldnt easily get a lock on a subject with 6d , the 6d2 locked quickly (far right point, 35L mk2)

viewfinder grid is an odd 5/3 line layout that isnt going to help me at all.

HDR is still jpg only
4k timelapse is in movie mode

Able to head out tonight for some astro? I'm in Wellington at the moment so can't tell what the clouds are doing back home
Really keen to know how it performs at night

Jul 07, 2017 at 03:03 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.25 #15 · p.25 #15 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

Its raining.

100% crop iso 40,000

http://www.zarphag.com/6d2/40000.JPG

Jul 07, 2017 at 03:07 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.25 #16 · p.25 #16 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

full size 95% jpg at ISO 1600
I switched off all processing I could find in DPP

http://zarphag.com/6d2/mogglet1600.jpg

Edited on Jul 07, 2017 at 03:15 AM · View previous versions

Jul 07, 2017 at 03:13 AM
Isaacheus
• •
p.25 #17 · p.25 #17 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

Ah that sucks. Are you on a time restriction to test it out?

Any chance of seeing how well it pushes the shadows also?

Nice cat BTW, ☺️

RobDickinson wrote:

Its raining.

100% crop iso 40,000

http://www.zarphag.com/6d2/40000.jpg

Jul 07, 2017 at 03:14 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.25 #18 · p.25 #18 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

I posted a 3 stop push, i hate dpp so not really sure but went to town on the dpp->tiff conversion in adobe/acr and it looked good

Jul 07, 2017 at 03:18 AM
Isaacheus
• •
p.25 #19 · p.25 #19 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

Ah, missed that it was pushed 3 stops, iso 100?

RobDickinson wrote:
I posted a 3 stop push, i hate dpp so not really sure but went to town on the dpp->tiff conversion in adobe/acr and it looked good

Jul 07, 2017 at 03:38 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.25 #20 · p.25 #20 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

yep iso 100 for sure

Jul 07, 2017 at 03:41 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.