104       end

Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX

leonasj
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.103 #1 · p.103 #1 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX

viltrox ef-gfx pro ,handheld,jpeg.

© leonasj 2023

GFX100S    Viltrox Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM lens    40mm    f/4.0    1/18s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

Nov 28, 2023 at 12:57 PM
Makten
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.103 #2 · p.103 #2 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX

wushuliu wrote:
Maybe I misunderstand the intent of this thread and/or the purpose of owning a GFX? 'Crap' and 'worthless' sensor coverage aside - is there a taboo against cropping? Is something lost if I have only 90/76/60MP to work with from 102? Am I adding to carbon footprint by using FF and not spending 5-10k on GFX lenses? Does the 35mm Crop Mode (or crop in post) *not* look as good as using a FF camera?

Not at all, I have at least one lens that I use only cropped to 1:1 or 65:24 because it doesn't cover the sensor properly. But I wouldn't claim that it covers just because I like the results after cropping.

Don't confuse facts with taste.

Nov 28, 2023 at 02:31 PM
Kamukix 7

p.103 #3 · p.103 #3 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX

Here's a link to the 50mm f/1.2 tested on the 100S. https://youtu.be/eIchCdb8wc0?si=TN78AWdLljCvg3my

Another one, just for reference. https://youtu.be/d0BD-7BDFHM?si=O9XheWZ7Ai18TDrv

I hope it helps. 👍
chiron wrote:
How well do the Canon EF 50/1.2 and EF 85/1.2 adapt to the GFX via Fringer?

Nov 28, 2023 at 04:57 PM
wushuliu

p.103 #4 · p.103 #4 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX

bobby350z wrote:
There is no taboo. You free to use whatever you want but then why spend the money on the GFX? Why not keep shooting your FF or whatever else you have. I mostly use GF lenses and only use 3rd party where there is no GF available or is much slower. I had 45mm f2.8 GF but personally I didn't like it much against my FF Sigma 40mm f1.4. Others disagree, fine, so I sold mine and got Tamron 45mm f1.8 till I get 55mm f1.7 GF.

I have GF lens and Mamiya 645 lens and Pentax 645 lens and FF lenses. And I use them with the 100S. I enjoy trying out different lenses. I guess I must be an anomaly to see the 100S as being an *inclusive* camera, not an *exclusive* one - that is, it's ability to shoot both MF and FF is a plus. I have an S5II as well but am I supposed to carry that and the GFX with me if the GFX will do by itself?

I got the 100s used. I stretched to get it. As used prices on the GFX continue to go down there will be more folks like me who will want to use third party while saving up for Fuji lenses. There goes the neighborhood!

Nov 28, 2023 at 06:32 PM
rdeloe
• • • •
p.103 #5 · p.103 #5 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX

wushuliu wrote:
I have GF lens and Mamiya 645 lens and Pentax 645 lens and FF lenses. And I use them with the 100S. I enjoy trying out different lenses. I guess I must be an anomaly to see the 100S as being an *inclusive* camera, not an *exclusive* one - that is, it's ability to shoot both MF and FF is a plus. I have an S5II as well but am I supposed to carry that and the GFX with me if the GFX will do by itself?

I got the 100s used. I stretched to get it. As used prices on
...Show more

I have one GF lens for my 100s, the excellent GF 35-70mm f/4.5-5.6. I almost never use it. There's nothing wrong with it, but I prefer my adapted lenses.

Nov 28, 2023 at 08:46 PM
leonasj
• • •
p.103 #6 · p.103 #6 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX

bobby350z wrote:
There is no taboo. You free to use whatever you want but then why spend the money on the GFX? Why not keep shooting your FF or whatever else you have. I mostly use GF lenses and only use 3rd party where there is no GF available or is much slower. I had 45mm f2.8 GF but personally I didn't like it much against my FF Sigma 40mm f1.4. Others disagree, fine, so I sold mine and got Tamron 45mm f1.8 till I get 55mm f1.7 GF.

how good sigma 40/1.4 on gfx? or tamron 35/1.4?

Nov 29, 2023 at 03:42 AM
Makten
• • • • •
p.103 #7 · p.103 #7 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX

rdeloe wrote:
I have one GF lens for my 100s, the excellent GF 35-70mm f/4.5-5.6. I almost never use it. There's nothing wrong with it, but I prefer my adapted lenses.

But your adapted lenses have larger image circle than 55 mm, right?

Nov 29, 2023 at 03:49 AM
rdeloe
• • • •
p.103 #8 · p.103 #8 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX

Makten wrote:
But your adapted lenses have larger image circle than 55 mm, right?

Why do I feel like I'm stepping into the middle of an argument?

Yes, all are larger than 55mm. The smallest is 60mm. But that's because I need lenses that allow room for movements (tilt, shift). https://www.robdeloephotography.com/Pages/Lenses

Nov 29, 2023 at 06:57 AM
AZSteve
• •
p.103 #9 · p.103 #9 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX

I do wish people when referring to corner coverage would be careful to elaborate. One can imagine illumination of the corner with minimal definition, suitable for OOF foreground and sky but not detail in focus, and illumination (or partial illumination, corrigible in post) with good definition.

Nov 29, 2023 at 08:25 AM
Florent Chouffot

p.103 #10 · p.103 #10 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX

Hi!

I use adapted lenses on my GFX 50S II, and I would like to start sharing a few photos here.

First with the Sigma 70mm f/2.8 DG Macro Art. It's a very sharp lens that covers the full sensor from infinity to ~1:2 magnification.

Link to larger version

Link to larger version

Next with the Sigma 135mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art, a popular lens on the GFX platform and I can see why. It's a pleasure to get such results at f/1.8.

Link to larger version

Link to larger version

Edited on Feb 04, 2024 at 03:35 AM · View previous versions

Nov 29, 2023 at 09:55 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Fpessolano
• •
p.103 #11 · p.103 #11 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX

Today i spent more time with the CV 40/1.2 and unfortunately I have to somewhat agreed with what I read so far. The vignetting is always there and it cannot be fully removed without introducing color shift.
Cropping slightly (but to a 2:3 crop) and some photoshop is all that is needed, but this makes for something in between MF and FF. Something like a 45mm instead of 40.
The good thing is that the lens is optically better on my fuji than my nikon Z bodies.
Still very useable but i would not say it covers the entire MF frame.

Dec 04, 2023 at 06:22 AM
KENNNN

p.103 #12 · p.103 #12 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX

As an amateur photo enthusiast, I have been struggling in getting better cameras and lenses within budget for many years. Fortunately to me, this money-burning and time-consuming practice has somehow satisfied my exploring curiosity as a technical man and improved my photography skills. I believe many people in this forum have the same situation like me.

Like many others, at the beginning, I tried to adapt different types of 3rd party lenses to GFX since I got a second-handed 50s last year. Recently I switched to a new 100S, I of course will continue to do so. My practice involved 35mm full frame lenses, enlarging lenses, industrial line scan lenses, movie projection lenses, and traditional medium format as well as some large format lenses. I know there are shortcomings with all of these adaptions, but this cannot stop me doing so, because I choose to focus on the better part and ignore the worse, and I am not intending to make professional prints for business, and I am not a photography criticizer either.

Almost all of the 35mm full frame lenses I used are vintage manual focus ones, except Tamron 15-30, 45, 85 are relatively modern glasses, even with which GFX will produce images with obvious CA, “soft” extreme corners and some distortion. The older manual lenses may suffer more. After studying a lot on internet, I think many lenses I tried are “usable” to me (note: generally, no dark corner, need no crop when wide open at close distance or small aperture f8 or f11 at distance to infinity; or need some crop if it is a very characteristic lens. Of course, post-process is necessary for geometry correction and detail enhancement). My “usable” lists include (please be noted this is not a serious test result):

1)Many of my Minolta MC Rokkors and MDs, I especially like MC28/2 (approx. 12% crop for infinity with smaller aperture, no need crop for wide open at closeup), MC 35/1.8 (almost no crop needed), MC 55/1.7 (no crop), MC 58/1.4 (no crop), MC 58/1.2 gen#1 (close distance with large aperture is fine but need 2:3 crop mode for smaller aperture at infinity. But be aware 58/1.2 later version has smaller image circle than early one), and MD45, MD50/2, MD 50 macro. And of course, all Minolta lenses at longer focal length I have.
2)Olympus OM Zuikos: I tested 55/1.2, it works fine, cover the sensor better than Minolta 58 PG, infinity under small aperture need no crop, 50/1.8 may also fine, and I found OM ZUIKO 24/2.8 cover the sensor also (need massive post processing work), other OMs not tested.
3)Nikkors: I found ais 25-50f4 are fine from 35-50, and of course the legendary Nikkor H.C AUTO 50/2 almost ranked No.1 with regard to coverage and corner sharpness among all the vintage manual focus 35mm full frame 50mms I tested.
4)Leica R: I only tested R50/2 and 60/2.8 macro, I think they are all fine to use.
5)Contax Carl Zeiss CY: I have 85/1.4, 120/4 macro bellow lens, and a 135/2.8 as well as 180/2.8 sonnar, they are all good with GFX.
6)SMC Takumar 50/1.4, maybe need some minor crop.
7)Rangefinder lenses: Cannon LTM 85/1.9, I have to say this lens is quite different than others, it works the best with large aperture (no vignette from close to infinity), but become worse when stopping down to F8 or smaller, which make it quite an old-fashioned portrait lens for GFX??
8) 35mm/70mm Movie projection lenses, I was quite obsessed with those golden barrel Schneider Super Cinelux MC f2 lenses, and I have tested 80/2 (with simple adding a focusing helicoid, and 120/2 (with full precise modification including adding aperture and focusing ring), they all work great with GFX, I also bought 65/2 and 70/2, but I have not tested yet. I heard that 65mm is the shortest focal length of this series which may cover 4433 sensors.

Come to medium format, I have several ordinary Hasselblad CF lenses such as 40/4, 80/2.8, 120/4 macro, I like the last two, my copy of 40/4 CF has no sharp edge! For GFX, I recollected some Pentax 67 lenses including 55/4, 55-100 Zoom. I use them with a China-made technical view camera gear, can produce very good result. 55-100 Zoom have larger image circle than the prime, and I cannot tell the difference about sharpness between them. With these two lenses, I can stitch shifted images up to approx. 1.2 -1.5mega pixels pictures with 50S.

I have posted most of the sample images for above-mentioned lenses before.

I also have some enlarger lenses, such as Rodenstock Rodagon WA 60/4, Apo-Rodagon-N 80/4 and 120/4, they all support film size more than 60mm*70mm under recommended enlarging scale (2x to 15X), so their image circles at infinity are also quite sufficient for 4433 sensors, I haven’t tried shifting capability for them. I have also collected Schneider enlarging/industrial (mix-used) lens such as HM APO 60/4, and an apo-digitar 80/5.6, as well as an apo companon 90/4.5, and apo 120/5.9, they all work fine, especially HM 60/4 and 90/4.5.

Since very reasonable-priced industrial lenses are widely available in China online market, I also dug very hard into this section. I soon found Schneider Xenon E 50/2.2 is almost perfectly fit the GFX (very minus viginette under all aperture, and almost no distortion! CA is also very well controlled), although it was designed for full frame sensor. Almost same case comes to a LINOS Inpec.X M 50/1.4 (none NIR version), which is even better cover the sensor but with significant distortion. And other industrial line scan lenses such Pentax 35/2.8 and 50/2.8, these are deadly cheap, but cover the sensor very well, and again no visible distortion! Image circles of these four lenses are all 43mm, but I think they work very fine with GFX, resolution of the last two may not be good enough, but the first two are definitely my favorite!

Industrial lenses are almost all good at close up photography, but with careful selection (choose those with small optimized magnification ratio), you may find some of them also good at distance to infinity, such as LINOS Inspec.X L 120/5.6 float (minimum magnification is 0.07X, image circle is 83mm), another industrial beast-Schneider Sapphire 96/3.5 (magnification is 0.3X) is only better for close-distance photography. I have both! I believe these glasses are the modern top quality with digital sensor!

I also tried some large format lenses, such as Rodenstock Apo Sironar digital 55/4.5, and Apo Sironar digital 120/5.6 macro. The later can shift a lot, I am able to stitch a 2.3 mega pixels image with 50S, almost equal to a 35mm-40mm view angle. Unfortunately, the 55 digital cannot be shifted with GFX due to its large rear element.

End of the story, and excuse for my English if there is any mistake or confusion!

Edited on Dec 05, 2023 at 06:54 PM · View previous versions

Dec 05, 2023 at 10:16 AM
markhout
• • •
p.103 #13 · p.103 #13 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX

Wow excellent post!

Dec 05, 2023 at 11:22 AM
Makten
• • • • •
p.103 #14 · p.103 #14 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX

KENNNN wrote:
2)Olympus OM Zuikos: I tested 55/1.2, it works fine, cover the sensor better than Minolta 58 PG, infinity under small aperture need no crop, 50/1.8 also fine...

Again, this just shows how one persons opinion on lenses isn't necessarily useful for other photographers. I find both of the above lenses unusable on GFX. The 50 hard vignettes and doesn't even cover 1:1 properly. The 55 vignettes like 4-5 stops, but at least it's not hard vignetting. The curvature of field is horrible though.

I would personally not even dream of choosing the 100S with a zillion crappy adapted lenses, over the 50S II and one or two native lenses.

Dec 05, 2023 at 05:06 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.103 #15 · p.103 #15 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX

It's a hell of a lot easier to dirty up a lens than to make it look better than it really is, which is why many of us want good lenses to start with.

Dec 05, 2023 at 06:39 PM
KENNNN

p.103 #16 · p.103 #16 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX

Every camera lens can produce beautiful pictures if being handled well. Yes, it is a little or maybe very odd pairing a 200 Chinese Yuan (RMB) old lens with a 30,000 Yuan camera body GFX100s, but I think it's a fun to take nice pics with this combo.

My post is just for telling a story, or maybe practicing my English writing, not for any professional reference use. I am sorry someone may find it dull, while some other may find it interesting. I think this kind of situation is very common in any photography forum because we all have personal taste.

Dec 05, 2023 at 07:08 PM
markhout
• • •
p.103 #17 · p.103 #17 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX

Out of curiosity - any opinions about the Hasselblad 50mm CF f4 FLE Distagon vs. the Fuji GFX 45mm 2.8?

Much appreciated.

Dec 07, 2023 at 03:37 AM
Makten
• • • • •
p.103 #18 · p.103 #18 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX

markhout wrote:
Out of curiosity - any opinions about the Hasselblad 50mm CF f4 FLE Distagon vs. the Fuji GFX 45mm 2.8?

Much appreciated.

No, but don't forget the GF 50/3.5. Same focal length and still faster than the HBL, but tiny and pretty cheap.

Dec 07, 2023 at 05:05 AM
KENNNN

p.103 #19 · p.103 #19 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX

Bought a 200 Yuan focus ring, got the Schneider Super Cinelux MC 65mmf2 on work. Sample shot:

Edited on Dec 16, 2023 at 10:15 AM · View previous versions

Dec 10, 2023 at 04:04 AM
KENNNN

p.103 #20 · p.103 #20 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX

Sample shots with Schneider Cinelux Ultra 120/2, not as sharp as 65/2, but I think it's a good portrait lens. It does have obvious CA, but I like its rendering style.

Dec 10, 2023 at 04:11 AM
1       2       3              102      
       104       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              102      
       104       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.