Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              30       31       end

Archive 2016 · Gameface media - heads up on getting paid

lionsfan54
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Gameface media - heads up on getting paid

If anyone is freelancing for Gameface media, they are having some serious cash flow issues. I received an email from them a few weeks ago explaining problems they are having with transitions, etc.

They promise to pay within 15 days of an event, but I'm approaching 2 months and still no check. I assume I'll eventually get paid and I'll probably work for them again, but won't count on getting paid on time.

Good luck!

Jun 23, 2016 at 01:27 PM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Gameface media - heads up on getting paid

Isn't this those 'Color Run' people that were trying to make a splash with freelancers a couple of years back?

It was sketchy prospect back then for those I know that looked into it. I can't imagine it got any better.

Jun 23, 2016 at 01:36 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Gameface media - heads up on getting paid

I have some fellow photogs that have shot for them and continue to do so. They have nothing but positive experiences, but things may have changed recently. Their business model was, to say the least, interesting.

Keep us posted...

Jun 23, 2016 at 01:56 PM
Mark Kuhlmann
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Gameface media - heads up on getting paid

Thanks for the heads up, I shot twice for them last summer and got paid in full within 2 weeks. Decided to stop working for them because the day rate just wasn't enough. Glad I didn't look back.

Jun 23, 2016 at 02:19 PM
lionsfan54
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Gameface media - heads up on getting paid

Yeah, I shot for them last year and they were fine, got paid right away. This year, it was weird. Lots of radio silence, then a form letter from their CFO explaining how it was a slow time, etc. Really weird. I was supposed to get paid this week, but nothing yet.

$50/hr to shoot and dump cards seems like a fair rate for an open weekend day here or there but I do worry about their long term viability.

They've done a nice job keeping this quiet. I did some google searching and no one is talking about. They never told me to keep quiet and I'm not bashing them really, but I think people should know what's going on since they do promise "payment within 15 days"

Jun 23, 2016 at 02:37 PM
gene2632
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Gameface media - heads up on getting paid

Sad to hear they are struggling. I did the odd job here and there over the past 18 months and I always got paid promptly. The work is pretty simple and as long as I was free and the minimum was enough I was happy to get out and work with them. I did notice that in December of 2014 they needed me in St. George UT, about 2 hours north of Las Vegas and they offered to pay mileage and even offered shared hotel rooms. I took that job and it was fine, Same job in 2015 they did not offer the mileage reimbursement so I said no thanks....

Their business model is interesting, making their money from sponsorships rather than selling images and for a time that seemed to be working out. Now, not so much I guess. They really are good people who care about the photographers so I hope they get back on track.

Jun 27, 2016 at 06:23 PM
martymccrory

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Gameface media - heads up on getting paid

I'm one of the Directors of Photography at Gameface. I'd like to offer some insight.

We are behind on paying our photographers. You all are what make Gameface great, and I'm sorry we've let you down. All of us at Gameface are doing everything we can to rectify this immediately.

Everyone will get paid. We are winning new events every week. Investors are showing great interest in contributing to our company. I can't promise specific dates for payment but we are working hard to catch up on payments at this time.

Feel free to reach out to me directly with questions. My email is marty at gamefacemedia dot com.

Jun 27, 2016 at 08:07 PM
gene2632
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Gameface media - heads up on getting paid

Thanks for stepping up Marty. Everyone goes through tough times but most people/companies are not big enough to step up and face it. That is a big part of what makes Game Face stand out.

Jun 27, 2016 at 09:19 PM
jtmdmd12
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Gameface media - heads up on getting paid

I have shot several events for Gameface over the last couple of years & they have always been good to work with & good with payment. Its nice shooting & then just giving them the card- no editing. I hope everything gets back to running normally.

Jun 28, 2016 at 10:46 AM
lionsfan54
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Gameface media - heads up on getting paid

Thanks for responding Marty. I've been real careful not to trash gameface because I don't think it's productive nor warranted in this case. And, I'd like the chance to work for you guys again. The work was fun and I enjoyed the people I worked with.

But, it's also fair and necessary to share with other independent contractors what is going on so that we can adjust our expectations accordingly and budget as such. We have bills to pay too!

For the sake of everyone that works there and depends on a check from them, I hope things turn around. Getting laid off sucks and companies going out of business sucks. I am pulling for you guys.

Jun 29, 2016 at 08:16 AM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Gameface media - heads up on getting paid

I've been shooting for Gameface Media for about 5 years...however I haven't shot anything this year because eye surgeries and then an injury that has me restricted a bit.....and GFM has been very accommodating by canceling my scheduled contracts during this time.

My pay for the events I've shot has always been prompt. So I've had nothing but great times shooting for them and had the opportunity to meet some great photographers and make some new friends. I hope to resume shooting for them again in 1-2 months.

Also +1 on Gene's comment and also about Marty coming forward with an explanation. Thanks.

Frank

Jul 02, 2016 at 09:26 AM
timgangloff
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Gameface media - heads up on getting paid

I have never worked for GFM and after writing this, may never in the future, but this sounds a bit like a Ponzi scheme to me: "We are winning new events every week. Investors are showing great interest in contributing to our company." Is he saying that they don't have the funds to pay for your prior work, but hope to gain new work/investors and use those funds to pay for the prior work? How will they pay for the new work that these new events require? $50 is a pretty good pay rate for just dumping images and some of the work I saw looked pretty good, but I'll be curious to see if their model is sustainable.

Jul 02, 2016 at 11:19 PM
ian408
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Gameface media - heads up on getting paid

There are many reasons a company can't pay it's bills immediately. idk if I'd call it a Ponzi Scheme yet-hell, many small companies are in the same boat and if anything interrupts cash flow, things get tight for a while.

Jul 02, 2016 at 11:30 PM
timgangloff
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Gameface media - heads up on getting paid

Maybe Ponzi scheme was a harsh characterization and I don't think they set out to cheat anyone or are doing anything illegal, but getting tight and not paying for the work that was done are two different things. My concern was with Marty's comments that the new work is needed to pay for the old work and doesn't answer the question of how to pay for past events and the new events with new money. I guess prospective shooters should ask for and get paid upfront, otherwise, they risk not getting paid at all, or at least recognize that they may not get paid for a long time until the situation improves. And I do appreciate Marty taking time to let the shooters know first-hand the state of the company.

Jul 03, 2016 at 09:12 AM
FightForRight

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Gameface media - heads up on getting paid

Wow, they burned through $6.5 million pretty quick!

https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/gameface-media-inc#/entity

Jul 04, 2016 at 03:30 PM
RandyR
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Gameface media - heads up on getting paid

I shot for them last year and was paid promptly, I will shoot for them again but If they still owed me I wouldn't shoot again until

Jul 05, 2016 at 07:38 AM
matthewo
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Gameface media - heads up on getting paid

I have shot 2 events this year with them.

My first event was 4/30/16 - as of today 7/5/16 I have not been paid, yet I did receive a payment notification from bill.com that my check was on the way.

I also shot an event on 6/4/16 as well and have not been paid.

I like the events they shoot and they are fun, really I would shoot more if I had more in my area, the people are great to work with as well as its fun and exciting work for decent pay. I am not really worried about not being paid, but when you advertise you will receive payment in 2-3 weeks and it takes over 2 months, its a bit disconcerting.

after a few emails I got an email back from the CTO - saying in short they are behind due to the time of the year and that they do not get paid until weeks after the event and the first part of the year is always tough.

as you can tell I am not trying to bash or anything, I feel what they are doing is great, providing free high quality photographs to event goers free of charge. It may just be unfortunate how the whole business model works for payments at times.

Jul 05, 2016 at 07:52 AM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Gameface media - heads up on getting paid

matthewo wrote:
I have shot 2 events this year with them.

My first event was 4/30/16 - as of today 7/5/16 I have not been paid, yet I did receive a payment notification from bill.com that my check was on the way.

I also shot an event on 6/4/16 as well and have not been paid.

I like the events they shoot and they are fun, really I would shoot more if I had more in my area, the people are great to work with as well as its fun and exciting work for decent pay. I am not really worried about not being paid,
...Show more

"providing free high quality photographs to event goers free of charge" - that's nice (money coming from the event sponsors) but it may be a flawed marketing strategy for the long term

Jul 05, 2016 at 12:52 PM
matthewo
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Gameface media - heads up on getting paid

oops I think I messed that up a bit, I hope I didn't offer it free of my own charge

the obstacle I was shooting at the last event had a very large banner attached to it, nearly all my photos had an advert as the background. you know everyone just posts their event photo on facebook as well as all photos do have a event logo in the corner so its free advertising for the company. the biggest issue I saw was people asking me where they could find their photos, I think more time needed to be spent telling the event goes where they could find the photos, like a big sign that said goto said website 5 days after the event to get your photos.

Jul 05, 2016 at 02:17 PM
FightForRight

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Gameface media - heads up on getting paid

Anybody get paid yet?

Jul 08, 2016 at 05:11 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.