New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Photos: Kirk vs. RRS 5D3 L-plates on 5DS

stanj
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Photos: Kirk vs. RRS 5D3 L-plates on 5DS

So, due to popular demand, here's a comparison of the two plates. One shown on the 5D3, one on the 5DSR (you saw the RRS plate on the 5DSR in an earlier post of mine).

I like how the Kirk hooks to the loop thing. I don't like that it's not nice and flat on the bottom, and the gaps / holes / slits or whatever. The RRS doesn't allow for crap to get to the body, which is a bonus. If I had to do it again I'd get the RRS, but that's just me.

I hope these pictures satisfy your standards

Jun 19, 2015 at 10:17 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Photos: Kirk vs. RRS 5D3 L-plates on 5DS

So, no reservations at all about the 5DIII L-plate on the 5Ds /5Ds R?

If you have followed the other discussion, you know I'm not a fan of where RRS is going with the new unit for the 5Ds and 5Ds R. I also prefer RRS, and I very much like(d) the 5D and 5DII L-plates (and a few bullheads and various lens plates).

Dan

Jun 19, 2015 at 10:27 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Photos: Kirk vs. RRS 5D3 L-plates on 5DS

Good pics for comparison! Without the model tag emblem, it's hard to tell which is which, as they appear to identical bodies.

Jun 19, 2015 at 10:37 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Photos: Kirk vs. RRS 5D3 L-plates on 5DS

gdanmitchell wrote:
So, no reservations at all about the 5DIII L-plate on the 5Ds /5Ds R?

If you have followed the other discussion, you know I'm not a fan of where RRS is going with the new unit for the 5Ds and 5Ds R. I also prefer RRS, and I very much like(d) the 5D and 5DII L-plates (and a few bullheads and various lens plates).

Dan

Of all the things that I've heard, the worst things that can happen is:

- The camera isn't perfectly level. Well, the last time I used the level on the ball head was ... oh wait, never. Always a bubble in the hot shoe or the built-in level. So, no biggie.

- Port access: the only port that I care about works.

- Possible scratches to the body: when I'm done with the camera, that will be the least of my value problems

So no, no reservations. I'd get the RRS 5D3 plate over the Kirk but that's personal preference. I have now the Kirk and will see how much I like it in Central American next month.

Jun 19, 2015 at 10:40 PM
Rob573
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Photos: Kirk vs. RRS 5D3 L-plates on 5DS

I actually ordered a 2 new 5D III RRS plates to have here when my new 5DS & 5DSR arrived.
That was the second thing attached after I installed the BG-E11's battery grips.
I have had no problems with the RRS grips and they seem to work perfectly. I have no intention of getting the new RRS made especially for the 5DS with the two (2) piece plates because I know I would hate them.
I owe my decision to go ahead with the RRS 5D III L-Plates from the comments posted on this board and as usual that information proved to be the right one for me.

Edited on Jun 24, 2015 at 07:14 PM · View previous versions

Jun 20, 2015 at 08:57 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Photos: Kirk vs. RRS 5D3 L-plates on 5DS

The Kirk's attachment on the side should make it more solid and less prone to vibration. Other than that the Kirk and RRS look similar.

EBH

Jun 20, 2015 at 09:58 PM
khurram1
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Photos: Kirk vs. RRS 5D3 L-plates on 5DS

Jeffrey wrote:
Good pics for comparison! Without the model tag emblem, it's hard to tell which is which, as they appear to identical bodies.

The RRS has the centre point markers for their Panorama kit.

Jun 22, 2015 at 07:03 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Photos: Kirk vs. RRS 5D3 L-plates on 5DS

Rob573 wrote:
I actually ordered a 2 new 5D III RRS plates to have here when my new 5th tDS & 5DSR's arrived.
That was the second thing attached after I installed the BG-E11's battery grips.
I have had no problems with the RRS grips and they seem to work perfectly. I have no intention of getting the new RRS 5DS two (2) piece plates because I know I would hate them.
I owe my decision to go ahead with the RRS 5D III L-Plates from the comments posted on this board and as usual that information proved to be the right one for
...Show more

I did the same thing a month ago - despite earlier warnings on this forum that the 5D III L-bracket would block the side ports... which of course it does not.

Jun 23, 2015 at 01:20 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Photos: Kirk vs. RRS 5D3 L-plates on 5DS

molson wrote:
I did the same thing a month ago - despite earlier warnings on this forum that the 5D III L-bracket would block the side ports... which of course it does not.

It actually may not go too well with some HDMI or USB3 plugs. But who cares

Jun 23, 2015 at 02:16 PM
Jeff
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Photos: Kirk vs. RRS 5D3 L-plates on 5DS

molson wrote:

stanj wrote:

Stan, are you referring to the RRS plate, or the Kirk as well?

Jul 01, 2015 at 11:22 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Photos: Kirk vs. RRS 5D3 L-plates on 5DS

molson wrote:

stanj wrote:

Jeff wrote:
Stan, are you referring to the RRS plate, or the Kirk as well?

I now have both the RRS and Kirk 5D3 L-plates, tried both, and both fit like a glove with no port issues. RRS at one point stated that the 5D3 plate may have port issues, which I find to be false based on my experiences. Presently I have the RRS plate on the 5D3 and the Kirk on the 5DSR. I prefer the RRS the way the bottom of the plate is made, but I have the hand strap installed and I am too lazy to disentangle the RRS plate from the 5D3

Jul 02, 2015 at 12:01 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.