New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              6       7       end

Archive 2015 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

stanj
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

Since people asked about it... fits just fine, and I don't see any issues plugging in a cable release.

Clarifying: it's the RRS 5D3 L-plate (no battery pack).

Edited on Jun 16, 2015 at 01:33 PM · View previous versions

Jun 16, 2015 at 01:12 PM
Alex Nail
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

Thanks Stan but exactly which plate is this? The 5D3 plate? And if so how good is the fit?
Thanks,
Alex

Jun 16, 2015 at 01:16 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

I put my 5D (classic) L-bracket on my 5DS. I don't screw it down very tightly since there is a gap underneath, and the cable access is not good, but I can get the remote release in there. I'll try to make and post pics later. I do want to get a proper RRS bracket (need to order now).

Jun 16, 2015 at 01:26 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

I'll try with the 5DII plate eventually.

Jun 16, 2015 at 01:32 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

It's the 5D3 RRS L-plate, fits perfectly.

Jun 16, 2015 at 01:33 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

gdanmitchell wrote:
I'll try with the 5DII plate eventually.

Given that it didn't fit the 5D3, I would assume it won't fit the 5DSR.

Jun 16, 2015 at 01:34 PM
Roland W
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

Using the wrong L bracket on a camera is a good way to damage the camera, and it also is likely poor support. The plate for the 5D3 is purported to work fine for fit to the 5DS and 5DSR cameras, so that is one exception to the rule, and one where we are all interested to know more about the fit. But the 5D and the 5D2 each had their own plate geometry, and you will not find me even checking the fit of either of those L brackets on my 5DSR when it gets here.

Jun 16, 2015 at 01:36 PM
khurram1
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

I'll see how the gripped 5D3 plate fits when i get home, before i decide whether to buy the new 5Ds Plate. I was going to use the 5Ds without the grip, so your photo and how my existing gripped plate fits, will help me decide if i want to spend the extra $40 to $50 USD on the new version.

Jun 16, 2015 at 02:12 PM
Jeff Fenske
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

Roland W wrote:
Using the wrong L bracket on a camera is a good way to damage the camera, and it also is likely poor support. The plate for the 5D3 is purported to work fine for fit to the 5DS and 5DSR cameras, so that is one exception to the rule, and one where we are all interested to know more about the fit. But the 5D and the 5D2 each had their own plate geometry, and you will not find me even checking the fit of either of those L brackets on my 5DSR when it gets here.

I'm using my Really Right Stuff 5D3 L-bracket on the 5DsR. I concur that it seems to fit perfectly, so much so that I wonder if RRS will still build a plate specifically for the 5DsR? It's still listed on their site: http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Shop/EOS-5DS-5DSR/B5DS-L-plate-for-5DS-5DSR.html

If they do still build it, I wonder what changes would be made, and if it will be better in some way.

My 5D2 RRS plate does not fit the 5DsR, but it doesn't fit the 5D3 either.

Jun 16, 2015 at 02:48 PM
netexpress
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

Thanks I was just about to ask about this!

Jun 16, 2015 at 03:35 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

stanj wrote:
Given that it didn't fit the 5D3, I would assume it won't fit the 5DSR.

Going with that assumption now. Thanks.

Jun 16, 2015 at 03:41 PM
khurram1
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

Jeff Fenske wrote:
I'm using my Really Right Stuff 5D3 L-bracket on the 5DsR. I concur that it seems to fit perfectly, so much so that I wonder if RRS will still build a plate specifically for the 5DsR? It's still listed on their site: http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Shop/EOS-5DS-5DSR/B5DS-L-plate-for-5DS-5DSR.html

If they do still build it, I wonder what changes would be made, and if it will be better in some way.

My 5D2 RRS plate does not fit the 5DsR, but it doesn't fit the 5D3 either.

I did receive an email from RRS that it will be at work piece modular plate like the one for the 1dx - they are increasing the price by $40 from the original pre-order price.

Jun 16, 2015 at 04:01 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

You mean 'one piece"? What is the pre-order price now? I have one on order.

Jun 16, 2015 at 04:14 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

stanj wrote:

+1

A perfect fit, with full access to the port covers. No need to take a dremel to my new RRS B5D3L A plate.

Jun 16, 2015 at 04:28 PM
beauport
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

stanj wrote:

Good to hear this. I ordered a new plate for the 5DSr from RRS and the pre-order price was $140. Last week I got an email from them I'll copy in below.
Thanks so much for your pre-order for our B5DS-L L-plate for the new Canon EOS-5DS & -5DSR cameras. Due to a design change that we had not anticipated initially, the price for the L-plate has increased by $45. The new price for the L-plate is $185 instead of $140. We think you'll really like the changes:
• Plate is a modular two-piece design: a base plate and a separate L-component.
• Modular L-plate design enhances versatility: use base plate alone, or add the L-component to instantly create an L-plate.
• L-component can mount in 2 positions: close to camera body for a low-profile fit, or in an extended position to provide the best possible port & cable clearance.
• Making changes from one configuration to another is made convenient by the included hex key tool that is stored in the base plate.
• Our use of Finite Element Analysis software allows Really Right Stuff to design and deliver plates with the best possible combination of weight and strength.
• To see a similar example of modular plate design in action, check out our robust L-Plate Set for the larger Canon 1DX.
If, for any reason, you're not happy about the price increase and wish to modify or cancel your order, please let us know. Otherwise, we look forward to shipping the initial batch of these plates in mid-July.
Thanks again for choosing Really Right Stuff for your camera support gear. As always, contact us at any time with questions related to photography and your support gear needs.

Jun 16, 2015 at 05:23 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

Roland W wrote:
Using the wrong L bracket on a camera is a good way to damage the camera, and it also is likely poor support.

Correct. I am proceeding cautiously and using minimal force. It is just a stop-gap measure.

Jun 16, 2015 at 05:48 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

Good report Beauport. I'd like to see some good pix of the 5D3 L-bracket on the new body. The one posted here is pretty useless. I'm not particularly happy that RRS is doing a two piece unit now. I'll never remove the side plate and prefer it to be one piece. Technically it may be more efficient for them to build as two piece especially regarding material removal and fixturing for the CNC operations. Not sure why it would cost more. I would have expected them to just modify the program for the 5D3 bracket.

Jun 16, 2015 at 06:16 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

Jeffrey wrote:
Good report Beauport. I'd like to see some good pix of the 5D3 L-bracket on the new body. The one posted here is pretty useless.

Well, in earlier threads (which I am too lazy to search for now, but allegedly here's a search feature), it has been feared that port access may not be possible. As a matter of fact, allegedly RRS themselves said that that's the reason why they're developing a new plate to begin with (alleged emails have never been shown here, but said Search feature may be able to reveal the posts stating the allegations).

I was simply trying to answer those fears about the cable release port not being accessible, and what not. As I have stated in my post a few months back, the RRS L-plate for the 5D3 fits the 5DSR like a glove, and no force was necessary to install it. That was actually the very first thing I tried when I got to test drive it. The last thing that I need is another "modular" plate by RRS.

Jun 16, 2015 at 06:33 PM
J_ph
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

I wonder if there is something in the works for the USB 3.0 connection.

Jun 16, 2015 at 07:52 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

Good report Stan. I want to see how the entire bracket fits, not just the cable access area, thus my comment. No offense, but the title made me expect more.

Jun 16, 2015 at 10:34 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.