fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

       2       end
  

Archive 2015 · 7D2 vs 1D4 at ISO 12800, 6400, 3200

  
 
arbitrage
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · 7D2 vs 1D4 at ISO 12800, 6400, 3200


Wanted to compare my often forgotten 1D4 to the new kid 7D2. Someone mentioned in another thread about the 1D4 having better ISO. Here are two images. I have others at 6400 and 3200 and may post them later but thought I'd start with these two. Both are cropped to similar framing giving the 7D2 a resolution advantage. But for a real life scenario this is how they stand.

Default chroma NR has been done in LR. No luminance NR has been applied.











Edited on May 09, 2015 at 05:07 PM · View previous versions



May 07, 2015 at 11:26 PM
Doctorbird
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · 7D2 vs 1D4 at ISO 12800, 6400, 3200


I'm guessing that the second image is taken with the 7DII??

Db



May 08, 2015 at 12:22 AM
kezeka
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · 7D2 vs 1D4 at ISO 12800, 6400, 3200


Top one is 1D4 and bottom is 7D2?

Top: visibly less resolution, better coloration (look at the greens in the background and the yellow beak), arguably more pleasing noise distribution.

Bottom: more resolution, bland muted colors


In the end, you aren't going to pick up a 1D4 over a 7D2 based on image quality - it'll probably be due to a need for a solid portrait grip or a body that can handle serious weather better. There is a magic to using a 1-series body that has yet to be replicated in a prosumer body.



May 08, 2015 at 12:25 AM
anscochrome
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · 7D2 vs 1D4 at ISO 12800, 6400, 3200


I'd harker a guess that the top image is the 1D4? If so, I'd say there is little to choose between them, so those who struggle to make the (IMO) high used price for a 1D4 can take a breath and go for a 7D2

I recently acquired a Rebel T6s, to replace my old XSI. I love the performance of it at ISO 6400 ( I don't have the guts to go to 12,800-it does not have the banding or the purple bloom in shadows like my 5DII. The noise grain of course is more noticeable, but I can deal with that. I think the camera has been unfairly impuned on this board because it is not an ideal action following camera like a 1D4 or a 7DII. Thanks for sharing these



May 08, 2015 at 12:28 AM
AGeoJO
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · 7D2 vs 1D4 at ISO 12800, 6400, 3200


kezeka wrote:
Top: visibly less resolution, better coloration (look at the greens in the background and the yellow beak), arguably more pleasing noise distribution.

Bottom: more resolution, bland muted colors


Yes, I noticed the same but not sure which is which .



May 08, 2015 at 12:34 AM
Pixel Perfect
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · 7D2 vs 1D4 at ISO 12800, 6400, 3200


I'm impressed for the 1D IV that is, 5 year old sensor still manages to basically equal new sensor despite being cropped and only ending up with 10MP vs 20MP. Still It's good to see that 7D II at least equals 1D IV for high ISO noise at least in FL limited situations. I'd like to see the same test with the 1D IV in non FL limited tests. If the 5D IV turns out to be underwhelming I might eventually get a 7D II to replace the 1D IV. Damn I wish we could get a new 1.3x crop sensor with 24MP in a true 1D IV successor even if they put it in a 5D sized body and called it a 4D.


May 08, 2015 at 12:53 AM
adamx12m
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · 7D2 vs 1D4 at ISO 12800, 6400, 3200


Pixel Perfect wrote:
I'm impressed for the 1D IV that is, 5 year old sensor still manages to basically equal new sensor despite being cropped and only ending up with 10MP vs 20MP. Still It's good to see that 7D II at least equals 1D IV for high ISO noise at least in FL limited situations. I'd like to see the same test with the 1D IV in non FL limited tests. If the 5D IV turns out to be underwhelming I might eventually get a 7D II to replace the 1D IV. Damn I wish we could get a new 1.3x
...Show more →

Looking at this a different way, let's say the 7D2 probably won't be replaced for 2 years, so basically it takes 7-8 years before a prosumer body is capable of outperforming without question a past 1 series. The 1DX outperforms both so I'd suspect the 7D2 replacement might equal that body in 2+ years. Aside from the significant costs, the upfront investment in a 1 series at the beginning of the product cycle is a good deal.



May 08, 2015 at 09:32 AM
arbitrage
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · 7D2 vs 1D4 at ISO 12800, 6400, 3200


So as an update. Yes the top picture is the 1D4 and the 2nd is the 7D2. 1D4 does show a bit more contrast to the image and different more saturated colours. It may be the sensor or may be how LR handles the conversion. I think the noise is basically the same in them, nothing I would base a decision on. The 7D2 has much better controls and custom functions. My 1D4 seems a bit more consistent with focus than my 7D2 but I've only done limited testing. However the 1D4 is extremely slow to work through the large focus range of the 600II. If I set it at MFD and then focus on a distant subject, the 1D4 is significantly slower to drive the lens to the new position. The 5D3, 7D2 and 1Dx are way faster.

I'll post up a few 6400 and 3200 samples later.



May 08, 2015 at 01:55 PM
Doctorbird
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · 7D2 vs 1D4 at ISO 12800, 6400, 3200


I wonder if our perception of the comparison would change if the LR exposure slider in the 7DII image was moved a tad to the left. I would surmise a little less flat, and a bit more saturated, looking image perhaps?

Db



May 08, 2015 at 02:31 PM
arbitrage
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · 7D2 vs 1D4 at ISO 12800, 6400, 3200


Doctorbird wrote:
I wonder if our perception of the comparison would change if the LR exposure slider in the 7DII image was moved a tad to the left. I would surmise a little less flat, and a bit more saturated, looking image perhaps?

Db


Actually I did do a little work on the black levels on the 7D2 to get it to look closer to the 1D4. It was actually more washed out than it appears above before I did that. I also think that we aren't getting much extra detail from the 7D2 at this high ISO. The 7D2 maybe has a bit more detail but not what we would expect from 22 vs 16MP and the 1.3 vs 1.6 difference in how much I cropped in for the same framing.



May 08, 2015 at 02:38 PM
Imagemaster
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · 7D2 vs 1D4 at ISO 12800, 6400, 3200


JFC:







May 08, 2015 at 02:53 PM
Doctorbird
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · 7D2 vs 1D4 at ISO 12800, 6400, 3200


Do you think that the resolution may be limited somewhat by the lens, focus precision and/or technique? (Not that your technique is not impeccable). Resolving the 240 pixels/mm in the 7DII is quite demanding.

Db



May 08, 2015 at 02:59 PM
Edward Rotberg
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · 7D2 vs 1D4 at ISO 12800, 6400, 3200


Pixel Perfect wrote:
I'm impressed for the 1D IV that is, 5 year old sensor still manages to basically equal new sensor despite being cropped and only ending up with 10MP vs 20MP.


Bt! Wrong answer. 1DIV is 16 MegaPixels. You are think of the 1DIII.

Just sayin'.

= Ed =



May 08, 2015 at 03:12 PM
rattlebonez
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · 7D2 vs 1D4 at ISO 12800, 6400, 3200


Ed,

I think Pixel Perfect was noting this

1D IV native APS-H sensor is 16 MP
cropped to APS-C to match 7D II is 10 MP



May 08, 2015 at 03:31 PM
stanj
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · 7D2 vs 1D4 at ISO 12800, 6400, 3200


arbitrage wrote:
I'll post up a few 6400 and 3200 samples later.


What I think is funny is that whenever a test of cameras or lenses against each other is needed, you come forward with some shots of eagles, as if it were the most natural occurrence, the same way as us commoners come with pictures of some mailboxes or brick walls



May 08, 2015 at 03:48 PM
arbitrage
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · 7D2 vs 1D4 at ISO 12800, 6400, 3200


6400 examples





1D4






7D2




May 08, 2015 at 08:10 PM
arbitrage
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · 7D2 vs 1D4 at ISO 12800, 6400, 3200


Imagemaster wrote:
JFC:


Yes in bright sun things improve dramatically with any camera at high ISO.



May 08, 2015 at 08:13 PM
stuarty
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #18 · 7D2 vs 1D4 at ISO 12800, 6400, 3200


To be honest i would delete both ...mibees its my screen but both seem noisy


May 09, 2015 at 03:25 PM
mitesh
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · 7D2 vs 1D4 at ISO 12800, 6400, 3200


stuarty wrote;
...both seem noisy


I do believe that is to be expected when conducting high ISO (read: noise) comparisons .



May 09, 2015 at 03:40 PM
arbitrage
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · 7D2 vs 1D4 at ISO 12800, 6400, 3200


3200 examples. These ones have no PP except the default 25 colour noise correction in LR.




1D4






7D2




May 09, 2015 at 05:05 PM
       2       end




FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

       2       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account