fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       374              376       end
  

The 58mm F/1.4G Thread

  
 
Spectro
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.375 #1 · The 58mm F/1.4G Thread


I have the 58 1.4 and the CV 40 1.2 and I agree with your statement of similarities between the two. I bought the CV 40 1.2 without realizing this and was pleasantly surprised that mid range portraits had a very similar look with the two lenses.


Aug 15, 2026 at 06:12 AM
micke.vmix
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.375 #2 · The 58mm F/1.4G Thread


It's time to move from the wide open fields into the forest. Still going wide open...


Dreamy field... by micke vmix, on Flickr
D500 + 58/1.4G at F1.4


Chaos in the forest... by micke vmix, on Flickr
D500 + 58/1.4G at F1.4


Candystore... by micke vmix, on Flickr
D500 + 58/1.4G at F1.4

Pink by micke vmix, on Flickr
D500 + 58/1.4G at F1.4



Aug 16, 2026 at 12:25 AM
GiovanniAprea
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.375 #3 · The 58mm F/1.4G Thread


Something to spice up the thread...

Paulina, D850 and the mighty 58G




Aug 18, 2026 at 01:23 PM
newyork
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.375 #4 · The 58mm F/1.4G Thread


Beautiful


Aug 18, 2026 at 02:04 PM
M635_Guy
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.375 #5 · The 58mm F/1.4G Thread


I'm stepping back into the hobby after a few years away. As part of that I decided to retire my D700 and D800 and move to a D850. I've looked at over 200 pages of this thread, and honestly it's a roller-coaster of "I WANT ONE!!" and "Hmmm... looks soft. Miss or lens?" I do travel, street, candids and what I call "texture" photography (lots of examples in this thread. It seems perfect for what I do... when it is sharp enough. I don't think I'm a pixel-peeper, but I also don't want to make excuses for a nearly $1200 lens. What I'm hoping is for a lens that sharp enough that I look at my pix and see the image I hoped to get. I don't demand the high sharpness I get from my 50 f/1.4G and 85 f/1.8G, and I see enough wide-open shots here that seem very reasonably sharp that I'd be totally happy with.

I'll do AFFT, or even send it to Nikon for calibration if necessary. I'll be thrilled for all the creamy goodness and 3-D rendering if it's decently sharp.'

Am I going to drive myself crazy?

Some examples of my shots I can imagine that with this lens would have been better:




(this are a bit old from Flickr, but haven't hosted most of my pix)



Aug 18, 2026 at 06:13 PM
philip_pj
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.375 #6 · The 58mm F/1.4G Thread


It's very much dependent on the need for visible texture of the particular subject and composition, and it varies by focus distance. Your images here are close focus - and the 58/1.4 does not have a floating lens element (FLE) system, so it will remain soft near its fairly long minimum focus distance (MFD) of 0.6 metres.

It's not a crime to use these kinds of lenses at stopped down apertures - one or two stops. You can take a series - what I call aperture bracketing - and go from there. AI:

'Shooting the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G at f/2 and f/2.8 transitions the lens from its dreamy, wide-open artistic rendering into much crisper, high-clarity performance while retaining soft, organic background separation.'

Light fall-off in the corners begins to recede, and overall micro-contrast increases significantly. The depth of field widens just enough to make eye-and-nose focus on portraits more forgiving, while the background blur remains remarkably smooth and organic without harsh outlines.

Ideal for low-light or indoor environmental portraits where you want more pop and structure than f/1.4 provides, but still need a shallow, isolated feel.' cheers.



Aug 18, 2026 at 08:12 PM
micke.vmix
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.375 #7 · The 58mm F/1.4G Thread


Dreamy refill...


Grab some grapes... by micke vmix, on Flickr
D500 + 58G at F1.4


A mess... by micke vmix, on Flickr
D500 + 58G at F1.6


Stuck... by micke vmix, on Flickr
D500 + 58G at F1.4




Aug 29, 2026 at 12:20 AM
Lightsearcher
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.375 #8 · The 58mm F/1.4G Thread







































Sep 04, 2026 at 09:22 PM
AlexCruise
Online
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.375 #9 · The 58mm F/1.4G Thread


Lightsearcher wrote:
https://photos.smugmug.com/People/My-Hearth-is-in-Denmark-/Faroe-Island-2026/i-pTzSMmd/0/LkKZGL3cxLNTLxsgPzHb4vJ6tTG2CZszw9mNbkszH/X3/DSC_3008crop-X3.jpg


https://photos.smugmug.com/People/My-Hearth-is-in-Denmark-/Faroe-Island-2026/i-97ShdN5/0/M3RXsQgwkS8CBjQMSxghWVfdvfZpDrgLRCjPC7fpv/X3/DSC_3103-X3.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/People/My-Hearth-is-in-Denmark-/Faroe-Island-2026/i-8XR72fS/0/LTmPhrtZc4WdzJGGp9R4R99X2JbQQ2xdFJ4ZDwf2g/X3/DSC_3024-X3.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/People/My-Hearth-is-in-Denmark-/Faroe-Island-2026/i-n9JHmKg/0/Lh7SrF239dbTK9HBWzRVtqM8rmN2TFffNX6N6SwPg/X3/DSC_2961-X3.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/People/My-Hearth-is-in-Denmark-/Faroe-Island-2026/i-zx9RC2D/0/Mcj8WtqLkn3MKmnnvjM3s83jvfnxgtdvzDTh6jZMt/X3/DSC_2960-X3.jpg



Excellent Captures .. Love the way these turned out.



Sep 05, 2026 at 12:28 PM
RexGig0
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.375 #10 · The 58mm F/1.4G Thread


Lightsearcher wrote:
https://photos.smugmug.com/People/My-Hearth-is-in-Denmark-/Faroe-Island-2026/i-pTzSMmd/0/LkKZGL3cxLNTLxsgPzHb4vJ6tTG2CZszw9mNbkszH/X3/DSC_3008crop-X3.jpg


https://photos.smugmug.com/People/My-Hearth-is-in-Denmark-/Faroe-Island-2026/i-97ShdN5/0/M3RXsQgwkS8CBjQMSxghWVfdvfZpDrgLRCjPC7fpv/X3/DSC_3103-X3.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/People/My-Hearth-is-in-Denmark-/Faroe-Island-2026/i-8XR72fS/0/LTmPhrtZc4WdzJGGp9R4R99X2JbQQ2xdFJ4ZDwf2g/X3/DSC_3024-X3.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/People/My-Hearth-is-in-Denmark-/Faroe-Island-2026/i-n9JHmKg/0/Lh7SrF239dbTK9HBWzRVtqM8rmN2TFffNX6N6SwPg/X3/DSC_2961-X3.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/People/My-Hearth-is-in-Denmark-/Faroe-Island-2026/i-zx9RC2D/0/Mcj8WtqLkn3MKmnnvjM3s83jvfnxgtdvzDTh6jZMt/X3/DSC_2960-X3.jpg



Lovely!



Sep 08, 2026 at 11:01 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

Lightsearcher
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.375 #11 · The 58mm F/1.4G Thread


AlexCruise wrote:
Excellent Captures .. Love the way these turned out.


---------------------------------------------

RexGig0 wrote:
Lovely!


Thank you Alex and Rex, I really appreciate it.




Sep 08, 2026 at 08:25 PM
Lightsearcher
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.375 #12 · The 58mm F/1.4G Thread








































Sep 08, 2026 at 08:29 PM
newyork
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.375 #13 · The 58mm F/1.4G Thread


What a set!!! Love the flower pair and the pup. Fantastic bud.

Lightsearcher wrote:
https://photos.smugmug.com/People/My-Hearth-is-in-Denmark-/Aalburg-2023/i-FcsMZc2/0/MvPpSCwK3SQzqs4PtLwKKL78t5kvGMjj7QP8rBwBV/X3/DSC_1000-X3.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/People/My-Hearth-is-in-Denmark-/Aalburg-2023/i-sRLd7CG/0/KsZXwXjdtkWGPTrGXffwHC4b8nRgrCF8rsbNWxfWW/X3/DSC_1035-X3.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/People/My-Hearth-is-in-Denmark-/Aalburg-2023/i-x5SgwM4/0/MxcQnxqcBfCbQKzbrr5mk6xhLR2CLZsBXTpXFbHc6/X3/DSC_1160-X3.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/People/My-Hearth-is-in-Denmark-/Aalburg-2023/i-7vrb98c/0/M7PsD8htfp2n8qVN5v68mr4kM2mFHqr85WdxpZWxH/X3/DSC_1161-X3.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/People/My-Hearth-is-in-Denmark-/Aalburg-2023/i-hfQRqL9/0/NPKFSSqnJhFLm2TCwkS43NhfnVFhz9gPRLsHVtWFf/X3/DSC_1195-2-X3.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/People/My-Hearth-is-in-Denmark-/Aalburg-2023/i-bP3vF4Q/0/LSp4z7rTtXTwHXZgdxQSFtqWhzmmC8CzcrpCgsq6d/X3/DSC_1224-X3.jpg




Sep 08, 2026 at 08:38 PM
Lightsearcher
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.375 #14 · The 58mm F/1.4G Thread


newyork wrote:
What a set!!! Love the flower pair and the pup. Fantastic bud.



Thank you Rich, this is a great lens for portraits.




Sep 09, 2026 at 06:54 PM
AlexCruise
Online
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.375 #15 · The 58mm F/1.4G Thread


What body are you shooting these on?

Jesus absolutely incredible captures!

Lightsearcher wrote:
https://photos.smugmug.com/People/My-Hearth-is-in-Denmark-/Aalburg-2023/i-FcsMZc2/0/MvPpSCwK3SQzqs4PtLwKKL78t5kvGMjj7QP8rBwBV/X3/DSC_1000-X3.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/People/My-Hearth-is-in-Denmark-/Aalburg-2023/i-sRLd7CG/0/KsZXwXjdtkWGPTrGXffwHC4b8nRgrCF8rsbNWxfWW/X3/DSC_1035-X3.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/People/My-Hearth-is-in-Denmark-/Aalburg-2023/i-x5SgwM4/0/MxcQnxqcBfCbQKzbrr5mk6xhLR2CLZsBXTpXFbHc6/X3/DSC_1160-X3.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/People/My-Hearth-is-in-Denmark-/Aalburg-2023/i-7vrb98c/0/M7PsD8htfp2n8qVN5v68mr4kM2mFHqr85WdxpZWxH/X3/DSC_1161-X3.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/People/My-Hearth-is-in-Denmark-/Aalburg-2023/i-hfQRqL9/0/NPKFSSqnJhFLm2TCwkS43NhfnVFhz9gPRLsHVtWFf/X3/DSC_1195-2-X3.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/People/My-Hearth-is-in-Denmark-/Aalburg-2023/i-bP3vF4Q/0/LSp4z7rTtXTwHXZgdxQSFtqWhzmmC8CzcrpCgsq6d/X3/DSC_1224-X3.jpg




Sep 09, 2026 at 07:28 PM
Lightsearcher
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.375 #16 · The 58mm F/1.4G Thread


AlexCruise wrote:
What body are you shooting these on?

Jesus absolutely incredible captures!



Thank you Alex for the kind words, I use it on my Z6.

Marcelo




Sep 09, 2026 at 08:23 PM
Taeundercover
Online
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.375 #17 · The 58mm F/1.4G Thread


no more words.





Sep 10, 2026 at 11:59 PM
AlexCruise
Online
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.375 #18 · The 58mm F/1.4G Thread


I might need to get mine out this weekend or something!

Excellent Captures!

Taeundercover wrote:

no more words.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/55521289093_ba2f52a8c6_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/55521288318_d4f073c9f9_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/55520169842_29d054d46c_b.jpg




Sep 11, 2026 at 06:58 AM
Taeundercover
Online
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.375 #19 · The 58mm F/1.4G Thread


Thank you. Really, the lens shoots itself 🤓

AlexCruise wrote:
I might need to get mine out this weekend or something!

Excellent Captures!





Sep 11, 2026 at 05:41 PM
micke.vmix
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.375 #20 · The 58mm F/1.4G Thread


Season changeover...
...wide open.


Colours of Autumn by micke vmix, on Flickr
D500 + 58G at F1.4


What the fern!.... by micke vmix, on Flickr
D500 + 58G at F1.4


Dreamy star... by micke vmix, on Flickr
D500 + 58G at F1.4


Out of chlorophyll... by micke vmix, on Flickr
D500 + 58G at F1.4




Sep 11, 2026 at 10:03 PM
1       2       3       …       374              376       end






FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       374              376       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account