fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2              4       5       6       end
  

Archive 2013 · Cut lenscoat yourself to make it fit?

  
 
kbarrera
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · Cut lenscoat yourself to make it fit?


docsmiles17 wrote:
Thanks Al...which thickness stays in place better, the 3mm or 4mm


Sorry for the delayed reply. I was away. The 3 mm works best. I make sure I cut the pattern smaller to allow for sufficient stretch. On my big lenses, I use a double sided tape. I my case, golf gripping tape which is thin and is removed quite easily.
For the most part neoprene does not slide around a lot and usually stays put.
Hope that helps.

Al



Aug 06, 2013 at 03:52 PM
nodal
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · Cut lenscoat yourself to make it fit?


...On my big lenses, I use a double sided tape. I my case, golf gripping tape which is thin and is removed quite easily.
For the most part neoprene does not slide around a lot and usually stays put.
Hope that helps.

Al


Are you attaching the tape directly to the lense or to attach the neoprene to itself?



Aug 06, 2013 at 04:06 PM
kbarrera
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · Cut lenscoat yourself to make it fit?


I attach the tape to the lens.

Al



Aug 06, 2013 at 07:30 PM
graham_martin
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #4 · Cut lenscoat yourself to make it fit?


I have a question concerning the seal cement. I have received the neoprene from Rockywoods but they sent me what appears to be the wrong cement. They sent me the Aquaseal UV Cure Adhesive which apparently is more for repairing holes. I called them back and said I really need the Aquaseal cement Aquaseal cement.

Since that doesn't state that is for neoprene I then called McNett and I am going to buy their neoprene cement. My question is this. Do I overlap the neoprene and apply the cement to both sides thus creating a ridge where the ends overlap, or do I butt the ends up against each other and apply the cement to each end?



Aug 12, 2013 at 02:04 PM
3iron
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #5 · Cut lenscoat yourself to make it fit?


graham; I have repaired wet suits and you can edge butt and get full strength.


Aug 12, 2013 at 05:17 PM
graham_martin
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #6 · Cut lenscoat yourself to make it fit?


3iron wrote:
graham; I have repaired wet suits and you can edge butt and get full strength.


OK, thanks. I will try it out on a sample.



Aug 12, 2013 at 07:33 PM
lowbone
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #7 · Cut lenscoat yourself to make it fit?


trenchmonkey wrote:
Yeah, you can cut it w/no problems...but agree you shouldn't have to. I had an issue with a set
for a 200 f2. Mentioned on FM that the first one only lasted 2 yrs (sun exposure ate it up) and that
the new set was ill fitting at the base. Customer service/support was non-existant and some member
actually sent me the proper piece! I lost the envelope with his addy and was unable to properly thank
him...perhaps he's still around and will see this thread and come to the rescue. Kills me to lay out this
kind of coin for such a flimsy/short
...Show more →

I had a piece fail on my 500mm f4 about two years ago. I wrote the company and they sent a new piece ( no Charge). I guess company policy has changed since then.



Aug 13, 2013 at 07:36 AM
graham_martin
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #8 · Cut lenscoat yourself to make it fit?


Here is my first attempt at a DIY lenscoat. I used 3mm digital camo gray from Rockwoods, some tent repair cement from Gander Mountain, and two clamps. For different sections I tried different methods of joining the ends. On one section I overlapped by about 1/4" and used the cement. I used scotch tape to keep the ends secure while drying. (Be sure to follow the instructions so far as curing and drying times are concerned.) On two other sections I used double edged Velcro which makes it very easy to remove. For the lens hood I butted up the two ends against each other and used the cement. This was a little trickier because I had to find a way to keep the ends secure while it was drying I used two clamps. The next time I'm going to use some wax paper between the clamps and neoprene because the cement actually became partially glued to the clamps.

There is a fair amount of elasticity in the neoprene which makes it easy to stretch while going over the barrel.

I couldn't figure out an easy way to cut the neoprene to exactly match the shape of the hood petals. In the end I just left the petals sticking out about 1/4".












Aug 16, 2013 at 02:44 PM
acoll123
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #9 · Cut lenscoat yourself to make it fit?


I thought this fabulous lens (canon 200-400) needed a fabulous lens coat. . . .

Lenscoat and the others that sell these things don't have much besides bland colors and camo and are fairly expensive. I saved about $50 doing it myself and have something unique now. I know, I know what's $50 bucks after spending an arm and a leg on the lens but every bit counts . . . .

So, using the advice form this thread, I bought some neoprene (3mm), seam seal and seam tape. I made this in about an hour. I don't do a whole lot of wildlife, mainly sports so no need for camo - just want some extra protection. . . .

I might re-do the top piece - working around the bump out for the tele-converter was tricky. . . .












Aug 22, 2013 at 07:59 PM
nodal
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #10 · Cut lenscoat yourself to make it fit?


Don't take to shoot lions in Africe.


Aug 23, 2013 at 04:00 PM
graham_martin
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #11 · Cut lenscoat yourself to make it fit?


Very nice job. Where did you buy the neoprene from, Rockywoods or Seattle Fabric?


Aug 23, 2013 at 04:07 PM
acoll123
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #12 · Cut lenscoat yourself to make it fit?


graham_martin wrote:
Very nice job. Where did you buy the neoprene from, Rockywoods or Seattle Fabric?



foamorder.com - very good customer service



Aug 23, 2013 at 04:56 PM
Imagemaster
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #13 · Cut lenscoat yourself to make it fit?


Great choice if you are riding a zebra.


Aug 25, 2013 at 08:26 PM
acoll123
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #14 · Cut lenscoat yourself to make it fit?


Imagemaster wrote:
Great choice if you are riding a zebra.


I shot a HS football game Friday night and had far more people than usual ask me who I shoot for and ask for a business card - I gave out the 10 or so that I had and wished I had more. I have already sold enough photos from that game to more than cover the $50 I spent on this stuff. Poke fun if you like, but I doubt a camo or solid color would have resulting in these opportunities.



Aug 25, 2013 at 08:39 PM
graham_martin
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #15 · Cut lenscoat yourself to make it fit?


I had a similar experience yesterday when shooting Middle School Football. People seemed impressed with my camo covered lens and asked about my website. Unfortunately I can't sell any images because another guy has a contract with the team.


Aug 25, 2013 at 09:20 PM
acoll123
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #16 · Cut lenscoat yourself to make it fit?


Whatever works I say! I will use this for the season and then try something new for spring, maybe tiger stripes . . .


Aug 25, 2013 at 09:22 PM
Imagemaster
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #17 · Cut lenscoat yourself to make it fit?


acoll123 wrote:
but I doubt a camo or solid color would have resulting in these opportunities.


Well if you believe that, you should try a fluorescent orange one with Mickey Mouse ears on it.



Aug 26, 2013 at 10:56 AM
acoll123
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #18 · Cut lenscoat yourself to make it fit?


That would only work for the youth leagues - I'll send a picture when I do.


Aug 26, 2013 at 11:25 AM
pburke
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #19 · Cut lenscoat yourself to make it fit?


foamorder.com is a pretty good source - you just need to buy an entire sheet if you don't want the generic black 3mm, it appears.

What I learned since I made my 600mm lenscoat is that you really want to get the neoprene with raw vinyl on the inside, rather than the nylon on both sides. Anything that isn't completely flat tube (e.g. lens shade) will creep after a while and slide off the conical parts of the lens.

I think I need to redo mine one of these days, but I can't find a supplier of the digi camo with plain vinyl inside surface. I know it exists, because several of the LensCoat pieces I tried a few months ago were made of that type of material.

If I wanted to use the foamorder camo material, I could get it in the 2mm with vinyl inside, but you must buy a full $58.80 sheet at once, but 51" x 83" is enough material to start your own lens covering business



Aug 26, 2013 at 12:37 PM
acoll123
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #20 · Cut lenscoat yourself to make it fit?


I think they had some half sheet options - you might want to call and ask.


Aug 26, 2013 at 12:56 PM
1       2              4       5       6       end




FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2              4       5       6       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account