fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4              6       end
  

Archive 2013 · Cut lenscoat yourself to make it fit?

  
 
mpoole
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · Cut lenscoat yourself to make it fit?


Would you consider the 3mm neoprene to be fully waterproof? Thinking of making a rain cover out of it.
Thanks!



Dec 28, 2014 at 09:01 AM
kbarrera
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #2 · Cut lenscoat yourself to make it fit?


mpoole wrote:
Would you consider the 3mm neoprene to be fully waterproof? Thinking of making a rain cover out of it.
Thanks!


I think if it's good enough to make a wetsuit it should be good enough to make a rain cover.

Al



Dec 28, 2014 at 04:06 PM
Jeannean
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #3 · Cut lenscoat yourself to make it fit?


Very nice DIY idea! How much material do you need to do a Nikon 500mm f/4 lens and a 300mm f/2.8 lens?


Jan 05, 2015 at 10:21 AM
kbarrera
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #4 · Cut lenscoat yourself to make it fit?


Typically they sell it by the running foot. I always bought the equivelent of a square yard 36" x 36"

Al



Jan 05, 2015 at 07:41 PM
Snapshott
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #5 · Cut lenscoat yourself to make it fit?


Jeannean wrote:
Very nice DIY idea! How much material do you need to do a Nikon 500mm f/4 lens and a 300mm f/2.8 lens?


I recently just did my first one (with the help of this thread) and it's not too difficult. If you measure the widest circumference of the lens and the length of the lens it will give you the size of neoprene you need for each lens. I had a circular cutter and a metal ruler laying around and they helped immensely to get smooth straight lines.



Jan 06, 2015 at 09:08 PM
brett maxwell
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #6 · Cut lenscoat yourself to make it fit?


kbarrera wrote:
I think if it's good enough to make a wetsuit it should be good enough to make a rain cover.

Al


You realize you still get wet when wearing a wetsuit, right?



Jan 08, 2015 at 09:08 PM
Snapshott
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #7 · Cut lenscoat yourself to make it fit?


brett maxwell wrote:
You realize you still get wet when wearing a wetsuit, right?


But the water does not pass through the neoprene. It seeps in through the zippers and neck, arm, and ankle openings.



Jan 13, 2015 at 01:57 PM
kbarrera
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #8 · Cut lenscoat yourself to make it fit?


brett maxwell wrote:
You realize you still get wet when wearing a wetsuit, right?


NO S@#T ? All this time that I was standing in the ocean, surf fishing, with my WATERPROOF NEOPRENE WADERS I thought I was staying dry.




Jan 13, 2015 at 07:05 PM
Methodical
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #9 · Cut lenscoat yourself to make it fit?


How long does it take you'll to make these?


Jan 19, 2015 at 09:01 PM
kbarrera
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #10 · Cut lenscoat yourself to make it fit?


Methodical wrote:
How long does it take you'll to make these?


It takes me about an hour to make a lens coat for my 600 plus a little extra time for the logo.

Al



Jan 22, 2015 at 08:35 PM
pburke
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #11 · Cut lenscoat yourself to make it fit?


update after two summers of use: most of my lens cover pieces work like on day one, except for the smaller pieces, or those that had to be attached with double sided tape because the lens mount stopped me from cutting a circular piece. And a 1 inch wide skinny piece cut to cover a steep rise towards the larger front elements just would not stay in place, so I removed it. Some sort of adhesive may have helped, but that area is really not exposed to hits

do things differently? Cut the pieces on the hood tighter, the do slide around a little. Cut the rear piece shorter so I can turn the aperture ring (manual focus lens) without the neoprene trying to turn it right back on me.

The lens fit inside the travel case is really snug, but not a show stopper.

Time and money well invested. I will do this with every larger lens I carry around at the race track.



Aug 06, 2015 at 08:03 AM
Iman113
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #12 · Cut lenscoat yourself to make it fit?


Thanks to this thread, I have also done a DYI lenscoat on a prime lens. Now I am working on a second lens and have a question: do you cover the extension tube on a zoom lens like the Sigma 150-600? If so, how?


Aug 21, 2015 at 05:57 PM
Imagemaster
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #13 · Cut lenscoat yourself to make it fit?


Just use a piece of a nylon sock with an elastic band holding it on at each end.


Aug 21, 2015 at 10:15 PM
kbarrera
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #14 · Cut lenscoat yourself to make it fit?


Imagemaster wrote:
Just use a piece of a nylon sock with an elastic band holding it on at each end.


Well that figures.



Aug 22, 2015 at 09:53 AM
BugLightGeek
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #15 · Cut lenscoat yourself to make it fit?


kbarrera wrote:
Good for you Mitesh. Make sure you check out the video on You Tube, where Lenscoat demonstrates measuring and fitting. It's a big help.

Good luck and post your results.

Al



Just wondering if anyone has the link to that YouTube demonstration video...I'm not finding it.




Sep 08, 2015 at 05:45 PM
Imagemaster
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #16 · Cut lenscoat yourself to make it fit?


Did you type lenscoat and YouTube into Google?


Sep 08, 2015 at 07:41 PM
mitesh
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #17 · Cut lenscoat yourself to make it fit?


BugLightGeek wrote:
Just wondering if anyone has the link to that YouTube demonstration video...I'm not finding it.


You're not finding it on YouTube because it's not on YouTube . Here it is on Vimeo:




Sep 09, 2015 at 12:20 AM
architect7
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #18 · Cut lenscoat yourself to make it fit?


This is the neoprene I purchased for my DIY lenscoats. There may be cheaper options but this is the best camo pattern I have found that you can buy in raw form. One sheet will easily cover ~6+ superteles, great value for someone who doesn't mind cutting. I also ordered Neoprene seal cement but ended up using Gorilla Glue camo tape to hold each piece together because I was in a hurry. I'll glue them together someday but so far it has taken a fair amount of use with zero issues on my 200-400mm f4G VR1:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00FMVAOEE/ref=mp_s_a_1_10?qid=1441792577&sr=8-10&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=camo+neoprene

Edit: Here's the link to the camo tape that I use and really like. Just be sure to cut it with scissors, it does not rip very easily by hand (which I think is a good thing for durability):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008UEWIW6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1



Sep 09, 2015 at 05:01 AM
BugLightGeek
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #19 · Cut lenscoat yourself to make it fit?


mitesh wrote:
You're not finding it on YouTube because it's not on YouTube . Here it is on Vimeo:



Thanks!



Sep 09, 2015 at 05:16 PM
dalite
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #20 · Cut lenscoat yourself to make it fit?


If anyone of you folks have a scrap piece of black or camouflage neoprene measuring 3.25" x 15.75" (2mm or 3mm thickness OK) sell it to me. I will pay for it. I don't need to buy yards of the stuff.


Sep 18, 2015 at 04:38 PM
1       2       3       4              6       end




FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4              6       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account