Deadline: August 20th noon UTC/GMT

WA Rules ยท Current entries

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · #476 Longing for a Better Place

wifi
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · #476 Longing for a Better Place

In the spirit of this week's assignment "Out of Place", I went to the local Zoo to capture some creatures that were certainly not in their correct place. I ended up with what I felt were two candidate images for this week's submission. I was having a difficult time deciding which to post, so I asked for some advice over in the critique forum. If you would like to see the other, here's the link:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1062677

This Colobus monkey did not look too happy lying there. When I stopped to photograph him, he just gave me this stare - as if to say "get me out of here, please".

Longing for a Better Place

Edited on Nov 22, 2011 at 11:30 PM · View previous versions

Nov 21, 2011 at 11:50 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · #476 Longing for a Better Place

such a sad image...I know exactly what you mean by it, and it is very well conveyed. Same feeling I get when I go to the zoo.

Nov 22, 2011 at 07:29 AM
Oregon Gal
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · #476 Longing for a Better Place

He can come live with me! Those eyes say it all.

Nov 22, 2011 at 10:30 AM
Pete A
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · #476 Longing for a Better Place

This beautiful creature should be in its natural home. Unfortunately, so many habitats are being destroyed without thought for the indigenous species. A lovely picture but so sad.

Nov 22, 2011 at 11:13 AM
mark fadely
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · #476 Longing for a Better Place

Well done, I like it and it fits the theme very well. I might clone out those hairs or whatever they are. The DOF is nice here too.

Nov 22, 2011 at 02:28 PM
ts232
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · #476 Longing for a Better Place

The rusted link and crumbling plywood are nice elements of this image. You did a nice job of finding an angle that included those in the frame.

Nov 22, 2011 at 02:30 PM
wifi
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · #476 Longing for a Better Place

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. I also received some advice in the critique forum to crop this a little closer, and I agree it does look better.

I should also note that one obstacle I had to overcome here was a wire fence between me and the monkey. You can see some of the vertical artifacts from the fence on the top of the monkey's head and elsewhere if you look. Thank goodness long lenses and shallow DOF make such things nearly disappear. However, thinking about this some more, having a faint image of the cage in the foreground could have actually added to the image.

I'll remove the hairs near the chain (thanks Mark), crop a little tighter, maybe tone down the saturation a little, and repost.

Nov 22, 2011 at 09:57 PM
wifi
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · #476 Longing for a Better Place

Hmmm, I need to calibrate at least one of my monitors. On the analog (VGA) monitor the colors look how I would like them. On the digital monitor (DVI), they look too saturated. Hopefully most of you are seeing what I see on the analog.

Nov 23, 2011 at 12:06 AM
mark fadely
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · #476 Longing for a Better Place

Colors look right on my monitor (maybe a tad oversaturated only on the yellow chain). The image is more compelling with the crop and elimination of the hairs. It's very powerful, nice job.

Nov 23, 2011 at 12:06 PM

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.