Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · RRS QR CLAMP vs KIRK PLATE?

Chuck Loftis
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · RRS QR CLAMP vs KIRK PLATE?

e.g. IS ARCA SWISS always "ARCA SWISS" ?
I've used Wimberley plates & Sidekick on RRS Quick Release clamps.

Are the KIRK PLATE COMPATIBLE ??

(A screw-type clamp is more forgiving to tolerances - Im talking about the QUICK RELEASE types here.)

Anyone have any experience with this ?

Aug 06, 2011 at 05:34 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · RRS QR CLAMP vs KIRK PLATE?

RRS only guarentees that RRS and Wimberley plates will fit the RRS lever clamps. this is because they both build to the same tolerances.

i have only one kirk plate (the rest are RRS plates from 1990 to the present) and it fits the RRS lever clamp but a bit snugger then RRS plate. most here have found that current Kirk plates generally fit the RRS lever lock.

Aug 06, 2011 at 05:46 PM
Chuck Loftis
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · RRS QR CLAMP vs KIRK PLATE?

Thanks for this reply -- Personal experience (sample of 1) is about as good an answer as we are going to get, I think.
Snug is better than lose. Worth the try.

Aug 06, 2011 at 05:53 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · RRS QR CLAMP vs KIRK PLATE?

I have a bunch of plates from various manufacturers and they all fit except a 1990s Kirk plate. For many years now Kirk has used the same size as RRS, so it is not a problem. However, I avoid the lever type clamp as much as possible. I still have one product with that lever, which has failed and I am hoping that RRS can fix it since it is no longer made.

EBH

Aug 06, 2011 at 05:59 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · RRS QR CLAMP vs KIRK PLATE?

what part is that?

Aug 06, 2011 at 06:23 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · RRS QR CLAMP vs KIRK PLATE?

I don't know the number. Even the guy at RRS did not know what the part number was until I sent a photo, since it was 6 years old. I should send it in one of these days and it should be less than $450 original cost.

EBH

Aug 06, 2011 at 06:30 PM
Roland W
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · RRS QR CLAMP vs KIRK PLATE?

I have a few Kirk plates that are too loose for my Really Right Stuff lever release clamps, and I just purchased them at a bargain price direct from Kirk. I now just use them with the few screw clamps I still have. So obviously Kirk does not always make things at the size that works in RRS lever quick release clamps. So in your case I would just stick with RRS plates, and you will have no issues.

I am a long time user of Really Right Stuff lever release clamps and RRS L brackets and lens plates, and I highly recomend the system. If you are putting your camera on and off of a ball head or other device often, or are changing from portrait to landscape often, the speed of clamping combined with a secure hold is really a joy to use.

Aug 06, 2011 at 06:58 PM
Ariel Bravy
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · RRS QR CLAMP vs KIRK PLATE?

I've had one Kirk plate and multiple RRS plates. With my RRS head, I found that the RRS plates fit perfectly, while the shape of the Kirk dovetail made it such that clamping an RRS clamp was TOUGH... You had to basically force the RRS clamp down onto the Kirk plate since the dovetails of the Kirk plate were built a little more square than the dovetails of the RRS plate.

It's only one Kirk sample, sure, but it's still a sample. Might be a good idea to stick with RRS just to ensure complete compatibility.

Aug 07, 2011 at 02:25 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.