Zeiss ZE/ZF.2 35mm f/1.4 (according to Roger Cicala/lens rentals.com)
/forum/topic/987333/27

1       2       3              27      
       29       end

PratyushPandya
Total Posts: 14

Thanks, Phil.

I doubt it. The focus was on the letter R in Resort in both shots.

philber
Total Posts: 7212

Then it could be just an optical delusion, because both shots are not identical, as posted here. I happen to have shot this lens very briefly. I tried it wide open, and it was maybe not super sharp, but not close to anything soft in the centre. And your shots disply the magnificent bokeh and great 3D...

PratyushPandya

Do you think it’s a soft copy then? Should I send it back and exchange it with another?

philber

Fact is, PP that at f1.4, your DOF is razor thin. Lloyd Chambers reports having trouble focusing it. He also talks about some "haze" wide open due to uncorrected spherical aberrations. That does not make the lens itself "soft". My sugegsiton is that you shopuld play with it some more, maybe micro-adjust it if you can, until you are sure to have extracted the last ounce of sharpness form it. Then, and only then, can you decide if (a) it is a soft copy, (b), you feel this lens is not for you, or (c), you jus love it despite the quirks...

PratyushPandya

You’re absolutely right. I am going to take it outside and play with it some more.

I know I love the focal length; I have 35L and love it. And I am a big fan of the Zeiss look, ‘cause I have 21/2.8, 28/2, 50 MP, and 100 MP, and love them all.

Thank you so much.

auriga
Total Posts: 30

PratyushPandya take some other shots and post them so we can see. if the focus is always wrong you could try and try shot again. you must use a tripod to be sure. try some shot outside at dusk or with light and post. zeiss is the best lens

auriga

is the diaphragm manual or auto or both?

philber

PratyushPandya wrote:
You�re absolutely right. I am going to take it outside and play with it some more.

I know I love the focal length; I have 35L and love it. And I am a big fan of the Zeiss look, �cause I have 21/2.8, 28/2, 50 MP, and 100 MP, and love them all.

Thank you so much.

Have fun, PP! I ordered mine a year ago, and still no sign of it...

joakim
Total Posts: 1331

philber wrote:
Have fun, PP! I ordered mine a year ago, and still no sign of it...

Mine arrived yesterday but I'm not at home right now so it is in the tender
care of UPS right now Hopefully I can retrieve it on Monday.

philber

Congratulations, Joakim!

j.liam
Total Posts: 2275

Adorama and B&H............are both sold out after 48 hours but Popflash Photo in Los Angeles still has some AND at a discount!

http://www.popflash.com/zeiss-lenses/zeiss-35mm-f/1.4-ze-distagon-t-canon-ef-mount-usa-new/

JaanOs
Total Posts: 114

I kind of like drawing style of new 35mm 1.4. At least close distance. Keep fingers crossed while following this thread (new v old C/Y).
Kind of relief. Only need to figure out how to avoid taking pictures in high contrast situations CA can be really bad. At least I managed to get very clearly separated ones. ACR find by ticking auto 35/2 lensprofile and it seems to be totally different about CA correction.

Mirek Elsner
Total Posts: 1020

JaanOs - Is your LR/ACR able to recognize the lens as Zeiss ZE 35/1.4? My LR only recognizes it as a generic 35/1.4, while other ZEs are recognized as "Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/50ZE" etc.

JaanOs
Total Posts: 114

No, it is too much to ask I have not used 6.4 RC, will pass.
In ACR 6.3 I have if I tick "Enable Lens Profile Corrections" it pick Zeiss Distagon T* 2/35 ZE.

j.liam
Total Posts: 2275

To Whom It May Concern...Adorama and B&H are now both out of the ZE 35/1.4. Popflash in LA still lists availability and at a discount, $1800.

joakim
Total Posts: 1331

Well, it finally arrived today so here are a few from this evening. The first two at 1.4 then one at 2.8 and the last one is 8.0

PratyushPandya

Looks nice. You can see the typical 3D rendition.

Mine did not look this sharp, so I am sending it back to B & H, and ordered one from popflash photo.

auriga

hello did you have the right to withdraw on the lens on b&h?they give you back money or it regards guarantee?sorry for english

philber

Joakim, your second shot had me shaking my head, litterally. Not that the others are bad, either. Arrrrgh, the wait...

PratyushPandya

You can return your purchase within 15 days from the day you receive it. I have the option of either exchanging it or getting money refunded.

1       2       3              27      
       29       end