What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?
/forum/topic/982966/4

1       2       3       4      
       6              205       206       end

AhamB
Total Posts: 5106

They are all adaptable to EOS and some of then (Samyang, Zeiss ZE, Voigtländer (CV)) are available in native EF mount. One or two of the mentioned Contax lenses have been reported by some to have some problem with catching the mirror on the 5D/5DmkII but many people also use them without problems on those cameras.

helimat
Total Posts: 3749

onegreatcity wrote:
Hello to all, I'm new to this section of FM. I just dipped a toe in the 'alt water' with a Minolta Rokkor 58 1.4 and I love it! I'd like to go wider with another fast prime (converted to EOS). Any suggestions? Thanks!
-Cam

Minolta Rokkor 35/1.8...

CVickery
Total Posts: 2654

onegreatcity wrote:
CVickery wrote:

You need to be more specific about details such as $, focal length, aperture, etc if you want a manageble list. But for your consideration:

Samyang 14/2.8, Tamron SP17/3.5, Oly 21/2, 21/3.5, 24/2, 24/2.8, 28/3.5, Zeiss ZF/ZE 21/2.8, 25/2.8, 35/2, Contax 21/2.8, 28/2.8,35/1.4, Nikon AiS 28/2, 35/1.4, CV 20/3.5, 40/2 ......

I don't want to hijack the original intent of the thread but...
I shoot Canon crop frame right now with a (remote) possibility of going FF in the next year or so. I'd like to explore 24-50mm somewhere in the f/1.2 - f/2.0 range. Are all of the lenses you mention adaptable to EOS? I picked up a Fotodiox FD-EOS adapter because I've seen some good local deals on FD glass. Should I be concentrating on modified glass (ala the Jim Buchanan conversions)?

As for $$, I have no oil well in my backyard so budget is always a consideration.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask these questions (!!) but thanks for the suggestions...

In that range, I'd focus on the Oly 24/2, 28/2, Nikon 28/2, CV 40/2 and helimat's 35/1.8 (Which seems to be and good option and coincidentally he's selling right now...shameless plug for a good guy ) There's a lot of info here so do a search.

The FD adapter isn't a a great idea IMO. You won't get infinity focus without optics in the adapter and the adapter optics are generally crap. The alternative is to have the lens converted, the difficulty and cost of which vary depending on the lens. There's a reason why they are cheap.

sebboh
Total Posts: 10763

helimat wrote:
onegreatcity wrote:
Hello to all, I'm new to this section of FM. I just dipped a toe in the 'alt water' with a Minolta Rokkor 58 1.4 and I love it! I'd like to go wider with another fast prime (converted to EOS). Any suggestions? Thanks!
-Cam

Minolta Rokkor 35/1.8...

the rokkor 28/2 is stellar as well.

onegreatcity
Total Posts: 1489

helimat wrote:

Minolta Rokkor 35/1.8...

Ha! Yer killing me! I'm pretending didn't see the listing; it's my classic passive/aggressive negotiation tactic, lol!

onegreatcity

CVickery wrote:

The FD adapter isn't a a great idea IMO. You won't get infinity focus without optics in the adapter and the adapter optics are generally crap.

Yes, this is consistent with what I've read. I got the adapter real cheap and I've got friends with old FD glass to experiment with so it seems like a low-risk proposition right now. Low risk might equal low reward however...

Steve Spencer
Total Posts: 7852

helimat wrote:
onegreatcity wrote:
-Cam

Minolta Rokkor 35/1.8...

Matt is selling his, but I am keeping mine. It really is a very nice lens, and definitely worth considering.

helimat

Ha ha! Busted with my shameless plug. Thanks guys for backing me up!

onegreatcity wrote:

Ha! Yer killing me! I'm pretending didn't see the listing; it's my classic passive/aggressive negotiation tactic, lol!

Well... It might be working. PM and we can talk deal...

onegreatcity

helimat wrote:
Ha ha! Busted with my shameless plug. Thanks guys for backing me up!

onegreatcity wrote:

Well... It might be working. PM and we can talk deal...

Shameless, yet effective!

buggz2k
Total Posts: 1728

Just got an EOS mount converted Minolta Rokkor 58f1.2!
What a piece of glass! Hehe.
This lens is gonna rock, ROCK ON ROKKOR!
A bit psyched, can ya tell?
*8^)

sirimiri
Total Posts: 3481

I honestly don't remember what my latest alt lens purchase was. I kind of went nuts a few years ago and then slowed down. When you have lenses in your sock drawers, you have a problem.

cj velez
Total Posts: 172

My MIR 24N 35 mm f/2 finally arrived yesterday. Bought from a US Ebay store November 26 last year and shipped by seller Dec. 1 via USPS. Waited, waited and then gave up. Considered it lost then unexpectedly it showed up.

crazeazn
Total Posts: 1733

two 1.4s!

helimat

Nice! I wouldn't mind getting those two... Then I would have the Contax holy trinity.

crazeazn

15mm apart
35+15 = 50
50 +15 = 85

however, i think i may go the other direction and get the 21
35-15 =! 21

almost....

how easy is it to focus the 84 wide open?

DocsPics
Total Posts: 2547

I'm not buying another lens....never ever ever again.

DocsPics

.....ever

DocsPics

(Well maybe just one more)

crazeazn

this thread makes me spend money.....

now I need to get a new body.... 1d3 or 5d2 sighs

nsarcastic
Total Posts: 210

For me it was the Zeiss 100 - 300, 'cause I really needed another lens in that range.... (I swear this pic was razor sharp before resizing and posting...yuck)

1       2       3       4      
       6              205       206       end