What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?
/forum/topic/982966/130

1       2       3              130      
       132              188       189       end

JohnJ
Total Posts: 1995

Peire wrote:
Just bought OM Zuiko MC 28/2.

I really like this lens, more so than the Contax and Leica R 28 E55, but for it's aberrations and character. I almost always use it wide open.

R.Young
Total Posts: 959

Just ordered a sigma 35 1.4. I already have the contax which I love, but need an AF lens for people so am looking forward to testing them and deciding whether to keep both or not.

Peire
Total Posts: 1322

sculptormic wrote:
Visuals wrote:
Zeiss 35mm f2

It comes attached to my Sony RX1 though :-)

Now that is a very good lens, it has a lot of distortion, though

I just bought a Minolta MD Zoom Rokkor 75-200 mm 1:4.5 for € 12.50
Always wanted to try it out. It is the one without Macro capability but this one is sharper at the longer end.
It is one of the zooms which has a Minolta optical design shared with Leitz.
Like the:
Minolta MD 35-70mm f3.5 macro
Minolta MD 70-210mm f4 macro
Minolta MD 75-200 f4.5

MD Rokkor 75-200/4.5 is ok but sharpness faloff from center of the frame to edges is too much pronounced for me.I resold it.70-210/4 is better with more even sharpness and macro facility.Together with 35-70/3.5 it makes up for a nice set of zooms with IQ close to Minolta primes.

This picture was taken with 70-210/4 md at 210 and f4.This is a heavy crop (about 10%) of the original picture.Some CA visible.

Gunzorro
Total Posts: 6552

The Nikkor 35mm f/3.5 PC lens (non-AI, c. 1967-ish) arrived. The lens is in excellent condition for its age and all functions operate smoothly.

I'd previously owned a newer "black knob" version (c. 1980) which was a nicer (and faster), but still had many of the same traits and characteristics as this earlier lens. I don't know why, but Nikon has always had a problem with its retro-focus WA designs, at least the 24/2, 28/2, and 35/2 (2 copies) in the A- to AI-s range. For many lenses, they've copied the basic lens designs from the 60s, on up to the more recent AF production. The main main "bad" genetic trait passed down from generation to generation is severe curvature of field, and the unsharpness and other aberrations that attend it.

The first shot is a quick hand held 3-shot pano, shot wide open at f/3.5 -- you can see the severe fall-off/vignetting/softness on the extreme edges -- this effect shows even at the centered position when viewed at higher magnification.

On the plus side, the lens has wonderful color and very good sharpness. Contrast is excellent and very high. If I didn't mention its age, no one would think these images are from an ancient relic of the 35mm film days. Very accurate color on my Canon cameras (tried the 1Ds3 and 5D2 today for quick shots at our house -- Carsten, you are going to hate seeing more of my yard! Sorry! ). Also on the plus side was the price -- $200, the same I paid for the EF 40mm STM "pancake", so that's a bargain and a half.

freaklikeme
Total Posts: 5715

JohnJ wrote:
Peire wrote:
Just bought OM Zuiko MC 28/2.

I really like this lens, more so than the Contax and Leica R 28 E55, but for it's aberrations and character. I almost always use it wide open.

It's a great lens in tight spots. I preferred the Leica R for landscapes, but the Oly was my go-to for less than 5M and closer when I shot Canon.

freaklikeme

Got a good deal on a user-condition Nikon AI 300/2.8. I had to get a front cap separately, but all together I'm only in $700, and mechanically and optically, it's quite the performer. Very center-sharp wide open, and with the a99's SteadyShot, I can get down to 1/200 hand-held without any effort, 1/125 if I'm rock solid in my stance. I'm excited to try it out with extenders now.

jcolwell
Total Posts: 20893

I was thinking to myself, "Self, you need a bigger pair of binoculars". Now, I have them.

freaklikeme

Wow. Spying on the people in Greenland, Jim?

jcolwell
Total Posts: 20893

mpmendenhall
Total Posts: 2034

I have so far lamentably neglected to explore the Nikon F lens line, but now have started plans in motion to remedy that problem. First to arrive: a Zoom Nikkor 25-50/4 AI-s (design first produced 1979; this copy in the range made '81-'85).

From my first trip out to test the lens:

I can confirm that the good reputation of this zoom is well founded. Geometric distortions are well controlled, very little lateral CA (better than many primes in this range); good sharpness that sometimes needs a little stopping down (depending on focal length) to extend to the far corners; highly flare resistant.

sebboh
Total Posts: 10581

mpmendenhall wrote:
I have so far lamentably neglected to explore the Nikon F lens line, but now have started plans in motion to remedy that problem. First to arrive: a Zoom Nikkor 25-50/4 AI-s (design first produced 1979; this copy in the range made '81-'85).

dude! what kind of crazy lighting have you got showing up here?

mpmendenhall
Total Posts: 2034

sebboh wrote:

bare-bulb LED flashlight, swirling around during 15s exposure. Either that, or some kind of really terrible green glowing lens fungus.

sebboh
Total Posts: 10581

mpmendenhall wrote:
sebboh wrote:

bare-bulb LED flashlight, swirling around during 15s exposure. Either that, or some kind of really terrible green glowing lens fungus.

yeah, after i posted i looked at your exif and figured that must be it. if it's the fungus you should try and grow it to sell (or flee for your life).

Gunzorro
Total Posts: 6552

Jim -- Nice and big!

Michael -- Thanks! I've always been curious about that lens. Looks very good.

LightShow
Total Posts: 5036

Just received an email from PayPal that my payment went through, only I haven't bought anything in 2weeks, so I made a claim and changed my password.
Edit: Resolved.

cavewalker
Total Posts: 317

The new Voigtländer Nokton 1,5/50 aspherical

Voigtländer Nokton 1,5/50 asph by Urmelchen, on Flickr

Jman13
Total Posts: 10627

joe88
Total Posts: 2228

Thanks to recommendations from fellow ALT FM'ers, I picked up a used OM Zuiko 50 3.5 Macro lens. Adapting to use it on a Leica rangefinder, is that ALT enough for some of you?

buggz2k
Total Posts: 1670

"silver" Jupiter-3 50/f1.5, Leica screw mount.
Again, the lens before the adapter thing, sigh...
Anywho, just bought a Rainbow Imaging adapter for my FujiFilm X-E1.
So now, I wait some more...

buggz2k
Total Posts: 1670

Nice!
Is that just released?
I haven't been keeping up.

cavewalker wrote:
The new Voigtländer Nokton 1,5/50 aspherical

1       2       3              130      
       132              188       189       end