What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?
/forum/topic/982966/127

1       2       3              127      
       129              199       200       end

j.liam
Total Posts: 2287

Tariq Gibran wrote:
jcolwell wrote:
Tariq Gibran wrote:
A Pentax A* 85 1.4 arrived last week. What a gorgeous lens.

No way! Show us, please. Both images of, and images from.

The SMC Pentax-A* 85mm f/1.4 and SMC Pentax-A* 135mm f/1.8 are at the top of my "most wanted" list, right next to the Schneider-K MF 80/2.8.

If you don't mind, what is the lens condition, and how much did it cost?

I was really lucky as I snagged it within minutes of it popping up on the auction site. Just over $1200 after currency conversion and it is really in MINT condition! Here are some pics of the lens and then a wide open test shot (hand held and not really sharp at 100% due to me!). I have not really shot anything serious yet except for test shots to make sure the lens performed up to it's legendary status. It does. Sharp wide open with great color and rendering. There is a little CA and fringing in very contrasty, back-lit situations until stopped down but both are completely correctable with ACR/ LR now. This is the best 85 I have ever used - better than the Canon 85 1.2L FD I once owned even.

I wonder how this lens sizes up against the Leica R 80 Summilux?

CVickery
Total Posts: 2643

I had been trying to sell my Summicron M 50/2 Collapsible, but I decided I'd keep it, so I needed to get something to put behind it...

Gary Clennan
Total Posts: 5290

Nice Cal!!

Tariq Gibran
Total Posts: 10840

j.liam wrote:
Tariq Gibran wrote:
jcolwell wrote:
Tariq Gibran wrote:
A Pentax A* 85 1.4 arrived last week. What a gorgeous lens.

No way! Show us, please. Both images of, and images from.

The SMC Pentax-A* 85mm f/1.4 and SMC Pentax-A* 135mm f/1.8 are at the top of my "most wanted" list, right next to the Schneider-K MF 80/2.8.

If you don't mind, what is the lens condition, and how much did it cost?

I was really lucky as I snagged it within minutes of it popping up on the auction site. Just over $1200 after currency conversion and it is really in MINT condition! Here are some pics of the lens and then a wide open test shot (hand held and not really sharp at 100% due to me!). I have not really shot anything serious yet except for test shots to make sure the lens performed up to it's legendary status. It does. Sharp wide open with great color and rendering. There is a little CA and fringing in very contrasty, back-lit situations until stopped down but both are completely correctable with ACR/ LR now. This is the best 85 I have ever used - better than the Canon 85 1.2L FD I once owned even.

I wonder how this lens sizes up against the Leica R 80 Summilux?

I don't know. That Summilux is a lens I have always wanted to try. Both are somewhat similar seven element designs. Photodo's measured MTF's show higher contrast wide open and better performance across the frame stopped down for the Pentax compared to Leica's MTF's for the Summilux (but we all know there is more to it than measurements).

Gunzorro
Total Posts: 6762

It doesn't look like the Pentax 135mm lens will work out for me.

I'd forgotten the finicky behavior of some Alt lenses when using manual aperture -- over-exposure errors when closing down. Nearly one stop less on this lens from f/2.5 to 5.6. The color is wonderful, but the focus precision is not, nor is the sharpness as good as I'd like.

So far, this makes six attempts with inexpensive 135mm Alt that have all struck out for me. Best results so far have been from the Leica R and Contax Zeiss (C/Y) models. This one is right in the middle for performance.

X-posted from Canon Spring thread.

PhotoMaximum
Total Posts: 1042

How are you focussing these manual lenses? LV while using a tripod or handheld using the eyepiece viewfinder? If you are using the viewfinder then keep in mind that many modern DSLR cameras suck at proving accurate manual focus. The best manual focusing camera I ever used was the Pentax LX with a Beattie matte focus screen. Using that camera with the Pentax A* 85/1.4 was a dream. I never really knew how bad my modern Canons were at manual focus until I got my 58/1.2 Rokkor converted. I then went through the whole shim/washer exercise to get the view screen shimmed accurately.

Gunzorro

Generally, I do pretty good with viewfinder focusing on the 1Ds3 and 5D2. Recently did a series with Samyang 85/1.4 and it was pretty spot-on. Also zero problem with the Canon TS-E lenses. I had trouble with this lens yesterday afternoon on the 1DS3, and today on the 5D3 in bright overcast conditions both times.

I find WA lenses to be most difficult to establish correct manual focus due to low magnification of the viewfinder. Faster normal to telephoto don't provide much problem if properly adjusted.

I just don't need the hassle. One day I'll break down and buy the 135L lens and get some proper AF.

PhotoMaximum
Total Posts: 1042

Using a matte focus screen gives you a darker image but yields more feedback when using manual focus. Unfortunatley the latest trend is that more and more cameras do not have interchangeable focus screens...

buggz2k
Total Posts: 1718

Wow, wow, wow!
Good for me, Canon FD 85/2.8 arrived today.
I was feeling kind of sick when I saw the box it was in.
Luckily? it was also in the hard lens case.
Though, I don't store lens in old cases, ever.
Anywho, not a scratch on the lens anywhere, and pristine glass, not even dust!
Amazing, same with the hood.
Last time I looked on eBay prices, I paid a 1/4 of those prices for this one.
Sorry to be long winded, I am still shocked of the bargain I got.
I just HAD to tell someone.
*8^)

buggz2k wrote:
Wow! This Canon FD 500/4.5L is super LIGHT!
I got it today.

And the price I paid for the FD 85/2.8 soft focus was unbelievably low!
Haven't gotten it yet, hoping good thoughts...

Gunzorro

PhotoMaximum wrote:
Using a matte focus screen gives you a darker image but yields more feedback when using manual focus. Unfortunatley the latest trend is that more and more cameras do not have interchangeable focus screens...

Yes, I never change to the "S" type screen. Far too dark for slower lenses and zooms, which I use more often than fast manual focus lenses.

mcbroomf
Total Posts: 2453

Nik-Nex turbo adapter and a 28/2 Petri in K mount

Mike

ebookman
Total Posts: 710

Minolta MD Zoom 35-70mm f/3.5 (55mm filter) non-macro version. I have read a lot about this lens and I had an opportunity to acquire a mint copy for less than $100, I decided to try it. It is extremely well made and smooth to operate. I slapped on an MD-Nex adapter and went out to try it.

mcbroomf
Total Posts: 2453

That looks excellent.. I recently bought the macro version. Also very good.

Mike

sebboh
Total Posts: 10705

a side effect of my recent g28 conversion is that i have the option of using it as a macro lens on film:

Peire
Total Posts: 1373

Zuiko 24/2 - not bad but only slightly better than 24/2.8.
Nikkor micro 105/2.8 VR +Nikon D7000 - not so alt,but sometimes vibration reduction is very helpful in taking aps-c closeups

helimat
Total Posts: 3748

Gunzorro wrote:
PhotoMaximum wrote:

Yes, I never change to the "S" type screen. Far too dark for slower lenses and zooms, which I use more often than fast manual focus lenses.

I couldn't live without it. Which is why my 5D3 never sees manual lenses unless tripod-mounted.

Peire
Total Posts: 1373

Another MC W Rokkor 24/2.8 55mm (not SI,not MD) - excellent and only 99Euro -before they disappear I don't mind not so sharp corners and some LCA.The colour and overall rendering is what I really like.

Kit Laughlin
Total Posts: 3546

Olympus OM 50/3.5, from KEH, EX grade. Looks like it's never been on a body. I will be using this on a NEX 6, as soon as I can find an adapter that works.

In discussion with an ebay merchant as we speak. This FL will be so useful on the NEX 6. Its combination of peaking and magnification makes all MF lenses a breeze to operate.

Kingfishphoto
Total Posts: 6859

Hi Kit.
Can you explain what focus peaking is on the Sony ? and how it works ?
Thanks
Harry Palmer

StudioE18
Total Posts: 4

Came about with these two lenses recently:

- Zeiss 15mm f2.8 ZF.2
- Zeiss 135mm f2 ZF.2

1       2       3              127      
       129              199       200       end