What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?
/forum/topic/982966/126

1       2       3              126      
       128              186       187       end

LightShow
Total Posts: 4991

mcbroomf wrote:
28/2 Kiron in Pentax mount and a Kiev-4 to rip the lens mount off and see if I can use it to attach a Nikon 50/2 S mount RF lens to a Nex. If it works I may look for some other cheap RF lenses.

Mike

I bought one of these, and a Helios 103, infinity was bang on, and its sharp wide open.(Search: Contax RF to find more)

An adapter + a lens:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Contax-RF-Nikon-S-Mount-to-Sony-NEX-E-Mount-Adapter-Antique-Lens-I-26m-2-8-52-/360655258112

Just the adapter:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Contax-RF-Nikon-S-Mount-to-Sony-NEX-E-Mount-Adapter-/200923962988

A test shot from the 103 on my 7
Large test pic

Tariq Gibran
Total Posts: 10476

A Pentax A* 85 1.4 arrived last week. What a gorgeous lens.

jcolwell
Total Posts: 20671

Tariq Gibran wrote:

No way! Show us, please. Both images of, and images from.

The SMC Pentax-A* 85mm f/1.4 and SMC Pentax-A* 135mm f/1.8 are at the top of my "most wanted" list, right next to the Schneider-K MF 80/2.8.

If you don't mind, what is the lens condition, and how much did it cost?

sebboh
Total Posts: 10282

mcbroomf wrote:
28/2 Kiron in Pentax mount and a Kiev-4 to rip the lens mount off and see if I can use it to attach a Nikon 50/2 S mount RF lens to a Nex. If it works I may look for some other cheap RF lenses.

Mike

cool, i'll be interested to here how it goes!

mcbroomf
Total Posts: 2350

LightShow wrote:
mcbroomf wrote:

Mike

I bought one of these, and a Helios 103, infinity was bang on, and its sharp wide open.(Search: Contax RF to find more)

An adapter + a lens:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Contax-RF-Nikon-S-Mount-to-Sony-NEX-E-Mount-Adapter-Antique-Lens-I-26m-2-8-52-/360655258112

Just the adapter:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Contax-RF-Nikon-S-Mount-to-Sony-NEX-E-Mount-Adapter-/200923962988

A test shot from the 103 on my 7
Large test pic

Oh that's excellent, thanks. If I'd known about that I'd have skipped the body. I'd only seen the very expensive Amedeo RF-M adapter and copies, all north of $200. I'll give it a go in any case, the mount simply unscrews from the body, and will then need heavy trimming and some kind of Nex adapter + shims glued on the back. It will no doubt be really ugly, but if it doesn't work for some reason this is a reasonable alternative. I'll post pics though.

Thanks

Mike

Tariq Gibran

jcolwell wrote:
Tariq Gibran wrote:

No way! Show us, please. Both images of, and images from.

The SMC Pentax-A* 85mm f/1.4 and SMC Pentax-A* 135mm f/1.8 are at the top of my "most wanted" list, right next to the Schneider-K MF 80/2.8.

If you don't mind, what is the lens condition, and how much did it cost?

I was really lucky as I snagged it within minutes of it popping up on the auction site. Just over $1200 after currency conversion and it is really in MINT condition! Here are some pics of the lens and then a wide open test shot (hand held and not really sharp at 100% due to me!). I have not really shot anything serious yet except for test shots to make sure the lens performed up to it's legendary status. It does. Sharp wide open with great color and rendering. There is a little CA and fringing in very contrasty, back-lit situations until stopped down but both are completely correctable with ACR/ LR now. This is the best 85 I have ever used - better than the Canon 85 1.2L FD I once owned even.

Wide open at F 1.4:

crazeazn
Total Posts: 1718

Has the yen devaluation against the dollar affected anyone's purchases? How has the yen been against the Euro/Sterling?

jcolwell

Super score, Tariq. I'm happy for you, and a bit jealous.

Tariq Gibran

jcolwell wrote:
Super score, Tariq. I'm happy for you, and a bit jealous.

Thanks. Now the question is if I can be disciplined enough to hang onto it until a FF option shows up, either in the form of a Pentax or FF, short flange mirrorless. That's how I really want to use this lens.

PhotoMaximum
Total Posts: 1042

Wow, just freak'n wow!

Back in the late 80s and early 90's I used all Pentax gear, the LX bodies and a ton of the best A series lenses, even the mighty A* 400/2.8 ED IF.

But the Pentax A* 85/1.4 was the best lens I ever owned. I sold all of my Pentax gear to go auto focus for my daily newspaper job, but I always regret parting with the A* 85/1.4. It was a joy to handle, focus and it never let me down. Back then Lens & Repo magazine, if I remember the name correctly, had a cover article on the ten best lenses ever made and this Pentax made the list. A legendary but expensive optic for sure...

Congratulations!!!

PhotoMaximum

The Pentax A* 200/2.8 ED is a superb lens as well.

PhotoMaximum

I am shooting more interiors and my Canon 16-35/2.8 II was driving me nuts: just too soft in the corners. Its not really "Alt" but last Friday I caved and purchased the new 17/4 TS-E and so far I am a very happy camper. Without doubt the best Canon wide I have used...

Tariq Gibran

Thanks PhotoMaximum. One really nice attribute about this 85 - which you mentioned - is the focus. Not only is the focus action nice and smooth but it's really easy to see (even with my aging eyes) when things snap in and out of focus. I have owned other fast 85's which - due to lack of contrast wide open - were very difficult to know when the subject was in focus.

The other thing I'm noticing about this lens is how damn sharp and contrasty it gets when stopped down to F4 and beyond. Amazing. The color and gradation remind me of one of my other favorite lenses - the Leica R 50 Summicron (but the Summicron can't touch this Pentax as far as bokeh).

Gunzorro
Total Posts: 6496

Congrats Tariq!

And congrats PhotoMaximum -- I didn't realize how recently you'd acquired the 17 TS-E. You really need to try the 24 TS-E someday -- it's even sharper. But I'm loving that 17 myself.

If all goes well, I'll soon take possession of a rather humble Pentax M42 Super-Multi-Coat Takumar 135/2.5. I'd had the 135/3.5 and it was beautiful in condition and imaging, but I sold it as it was cumbersome and slow. I keep dancing around 135mm and always bail out, so I'll see if this Pentax is any different for me. In the last year I sold a Leica R 135/2.8 that was lovely, and a Contax Zeiss 135/2.8 that was in great shape. But that focal length -- neither did it for me when push came to shove. Maybe this little $66 Pentax will. ?

PhotoMaximum

Those older Takumar lenses make great smooth focusing lenses for shooting video...

LightShow
Total Posts: 4991

I have the Super-Tak 85/1.9 and its easily my best Pentax lens, so I'm looking forward to seeing what you post from the 85*

jcolwell

PhotoMaximum wrote:
The Pentax A* 200/2.8 ED is a superb lens as well.

Yes. The Mamiya A 200/2.8 APO is also superb; better, IMO.

briantho
Total Posts: 1081

Tariq Gibran wrote:
This is the best 85 I have ever used - better than the Canon 85 1.2L FD I once owned even.

Congrats on a fine lens. Do you mind clarifying in which way you think it's better than FD85? Is it the bokeh, sharpness, less CA or what? You sure it's not just that "new lens"-greatness feeling that makes it "better"?

ebookman
Total Posts: 655

My latest lens is a Leica Elmar 50mm f/2.8 for use on my Nex 5n with Fotodiox focusing adapter

Tariq Gibran

briantho wrote:
Tariq Gibran wrote:
This is the best 85 I have ever used - better than the Canon 85 1.2L FD I once owned even.

Congrats on a fine lens. Do you mind clarifying in which way you think it's better than FD85? Is it the bokeh, sharpness, less CA or what? You sure it's not just that "new lens"-greatness feeling that makes it "better"?

It has noticeably more contrast wide open and is a bit sharper as well which makes it much easier to focus for one thing. With the Pentax, focus "snaps" in and out. This was also an issue with the Samyang/ Rokinon 85 1.4. Poor wide open contrast making it somewhat difficult to focus.

The other quality which I find this Pentax A* really exceptional at is in color rendering. Part of it is obviously subjective but this lens has almost a Leica like rendering with color - not flat like Canon. All that said, I don't have both lenses to do side by side comparisons as I no longer own the Canon.

I do want to stress though, this is certainly not a "perfect" lens (as if one existed!). As I mentioned earlier, there is purple fringing, CA and other aberrations (mostly correctable as far as I have seen thus far) in higher contrast lighting situations until stopped down a bit - maybe 2.8 or so. But...I just love this rendering, even on boring test shots. Here is an out of camera jpeg shot wide open at 1.4 (I shoot jpeg+raw quite often) only re-sized and converted to sRGB for web. No color, contrast or WB enhancement beyond camera jpeg settings.

1       2       3              126      
       128              186       187       end