What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?
/forum/topic/982966/100

1       2       3              100      
       102              168       169       end

carstenw
Total Posts: 14892

I've wondered about these for a while now, they look very well built. I love my two Gitzos, but if I ever get a change to compare with the RRS, I will certainly do it. Sadly, the price isn't really competitive in Europe, at least that I have seen, due to the Gitzo being an Italian brand.

sebboh
Total Posts: 9656

buggz2k wrote:
Repurchase, as mine was stolen, of Minolta Rokkor 28/2.

49mm filter thread or 55mm?

onegreatcity
Total Posts: 1192

Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 35mm f2.4

Lee Saxon
Total Posts: 755

naturephoto1 wrote:
I have a Leica 280mm F4 Apo Telyt coming.

Rich

Bad. Ass.

You HAVE to post a beauty shot when you get it.

naturephoto1
Total Posts: 1462

Lee Saxon wrote:
naturephoto1 wrote:
I have a Leica 280mm F4 Apo Telyt coming.

Rich

Bad. Ass.

You HAVE to post a beauty shot when you get it.

Hi Lee,

Thanks. I am excited and looking forward to receiving it. Last tracking entry is that it is In bound in Customs in NYC as of yesterday. I hope to have it later this week. Obviously I have to check it out and make sure that is as described, focusing properly and removing some tape that appears in the photos to be covering the Leica red ball logos and the 77mm thread engraving on the lens.

Rich

RamónT
Total Posts: 110

carstenw wrote:
I've wondered about these for a while now, they look very well built. I love my two Gitzos, but if I ever get a change to compare with the RRS, I will certainly do it. Sadly, the price isn't really competitive in Europe, at least that I have seen, due to the Gitzo being an Italian brand.

I consider Gitzo a french brand. Yes, I know that now are made in Italy and the owner is the Vitec group but I have a lot of Gitzo tripods all made in France and for history and philosophy of the tripods (the same as the old ones) I think Gitzo is not an Italian brand like the Manfrotto products.

Ramón

Edgars Kalnins
Total Posts: 708

Contax 80mm f2 and Conquest 8x20. Saw them for good money and bought (which is worrying). Will try to adapt the first one

buggz2k
Total Posts: 1549

Is one model more preferable than the other?
I guess this is a late one as it is a MC W Rokkor-X ?
Though, the latest, last, version would be an MD model ?
It is 55mm filter, and comes with original caps and hood.
I don't even remember what my other one was.

sebboh wrote:
buggz2k wrote:
Repurchase, as mine was stolen, of Minolta Rokkor 28/2.

49mm filter thread or 55mm?

sebboh

buggz2k wrote:
Is one model more preferable than the other?
I guess this is a late one as it is a MC W Rokkor-X ?
Though, the latest, last, version would be an MD model ?
It is 55mm filter, and comes with original caps and hood.
I don't even remember what my other one was.

not sure if one is better, i have the MD W, with 55mm filter thread. the latest version is the MD (with no W) with 49mm filter threads. if i recall correctly, that is the one you had before.

JimBuchanan
Total Posts: 1430

sebboh wrote:
not sure if one is better, i have the MD W, with 55mm filter thread. the latest version is the MD (with no W) with 49mm filter threads. if i recall correctly, that is the one you had before.

The optical difference between the 2 versions of the MD 28/2.0 has been nagging at me for a while, as the late 49mm version uses one less element. I think I understand that the 49mm version has a plastic aperture ring and the 55mm version has a metal version. Sebboh, I was hoping you would enlighten the subject of the 49mm version, especially in relation to the Contax G 28 you are using on the NEX.

sebboh

JimBuchanan wrote:
sebboh wrote:

The optical difference between the 2 versions of the MD 28/2.0 has been nagging at me for a while, as the late 49mm version uses one less element. I think I understand that the 49mm version has a plastic aperture ring and the 55mm version has a metal version. Sebboh, I was hoping you would enlighten the subject of the 49mm version, especially in relation to the Contax G 28 you are using on the NEX.

i'd love to, but i can't find one. i'm still cursing the one that got away 3 years ago.

carstenw
Total Posts: 14892

carstenw wrote:
I was wrong. The next element had a spacer ring which was not fastened, and with a bit of jiggling, it just fell out. Then there was another retaining ring, and then another spacer and another element which fell out. Now the only one which is left is the one at the very tip, and it looks like it should unscrew, but I don't have the right tool for this. I am considering ordering it...

The status quo:

So, today I finally found the time and will to pull this through to the end. I recently bought a couple of ring-twister tools which I used to get the final ring off. In the photo above, you can see the camera-side half of the partially disassembled device in the bottom-right corner. At the tip of this was the last optical group. The ring surrounding this actually comes off, but it was hella stiff, and I had to resort to using the two ring-removal tools with a pair of thick leather gloves and a surface I could push down on for leverage. Finally I got it off, and the last two lenses came out.

Having done that, and with a bit of fiddling, thinking, and three assembly tries, I was able to get it back together in such a way that AI works, stopping down on the camera body works, and aperture readout (manual for Nikkor-compatible lenses) works. This all only worked because I didn't cut anything related, and kept all the prongs in place. I do have to use my ZF.2 lenses in manual mode for this to work, i.e. there is no electronic communication.

In the end, it is now a very cool little adjustable macro ring. I need to test my lenses a bit to see which lenses give sufficient working distance (I suspect that anything shorter than 35-50mm will not give sufficient distance to the subject), and which lenses hold up under such magnification. I have briefly tested the 50/2 MP ZF.2, and it seems okay. I need to put it on a tripod and do some careful tests, but I am hopeful. I imagine that the 100MP will also work, but with less magnification. Given the extreme sharpness of the 50P and 85P when stopped down, I wonder if they might be better?

cogitech
Total Posts: 11322

Does this count?

ShadowWalker
Total Posts: 2028

Olympus 60/2.8 Macro. Sweet. Amazingly small and light. And as a bonus, I found that the hood from the Pany 45-175 fits it.

crazeazn
Total Posts: 1633

cogitech wrote:
Does this count?

zeiss and nikon make some nice scopes too!

buggz2k
Total Posts: 1549

Thanks for the info Jim.
Is the one I have, MC W 28/2, able to be converted to EOS mount?
If so, I need to send it to you.
Oh, and I still have a Rokkor 85/1.7, of some type, somewhere...
I'd like to have it converted to EOS mount as well.

JimBuchanan wrote:
sebboh wrote:

wayne seltzer
Total Posts: 3967

JimBuchanan wrote:
sebboh wrote:

I have both versions both converted excellently by Jim.
Yes, the older version has one more element and is considered the better version.
I have not done side by side comparisons but I think the MC W is sharper wide open and has less vignetting with the larger front element.

sebboh

wayne seltzer wrote:
Yes, the older version has one more element and is considered the better version.
I have not done side by side comparisons but I think the MC W is sharper wide open and has less vignetting with the larger front element.

what are you waiting for compare them!!!

or we can meet up and compare them. from my experience with other rokkors i would expect the 49mm version to have more vignetting and weaker corners but higher contrast and better closeup performance. wide open performance i don't have a guess.

cogitech
Total Posts: 11322

crazeazn wrote:
cogitech wrote:
Does this count?

zeiss and nikon make some nice scopes too!

Indeed. And just like with camera lenses, the Zeiss scopes come at a hefty price!

wayne seltzer
Total Posts: 3967

sebboh wrote:
wayne seltzer wrote:

what are you waiting for compare them!!!

or we can meet up and compare them. from my experience with other rokkors i would expect the 49mm version to have more vignetting and weaker corners but higher contrast and better closeup performance. wide open performance i don't have a guess.

Ok, I will try to post some comparison shots soon!

1       2       3              100      
       102              168       169       end